• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out To My Depression Therapist

Guest Amy S

I am currently getting therapy for depression, and it is hard for me to tell my therapist everything. He may diagnose me as simply bored or sad if I don't come out. He may even contribute to my gender identity treatment, but it seems so difficult. He is coincidentally a therapist I saw for ADHD in my childhood, and it feels harder for me to approach the topic simply because I know him. How do I go about this?

Guest Donna Jean
I am currently getting therapy for depression, and it is hard for me to tell my therapist everything. He may diagnose me as simply bored or sad if I don't come out. He may even contribute to my gender identity treatment, but it seems so difficult. He is coincidentally a therapist I saw for ADHD in my childhood, and it feels harder for me to approach the topic simply because I know him. How do I go about this?

Listen, Baby....

How do you eat an orange?

You peel off the skin to get to the good part....

You must come out to your therapist or you're wasting your time and theirs!

I know that it's not an easy thing to do, but how can you progress if you clam up?

I can't tell you an easy way to do it outside of the fact that it must be done, but, you've been talking to them for a very long time...I would hope that you have enough trust in them by now to move further with this...

Good luck, Honey....

Let us know.....OK?

Donna Jean

Think of it this way, you've already told this person so many of your secrets so this is just one more.

You should be eager to tell your therapist about this as it is so often at the root of our depression.

Good luck, you know what you need to do.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest erikka2046

Hi Amy,

I am also getting therapy for my depression for a while. It was supposed to be just treatment for my long term depression. However, few months ago my brain just woke up and I discovered my GI problems. I thought a while should I tell my therapist or not since he's not highly trained for GID but he knows me very... Eventually, I gave it a shot because I think eveything in my mind are related, no matter depression, GID....etc.

I think the only way to get most of the benefits from my therapist is to tell the truth and everything I know without holding back. Things seems going ok although he puzzled a bit, fortunately he gave me many directions and mental thinking to see more of myself. I'll give it some time for the therapy, but I do have another thought if the therapy doesn't turn out ok I may have to see another therapist. Hope this may help you.

Luv

Erikka

Amy,

May I ask - did you get the diagnosis ADHD?

I'm asking becuase... I have an appointment about AD(H)D next Wednesday (and a second meeting with a gender therapist sorta guy Thursday) but I feel that 'well, I can't have/be BOTH can I?'

What always works for me if I have something difficult to say (not coming otu cuz I haven't done that to anyone) is imagine what the convo might be like, try out what thinks I might say. Practice, so to speak. It never goes as I thought it will, but at least I go with an opening line that I can blurt out to start things up.

9 times out of 10, the convo goes better and easier than I'd thought.

Good luck!!!

Amy,

May I ask - did you get the diagnosis ADHD?

I'm asking becuase... I have an appointment about AD(H)D next Wednesday (and a second meeting with a gender therapist sorta guy Thursday) but I feel that 'well, I can't have/be BOTH can I?'

What always works for me if I have something difficult to say (not coming otu cuz I haven't done that to anyone) is imagine what the convo might be like, try out what thinks I might say. Practice, so to speak. It never goes as I thought it will, but at least I go with an opening line that I can blurt out to start things up.

9 times out of 10, the convo goes better and easier than I'd thought.

Good luck!!!

Yes, I did get diagnosed, but I mostly acted out and didn't pay attention in class. My therapist now feels that I was misdiagnosed, from my last meeting. My next appointment is Monday, and I'm sure I can talk about my.. other problem with all of you supporting me. He already knows about my transgender friends. That might make it easier.

Spit it out! I had therapy for my anxiety and depression problems a year ago (though only for a couple of months) and it was really hard, especially the eye contact stuff she was trying to get me to do. After I came out, she told me that I seemed 100% more comfortable and eye contact and talking was much easier. And it was.

A therapist's job isn't to judge, criticize, or hurt you in any way, shape, or form, so don't worry about it. You need to be able to be comfortable with your therapist. Go go go!

How do I go about this?

Amy,

You take a deep breath,steel yourself and tell him who you are.

A therapist is there to be told the truth to,not to keep it all inside.Which being a depressive myself,keeping it all inside,only hurts yourself.Talking is releasing,and being absolutely honest with yourself.Voicing your concerns,getting them out of your head,will do you a world of good that somebody safe knows the truth of who you are.Depression for some(myself)is a constant battle.So do yourself a favor,and not worry about what he will think.Being honest and forthcoming can have a lot more healing benefits than you think.

Peace love and light,

Angie

Guest Donna Jean

Honey.......

Here is an interesting little piece of info for you.......

I told my therapist that I had a ton of issues ...anger, shame, guilt, confussion....and that I needed to work on all of these things...

Well, he told me that Gender related problems can be the basis of all of the other problems...

Clear up the gender issue and many, if not most of the other problems will clear themselves up...

And, you know what? It did! It worked!

As soon as I came out and accepted myself...most of my other issues magically went away....

So, muster up your courage and tell the therapist about this.....................OK?

Good luck and HUGGGS!

Donna Jean

I wish you luck. I did the same think (talked with my depression therapist about gender issue) sadly the way he approached it confused me as he kept expecting concrete solid answers for every open ended question he asked. Especially when it involved emotion and the thought process of every single decision and thought. You should hopefully have better luck as you have know your therapist longer than I have known mine (I've only had like, 4 some sessions with him?) so yours should know how to work with you better. Despite the confusion though, talking to him (my therapist) helped me out a lot, even if I didn't directly gain anything from it. Like Angie said, talking is releasing.

Guest Kayliegh

A "regular" therapist won’t know how to deal with gender issues – they’re not experienced nor know what advice to give you.

A GT will know what you’re going through and will be able to help you in so many ways more than a therapist.

Seek out a GT and you’ll finally find out where you are on the spectrum.

Hugs - Kayleigh

A "regular" therapist won’t know how to deal with gender issues – they’re not experienced nor know what advice to give you.

A GT will know what you’re going through and will be able to help you in so many ways more than a therapist.

Seek out a GT and you’ll finally find out where you are on the spectrum.

Hugs - Kayleigh

I have to disagree, here. This reply isn't useful for the intentions of diagnosing depression, and the therapist should be able to direct me to the proper help.