• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Wonder How Much Of My Wardrobe I Can Keep.

Guest Amy S

I have a lot of great guys' T-shirts. They generally have stars and maybe a skull or cross somewhere on them. The polos might look awkward, though. The design of them is just too much a guys' style. Then there is my jeans. My favorite clothing store is metrosexual oriented around the guys' area. Many of my pants are "slim" or form fitting. I have one pair of pants that is outright girly, and they even feel like they are built for a girl. A lot of my clothes have a metro, punk or maybe metalhead feel if the combination is outright dark. So, what should I take out of my wardrobe? The Wranglers and other loose pants may need to go. What should I add to my wardrobe?

Amy,

You are going to have to work on your style for yourself but I do believe that losing the loose - guy jeans is a good move.

The polos are usually more mannish and button backward to womens but some of the tee shirts will work.

Start looking through some magazines, watch the characters your age in your favorite TV shows and go to the malls and watch the girls your age and choose bits and pieces from the styles that you like until you find your own.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Robin Winter

I can't help much with what to add, I'm still working that one out for myself lol.

I guess I can't help much with what to keep either, but I do know that a LOT of girls in my area wear mens tee's, and really any other kind of mens shirt. I live in a pretty open, eclectic "city", here, though. Like you and Sally though, I kinda lean away from polo's as feminine wear, though I have seen polo-style shirts made for women that look ok on some girls.

Guest Donna Jean
Amy,

You are going to have to work on your style for yourself but I do believe that losing the loose - guy jeans is a good move.

Love ya,

Sally

Yep! I get only girl jeans any more...size 10 and they are narrow down the legs and come higher up than men's jeans...

The pockets seem awful hard to get into, though......

And T shirts seem to be pretty unisex...but maybe with "Hello Kitty" on them and not "Megadeath"!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean
LOL, DJ I just just as many girls wearing death metal tee's as I do hello kitty. I'm partial to the latter myself though :D

Well, heck, Baby......

I still wear my "Eagles Tour 1979" T shirt........

I was just making a point........LOL!

Donna Jean

For the record, I mostly like classic metal. My other interests are Michael Jackson and some alternative. I don't have any band merchandise that I can wear right now, though.

Guest erikka2046

Hi Amy,

I think for the guys T-shirts, if they are loose, you may need to let go of them. Polo is usually neutral but girls one are more slim fitted in the waist. As long as the fitting is right, the design usually doesn't matter too much .

I used ot have lot of metrosexual guys jeans, but now I'm just stick to mostly girl jeans or skinny ones. Many guys jeans are middle or high rise but girls are more middle to low rise to enhance the hips. Good fitting ones or stretchy material can make your bottoms looks better.

Metro, punk or metalhead are all ok since many girls wear them too, usually just the fitting and the sleeve design make the difference between boys and girls.

Material of your clothes is important too. Probably you heard a lot about girls like a certain piece because is so comfty and they are very sensitive to the feeling of garment on their skin. If you go shopping, girls clothes have so many different material compare to mens, even the same style or look, just the material can distinguish. If you have some very rough material cloths in your wardrobe, you may think of letting them go too.

Reading a lots of magazine and see how the girls around your age dress really help a lot. It will takes some time to establish you own dressing style, lot of trial and error....

Luv

Erikka

If it looks tomboyish, I don't mind. Some of my shirts may need to go, though. I do need a lot of girls clothes, though. I may need a few skirts or very tight pants because of a certain.. masculine shape that is more noticable than most guys. You should know what that is.

I wish I could somehow donate my discarded clothes to FTMs. They may be a little big, though, and a biological female is probably going to be shorter. He could be fat, though. By the way, I'm about 6'1. That's the speculative height of armorless Samus Aron, meaning I could perfectly cosplay in a power suit.

• 2 weeks later...

All I have to say is that I'M GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING!!!!!

i actually am giving a pound or 2 of clothing to the Salvation Army today.

Cant stand having useless clothes around that I will NEVER wear. Not only that, but I am going to shop at wal mart today for mens clothes, so if I buy any my house will get cluttered with things I want and things I dont want. lol

Good luck organizing piles. Just think of what your mother/favorite celeb/sister/any feminine person would and would not wear.

I'm doing that, but substituting feminine with masculine.

I have a lot of great guys' T-shirts. They generally have stars and maybe a skull or cross somewhere on them. The polos might look awkward, though. The design of them is just too much a guys' style. Then there is my jeans. My favorite clothing store is metrosexual oriented around the guys' area. Many of my pants are "slim" or form fitting. I have one pair of pants that is outright girly, and they even feel like they are built for a girl. A lot of my clothes have a metro, punk or maybe metalhead feel if the combination is outright dark. So, what should I take out of my wardrobe? The Wranglers and other loose pants may need to go. What should I add to my wardrobe?

Hi Amy,

Re your old stuff , I gave a lot of my "men"s stuff" to what I call *war on want shops*( bought some blouses in same too) . They cater for

people not too well off financially. If ya got those at home you could consider same. I absolutely adore feminine cloths , me 42 so I should say

""mature"" feminine cloths :rolleyes: . I had some t-shirts brought back from Boston as gifts with beautifully authentic Indian Head Dress

designs on them,4, and they gotta go :o way it is , they are guys stuff. But its worth it Amy , sure you agree, be feminine hun. be a girl, be you,

be happy. Luv, Viv. ..........( did I mention shoes???, oh viv, back in the box :rolleyes: )

• 2 months later...

At my school, alot of the scene-y and punk/metro girls wear looser tops like large t-shirts or button up shirts, etc (no polos though) and its usually combined with skinny jeans, leggings or tights+mini. I would say that leggings would be a good idea to add to your wardrobe, and that would go great with minis shorts or even normal length skirts. Otherwise, skinny jeans or if you want to go a little bit less casual, fitted menswear dressy pants would go fine with those tops, of course you're going to have to experiment and try stuff on together to see if any of what you have goes with what I suggested.