• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

First Time!

Guest kyattei

Guest kyattei

I just got back from my first time buying girl clothes! I've looked at them lots of times, but never could work up the courage to try any on or take them to the checkout counter...

I was in a rush because I was so nervous, and the "what are you doing here? o.e;;" looks some of the other women shoppers were giving me kinda got to me, so I only ever tried on one size of the stuff I bought and got too nervous to go back to those sections to pick up better fitting sizes. ._. And for anyone who was worried about me and the way I was talking about my weight earlier this week, I feel much better after today... apparently, even some "small" size girl clothes are a little big on me... ^^;;;

And checking out was even more nervous... I can just imagine the shades of red and purple my face must have taken on. ^^;;;; The cashier though commented without looking at me, "So you're buying christmas presents..." I nearly choked but got out "oh, um, yes!" xD;;;;

Soooo now I'm sitting here trying to calm down a little... I'm wearing a pair of girl jeans that are a teensy bit loose... a pink flower bracelet... a bright pink floral spaghetti-strap tank top that's big enough that it could pass as a babydoll... a girl's sweater with a little heart on it that's a little too small...

and despite the awkward sizes, I've never felt more comfy in my clothes in my entire life and I wouldn't trade them for anything! =)

How did the first time you bought clothes go? What'd you buy first?

it is a great feeling to wear your own clothes isn't it?

This is the perfect time for all of the 'first timers' to go out and buy their own clothing - everyone is starting to buy for Christmas presents so there is your cover story.

Do a little research on line first and get your sizes down pretty well but don't be afraid to ask the clerk if these brands run true to size - they will know and that is a perfectly fine question.

The first item I ever bought was pantyhose and I just put them into a a pile of other clothing when I got to the register I just paid for it all and no one said anything - now when I got to purchasing outer clothing and rather large shoes then I had a few looks but i did a lot of traveling in those days and I bought all of my clothing away from town.

Good luck to all of you.

Love ya,

Sally

Food advice there Sally..... Especially the Christmas shopping.... Best time to buy Is when the shops are Packed.... Trust me... NO-ONE will notice you... they all caught up in their own little lives.... AND the Staff are worked off their feet... SO if you Know what you want... walk in , pick it up and make your way to the register with a minimum of fuss... they will process the sale like good little robots... And probably not even lookat your face

Guest Angelgrlsue

My first time buying clothes was not too long ago and I was just as nervous as you were. I did not even try anything on, big mistake. Spent like two hours in the store going through everything trying to decide what to choose as well as going back and forth from the women's section to the men's section. Ended up only buying one top, when I arrived home and actually tried it on, it was too small. Lol. Will be going shopping again next week, will see how I do this time. Much better I hope.

Hugs,

Suzie

Guest kyattei
My first time buying clothes was not too long ago and I was just as nervous as you were. I did not even try anything on, big mistake. Spent like two hours in the store going through everything trying to decide what to choose as well as going back and forth from the women's section to the men's section. Ended up only buying one top, when I arrived home and actually tried it on, it was too small. Lol. Will be going shopping again next week, will see how I do this time. Much better I hope.

Hugs,

Suzie

Ohh, if there's a men section too, grab a men's hoodie or coat or something big so you can hide the girl clothes under it while taking it to the dressing room! That way you can get to try stuff on next time and it'd prolly help you feel less nervous. =) Good luck Suzie! I hope your next shopping experience goes better!

• Admin

I know just how you feel, Kyattie. I had been buying everything except makeup via the internet, but also wandering the isles of the department stores too.

One day recently I just made up my mind that I was going to do it. I wanted a sweater, and spent 30 nervous minutes in the petite section while looking

out of the corner of my eyes to see if I was being watched.

I found something I liked, thought it was the right size and took it to the cashier. She didn't even ask me if it was a gift, she just smiled and rang me

up and gave me my bag. I was soooo relieved and happy! Next time it will be easier, and I'm sure it will be easier for you too.

Good luck!

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kayliegh

Kyattie – I first bought my “real” clothes at Christmas time 20 years ago while shopping for my SO. I, too, was little nervous going up to the register. The cashier usually will ask “would you like a gift receipt? “ and I’ve usually said yes.

I was at Macy’s recently buying some under garments and the cashier asked the question and I said no! – There’s a first time for everything! (the only thing I dislike is not being able to try things on in the store 0 at least not yet!) ;)

Keep shopping! Soon, it will be much easier to “just be yourself!”

Hugs! - Kayleigh

Guest Michele H

Quote: Ohh, if there's a men section too, grab a men's hoodie or coat or something big so you can hide the girl clothes under it while taking it to the dressing room! That way you can get to try stuff on next time and it'd prolly help you feel less nervous. =) Good luck Suzie! I hope your next shopping experience goes better!

I DO NOT recommend this approach. You run the risk of being tagged as shop lifter. You have to walk into the store outwardly showing confidence - even if you dont feel it. It helps to remember a couple of key things - Sales people want to make a sale - most could care less what you buy. Customers are concerned with their own lives and as long as you are not doing something to call attention to yourself - like looking guilty or trying to hide, they won't even see you. If you are large enough that you wear plus sizes - stores that specalize in those sizes are used to trans and xdressing clients. - When i first started out, I was looking at Jeans in Lane Byrant, the lady explained their sizing (colors and numbers) and then suggested I try a red 2 - and told me to go ahead and try them on - I had just started hormones, still had short hair and didn't even come close to looking like a woman. After trying on the pair, I came out and discussed the fit with the sales lady. Yes, there was one customer who listened and was shaking her head but I just smiled at her. Rember your gonads are just misplaced overies - use'em.

Guest Margaret

Well done Kyattei, it can be a bit nerve wracking to start off with, but you will soon get used to it, and as is often said in the forums, the shop assistants are not bothered by it, and neither should you. I find that sizes in one shop aren't always the same in another, and now that I have a good idea of the sizes in the shops I regularly use, I avoid the expense of buying stuff that is the wrong size. I could never take anything back and say it was the wrong size, so the charity shops have had some nice new clothing from me over the years. If you are trying stuff on in a shop, don't take lots of items into the changing rooms, just a couple, as I find this attracts little attention from the staff. Most larger shops in the UK have someone keeping an eye on what is being taken into changing rooms, to prevent theft.

Margaret

Guest erikka2046

Well done Kyattei!

My first time was a few years ago, the time I didn't hear about transition. I just knew I like those knit tops so much and had to buy them. I was nervous like crazy, went in, grabbed the tops with the size should fit me and straight to the cashier in myabe less than 10 mins. The cashier was nice but I thought my face look like cow sending to slaughter...but not anymore. Just my own mind scare myself :)

Like everyone says sales person dosen't care as we're customers, just sometimes the other customers are a bit puzzled. I was quite uncomfortable when they are nearby and I thought thye may probably ask why a feminine man is here...... But shopping more makes me forget this thing, feel easier, more relax and know the etiquette when shopping with fellow GG. Shops with men and women clothes department are better and some with common dressing rooms even nicer. I think my mind set for shopping much better now, I may look not like 100% girl but there is nothing wrong for a girl to shop in girl's department. Once past that point and shopping become much more fun adn every girl love shopping!

Erikka

Guest Jean Davis

Hi Kyattei

My first purchace was a very nice red dress that I got through the internet. Since then I have purchaced many items using the sizeing guide on the stores web site, they seem to have most of their clothing run true to size through the internet because there is no no way for people to try stuff on and to have an item returned through the mail isn't making them anything. This is the way I learned my sizes. And from working at a department store I can let you know that the people working there usually don't remember anything that goes on in the store, that is unless you are trying to shoplift a big screen Tv or something like that. :lol: I have purchaced womens shoes at the store where I work and haven't heard anything from co-workers, they only care about getting their shift over with and going home. ;)

Quote: Ohh, if there's a men section too, grab a men's hoodie or coat or something big so you can hide the girl clothes under it while taking it to the dressing room! That way you can get to try stuff on next time and it'd prolly help you feel less nervous. =) Good luck Suzie! I hope your next shopping experience goes better!

I DO NOT recommend this approach. You run the risk of being tagged as shop lifter. You have to walk into the store outwardly showing confidence - even if you dont feel it. It helps to remember a couple of key things - Sales people want to make a sale - most could care less what you buy. Customers are concerned with their own lives and as long as you are not doing something to call attention to yourself - like looking guilty or trying to hide, they won't even see you. If you are large enough that you wear plus sizes - stores that specalize in those sizes are used to trans and xdressing clients. - When i first started out, I was looking at Jeans in Lane Byrant, the lady explained their sizing (colors and numbers) and then suggested I try a red 2 - and told me to go ahead and try them on - I had just started hormones, still had short hair and didn't even come close to looking like a woman. After trying on the pair, I came out and discussed the fit with the sales lady. Yes, there was one customer who listened and was shaking her head but I just smiled at her. Rember your gonads are just misplaced overies - use'em.

As for being tagged as a shoplifter, the stores up here in Wisconsin have people who count the number of articles you walk into the dressing room with and the number you walk out with. Normally they don't care what you walk in with but every so often you get a store rep that asks if you would care to leave the womans articles with them as you try on your selections, all you have to do is politely say that you would like to take them in with you and they won't think anything of it. Most stores train their employees to be non-judgemental and not to say anything, the corporation only cares about the sale and any employee that says anything can get in alot of trouble if you complain to the management. Remember you hold the power in the department stores, the corporation will do just about anything to keep their reputation clean. That's what keeps the customers comming back. :P

LUV

Jean

Guest Donna Jean

Over the years of my cross dressing I would obtain whatever I could, where ever I could...

And it was hide...hide...hide!

Then ....realization! I'm Trans....

Now I HAVE to get the correct clothes!

So, early on I'd be out with my wife and hand her what I wanted and let her carry it to the register and I would just pay for it... (what a wuss, eh?)

But as the months went by I became more breve (less afraid?) and I started picking out my own things!

Now I'll go alone and get whatever I need/want ..no problem...

I guess that anymore my needs outweigh my fears....There must just be a place that you get to where it doesn't really matter any more...

And I think that's where I'm at!

Donna Jean

• Admin

I'm getting more comfortable every time I shop. I needed a nightgown for my trip and went into Wally World on my way home from work.

Yup, I was in a shirt and tie. Found the womens sleepwear section, found some cute cotton nightgowns, measured them against my body

for the proper fit (no, still can;t work up the courage to take stuff into the fitting room <_< ) found one I liked (pink and gray - Yay!)

and bought it.

It didn't hurt that I was able to use the self checkout :). Still, I felt pretty good.

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Kyattie. It was handy and the same subject. Thanks!

Carolyn Marie