• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Name Changes Where I Live.

Guest Robin Winter

Guest Robin Winter

Wow, it's cheaper than I thought! This is copy/pasted directly from the Provincial Governments vital statistics page.

Change of Name (one person):

$149.04 (no tax charged) This fee includes one change of name certificate showing all name changes.

Each additional change:

$22.41 (no tax charged), such as marriage registration, spouse’s name, children’s names.

Notice of intention to change surname:

$26.61 payable to the Department of Justice.

Not sure what that last one is for, but still, about 200.00 total, that's much cheaper than I had expected :D Remember, this is Canadian dollars, too, and I'm pretty sure they're still worth a lot less than the U.S. dollars. So this is a good price, I think.

Pretty exciting! I can afford this!

Congratulations - about time something was affordable.

When are you getting the name change?

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Robin Winter

I should add though that I'm not sure if the same process applies for changes for this particular reason, but I don't know why it wouldn't, a name change is a name change, yes?

Guest Robin Winter
Congratulations - about time something was affordable.

When are you getting the name change?

Love ya,

Sally

Honestly, I'll probably do it once I'm completely out, including with the work situation. It'll be more for my own comfort at first anyway, I really doubt many of the people I know will immediately jump into calling me my chosen name. But It'll feel good to use it legally :D Gonna have to think of a middle name though................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Honestly, I'll probably do it once I'm completely out, including with the work situation. It'll be more for my own comfort at first anyway, I really doubt many of the people I know will immediately jump into calling me my chosen name. But It'll feel good to use it legally :D Gonna have to think of a middle name though................hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I used my real name for six years before name change.

When it came time to do it legally,I hired a lawyer for my gender marker as well.

He called my ex and asked her what my female name is and how long I have used it.

Without any warning or prompting from me,she corroberated everything I had told him.

And two weeks ,later I got everything I asked for.It,name change,even without the marker,sets you free to let the world know you are in fact a woman.On the day you are awarded the legal change,will be a very happy day for you indeed ummmhmm.

Angie

Guest Donna Jean

Well, Good luck, Shi!

Yeah, I sure can't wait to have "Donna Jean" staring back at me from my DL and other papers!

I was thinking, though...I need to learn to write it out long hand...

I mean, I type it here every day...Hummmmm...........

Your prices sound just right, too, Shi....I think I saw it advertised here for $139 so, I guess that's in the ballpark.

And, I agree with you...a name change is a name change....TA-DA!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Joanna Phipps
Wow, it's cheaper than I thought! This is copy/pasted directly from the Provincial Governments vital statistics page.

Change of Name (one person):

$149.04 (no tax charged) This fee includes one change of name certificate showing all name changes.

Each additional change:

$22.41 (no tax charged), such as marriage registration, spouse's name, children's names.

Notice of intention to change surname:

$26.61 payable to the Department of Justice.

Not sure what that last one is for, but still, about 200.00 total, that's much cheaper than I had expected :D Remember, this is Canadian dollars, too, and I'm pretty sure they're still worth a lot less than the U.S. dollars. So this is a good price, I think.

Pretty exciting! I can afford this!

the 26$ is for fingerprinting and record search

Guest Robin Winter

Ahhh, don't remind me about the writing part. My handwriting is DECIDEDLY male, and I can not seem to make it look smoother, or consistent for that matter. I've always been a computer geek, so I usually type everything. Even my printed hand is barely legible, and my hand cramps up quickly when I try to make it look nice and neat. No idea what to do about this.