• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Guys Shop Too!

Guest CJwar

I was getting a bit jealous, all the ladies were talking about all the stuff that they bought for the first time or whatever. And I was thinking, "Hey...guy's shop too!"

So today, I got paid...and I went shopping for big boys clothes. Lol. Basically though I dress pretty boyish as it is...I don't have any men's jeans. So that's what I was in the market for. And wow, men's jeans are so different from girls jeans. I mean..the cut, the style..the colors and the designs. It was a little overwhelming. I went in looking for regular old jeans...expecting to see either light or dark, or somewhere in between. I even thought maybe I'd see some black ones...but I wasn't ready for what I saw.

So I left...without jeans. But it's okay, cause I still got some really cool graphic tee's...kind of like graffiti style over a white shirt, and a got a black one too. You know what else I bought?

I order my very first packer, and my very first binder!...let me tell you, I tried the new Under Armour compression shirts and shorts. The shorts are great, I love em...it's even got a pouch on the front of the crotch, so my packy should go in there nicely. But the shirts? A waste of time, I mean..they do compress, but I was gonna try to use them as a binder, and that just wasn't working. They basically gave my chest a round shape, just like if you put on a sports bra, it just pushed them down. So..I don't know if I should take them back, I mean I love UA stuff, but...eh I don't know.

Oh..and why is it that when you're trying to shop the sales person keeps trying to harass you? I mean, I'm minding my own business and this woman keeps asking me if she can help me, if she can help me find something. She kept doing this like every 10 or so minutes...if I took more than a remote interest in something she was over there. Argh...Pushy sales people make my shopping difficult. I hardly know what I'm looking for, I just like to look and if I see something I buy it..that's it.

Do you guys have any shopping stories to tell? Good or bad ones, I'd like to hear em.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey,

How I deal with pushy sales people is this...

Salesperson:

"Hi can I help you with something?"

Me:

"No" <look them in the eye so that they understand to not ask you that again>

If they don't quite get it and continue with some schpeal about their sales and product lines, I add...

"I know what I am looking for... thank you" <again, looking at them to get away now>

I always ultimately get the "well let me know if you need any help" and then they walk away (tail between the legs).

Anyway :)

Congrats on your new purchases. If I may suggest that if you are lookig for simple mens jeans, go to Walmart. They sell basic blue and black jeans for about $15.00 to $20.00 a piece. I have noticed that in Walmart, people from all genders are buying clothes from every department. Don't worry, you won't stand out in the slightest.

Love

Brenda

Good Idea Brenda, thanks for the advice...

I am kinda sad though. No one has shopping stories to tell? No one!?

Eh I guess it's this economy...I personally can't wait till the cost of living and pay from employment are at least in the same range again.

Guest Donna Jean

CJ.................

It's time to plug my very favorite shopping place....

Goodwill!

Yep!

You don't go in there for anything specific...it's all "Hey! Look at that!"

The finds that you can make in there are incredible...

Men's ...women's...kids...coats...jeans...shirts...

Many times I buy stuff with the new store tag still on it!

And, it's CHEAP! DANG YEAH!

I once bought a leather motorcycle jacket in there...a $400 jacket for $12!

Of course that was in another lifetime.....LOL

Check it out, Baby....might surprise you!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Robin Winter

I get that a lot when I'm perusing the cosmetics. Obviously since I'm "Male" I have no idea what I'm doing there and must need help. My usual response is "No thanks, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for" which tends to confuse them and they slowly walk away looking bewildered. Not sure why....

Guest erikka2046

A few years ago when I was in a store, a girl keep asking me to buy a kind of shampoo. I said no thanks and walked away, but she kept coming back and I insisted no. However she didn't give up and eventually pulling my arm and don't want me to go unless I buy the shampoo. Finally I told her "No!" and "What's wrong"? Finally, I walked out the store..... its so wierd :unsure:

Shilo, that happens to me a lot too when I am in a cosmetic store or in the cosmetic department. I think they are very curious and ask to find out why I am there. Sometimes I do ask for some suggestions since I really get lost in the sea of cosmetics.

Erikka

Guest joeytheman16

Well, this was before I came out or even found out that transitioning was an option. I had a short hair cut at the time and I was school clothes shopping at JC Penny. I was buying guys clothes since that is what I have always worn. I went to go try on clothes and at this JC Penny, there wasn't the person at the front to give me the little item number tab thing. So I just went to go into the female's dressing room. A lady worker comes from nowhere screaming "Young man you need to get out of the women's dressing rooms!" I was in complete and total shock...

Joey

• Forum Moderator
CJ.................

It's time to plug my very favorite shopping place....

Goodwill!

Yep!

You don't go in there for anything specific...it's all "Hey! Look at that!"

The finds that you can make in there are incredible...

Men's ...women's...kids...coats...jeans...shirts...

Many times I buy stuff with the new store tag still on it!

And, it's CHEAP! DANG YEAH!

I once bought a leather motorcycle jacket in there...a $400 jacket for $12!

Of course that was in another lifetime.....LOL

Check it out, Baby....might surprise you!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Hey Dee Jay,

We;'ve got 2 Goodwill Stores over here. The big one up on Maple Ave and the smaller one down in Southtown on Rt22 at the Zane Plaza shopping strip; right behind the new bank.

Last year, we stopped in and I was looking for a barn coat. Boy, did I ever find one. It was brand new, witha tiny tear, and was filled with goose down. It'd sold at Old Navy close to 150-200.00. I got it for $5.00. And, baby is it toasty warm. The cold outside doesn't go through it all.

Last year, Jean bought an almost brand new London Fog, petite, for $7.00. Heck, we usually stop in ther at least once a month. Really have some great bargins too. We also donate to them. I've also found some very nice suits,ties and 2 brand new shirts 2 weeks ago. Funny, I'd been looking at these 2 shirt colors up at Penny's but didn't want to spend that much money. I paid $2.98 each and they'd never been worn.

At Christmas time, I see a lotta folks doing their shopping in there. WE got a bunch of teddy bears we're giving to the Salvation Army. We're also going to buy some canned goods at Aldis to donate for Christmas baskets. Nope, I ain't bragging, we just love to give at Christmas time and in fact we do it all year long. That's what the Good Book says, "Give and it shall be given unto you".

Mike

First off, I just want to say, Mike....If we're talking about the same Maple Avenue, we live in the same place! hahaha.

Second..shopping. I'm glad I'm not the only guy with a shopping habit. I figure most of the time it's my gay side coming out. :) I know what you mean about guys jeans CJ, they take a while to get used to. I only have 2 pairs that I wear because the rest of the ones I have I don't like the way they fit. It's kind of hit or miss with a feminine body type, trying to find mens jeans to look right.

Goodwill is amazing!! Last time I was there I picked up a brand new Abercrombie and Fitch sweater for a buck, oh yeah! I'm also a fan of Gabriel Brothers...not sure if other states have them, but it's a really big discount store. They basically carry whatever stores have left over at the end of seasons. I buy a lot of really nice Express button downs and dress pants there for pretty cheap. Anyway...I love shopping. :)

--Konnor

Guest Robin Winter

Ya ya, I'm not a guy, but the goodwill thing got me. I don't shop there, but we have a place called Value Village which is basically all donated items, and I've run across tons that still have the sales tags. I got my first pair of ladies jeans there, and a faux suede jacket with fur lining (also not real, but still nice).

I've actually done a lot of shopping there over the years.

Great places. :)

I think the reason I have so many problems, is because I'm still trying to figure out my size. Like I know my shirt size, and shoes, and boxers and all that good stuff. But dress shirts, and jeans/pants elude me.

Cause I looked at the charts, and by the charts it says that I should be a 34/32 and I'm like cool. So I get exactly those, slide them up...and realize oh my...I have a butt. So I guess I need add a bit, to compensate it. Hmm.

You guys ever get those sale's girls that try to like tell you what's hot and stuff. And here's a good one, why do women work in a all mens store? I understand they help sell clothes better, but she makes me uncomfortable in my skin. Anyway, This one girl kept telling me what was hot, like I was looking at shoes, and I'm currently a vans guy...I went from jordan's to nike's to van's...and haven't changed since. But I was looking at world industries...and she kept telling me all this info about how the company is getting really popular, and how they have much more variety than vans...try to sell me the facts on them! I just silently nod and try to continue looking without trying to be interested in what she is saying, because if I suggest the slightest interest then that will keep her talking.

But I do want to try the goodwill, see what they have. I know one of my old college friends said they found a really good couch in there for $50, what a steal.

CJ, I have the big butt problem too lol. I know guys who wear smaller jeans than I do who outweigh me by 50+ lbs. It's crazy! But yeah, you usually do need to either find a cut with a roomier fit, or size up and wear a belt. I seem to have giant thighs for a guy too. Ugh. :( Oh, and on dress shirts...they have a collar number which is the 15 through like 19 number...best thing to do for that is just measure it. Then the other number, if it has two, is the sleeve length. I think most of my shirts are 15 1/2-32s and they fit fairly well. I wish they had ones with shorter sleeves, but I'm not custom ordering shirts that I don't wear that often. Hope this helped mate.

--Konnor

Body type:

Tall(basic mens height), slim("under weight") - think of me like a pole.

Pants:

Ever since I switched to mens pants I don't have to wear belts!(unless I get super large ones for the baggyness). Its so nice. In all my female pants I've had to wear belts or keep pulling my pants up - it was that way my whole life.

Shirts:

I have had a problem with shirts lately. When I first came out I bought a bunch of good shirts. The problem is the shirts are too short now because I grew in height. :wacko:

Undies:

I'm still shy when I go and buy mens undies(Yes, I call them undies). I like boxer shorts only but I take a small in mens. So it takes me extra time to sort through all the larges to find the small. I get blushed and nervous for standing in the undies area too long. lmao

I used to be so nervous when I shopped. But I kinda got a tude about it...like, I can't remember who said it in another post topic but they said..walk in there like you own it...and ever since then thats what I do.

yes Konnor you're not alone! There is nothing wrong with buying clothes you like and wanting to look good...not every guy has to have the "I don't care" idea when it comes to getting dressed.

As far as jeans...hips, thighs butts...yeah I basically just added two extra sizes in order to accomadate...and now my jeans fit like they should. I can't wait to start packing...but my binder still has yet to come, so I think that would look a bit awkward.

Zabrak, about the undies...I used to feel that way, but...I noticed that no one really looks when you buy them. I started with a large cause I wasn't sure how they were cut...not I know that I wear a medium...its weird how I could shop from undies easier than I could jeans and shirts...

oh...update real quick. I went back to wal-mart...and I got some new shirts. One of the shirts says, " The internet is down so I decided to come outside." and then I got this really awesome black and white shirt of all the latest marvel characters, pencil drawn on it. I love shopping...I love it even more if I can do it with friends.