• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

1870..wife Of Custer's Officer...

Guest Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

I would say the 1870's were a very hard time for the women of Fort Abraham Lincoln. First there was the Saturday of June 25, 1876, when over two hundred and twenty of their husbands were left dead and mutilated on the windswept hills overlooking the Little Big Horn River. They called that Custer's Last Stand......

This is an interesting read...not only for the historic content, but for the answer to the riddle....

http://www.dailykos.com:80/story/2009/11/6...234/-IN-SERVICE

Have a look and see what you think......OK?

HUGGS!!

Donna Jean

Guest ~Brenda~

DJ,

I have often wondered how transgendered people survived back in the day when being transgendered was not even acknowledged. I have thought of ancient Roman times, the middle ages, even prehistoric times. Indeed, this poor woman survived as she could being herself.

Thanks for sharing.

We all trudge along

Brenda

Guest Elizabeth K

Very interesting! There are various tales in the history books of men who were later found to be women, but very few going the other way. Knowing todays statistics on gender dysphoria, and if modern circumstances were also applicable to the past, there were many many unhappy people in history. What a terrible waste of life experience.

Lizzy

• Forum Moderator

Dee Jay,

Thanks for this very interesting article.

I visited out there back in the early 70's. I was driving cross country from Boston to Seattle. Anyway, the Battlefield is an awesome place. The little graveyard, the museum and the surrounding grounds. I found the museum to be very interesting, if I recall Custer's saddle and some other stuff was in there, plus other stuff from the battle. But, it was the modt errie place I've ever visited. You could feel the Spirits all around you. You see the Native Americans coming up outta the ravines , the screams and blood.

I'd love to travel back out there. Now, they've got a nice RV park and other stuff, that they didn't have back then.

Mike

This thread brings up a fascinating subject for me---one which I could write or talk about for hours: While transgendered people are just now coming forward in western post-modern society and fighting for acceptance, we have been around forever and in many cultures. Consider the berdaches of the North American Indians and the hyjras of India as two examples. Transgendered people were in fact only forced into the closet because of one simple historic fact: the historic God of Christianity, Judaism and Islam forbade the ancestors of these 3 religions from practicing and observing the customs of other, poly-theistic religions where in some cases transgendered people held special place and or were thought to have special powers. I would argue that the scriptures themselves were not exclusionary of transgendered people themselves per se--that is probably another whole thread and I will not address that here. Anyway suffice to say that Mrs. Nash had been a useful, productive and contributing person in her community and functioned in her role as a wife to an army officer. Historically in hunter/gatherer cultures where there was often social segregation of the sexes, transgendered people served an important purpose and were accepted and often revered for their functions and contributions to the fabric of their communities.

ricka

I would say the 1870's were a very hard time for the women of Fort Abraham Lincoln. First there was the Saturday of June 25, 1876, when over two hundred and twenty of their husbands were left dead and mutilated on the windswept hills overlooking the Little Big Horn River. They called that Custer's Last Stand......

This is an interesting read...not only for the historic content, but for the answer to the riddle....

http://www.dailykos.com:80/story/2009/11/6...234/-IN-SERVICE

Have a look and see what you think......OK?

HUGGS!!

Donna Jean

Thanks Donna Jean,

What an amazing read, viv.