• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Cost Of Doctor Visits

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

Hey everyone. I'm 17 and my parents have basically told me that if I want to transition, they won't stop me but they won't help either. I'm turning 18 in December and going off to college in about a year. So I'm trying to get a financial picture for transition. I have a pretty good idea of what hormones cost, but what do the doctor visits cost? I doubt insurance covers any of this, so I'm wondering what a straight-up initial consultation costs, bloodwork, checkups, etc. Is it even feasible for a soon-to-be-in-debt college student?

And what about facial hair removal?

I want your personal experiences but general information is good too.

Hey,

Good to see such a happy face.

I could not afford the blood work and doctor's visits and was resigning myself to another year without hormones until my therapist told me about a program at a nearby GLBT center - blood work for $80 and Doctor's visits are free.

There is a catch - the free visits are one day a month - so you can have some pretty long waits - but believe me it was worth it!

Check around there should be one eapecially near a major college.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest NatalieRene

In DC therapy runs me $144 per session, $1630 for a 5 session package of laser for facial hair removal, $325 for my initial visit to my endocrinologist visit coming up. I don't know yet how much the blood work will cost or how much the follow up visits will cost. The metro DC area is extremely expensive and health insurance, or at least Care First, hasn't assisted me in the financial burden at all. To cover my expenses I have been cutting unnecessary monthly expenses like cable tv and my personal cell phone. If you can find ways to trim expenses you can more easily fit the costs of transitioning into a fixed income, but you have to sacrifice a few comforts along the way for at least a while.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno

There's this group in Chicago called the Howard Brown Health Center for LGBT health stuff. Their website doesn't say they offer endocrinology specifically, but they do offer "Gynecological services", and this may fall under that category I guess. I sent them an email with some questions. I'll let you know their response.

Does anyone know of any other places in the Chicago area that might have services like Sally's talking about?

Guest NatalieRene
There's this group in Chicago called the Howard Brown Health Center for LGBT health stuff. Their website doesn't say they offer endocrinology specifically, but they do offer "Gynecological services", and this may fall under that category I guess. I sent them an email with some questions. I'll let you know their response.

Does anyone know of any other places in the Chicago area that might have services like Sally's talking about?

If you find a therapist that has experience with our situation there is a chance that he/she might know of such a place that you are looking for.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno
If you find a therapist that has experience with our situation there is a chance that he/she might know of such a place that you are looking for.

Yeah, I have one. I'm seeing him tomorrow. He's the one who told me about Howard Brown. I'll get real practical and ask him specific questions tomorrow.

On a side note, looking through some of the services available for LGBT out there... I'm truely blessed. They advertise walk-in visits for homeless and runaway children. It's one thing to have unsupportive parents. It's another thing entirely to not even have a roof over your head, let alone while battling gender confusion. My problems never seem too big to me, but they look absolutely tiny now.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno
In DC therapy runs me $144 per session, $1630 for a 5 session package of laser for facial hair removal, $325 for my initial visit to my endocrinologist visit coming up. I don't know yet how much the blood work will cost or how much the follow up visits will cost. The metro DC area is extremely expensive and health insurance, or at least Care First, hasn't assisted me in the financial burden at all. To cover my expenses I have been cutting unnecessary monthly expenses like cable tv and my personal cell phone. If you can find ways to trim expenses you can more easily fit the costs of transitioning into a fixed income, but you have to sacrifice a few comforts along the way for at least a while.

This is exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Anyone else have specifics they're willing to share?

Guest Donna Jean

Sweetheart....

Let me add that Wal Mart has a $4 prescription plan as does a couple other drug stores....check around for that...

And, my electrolysis is $45 an hour or $105 for 3 hours...that also varies greatly....

I shop for clothes at Goodwill....lots of variety and , of course, you can't beat the prices!

Searching things out pays off!

Good luck, Baby!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Angelgrlsue

I'm doing the same thing Sally is doing and going to a community clinic that has a special program just for the transgender community. It only cost me $20.00 for blood work, doctor visit and consultation. I go back on the 19th of this month to start my HRT.

Hugs,

Suzie

Guest NatalieRene
Sweetheart....

Let me add that Wal Mart has a $4 prescription plan as does a couple other drug stores....check around for that...

And, my electrolysis is $45 an hour or $105 for 3 hours...that also varies greatly....

I shop for clothes at Goodwill....lots of variety and , of course, you can't beat the prices!

Searching things out pays off!

Good luck, Baby!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Thats a good point I forgot about the prescription costs. If I recall I think it was Sally that mentioned that CVS costs like $100 for the same prescription as Walmart so stay away from CVS. If you have a costcos you can use their pharmacy without being a member. You just tell the person at the front door that you are there to use the pharmacy and they will let you in. I haven't checked yet to see how much they cost but I have heard they tend to be cheap for filling perscriptions.