• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Um Wow Lds Stands With Lgbt Community In Utah

Guest Joanna Phipps

Guest Joanna Phipps

http://www.telegram.com/article/20091112/NEWS/911120705/1052/RSS01&source=rss

Mormons back gay-rights plan

Anti-discrimination laws OK’d

By Eric Gorski THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Nov. 12, 2009

It looked like a stunning reversal: the same church that helped defeat gay marriage in California standing with gay-rights activists on an anti-discrimination law in its own backyard.

On Tuesday night, after a series of clandestine meetings between local gay-rights backers and Mormons in Salt Lake City, the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced it would support proposed city laws that would prohibit discrimination against gays in housing and employment.

The ordinances passed and history was made: It marked the first time the Salt Lake City-based church had supported gay-rights legislation.

The Mormon church — which continues to suffer a backlash over its support last year of Proposition 8, the measure banning gay marriage in California — emphasized that its latest position in no way contradicts its teachings on homosexuality.

But the action is one of the strongest signs yet that even conservative religious groups that oppose same-sex marriage might be willing to support legal protections for gays that fall short of that.

At the same time, the church’s position has angered some of its conservative allies on social issues, prompted questions about whether public relations is its real motivation, and put the church on the spot over how far it will go on similar legislation on the state and federal level.

“This is a very good public relations response that has the additional benefit of actually representing the way the current church leadership thinks,” said Armand Mauss, a retired professor at Washington State University and scholar of Mormonism.

Some of the church’s conservative allies in the gay marriage battles, however, call it a setback. The two new ordinances make it illegal to fire or evict someone for being gay, bisexual or transgender.

Such legislation robs employers and landlords of their rights and gives legal ammunition to judges sympathetic to gay marriage, said Peter Sprigg, senior fellow for policy studies at the conservative Family Research Council.

“It’s disappointing and I’m fearful that it reflects in part a reaction to the attacks they came under after Proposition 8 — an effort to bend over backwards to exhibit tolerance toward homosexuals in some way,” Sprigg said.

Michael Otterson, director of public affairs for the Mormon church, said Wednesday that church leaders were able to support the ordinance because it doesn’t carve out special rights for gays.

Supporting “basic civil values,” Otterson said, does not compromise the church’s religious belief that homosexuality is a sin and that same-sex marriage poses a threat to traditional marriage.

“There are going to be gay advocates who don’t think we’ve gone nearly far enough, and people very conservative who think we’ve gone too far,”

Otterson said. “The vast majority of people are between those polar extremes and we think that’s going to resonate with people on the basis of fair-mindedness.”

The position is not a reversal, Otterson said. In August 2008 the church issued a statement saying it supports gay rights related to hospitalization, medical care, employment, housing or probate as long as they “do not infringe on the integrity of the traditional family or the constitutional rights of churches.”

Guest Anna_Banana

As the article said, this is merely for public image. They don't want to appear "unhumanitarian" at a time when the LDS church is mainly viewed in a negative fashion.

.Anna

• 4 months later...
Guest kumkwatgirl

Hah!

This is like the Olympics. Ut was essentially the Mormons bid but it was never publicized. They didn't show a single Utah add during the Olympics but everyone her knows that it was to "spread the faith."

This is without a doubt an attempt by the church to keep the church in good standings among the liberal rest of the world.

I live in the Salt Lake Valley the only place in the state where you used to be able to find a Democrat in office (go Rocky) and its still very anti LGBT. I mean I have to say "forgive me if you're mormon but..." every time I say anything at all liberal. I'm pretty well abused already for just saying that gay couples are good people. GOOD PEOPLE! Not that they are being denied rights or anthing just GOOD PEOPLE. I should say that I have a gay cousin who is the coolest guy ever. One time I was the only kid in an overcrouded class of 42 that supported gay marriage . Just for this I get verbal abuse and I've lost a couple friends too. And yet lesbians are still perfectly acceptable because its "hot" in the term of our Student Body PRESIDENT.

All of this is because the take tax payers money to go to SEMINARY for an hour and a half each day to learn how to be a good missionary and not get a grade in school. Because their parents take them and their four to nine(the highest among my aquaintences) siblings to church every Sunday from the time that they are one. Because the dead need to be babtized in proxy to give them a chance to go to their special heaven planet when they accept the mormon faith in purgatory. And because they've been plain brainwashed. With extra starch to keep their brains wrinkle free and in line.

So in short, the day that I see a true mormon (not those that don't believe and only go because their parents make them) support a transgendered person is the day that I flunk out of school. (straight As in the AP classes with 8 clubs and an associates degree out of high school too. Yes I do have free time)

And forgive me if you're mormom but they big me and every close friend I have. I admit that there are those that actually think for themselves and avoid the churchs narrow minded views. Those people can be my friends. And they are all good people. But good and accepting or free thinking or fully educated are miles apart.

If I have ofended you in any way with this rant then deal with it. I have to every day of my life.

Haley

If you want to tell me your opinions I log on about every other day now. So PM me. Or not. I'm cool with that.

One more thing. My closet feels more like my secret service than anything else here in the Beehive State. Work work. Don't ask questions.

Guest praisedbeherhooves

I think it's awesome that they are doing this, even if it is just PR. It shows that there is enough support for gay rights that even the Mormon Church has to at least pretend to be for it.

Guest SuperKali

I live in Salt Lake valley. This is great news. Even if its just so they can have a "good" public standing. it makes me feel like the church is finally growing up a little bit.

Guest JKarician
Hah!

This is like the Olympics. Ut was essentially the Mormons bid but it was never publicized. They didn't show a single Utah add during the Olympics but everyone her knows that it was to "spread the faith."

This is without a doubt an attempt by the church to keep the church in good standings among the liberal rest of the world.

I live in the Salt Lake Valley the only place in the state where you used to be able to find a Democrat in office (go Rocky) and its still very anti LGBT. I mean I have to say "forgive me if you're mormon but..." every time I say anything at all liberal. I'm pretty well abused already for just saying that gay couples are good people. GOOD PEOPLE! Not that they are being denied rights or anthing just GOOD PEOPLE. I should say that I have a gay cousin who is the coolest guy ever. One time I was the only kid in an overcrouded class of 42 that supported gay marriage . Just for this I get verbal abuse and I've lost a couple friends too. And yet lesbians are still perfectly acceptable because its "hot" in the term of our Student Body PRESIDENT.

All of this is because the take tax payers money to go to SEMINARY for an hour and a half each day to learn how to be a good missionary and not get a grade in school. Because their parents take them and their four to nine(the highest among my aquaintences) siblings to church every Sunday from the time that they are one. Because the dead need to be babtized in proxy to give them a chance to go to their special heaven planet when they accept the mormon faith in purgatory. And because they've been plain brainwashed. With extra starch to keep their brains wrinkle free and in line.

So in short, the day that I see a true mormon (not those that don't believe and only go because their parents make them) support a transgendered person is the day that I flunk out of school. (straight As in the AP classes with 8 clubs and an associates degree out of high school too. Yes I do have free time)

And forgive me if you're mormom but they big me and every close friend I have. I admit that there are those that actually think for themselves and avoid the churchs narrow minded views. Those people can be my friends. And they are all good people. But good and accepting or free thinking or fully educated are miles apart.

If I have ofended you in any way with this rant then deal with it. I have to every day of my life.

Haley

If you want to tell me your opinions I log on about every other day now. So PM me. Or not. I'm cool with that.

One more thing. My closet feels more like my secret service than anything else here in the Beehive State. Work work. Don't ask questions.

Hello Haley, having lived in Utah for 19 years, transitioning there and growing up in the LDS church I share many of your sentiments regarding the religion. A strong majority do not support the LGBT in any way and rather than being neutral, many do go to the extent of condemning them. ). Prior to transition I was very active in the church. I was vice-president a couple of times in the hierarchy of the young women program (not sure if you are familiar with this), I attended all the activities and the camps and participated several times in the baptisms for the dead. My family on both sides were/are very involved as well, we have the whole lineage to the pioneers and are descendants of very prominent early church members. I give you this background to let you know, I was not an observer. I was in it deep and I was terrified out of my mind when I decided I couldn’t live the lie anymore. It was an extremely difficult environment to transition in. Not sure how far you are into transition, but I transitioned in high school and upon coming out the abuse ranged from verbal to a few physical altercations. I was nearly put in the hospital by the same boys who pass the sacrament on Sunday, and my persecution was condoned by our principal (an LDS bishop). Upon becoming an adult I requested to be excommunicated from the church (Boy was that fun… ha ha) and prior to coming out to my family I changed not only my first and middle name, but also my last name because I was sure that they would all disown me. In the ensuing years though, I have been surprised…

While I won’t hold you to your vow to flunk out of school, I am very proud to say that I have examples of true Mormons supporting a transgendered person, me. In particular, I’d like to tell you about an uncle and aunt that I was 100% sure would want nothing to do with me. Besides only having two kids instead of four-nine (by the way, my grandmother had 14) they are the stereotypical LDS family. The eat, sleep and breath the Book of Mormon. When they go on vacation they still have to go to church on Sunday. My uncle has been in the bishopric numerous times, and my aunt has held several positions as well. Both of them went on missions for the church and both of their sons are on missions currently (one of them went to BYU) In essence, they would drive you crazy Haley, as they often drive me out of my mind as well. : ) So of all the people out there, I knew that these scripture spouting, brain-washed, ultra conservatives were going to throw the book at me. I was wrong. Even as my mom struggled with calling me by my real name and using the right pronouns, they got it right every time. They actually supporting my mom and encouraged her to be more accepting of me. We are actually closer than we ever were when I was growing up. When I’m home, they’ve invited me to go to church with them and they introduce me as their nephew, “J-“ no mention of anything else. When I got married, they made my wife and I this beautiful decoration out of our wedding invitation (I’m sure you know how crafty these people can be) and expressed several times their regret of not being able to be there. I’ve been blown away by their acceptance. They stuck up for me in the face of my mom and other relatives who were not supportive at first.

Now I realize fully that it is a rare person who can look outside the box of this religious dogma and see the real things that matter, but good Mormons who still support LGBT do exist. The difference in the majority versus minority? It’s difficult to overcome the brainwashing of course, but people fear what they do not know. When you hear the word “transgender” all the stereotypes pop into their heads. While I’d like to think I’m a very open-minded person, would I be uncomfortable if my son, nephew, cousin etc walked in wearing the Rocky Horror Picture Show gear? Honestly, yes. It would freak me out. And I think that’s what most LDS are thinking with regard to homosexuals and transsexuals. A poll last May actually showed that Americans in general are more accepting of gays if they know one (http://www.edgeboston.com/index.php?ch=news&sc=&sc2=news&sc3=&id=91951) so I think it does make a difference that they’ve known me for 22 years. And this person that they have known for so long, did not show up wearing fishnets or looking like a pimp. I broke the stereotype for them. And maybe that’s the LDS church’s problem, they won’t allow those stereotypes to be broken for their members. I firmly believe it is a cult and people are brainwashed. They are not willing to open their hearts to us unless there is a vested interest or something that brings it down to a personal level for them. Have you seen the movie Latter Days? Even though it’s not transgender, but homosexual I think that gives such an accurate portrayal of how sucked in some people can get unfortunately, even to the point where for their own children they refuse to see beyond the beliefs. Some are hopelessly misguided, but in most I’d like to see hope that they could pull their heads out of you know where if given the right incentive.

Anyway, I can see how passionate you are about this subject and I hope I in turn have not offended you with my opinions. I am glad every day that I no longer live in Utah and have the greatest empathy for your continued residency. : ) At least the mountains are beautiful. Sandy is a nice place, I grew up in North Ogden. Have a wonderful day.

-J