• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Mtf Getting Out Of The Army Help Please

Guest Kaitlyn88

Guest Christina88

Well first of all I'm really happy that I found an actual transexual veterans forum, so hopefully people here will be more understanding and know what I'm talking about. I'm in a complicated situation so hopefully I explain it well enough. Well I'm 21 ans I'm in the Army reserves. I still have 4 years left since I signed a 6 year contract and I'm a MTF transexual. I'm currently on disabilty because last spring I had a break down. It was about being secretly TS but I said my previous PTSD was the main cause but that was actually small compared to the gender dysphoria. I only left my apartment like once a month, couldn't make it to drill or anything. I just couldn't take pretending to be someone I wasn't. I guess it just caught up with me since I had been hiding it since I was 3. Joining the Army was just one of many things I did to pretend I was something I wasn't and I guess it was just too much. So anyways, I was put on social security disability for all the anxiety and depression. My unit administrator said he would work on getting me discharged the best way possible and said he would Fedex a doctors appointment to me. He didn't say what kind of doctor though. That was about 8 months ago and I still haven't heard anything. When I call the unit up or leave a email I haven't been hearing anything back. So now I'm wondering if I should just keep waiting or if I should tell them that I'm TS. I'm not sure what kind of discharge they plan on giving me for the anxiety and depression issues or what they would give me for being TS. I need a honorable discharge of some kind or else I won't be eligible for disability any more. I've been on hormones for about 7 months now and I have B cup breasts that are still growing so if they ever did a physical they would at least notice that if nothing else. I heard they require a physical before they discharge you, what if they discovered that I was TS then? Would they start the discharge all over again or give me a different type? I am very serious about being TS between the length of time on hormones, laser hair removal, I''ve came out to most of my family and friends and see a therapist and doctor, etc. Also it's been a problem since I was remember at age 3 so it's not like it's something that I'm not sure about. Alot of the depression and anxiety went away since I have started transition so it feels right for me. Thank you ahead of time to anyone that has any personal experience or advice, I'll really appreciate it.

• Root Admin

I haven't had any personal experiences so I can't help you there. Perhaps you should seek out some legal advice. A lawyer familiar with military discharge procedures might be the way to go. Just guessing.

MaryEllen :)

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Christina,

I have never had the opportunity to serve, so I do not know the details of military discharge.

I want to make some comments first.

1. You mentioned that you are taking hormones. I do hope that this is under the guidance of a qualified physician. Taking hormones on your own is extremely hazardous and can cause more health problems which will only complicate your situation.

2. If you are under the care of a doctor for HRT then you have been diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder. Having being diagnosed with GID should give you the clearance to be discharged honorable.

3. Based on your desciption of events, I conclude that you have not been diagnosed nor are you under a doctors care for hormone replacement therapy. If I am incorrect, I apologize in advance.

I suspect that your CO is hoping that you do not need to be discharged, and expects that you will rejoin your fellow soldiers and finish your tour with the military. That is probably why the slow processing of your discharge.

PTSD is nothing to fool around with and if you have been diagnosed with this condition than I encourage you to follow the advice of the military medical community.

As far as physical exams are concerned, no one can determine that one is transgendered based on a physical unless one has had SRS and the doctor does a DNA test. Then and only then would it be obvious.

Brenda

Guest Christina88

I'm seeing both a doctor and therapist and even a psychiatrist, I just haven't told the Army about anything referring to being trans. I'm pretty sure they don't expect me to return since I am on disability and they said they wanted to work on getting me discharged. I'm not worried about being tested if I had an exam, all I would have to do is take off my shirt and they would see that I have breasts and I'm sure that and other things would raise some questions. I just don't know if I should keep waiting for them to discharge me or if I should tell them that I'm trans. Also theres no way I could afford a lawyer, and even if there is one that works with transexuals in the Army. Thabk you to everyone who has said something so far, I'll keep checking in to see if anyone has any advice about what I should tell the Army and what type of discharge would be better.

Hi Christina,

I have never had the opportunity to serve, so I do not know the details of military discharge.

I want to make some comments first.

1. You mentioned that you are taking hormones. I do hope that this is under the guidance of a qualified physician. Taking hormones on your own is extremely hazardous and can cause more health problems which will only complicate your situation.

2. If you are under the care of a doctor for HRT then you have been diagnosed with Gender Identity Disorder. Having being diagnosed with GID should give you the clearance to be discharged honorable.

3. Based on your desciption of events, I conclude that you have not been diagnosed nor are you under a doctors care for hormone replacement therapy. If I am incorrect, I apologize in advance.

I suspect that your CO is hoping that you do not need to be discharged, and expects that you will rejoin your fellow soldiers and finish your tour with the military. That is probably why the slow processing of your discharge.

PTSD is nothing to fool around with and if you have been diagnosed with this condition than I encourage you to follow the advice of the military medical community.

As far as physical exams are concerned, no one can determine that one is transgendered based on a physical unless one has had SRS and the doctor does a DNA test. Then and only then would it be obvious.

Brenda

Guest ChloëC

Christina,

I'm not going to say I'm a legal expert or know all the ins and outs of today's military, but I remember some things from my days in service.

If your record is clean, a discharge for approved medical reasons is usually an Honorable Discharge. I suspect today's military in that regard hasn't changed too much. And I would guess the paperwork still takes forever.

If you're still in the military, you have to be still assigned to some base or post or facility, or you're probably near one. There are legal offices on these bases that you can at least get some legal help for free (often called Judge Advocate General or JAG). If they can't help you, they can point you to civilian legal help.

They might even be able to find out what's the status of your discharge paperwork, as well as answer all your questions about the differences in discharges. And you don't have to tell them about your TS condition, unless you want to.

Having been through a number of physicals, I think the doctors have seen just about everything, and I doubt a slightly larger breast size is going to shock them in the least, or a reduction in body hair. They may ask if you're taking hormones and you had best tell the truth. I have to think that alone will not do much to affect your physical if you still exhibit symptoms of PTSD.

Tho, I'm surprised the military isn't having some kind of communication with you on a regular basis. Not to hear from anyone for 8 months is highly unusual.

Hope this helps.

Chloë

Guest ~Brenda~

Hey Christina,

I just noticed that you are a new member here at Laura's......

So.. Welcome hon :)

Sorry, I did not notice that you were new before :unsure:

Love

Brenda

Guest Christina88

I'm only in the reserve and they put me on inactive status so I'm not near a base or part of a base. The only thing I have got in trouble with was missing drills back when I had that breakdown. The PTSD was from before the Army, my recruiter said not to mention it if I thought I could cope with it. It still causes some problems once in awhile but the main thing is insomnia. Last spring before I was willing to even admit to myself that I was trans and that was the main reason for my problems I blamed the anxiety and depression on the ptsd. Then over the months I ended up coming out and seeing doctors and so on. Now I'm wondering what discharge they'll give me if they think it's for something that recurred from before, that I didn't mention when I signed up. Also I don't know if they do find out that I'm trans what they'll do.

Christina,

I'm not going to say I'm a legal expert or know all the ins and outs of today's military, but I remember some things from my days in service.

If your record is clean, a discharge for approved medical reasons is usually an Honorable Discharge. I suspect today's military in that regard hasn't changed too much. And I would guess the paperwork still takes forever.

If you're still in the military, you have to be still assigned to some base or post or facility, or you're probably near one. There are legal offices on these bases that you can at least get some legal help for free (often called Judge Advocate General or JAG). If they can't help you, they can point you to civilian legal help.

They might even be able to find out what's the status of your discharge paperwork, as well as answer all your questions about the differences in discharges. And you don't have to tell them about your TS condition, unless you want to.

Having been through a number of physicals, I think the doctors have seen just about everything, and I doubt a slightly larger breast size is going to shock them in the least, or a reduction in body hair. They may ask if you're taking hormones and you had best tell the truth. I have to think that alone will not do much to affect your physical if you still exhibit symptoms of PTSD.

Tho, I'm surprised the military isn't having some kind of communication with you on a regular basis. Not to hear from anyone for 8 months is highly unusual.

Hope this helps.

Chloë

Guest Tiffany Amber

Christina,

I to am a disabled vet. I was honorably discharged for medical reasons. My advise to you is don't tel them you are TS unless they ask. In regards to the communication with your command get in touch with JAG and start having them help you with that. I really hope this helps.

Hugs Tiffany Amber

Guest Gina9223

Actually, ‘Inactive Reserve’ basically means you are out. (they may be dragging on the paper work so they can bump their numers up)

If you don’t drill, you don’t get privlege’s (medical/dental/PX), you don’t get any pay then your inactive. You may be on a personel list some place and you need to go from Inactive to Discharged due to medical reasons.

If you served any time active (and it sounds like you have) you can go to the VA and disscuss the PTSD with a pateint advocate. Also while your there get evaluated for your PTSD. If you’re still confused about how all this works, call Military One Source either by website or by phone at 1-800-342-9647 and talk to them about your situation.

Because you do have PTSD and it is recognized as military related you do need an evaluation from the VA and it is allowed.

Note: My PTSD is from being sexually abused from 5-12 yo and having a series of traumatic sexual assaults at 13. How or when the seeds of PTSD were planted doesn’t matter (in fact, if you do research on PTSD you’ll find out that it originates as an offshoot of Rape Trauma Syndrome. The military dug its heels in about ‘PTSD’ because of that). What matters is that you stood up and served and for that service you do get privleges. Going to the VA or calling up Military One Source is a start.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Christina,

Sounds like you should just sit tight and not tell them anything. I probably would NOT tell them if I were in your particular situation. Just keep trying to contact them. The waiting sucks, I know.. For me it was either disclose I was trans or go back to Iraq again. Honestly, I don't think things would end up good if they did send me back to Iraq, so I disclosed. In my case these are all the people that knew I was trans while I was in: My CO, 1SG, BN Sergeant Major, BN Commander, Brigade Commander, a JAG lawyer, Army Psychologist, three Army therapists, a SFC and CPT at the SRP site. I also provided them all with a letter from a civilian therapist stating the diagnosis. Honestly JAG wasn't much help for me, maybe it was just that particular person that saw me. Anyway, I got involuntarily separated with an honorable discharge and that was because my record was clean and my chain of command had nothing but good to say about me. But telling them I was trans got me chaptered out with a 5-17 “Other designated physical or mental conditions”. Disclosing you are trans will get you separated from the Army, I disclosed around the middle of August and I got my DD form 214 mid November. I believe my case went pretty quick. I've heard others having to wait longer, one person in my unit waited about a year before they chaptered her out. The paperwork in the military takes forever to get through, try to keep copies of everything because paperwork tends to get lost often. If they find out you are taking hormones without their knowledge, it is a good chance there will be some legal actions taken against you. The physical exam for me made me a bit nervous. I was just A cups then and got through without the doctor mentioning anything about them. The whole ordeal for me was very stressful and exhausting, and I probably wouldn't have made it(yes I contemplated suicide) without the help of the civilian and army therapists (yes, I had more than one therapist) and the support of people here. It is good to know that you have a therapist and a psychiatrist helping you. Christina, if you do feel yourself getting overwhelmed with it all, please seek help. I'm glad I did back then..

*HUGS*

Love,

Vivian

• 2 months later...
Guest Girl Emily

I received a medical discharge from the marines for a pre-existing condition. At first I received no disability, but after awhile the problem became worse and I required surgery. I had insurance and they paid for it. During my recovery I applied or VA disability which I received because the time in service was longer than 1year. They call it "aggravated pre-existing condition." I wouldn't.tell them until you get your discharge.

Then while you are receive treatment for depression/ptsd bring up your thoughts of gender confusion to your psychologist at first act nieve about condition.. if psych doesn't make diagnosis of GID bring material from internet and say you identify with it.

Then apply for disability with the VA amd they will have to agree that it is service connected. Everything is service connected with a diagnosis and claim filed witin 1 year of discharge. You may have a case where they will have to pay for any treatment you may require including SRS.