• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Love My Hair

Guest Melissa 67

Hi;

I wonder if anybody ever had this issue and what they did about it. Anyway, I'm just startint out in the transitioning process and I'm looking for a job today. The thing is I still have to go out presented as a man (as my therapists told me,) but my hair is long, and I mean it to be that way because girls have long hair and thats who I am. The problem is I'm going out as a man and I don't have the traditional you know clean cut look a man has, I guess as a man with long hair I might look a little unkemp or even what some might classify as bummish. My hair is not long enough yet to tie back or anything; so what do I do?

Melisa

Hey Melisa,

I moved this topic over to the MTF forum because I think that you will have better hair advice here, the guys are trying to get away from the look that you are trying to achieve.

Many of us have to work as male so until my hair became long enough to pull into a ponytail I just kept it very clean (I still do that) and combed it while it was still wet, pulling it down close to my head that way as it dried - using a hair dryer will tend to make it stand out and look more feminine, men usually have a bit 'flatter; hairstyle than most women.

I hope that made sense.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest qRachelp
Hi;

I wonder if anybody ever had this issue and what they did about it. Anyway, I'm just startint out in the transitioning process and I'm looking for a job today. The thing is I still have to go out presented as a man (as my therapists told me,) but my hair is long, and I mean it to be that way because girls have long hair and thats who I am. The problem is I'm going out as a man and I don't have the traditional you know clean cut look a man has, I guess as a man with long hair I might look a little unkemp or even what some might classify as bummish. My hair is not long enough yet to tie back or anything; so what do I do?

Melisa

Melisa,

Baby, why don't you look sexy with some mousse? :D

XX,

Rachel

Guest Donna Jean

Melisa,

Hey, Honey......

I work in a "Male" field ...

But my hair is long *(18" ponytail) and that seems to be acceptable therse days...

If you can't tie it back yet...I tell my one girlfriend to use axel grease...lol

What I mean is mousse to slick it back and keep it flatter..

It's icky, but it works!

Don't cut it!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Hey Melisa,

I moved this topic over to the MTF forum because I think that you will have better hair advice here, the guys are trying to get away from the look that you are trying to achieve.

Many of us have to work as male so until my hair became long enough to pull into a ponytail I just kept it very clean (I still do that) and combed it while it was still wet, pulling it down close to my head that way as it dried - using a hair dryer will tend to make it stand out and look more feminine, men usually have a bit 'flatter; hairstyle than most women.

I hope that made sense.

Love ya,

Sally

Yes, thanks that makes sense. I guess it was a silly question I guess I'm just use to havng the clean cut look to get a job because I know thats the putting your best- foot - forward to getting a job as a man so to speak, or something like that lol I just don't want to cut my hair.

Melisa

Melisa,

I forgot to mention that when I went in to interview for my current job, I had my hair well beyond shoulder length and it is silver-gray and I did not pull it back, just combed neatly flowing across my shoulders.

They said that they had a concern about my hair and I guess I would have cut it but they just asked me to put in a ponytail.

It is about their impression of you but a lot of that cones from how you present yourself, tentative and withdrawn won't get hired unless they are a relative.

Be confident and self assured and all will be fine.

Love ya,

Sally

Hi;

Melisa

Hi Melisa,

Almost in (small) ponytail territory myself. Up to now I have been putting hair oil in and combing it back ,

nothing else you can do imo , ya get to look like an extra from The Sopranos for a bit B):o:D relax hun you

will look back on this and smile. Luv, viv :)

Melisa,

Hey, Honey......

I work in a "Male" field ...

But my hair is long *(18" ponytail) and that seems to be acceptable therse days...

If you can't tie it back yet...I tell my one girlfriend to use axel grease...lol

What I mean is mousse to slick it back and keep it flatter..

It's icky, but it works!

Don't cut it!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

18" ponytail I'm jealous, how long did it take for you to grow that?

Guest SusanKG

Melissa,

How important is the job? I mean, is it going to advance you down your path, provide funding to achieve all that is Melissa, or are you financially well off enough to reach that without the job? With that, how important is the temporary length of your hair? If like most of us, you need the job, meet the stupid and narrow-minded requirements for now. In the scheme of things, and the many stages needed to reach full Melissahood, hair will grow faster that many other needed items. :rolleyes:

SusanKG

Guest kennerzzz

I agree with ponytail. I know it's been stated a lot before.

Just make your ponytail as low on your neck as you can, with your hair brushed right against your head (not SLICKED against your head, but don't make it too....voluminous).

The difference between a male ponytail and a female ponytail is that men's ponytails don't move (I mean, sure they do, but the masculine ones don't usually sway side to side). Try a banded ponytail, where you tie the ponytail in certain increments down the hair, such as a ponytail holder like every...inch. I've seen men with a banded ponytail and they always look clean and polished, and not too femme. It always reminds me of Laura Croft from the tomb raider, though (and I've never even seen that movie before! hah.)

Good luck with your new job!