• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Doctors Appointment

Guest i is Sam :-)

A little nervous. At least the worst of it is over, she knows, so there's no chickening out. But still it's so much more difficult to talk about these things out loud.

Guest Donna Jean
A little nervous. At least the worst of it is over, she knows, so there's no chickening out. But still it's so much more difficult to talk about these things out loud.

Well, Honey.....

By the time you read this it will have been all over.

So, you'll need to post us and tell us how it all went!

I hope that all went well for you..

G'luck, Hon.....

Huggs...

Donna Jean

Guest Robin Winter

It is difficult at first, but I promise you it gets easier every time you do it ^_^

You'll do fine sweetie.

*Hugs*

The appointment went great. Doctor was really supportive and nice. She's referring my to psych (which unfortunately can't be avoided) so that we can get the ball rolling as soon as possible. I explained my situation over self medicating, which obviously she can't support, but she's willing to monitor my bloods to make sure i stay healthy, and I explained to her that I needed a T count, because it's dangerous to go too low, without E to compensate. So I have an appointment with the nurse monday to have blood drawn. She hasn't helped anyone transition before so it's all new territory to her, She asked how often I thought I'd need it done and I said probably about every couple of months. She said the lab would probably throw a fit, but that'd be their problem. She said that although she's not an endo, the results will come in a report indicating any problems and a break down of what a normal range should be. I'm going to ask for a copy of the report, and will figure out how to read the results and get some more numbers, I know average male T range, average female T range etc. I might have to do some unit conversion but that shouldn't be hard. And the lab will said her a big fat warning if my potassium is too high, or if there's anything indicated on liver and kidney function tests.

She said that she isn't qualified to and wouldn't be willing to advise me on dosages, but I have some basic information so with the labs I can figure it out.

we talked about how I have to keep my diabete under tight control (I'd been really depressed and barely taking any insulin) and I told her that I've already started to get it back under control and have gone on a strict diet. And she's given me a referral for an appointment with the diabetic clinic just to get that all checked out, (it's wise to explain the situation to my diabetic dr, in case it effects any thing)

So she's going to make sure i stay safe while I'm doing my thing, and in the mean time, I'm going to do everything they want and follow course for getting treatment under the NHS.

I know that many of you won't approve of how I'm handling things, but I hope you can see I'm being as safe as I can, and please, you lucky americans with insurance, realise that the timeline is likely to be 6 weeks to 2 months wait for a first psych consult, then several appointments after that, each a month apart, before getting my GD diagnosis, then a referral to a gender clinic which is likely to be a 6 - 9 month waiting list, then at least several months of therapy with a gender therapist, before then a referral to an endo which will be about another 2 month waiting list, in order to get prescribed hormones. I would obviously love them prescribed becuse I wouldn't have to pay for them, but I can't sit a wait around for a year waiting for the NHS, I mean not even in therapy, just waiting, honestly I doubt I could, I would get so depressed again, I would be in far more danger from the risk of suicide and self harming, I've been slowly killing myself not taking my insulin.

ok mods, I hope you'll approve this, by all means stick a huge banner across the top saying "this person is a moron, don't copy them, you will die" but i've tried very hard to obey the rules here. I wanna be able to let you guys know about how it goes with psychs, therapists etc. as it happens, and also to be able to talk about any changes that might be happen on hormones, so I want to be able to be honest, I don't want people confused by what appears like a disparity in my story / timeline. I've tried very hard to obey the rules here, I haven't mentioned any drug names, or doses or any kind of timelines / ragimes etc. I also thing that some people like me are going to go down the self medicating route, regardless of how many times you warn them not to, and that it's important and responsible to make sure those people know that you can and absolutely should approach a doctor and ask them to monitor your bloods.

Everyone else, Yaay! happy, i'm so incredibly relived, it's all really happening now.

"this person is a moron, don't copy them, you will die"

That was the banner requested to be placed above the last post by the poster, however it should be noted by everyone reading this that he is not really just self medicating, he has enlisted the aid of his doctor and is having the lab work done - I would prefer that he had an endocrinologist on the team and prescribing the T and its dosages - I do not understand the NHS system at all and I can understand being in a hurry, but that being said getting into a free clinic here caused me to delay an extra 6 months total myself - I have no insurance but I am with a dedicated and experienced Endo's care.

This is the hard way, the dangerous way and definitely not recommended!

I would like to urge you to really try to wait for the NHS, I am so worried about your health and with diabetes too!

Please be careful!

Love ya,

Sally

Unfortunately I can't be referred directly to an endo, I did ask. it has to be, GP > Psych > Gender Clinic > Endo. there is no way around it.

Being on benefits I could never, ever afford private treatment, since private is a luxury over here, rather than the norm, private tends to be very, very, very expensive, and people just don't have insurance, employers don't offer it etc. because everyone uses the NHS.

If you have concerns please feel free to PM me about them, I just know there are certain things I can't mention here.

It should be noted tho, that i'm not taking over the counter medication, and i'm not breaking UK law.

"this person is a moron, don't copy them, you will die"

Ditto. This is a really bad idea, it's dangerous, and NHS isn't going to cost you major dosh.

But once you're doing this, make sure you and your doctor are keeping an eye on your cholesterol, too. You don't want to end up with heart disease on top of the diabetes and your self-medicating.

Like Sally said, please please please be careful. At least keep an open mind about switching to regular care.

Obviously I'll switch over as soon as I can. I have my cholesterol checked every 3 months when they do the HA1C for my diabetes. And my blood pressure is spot on, although I have a monitor to check at home anyway. My BMI is now 29.1, so I'm no longer clinically obese, I'm hoping to loose at least another 20 pounds before it's time to start the E, and I go for at least a 30 minute walk nearly every day (I don't drive) and I'm gonna start going back to the gym, so I should be low risk for blood clotting.

I've informed people so in the unlikely event that anything happens EMTs will know to put me immediately on fluids and test my potassium.

Hi Sam,

The advice here is rock solid hun, you know that.

Here in Ireland I did my GT privately but will do the rest

HSE , thats similar to your public health service. I am not

medically trained but it is easy to see the main theme through

this post ****YOUR HEALTH***. Think same hun, luv,viv :)

Guest Joanna Phipps

Sally I dont have an edo either, it is my GP who is handling my hormones and labs, my therapist isnt a GT either but where I live this system works

@i is sam...the US health care system and insurance system is not all it might appear to be. However that is for another discussion

• Admin

Sam, honey, I'm a little late catching up on this thread. I want to echo (echo echo echo) the advice you've already received.

Being diabetic myself, I can't stress enough getting that under control and medicated properly too. Diabetes unchecked will KILL YOU, so please

monitor it closely and take your proper dosages of insulin and your other meds. It's easy to ignore those things, as too much sugar doesn't always

show in symptoms. I've been diagnosed Type II for 20 years, and even though I'm religious about the meds and I'm not more than 10 pounds overweight

now (15 kilos?), I've still developed diabetic neuropathy and slight retinopathy too.

It will catch up with you eventually, sweetheart. Being a blind one legged woman won't be much fun. So be careful, OK?

I care about you.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean
Being a blind one legged woman won't be much fun. So be careful, OK?

I care about you.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Dang, Carolyn!

You really know how to make a point!

I, also have diabetes...

And I watch it like a hawk....

I want to transition and live to enjoy it!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

I'm trying much harder now, I actually have a reason to care. For the longest time, I've hated myself so much, I haven't cared what happened to me, I either wanted to die or wanted to hurt myself, I resented taking the insulin, I hate sticking myself, it hurts and all I was doing was prolonging my suffering.

But this change is really positive for me, I think I may actually love Sam, and at least grow to in time, and i want so bad for her to be happy and healthy. There's a girl inside me who's been denied a life until now, and i'm gonna make sure she gets a dang good one.

Guest Donna Jean

Make it so, Sam.....

I hear your motor starting to turn over...bit by bit you are going to get all of this done and be who you truly are...

Good luck, Baby!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean
Thanks hun. can you revise for a blood test?

I'm confused here, Hon...

Maybe it's a language problem...

"Revise"......do you mean "Study"?

Huggs...

Donna Jean