• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Variety

Guest i is Sam :-)

Guest i is Sam :-)

One of the things I love about becoming a girl is the huge choice of styles and types of clothing that I now get to wear (or will be able to eventually), the lack of variety in men's clothes used to really bother me, I remember once going in to Next, and I went upstairs to the Men's department and before I'd gotten to the top of the stairs I could see the entire department, I'm not kidding it was like 4 square yards. I know you guys obviously all love being able to dress to express your masculinity, but does the lack of variety bother you? do you find that all you really own is some jeans and a drawer full of t-shirts?

I actually kind of like the lack of variety, I'm not afraid to mess up or look overdone. My mind works more simple than a girls, I guess XD I always look at those stylish girls and think "MAN! How do they accessorize like that??"

There are subtle differences in styles, that you might have to go to different stores for rather than different departments like in girls wear.

Of course, labcoats help.

Guest insanitylives
One of the things I love about becoming a girl is the huge choice of styles and types of clothing that I now get to wear (or will be able to eventually), the lack of variety in men's clothes used to really bother me, I remember once going in to Next, and I went upstairs to the Men's department and before I'd gotten to the top of the stairs I could see the entire department, I'm not kidding it was like 4 square yards. I know you guys obviously all love being able to dress to express your masculinity, but does the lack of variety bother you? do you find that all you really own is some jeans and a drawer full of t-shirts?

Lack of variety?...We're either shopping at different places, seeing the world through different eyes, or both. (putting money on #3)

No.

Guest kaydinface

I like the simplicity of men's clothes. When I was dressing as a female I acctually didn't like the complex variety of women's clothes. I actually prefer being more androgynous as opposed to masculine, but even so, I'm quite content with tee shirts and jeans. It's easier to dressed in the morning. :)

Does not bother me much, except I can't find many neon color shoes for adult men. Once in a while I really like a few splashes of neon on my feet I did how ever luck out to being a size 8 1/2 sneaks and nine dress shoes so I can find a few odds here and there. As of pants I'm a jeans and khaki person anyway to me having a bigger selection would just mean buying something I most likely will never wear.

T-shirts are just plain fun on the guys side, I'm one of those who loves the slogans that allows a bit of my personality out. For instance one of my favorite shirts says. "I have used all of my sick days so I called in dead." Not only does it cause me to chuckle but a big convo starter being that I am shy guy.

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Well being primarily gay i have more lenience in style. For example, I don't have just jeans and t-shirts, I have period style clothing, vests, crazy belt buckles, strange belts, funky hats, fingerless gloves and colorful ties. The jeans and t-shirts I do have can be skinny jeans in strange prints and the t-shirts can be witty. Guys have plenty of variety, it's just most don't bother with it.

Guest Everette

I don't think it's ever occurred to me that, if I'm a guy, I need to dress like a stereotypical "pants, shirt, done," guy....

I guess because I'm just a really gaaay androgynous feminine guy? (And my views on pretty much everything under the sun are kinda... skewed from the "norm")

Either way... I just dress in whatever I want. Skinny jeans, baggy pants/shorts, short shorts & tights... I've got hordes of t-shirts xD Big platform boots or typical sneakers. Lots of bracelets, hats, even hairclips sometimes. My style can go from looking like a teenage gamer guy, to very "girly" and often crazy... yeah, sometimes I get a little anxious about looking too much like a "girl"... but I like my clothes, they're me; I do my best to come off as a boy, or really androgynous at least, and try not to care too much about what other people think a "boy" should be.

Hmm...I never considered what I like as lack of variety. I think there are all types of clothes out there for men, there's different type of genre's...just depends on what you like... So...I love it...I love jeans, and graphic Tees...and if I have to dress up, I can...but other than that....I never look in my closet and say " I have no idea what to wear." I think life is simpler as a guy.

Guest CharlieRose
Well being primarily gay i have more lenience in style. For example, I don't have just jeans and t-shirts, I have period style clothing, vests, crazy belt buckles, strange belts, funky hats, fingerless gloves and colorful ties. The jeans and t-shirts I do have can be skinny jeans in strange prints and the t-shirts can be witty. Guys have plenty of variety, it's just most don't bother with it.

Definitely. If you're not afraid of appearing effeminate, you can still experiment a lot with colors and patterns and different articles of clothing. And sometimes you still look masculine. :P It's just more jackets and ties than skirts and shoes. There are some guys who just wear jeans and a plain T-shirt every day, but it's not that difficult to switch it up, that is, if you want to.

I think my first reaction to this question was "What lack of variety?"

I guess if it's there, it doesn't really bother me. Like Michael said, I like it that it's harder to mess up. I'm usually just sort of 'shirt, trousers, done' kind of guy. I'm usually not too bad, but occasionally the matching the tie with the shirt and the jacket can elude me when I have to be dressy. I rarely think about what clothes I'm wearing as long as they're cleanish and passably unwrinkled.

Guest andreahilton

OMG! I totally understand.... it been a while since I went male clothes shopping (joys!) :D but I remember how there was a lack of variety... all there was is different colours and pictures on t-shirts, a few different type of jeans with different darkness of blue. Only in the very high fashion there was more variety, mainly for ties and jackets like people already said.

Now, just last week I went shopping for female clothing and gosh, I couldn't choose! There was waaaaaayyyy too many girl clothing, I'm used to only running around in a small circle, now I have to run around in many many many LARGE circles. It was fun anyways. I enjoyed looking at all the pretty clothing. This year (it's 2010 in Australia now YAY) I will buy a pretty dress that cost my whole 2 months pay from parents. :P

I used to love shopping as in just like and almost addicted but now I'm completely addicted and I cannot wait for my next shopping trip! Maybe next week!!

:D

Guest Anna_Banana

I'm seeing the difference of viewpoint here and where it's coming from. A lot of us MtF's grew up trying to fit in as stereotypical men. In that case, there really is a lack of variety when it comes to men's clothing. I can walk into a Macy's or a J.C. Penny and see the exact same style of shirt and pants repeated in the guy's section. I walk over to Juniors, and there is a plethora of styles in so many different colors. Now what I'm seeing from the FtM's responding is that a lot of you subscribe to the gay or androgynous lifestyle. Well that's a whole different can of worms entirely! That opens yourself up to places like Hot Topic and Spencer's. But again, our world's are/were different. Many of us didn't start out as gay or androgynous men. Our society wouldn't have accepted us and our parents would have murdered us. All the guys I went to highschool with all wore the same clothing pretty much every day. There was a severe lack of color variety. Sure, sometimes you got the prep that wore bright baby blue or pink, but mostly it was the same old same old. The girls on the other hand wore something completely different for every day.

But I also grew up in Redneckville, USA, so maybe that has an effect.

.Anna

Guest joeytheman16

I never wore girl's clothes. I have always worn male clothes. But when ever I am shopping with my female friends or even my mom and I am in the female section I get lost. It is very confusing to me.

As for the variety, I guess compared to females us guys have less choices. I have always favored jeans and a t-shirt. I like looking good without being uncomfortable. So having less clothes to choose from is perfectly fine with me.

Joey

Guest Nicodeme

I'm pre-everything, so I'm still wearing girl clothes a lot on days when I'm sick of binding. And I think even after I've gotten all my transitional stuff taken care of...I might keep wearing girls pants, at least. I'm tiny and it's hard to find adult guys stuff that even FITS me. <_< (And even my SO who's an average height biomale ends up shopping in the boys section on the rare occasions that xe actually wants to wear male clothing 'cause of the size.)

So, I mean, obviously, the lack of biofemale-friendly sizes is my biggest problem. And I do agree that there's a lack of variety. Once you get out of the boy's section, the designs available just add insult to injury. A lot of stuff is either tacky or boring. Unless you're the kind of person to go for the indie/scene look (which I kind of am), the colors are really...bland. I really like bright colors. Only recently have I allowed brown, grey or any faded/neutral color into my wardrobe. And to get stuff that isn't all plain/boring button-ups and tees, you have to know where to look. (Such as the mall instead of say...WalMart, or Kohl's, or a "normal" store.) And it's usually going to cost more.

To an extent I'm sure it's just me. But I don't like baggy clothes. On me, I hate they way they feel, and on others...it gives off this vibe of...laziness, almost. I have a tendency to assume that a guy in a baggy tee with a band name, some bad attempt at a humorous statement, or something that is even vaguely related to "thug life" (what IS thug life, anyhow?! XD) on it is sleazy, unintelligent, or just a huge pain in the [insert name for your body part of choice]. I'm twice as put off if the person wearing a band/"humor" tee has long (as in to the chin or longer) hair. *shudder* Long hair on guys just screams "I think I'm unique and that my overly rebellious attitude and outdated ideas of what is progressive are justified." And people like that annoy me. Horribly. It's not the 60's anymore, we've got better things to do than drop acid and complain about "the man." :rolleyes:

Like, if any of you have seen at least the first half of Glen or Glenda (which actually isn't that bad a movie except for a really meaningless 10-minute sequence near the end; I thought it was pretty progressive and trans-friendly, especially considering it was made in 1952-3) and they go over how much more comfortable and versatile female clothing is in comparison to male clothing...that basically sums up my opinion.

Doesn't help any that it's apparently okay for girls to wear guys clothes, but not the other way around. <_<

Of course, labcoats help.

Labcoats are awesome! If I could, I'd get me a labcoat like Dr. Steel's got...

Of course, then I'd have to get some goggles...and gloves...

I guess I should just stick to my Toy Soldier uniform. XD

Guest insanitylives
Now what I'm seeing from the FtM's responding is that a lot of you subscribe to the gay or androgynous lifestyle.

Or maybe because it's more acceptable to go for more androgynous as being born a girl, than born a boy.

And honestly, I set off fewer questions in people's heads having them be unsure to my sex + then later hearing me talk, than looking extraordinarily masculine (which with my body ain't happening soon) and still being heard talk...if that makes sense?

Is it right? No. But it's the sad truth.

So, I mean, obviously, the lack of biofemale-friendly sizes is my biggest problem

My size must be showing.

I need a mens M/L to fit over... er, everything yknow what I'm talking about

Labcoats are awesome! If I could, I'd get me a labcoat like Dr. Steel's got...

Of course, then I'd have to get some goggles...and gloves...

I guess I should just stick to my Toy Soldier uniform. XD

You could go steampunk?

To go steampunk would be amazing. Unfortunately, that requires a lot of money, talent for sifting thru thrift stores, and sewing--three things I don't have yet XD; but, ah, someday. T'would be amazing. Until then, I'm more than content having one great mens shirt over 10 womens shirts I didn't like at all.

Guest SamIThinkIAm

Umm....yeah I would say I do. In fact, I really, really do.

Now---I never, ever feel good/confident what may have you in a dress--BUT---I do miss the lack of print, shape etc....the guy's section is a little bland---it's like, shirt, hoodie, jeans, etc. done. Add to that I'm one short chunky dude--- (5 feet tall and about 150 pounds) and going shopping can be a real pain in the butt.

Guest toniesangel

LOL. I think my wardrobe has always been mostly jeans and t-shirts. My work uniform is slacks and a polo shirt, and I have a few dress shirts and ties. I guess I enjoy walking into a store picking out a few things and I'm done. My wife however, can spend hours picking just the right outfit (that might get worn once).

Guest Nicodeme
Or maybe because it's more acceptable to go for more androgynous as being born a girl, than born a boy.

And honestly, I set off fewer questions in people's heads having them be unsure to my sex + then later hearing me talk, than looking extraordinarily masculine (which with my body ain't happening soon) and still being heard talk...if that makes sense?

Is it right? No. But it's the sad truth.

My size must be showing.

I need a mens M/L to fit over... er, everything yknow what I'm talking about

You could go steampunk?

Makes perfect sense. I feel awkward when I unintentionally pass and then have to speak to the person who's correctly read me entirely by accident. I'm mezzo-soprano, but I talk in contralto...with difficulty. Seeing as my face is almost completely hairless and I still have a painfully "female" voice, I gave up on trying to pass for the time being. (Though ironically I started passing more...)

And I usually have to wear mens small. But I'm 5'1" (which I might've already mentioned) so it's like wearing a dress...with disproportionately large sleeves. The size of my defects doesn't really lend to them being hidden well, though. And I'm afraid to wear anything that does fit me well everywhere else but my chest because...my chest...destroys the clothes.

And I do go steampunk! It's how I indulge in my guilty pleasure for lace. :P

To go steampunk would be amazing. Unfortunately, that requires a lot of money, talent for sifting thru thrift stores, and sewing--three things I don't have yet XD; but, ah, someday. T'would be amazing. Until then, I'm more than content having one great mens shirt over 10 womens shirts I didn't like at all.

I have thrift-sifting and sewing skills! :D

Sewing is a skill pretty much every transguy should have, seeing as we're usually shorter. And might have slightly different proportions. And that way you'll have clothes that always fit you.

Alternately if you have cooking or moving-heavy-things skills you can get a sewing-savvy friend to tailor your suits for you...

Oh, that money thing you mentioned? I don't have it. I've got, uh...like $13 to my name. But a lot of the fun of steampunk is DIY. I'm building a pair of goggles out of PVC pipe and a bunch of stuff I find lying around. So far, so good!

Guest Thorndrop

I had less variety in girl clothes, actually. I'd go into a girl's store and be lucky to find one thing I could stand wearing. Now, when I go to the men's stores, it's brilliant, because even though there's less over all, there's a much higher percentage that I'd like to wear, so it wins out. :) I like being able to wear things that don't emphasise curves which is the main positive. Only trouble is, I need a men's XS which hardly shows up. But I have a couple of stores I know and love where I never fail to find something nice that fits.

• 1 year later...
Guest Wulfhere

I never noticed a lack of variety in guys clothes, really, but then I've never cared much about fashion to begin with. Grew up wearing mostly guys clothes anyway (except when forced into dresses for formal occasions :S), so could be why I don't see a huge difference, lol. I don't think I've ever owned more than 5 pairs of pants at one time, and mostly wear band t-shirts from concerts or plain shirts (prefer black or blue, sometimes red or grey). But I've also taken a liking to some shirts I saw at Zellers that have heraldic or medieval patterns on them. That is enough variety for me :P

For formal wear, just black or blue polos or button downs with black dress pants.

• Forum Moderator

I am an artist and I do love colors and textures but always loathed frills and patterns. the only thing about women's clothes I liked better was there were more interesting lines -I liked tailored but velvet or asymmetrical-just different and interesting. But comfort was big too. It is harder to find in men's clothing sometimes but it is there and with a strength that to me was usually lacking in women's clothes. I like dramatic. Not flamboyant but unusual and dramatic the way some goth and some Steampunk and some rocker stuff is dramatic.

It feels funny to go into a store now and see something I like in women's clothes. When I ask myself what I am liking and thinking I realize it is the cut and color but I like the look for a woman and not for me at all. Like a costumer (and I enjoy costuming and have a flair for it) . I was never dressing me but this body that I worked with. It wasn't really mine-it was just a showcase for my artistic sensibilities. Now that I have moved into my own body I have no desire to dress it that way at all. But I do feel a little awkward if I am with someone and see something in the women's department and exclain that I like something. I want to be sure they know I don't mean for me to wear. Not now. Not ever again. but after all these years it doesn't mean I can't appreciate something.

Guest Kourtney

Me, personally, am also pre-everything so I'm still a gay male haha. I have to say, I don't mind wearig scrubs and jeans just because I'm use to it. I'd love to dress in more of a fun variety i.e womens. I do buy female jewelry. That always spices things up!