• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Do You Ever Forget About It?

Guest AlexanderG

Guest AlexanderG

I had a good weekend. Worked hard on an essay. Was mostly at ease with my family (mostly).

& more or less forgot about gender-issues. Except for those moments where I was directly confronted with being a girl and being conceived as a girl.

So there I go: see, I'm fine. I'm not transsexual, I don't need to become a man to be happy.

Or is it that Distraction Does the Trick?

on a sidenote: sorry I've been such a poor reader-responder lately. I guess I'm trying to not think about it, hoping I'll find that hey, I'm good, I was just... being theatrical. blah-blah that sorta thing.

So yeah, sorry.

Guest Anna_Banana

I used to be able to forget. But for some god-awful reason everyone is calling me "Sir" and "Dude" and "Man" these days. Let's not forget the dreaded "Mister." And then of course my mom rattles off male pronouns about me or at me every two seconds.

When everyone starts saying "Ma'am" or "Miss," maybe I can forget again.

.Anna

Guest andreahilton

Yeah, I have forgotten about being a transsexual girl. I think distraction does the trick. Strangely, when I'm at home I forget it so easily, in public I remember it completely and at school I just simply forget it so easily when I get into a topic or just simply chatting to another student or teacher.

My family and strangers make me need my rightful body so badly but students and teachers at school make me just wish I was just a boy and to be able to study hard for the future.

It's extremely strange.

Sleep.

And sometimes even then I'm reminded due to the fact it feels as though an antler had just sprouted from between my legs.

I won't raise too much hell about it here lately though, cause for some blessed reason (knock on wood. Ha! No pun intended) those have been few and far between for a good lil' bit now.

And that's certainly nothin' to complain about.

Guest Elizabeth K

We transpeople will always be transpeople I think. My post-op friends say they eventually just forget they were ever anything else but what they are now - but saying that shows they still do remember. GRIN

We have our moments - look to my profile and you can see I am MTF - and then consider what happened - a reverse misreading.

At a certain store the woman came up to me from behind and said, "Can I help you sir?" then when I turned around, 'Err... ma'am?' DELIGHTFUL as I was NOT in female presentstion - just me as I am now. My height had cued her I was one thing, I suppose my face showed her the other. YEAAAAAAA

Lizzy

Guest N. Jane
I think transition is about the only thing that works on a permanent basis.

Well, no, though it becomes a non-issue 95% of the time and it rarely interferes with daily life.

It still pops up when you are getting close to intimacy with a potential partner - how much to tell and when - and it comes up sometimes in a medical situation.

The biggest difference, I think, is that if you HAVE integrated, assimilated, it doesn't bother yu any more because you KNOW who and what you are - you just got there by a different route.

Guest Donna Jean

I tend to forget about it for long stretches of time anymore since I'm moving along in transition...my mind is at ease and The Dysphoria is at a very low level and I don't distress like I used to knowing that I'm moving in the right diction!

And I REALLY like that anymore....It's the best that I've felt in my life!

LOVE

Donna Jean

Guest julia_d

I don't even think about it any more. It's not relevant to my reality. I'm the girl I always have been.. with a few added extras XD

I swear.. the next person who deliberately calls me sir will need some pretty serious facial surgery before they can go out in public again!

Guest sarah f

I can only hope that I will eventually relate to myself as only a girl. You will always have the memories of your past self though. You can only block it out for so long and then the ugly side will come back out hopefully only for a moment. I am sorry that your family takes jabs at you for how you feel but you keep doing what is right for you not them.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest AshleyRF
Well, no, though it becomes a non-issue 95% of the time and it rarely interferes with daily life.

It still pops up when you are getting close to intimacy with a potential partner - how much to tell and when - and it comes up sometimes in a medical situation.

The biggest difference, I think, is that if you HAVE integrated, assimilated, it doesn't bother yu any more because you KNOW who and what you are - you just got there by a different route.

There are always going to be instances where it comes up, but on a day to day basis, I hardly ever think about it anymore. Sure I know the truth but being transgendered is no longer the number one thing on my brain anymore. It's still lingering back there but it no longer bothers me like it use to. I see myself the way the world sees me... as your average woman. All I know is that now that I'm fully assimilated into my chosen gender identity, I don't have the anxieties or issues I once had with being transgendered. I don't think there is anyway to make the knowledge of our nature go away, but transition sure does seem to make it a far far less important part of ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Joanna Phipps

I seem to have hit that point of 90%+ acceptance in my gender and I do forget about being trans, until I have to go to the bathroom. Give me a year or so and I wont have that problem either. As far as potential partners goes, for now thats not a problem and maynot be in the futue either (sorry wont say any more than that).

Even after surgery I will still be trans, however nothing short of a DNA scan will be able to tell. I will simply be another postmenopausal woman who happened to have a complete hystorectomy at sometime.

I forget about it every night, which is fantastic. I remember every morning when I have to get up to take a shower. That part's not so great. :(

But there are definitely times I'll go for a couple of hours without thinking about it, just being comfortable being _me_. I find that most of the time when this happens, I'm either having a great time with my friends, or acting more feminine around the house. I think that just knowing that I will transition someday has made it easier to relax and enjoy myself, without letting my gender-angst get in the way. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I usually forget about it when I'm in public since when I am in public my mind is on other things. The only time my gender issue really bothers me is when I'm alone and my thoughts are left to wreak havoc in my head. Considering I can't do much about my gender issues at the moment I usually tend to drown it out with music or day dreaming.

Guest nymphblossom

Before I started HRT, my gender dysphoria was a life sucking malaise. My medication has been a miracle. The gigantic boulder around my neck is gone. My preoccupation with thoughts of transitioning is gone. I can control my need to express my female self and I feel almost normal again.

Blossom

I used to dwell on it to the point of neglecting everything that I needed to do - I still do sometimes but only when I am alone or I meet a nice person that I would like to have as a friend but in the back of my mind the thought that I should wait and introduce myself later when it would be the real me and not the puppet man.

Do you ever forget?

No, it would require major brain damage to actually forget about 58 years of my life so it will be with me forever but I do hope that the further I go in my transition that it will haunt me less often.

Love ya,

Sally