• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Obama Appoints Transwoman To High Position...

Guest Donna Jean

Guest Donna Jean

This news broke on the last day of 2009...

President Obama appointed a Transwoman to be Senior Technical Advisor to the Department of Commerce!

http://www.gaypolitics.com/

Step by step, bit by bit, we're making inroads in to the real world where we can exist as ourselves and live an accepted life...

I can see a lot of advances coming for us this year!

More states are opening up to same sex marriage...

The military is getting closer to getting rid of DADT (Don't ask, don't tell)...

More and more cites are adopting Gay, gender identity and Transgender protections!

Boys and girls......Before you know it, we'll be real people...soon we'll have as many rights as illegal aliens!

We ARE making inroads!

It WILL happen.....

Hope for a better new year for us all....

LOVE

Donna Jean

Donna Jean,

Calm down Sweetheart!

As many rights as illegal aliens - that is a lot to hope for set your sights on something attainable like the same as the middle class working American who has only slightly more representation than we do.

Remember, baby steps!

I don't know that any other group will ever attain the rights of the illegal aliens.

(Just so you will know - the only problem that I have with illegal aliens is the fact that they are here illegally, my problem is with the government that makes it so difficult for them to come here legally but then turns around and gives them more rights than the rest of us and that includes the legal immigrants to the US - a real slap in the face to them.)

Sorry, Sally is getting all political and she has no idea where that is coming from - a closet activist beginning to peek out of the door perhaps?

Love ya,

Sally

Guest sarah f

I can only dream of the day that we will be equals to the rest of society. I hope it is sooner than later. Until then we just have to keep on making ourselves happy and not care what anyone else thinks.

Love,

Sarah F

Hi Donna Jean,

That"s wonderful news, I hope she does a good job and justifies

this opportunity. There"s a hell of a lot of weight on her shoulders. Hun, we will

gain the same rights as every else . Trans women before you end me did their

share to promote us, we do the same for the young trans men and women who

follow ,,,you hand the baton to me , I hand it on to a younger woman and so on.

All I want out of this life is to transition and try to help others do the same ,,,,,

Sunny Days Donna Jean , Sunny Days. luv,viv :)

Guest AshleeB

you know, it would be nice to be treated fairly and be accepted by the world but what i thnik matters more is that we are able to be ourselves and that IS a reality. hormones, therapy and surgery all make it possible for us ^_^

happiness above fairness in my opinion. both is better though XD i would rather be happy in an unfair world than unhappy in a fair one

• Admin

Wow, Donna Jean, that really is a great piece of news to open the new year with. I hope this appointment doesn't have to go through the

Senate, or she is in for a great deal of trouble from the far right.

What is most impressive is her credentials. That is quite a resume she's got there.

OK, how about a campaign to get our resident rocket scientist appointed to a leadership position? Astro Liz, you up for that??

Carolyn Marie

Jeeeeeepers,,Just had a look at the article. Gives a list of her credentials

and experience going back 20 years,,,,,she only looks 19 for cryin out loud.

And absolutely gorgeous , One of ours, best of luck viv :)

Guest Donna Jean
Jeeeeeepers,,Just had a look at the article. Gives a list of her credentials

and experience going back 20 years,,,,,she only looks 19 for cryin out loud.

And absolutely gorgeous , One of ours, best of luck viv :)

Honey...in another article it says that she has 30 years experience in the aviation and aerospace industry, she's a test pilot and instructor...

Therefor she must be at least 45-50 years old...

Gee, I have no problem with that...

Good for her.....

Good for us.......

Donna Jean

Unbelievable. But then , Im sure I read only lately something

about Trans women not looking their age . I believe this is

because we finally find ourselves in positive treatment re

our gender. You know Donna Jean, being happy on the inside

really shows on the outside. viv :)

Guest Donna Jean
Great news, and yes Viv she is gorgeous. It is a win-win for the administration. I see the Right has already got stuck into it. Grrrr.

Oh, for crying out loud!

Just how can they turn THIS around???

GRrrrrr.....

Thanks for the heads up, Aeryn!

LOVE

Donna Jean

Guest DeniseNM

DJ that is great about her appointment, she is most certainly qualified to do the job. I think it is a BIG step in the right direction for not only us but us as a country. We are so very slowly getting there.

Did anyone notice the article right below that about the senate confirming the first openly lesbian US Marshal. That is another great thing in my opinion.

Thanks for bringing that article to us DJ.

Denise

this is amazing news. I love that america is making strides towards unity, one small step at a time. It might take a lot of little steps to get there, but we're on our way Ladies and Gents, we're on our way.

I can't even begin to express how much I admire Amanda Simpson. I saw that article when there were zero comments, but now I see all the hate-mongering anonymous cowards have discovered the story. When will transphobia be put in the DSM? They could call it ANTIPATHIA TRANSSEXUALIS . . . a disease where the ego is unable to mediate between the drives of the Id and a super ego which has been programmed with defective moral standards and internalized prejudice . . . a kind of sickness of the psychic apparatus of the self. There was even an anti-semitic comment making an assumption about her surgeon. DISGUSTING. I remember from reading my history that rhinoplasty was a new thing in pre WWll and that ant-semites in Germany were worried that Jews would all get nose jobs!! These anti-trans trolls are cut from the same cloth. WHY are these people allowed to get away with making these disgusting comments on the internet??

WHAT HAPPENED??

I made a comment, ran to the bathroom real quick, and when I get back, I'm logged off, my screen is LOCKED, and I'm told to SWITCH USER. ?????? What happened to my comment, what happened to my laptop, what's GOING ON????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Guest Katrina Reann

This is good news and one step in the right direction. But there are many more steps to be taken. Like all I wish things would happen overnight where we could be free and feel safe being ourselves in our own nation. But civil rights things tend to take time and are long hard fought battles. And that is why it is important for those who can to educate the public on why and who we are.

Guest Robin Winter
This news broke on the last day of 2009...

President Obama appointed a Transwoman to be Senior Technical Advisor to the Department of Commerce!

http://www.gaypolitics.com/

Step by step, bit by bit, we're making inroads in to the real world where we can exist as ourselves and live an accepted life...

I can see a lot of advances coming for us this year!

More states are opening up to same sex marriage...

The military is getting closer to getting rid of DADT (Don't ask, don't tell)...

More and more cites are adopting Gay, gender identity and Transgender protections!

Boys and girls......Before you know it, we'll be real people...soon we'll have as many rights as illegal aliens!

We ARE making inroads!

It WILL happen.....

Hope for a better new year for us all....

LOVE

Donna Jean

We'll be real people? No way! Are you serious????

In MY lifetime?? OMG.

WHAT HAPPENED??

I made a comment, ran to the bathroom real quick, and when I get back, I'm logged off, my screen is LOCKED, and I'm told to SWITCH USER. ?????? What happened to my comment, what happened to my laptop, what's GOING ON????? :mad: :mad: :mad:

Nova, sounds like your computer just detected some inactivity and 'locked' your computer. It probably prompted you to reenter your password to log back in. Windows does this so that if you leave for a while and forget to log out, other people can't get in and see your private data. It also doubles as the 'switch user' screen, so you can keep everything running for you, but let another person use your computer for a while. When you switch back to your user, everything you left open (browser, word, etc.) will be right there for you.

On topic: I think it's great that Amanda's got this gig - she's certainly got the experience for it! It's a little weird how she said she hoped to be one of hundreds, though. Are there even that many presidential appointees? I would imagine our president has many more issues on his plate than just hiring people. :P

I'm pretty sure though, that this qualifies as "change I can believe in." :)

Guest ChalenAustin

OMG. This is AWESOME! It's BEY-AWESOME!!!!!!! (Cross between beyond and awesome)

And she's kinda hot too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I woke up yesterday, the annoying morning show radio people (what better alarm clock? can't sleep through that) were talking about this. I was hopeful at first, but they of course called her "he" and made the "A man, duh" comment. I turned off the radio in disgust. More education will definitely be needed :(