• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Found A Job!

Guest Michael J.

Guest Michael J.

Seems like I'm always waning in and out of here whenever I hit rocky spots, but I'm back again with good news and smoother roads?

Seven months ago, the idea of finding a job seemed ludicrous. I'd been on a few interviews, but most of them had turned south the minute I opened my mouth to say hello and introduce myself. Like all introductions when it comes down to the name game. Instantaneous 'what do I say?' panic. Well, a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine popped me a message and told me the store they work at was hiring via 'word of mouth' - basically, they wanted employees to recruit people or have people walk in and ask versus advertising. My friend had already talked to the managing staff about me and managed to get me an interview with an added tid-bit: they knew I was transgendered before I even walked in the door. I had the interview when I went into the store and they hired me straight out of the interview, and after a few mishaps along the way (bungling my first trip to the orientation prior to employment), I finally made it and the job was sealed. Had my first day of work yesterday and started training with how to use a cash register, manage the stock room, etc., etc. Best of all, got that name tag, and there's something fantastic about looking down and it saying 'Mike' (there's another Michael, so as the newcomer, my name is the shortened one. But I don't care, it's awesome - my name tag says Mike!).

It's amazing to me. Really, I didn't think I was ever going to find that job and things felt like they were going south. Now it seems like a turn flip and things are going better than I'd really thought they were going to. Makes me feel stupid for ever doubting that things would get better.

• Admin

That's great, Michael. Congrats!

I hope you have fun and make some good money. It's nice to have money you've earned yourself.

I wish you luck and success.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Jeannine Bean

I second the congrats.

Another thing, for everybody else out there. I chose a gender neutral middle name for professional usage. Might work for some other people too!

Jeannine (Winter) P.

Congratulations Mike!

I read that on your name tag!

That is fantastic news, Michael, I am proud of you and impressed by your friend.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest sarah f

Congrats, I am glad to see that someone out there is open to the idea of us trans. You might have to take your friend out to dinner or something for helping you get the job.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest twinstar4
Seems like I'm always waning in and out of here whenever I hit rocky spots, but I'm back again with good news and smoother roads?

Seven months ago, the idea of finding a job seemed ludicrous. I'd been on a few interviews, but most of them had turned south the minute I opened my mouth to say hello and introduce myself. Like all introductions when it comes down to the name game. Instantaneous 'what do I say?' panic. Well, a couple of weeks ago, a friend of mine popped me a message and told me the store they work at was hiring via 'word of mouth' - basically, they wanted employees to recruit people or have people walk in and ask versus advertising. My friend had already talked to the managing staff about me and managed to get me an interview with an added tid-bit: they knew I was transgendered before I even walked in the door. I had the interview when I went into the store and they hired me straight out of the interview, and after a few mishaps along the way (bungling my first trip to the orientation prior to employment), I finally made it and the job was sealed. Had my first day of work yesterday and started training with how to use a cash register, manage the stock room, etc., etc. Best of all, got that name tag, and there's something fantastic about looking down and it saying 'Mike' (there's another Michael, so as the newcomer, my name is the shortened one. But I don't care, it's awesome - my name tag says Mike!).

It's amazing to me. Really, I didn't think I was ever going to find that job and things felt like they were going south. Now it seems like a turn flip and things are going better than I'd really thought they were going to. Makes me feel stupid for ever doubting that things would get better.

Dear Mike,

I try to stay where I belong, in the parents forum but...

I am so happy for you! Your story gives hope to others! I can just imagine your joy when you see your name on your name tag. Way to go! And way to go for your friend and employer too!

Love,

Twinstar

Just a quick, slightly off topic note to Twinstar - your place is anywhere in the forums, we appreciate the input from parents and SOs in all forums.

Now back to our topic!

I can only imagine the joy of having the right name on your name tag - someday soon I will either be out at work or out of work - I hope for the first with a new name tag that says, "Sally".

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Michael J.

Thanks ya'll!

I can't begin to explain how happy I am about the name tag. I've had good fortune with people, really, so I'm starting to realize that. Even at school, there's been a general willingness to let me sign my name and submit my artwork according to my preference. Luckiest guy in the States. That'd be me. : D

Finding the job alone was great, because it helps me out with staying in schools and I can realistically start looking for a therapist in town. I don't make a lot of money, but it's more than enough for me to work out how to live on it with a good budget, and I've got three worked out for different sets of hours. There's a potential raise in there after three months too, so that's something to look forward to.

I think I owe my friend a lot more than dinner. Ha, ha. She's a wonderful person, and I'm glad to have met her. She's been nothing but great to me even when I haven't known her for long or all that well, so I'd think she deserves breakfast, lunch, and dinner.