• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Makeup: The Big Question: Where Do I Start?!?!

Guest Fatefighter

Guest Fatefighter

This question is aimed at anyone who actually knows what they are doing: How can makeup make me look like me? Tips? Tricks? How to apply eyeliner in a non-owmyeye manner? Choosing the right lipstick/ should I wear any?

Guest van-na

Hi Fatefighter,

<<hug>>

You are you and will always look like you.

Wearing makeup is wonderful for me, I think it helps to make me look better.

I am by no means an expert , but will gladly tell you what I know.

In addition to buying your makeup I would recommend a set of of brushes , they help with many things.

If you have blemishes you will want to get a conciliar to cover them, I don't do this as I have fair skin.

I first cover my entire face with a thin coating of foundation, there are many types , I prefer the liquid type , but their are other types. Just make sure and get one that matches your shin color.

Next I put on my mascara I prefer the water proof kind in black, it doesn't smear or run when it gets wet. It is harder to remove, I use lotion, soap and water. you can also buy makeup remover if you wish.

I only put Mascara on my upper eyelid, if you do your lower one, it will most likely leave a lash imprint in your lower eye lid area because your lower lash will hit the skin when you blink.

Change your Mascara after a few months, bacteria grows well in that little tube , and can cause you an eye infection.

Next I use eyeliner on my lower eyelid, many women do both lids , but I usually just use eyeshadow on my upper.

There are many types of eyeliner, I don't like he liquid type, I use the self sharpening pencil type that you just twist to extend, and comes with a little smudge eraser on the other end . I normally prefer black , but if you wish to wear modest makeup, brown is good too.

I find eyeliner to be the most difficult to apply. I try and just put a very light line across my eyelid , it is very easy to put too much eyeliner, if you make a mistake you can cover it with a little more foundation.

I then do my eyeshadow, I buy the small palette that contains three colors, My favorite is the dark brown , medium brown , and light whitish brown one.

I start at the bottom just above the upper eyelid and put the darker color in a thin line , and then graduate up and to the lighter colors.

Next I outline my lips with a lip liner, and then fill in the lips with lipstick I like the color called natural , it doesn't look too

flashy , I like the conservative look.

I put a little bronze r on my upper cheeks , I prefer it to a blush.

Lastly I put a light coating of setting power over it all , the powder helps keep it from being sticky, and takes away any shininess. get one that matches your skin color.

Makeup can be expensive, but like many things you get what you pay for. It does last a long time , if you use it modestly.

There are many mineral types of makeup , and it does cost the most, I wouldn't recommend it, unless you have beautiful fair skin.

Never sleep in makeup , always remove it , you skin needs to breath , and exfoliate.

Always use a moisturizing night cream on your face at night before bed time.

If you haven't had your hair removed , it is the one thing that will improve your looks the most.

Plucking you eyebrows makes such a difference , if you are unsure how to do it, many nail salons will do it for you for less than $10. After wards you can keep then up yourself with a good pair of tweezers.

Last thing that I would strongly recommend , and the most costly , is facial hair removal, Laser works good for most girls with dark colored hair. It is without a doubt worth every penny you will pay for it. Your face will look more femm once that unsightly hair is gone and your pores close up to give you a smooth face

I hope this helps you

with love from,

:wub: vanna

Guest Fatefighter

Name's Riley :3 *Hugs back*

Well! You certainly helped a lot :P

Still, I have several more questions- Foundation- it's purpose is different from concealer how? Rouge- another name for blush? I'm a fairly pale gal, so how does that affect me? Also, I've got dark brown hair, and pale blue eyes, so what sorts of colors would work for me? Ok, I see what you are saying, is that your everyday makeup? What is a eyebrow pencil? When using eyeliner, am I using the tip on the inside of my eyelid? Or the outer part where the lash is? Have a picture:IMG_0439.JPG

or not, I guess I can't give one at the moment mau

ybe later :3

Guest Lizzie McTrucker
How to apply eyeliner in a non-owmyeye manner? Choosing the right lipstick/ should I wear any?

1. Google search and Youtube are incredible resources for finding out makeup info and tips/tricks on application. First search google for a makeup question you have (i.e. "eye makeup colors for blue eyes") and then after reading a few links on what colors would be great, go to youtube and search "how to apply eyeshadow".

2. I found the best way to learn eyeliner is after reading on the web and watching videos on youtube, to just go ahead and try it. Women were not born pros at makeup, they had to learn it themselves and I'm sure every lady that has put on eyeliner or mascara has accidentally poked themselves in the eye with it. (I have) It's part of the learning curve.

Still, I have several more questions- Foundation- it's purpose is different from concealer how? Rouge- another name for blush? I'm a fairly pale gal, so how does that affect me? Also, I've got dark brown hair, and pale blue eyes, so what sorts of colors would work for me? Ok, I see what you are saying, is that your everyday makeup? What is a eyebrow pencil? When using eyeliner, am I using the tip on the inside of my eyelid? Or the outer part where the lash is?

3. Concealer is used to cover up (or conceal) blemishes. Foundation is used to even out your skin tone and give you an even tone-colored base to which you start your makeup application with.

4. Yes, rouge = blush. Eyebrow pencil is a makeup pencil used to darken light eyebrows, fill in sparse eyebrows, or if you shave yours off, to draw in eyebrows.

5. Eyeliner on your waterline (inside of the lower lash) is something I've heard mixed results on and I haven't been brave enough to try it myself. In fact for me, I'm not too comfortable using eyeliner so I just don't wear it.

Hi Riley :)

I'm no expert but what I have picked up I'll add to the sound advice Vanna and Lizzie have given you. Check out the makeup tutorials by Lauren Luke on Youtube. She does some fab looks and shows you some really useful techniques, though it might take you a couple of views to get past her Geordie (that's NE England!) accent LOL. She's from my home town :)

Don't buy cheap makeup. I'm not saying get really expensive stuff like Dior, Bobby Brown or MAC, but don't buy really cheap stuff you can get from some discount places, unless they are a reasonable brand. I can only speak for the UK, but brands like Maybelline and Rimmel have some great products (Maybelline's foundations are pretty well received in the fashion world and win awards). Saying that, if you can pick up a makeup set to play about with, it's not a bad idea. This gives you lots of choices in different shades and colours. I think my first makeup purchase was a makeup set from a shop called Argos which selle everything, and had something like 3 or 4 lip glosses, 10 or so eyeshadows, a black pencil, mascara, a couple of blushers and a powder. The quality was terrible, but it helped me get used to applying makeup and finding looks that suit.

Maybe visit your local library and pick up a book on makeup, or get one from a bookstore just to get the basics.

On practical tips, I've tried the applying liner to the waterline. The look is amazing, really defining your eyes well, but it is tricky and it can make your eyes smart. I'd stick to applying at the lashline.

Applying lip pencil all over your lips works quite well. You outline your lips (using a pencil means you can make your lips look bigger by applying just outside the lip border), then colour in the rest. Then add lipstick or lip gloss. That way you don't get left with a sharp line the shows up if your lippy gets wiped off. It evens things up a little, too

THere are lots of types of foundations around. THey vary depending on the coverage you need. I've had some nice results from a Maybelline mineral foundation which comes as a powder and feels nice and light and looks quite natural. Be careful selecting a colour though. The best eay is to try a bit from the tester in the store on the bakc of your hand to see if it tones well with your natural colouring. This goes for all makeup, especially lippy.

Avoid some lipsticks that kind of paint your lips. The colour of some of these "allday" lippies really stains and can leave your lips looking rouged when you need them not to be LOL

Overal though, it's fun to try it out, and with a bit of practice and some help from the internet and books you can learn lots of tricks like how to de-emphasise a big nose for example, or my main bugbears, how to make your lips fuller and how to cover dark circles under your eyes. Don't forget that you need to thik about where you might be wearing makeup. You will need to think of different loks for natural and artificial light, and things like more glam looks for evening compared to more subtle for shopping trips during the day.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest E2Sweet
...brands like Maybelline and Rimmel have some great products...

Indeed! Rimmel makes the best mascara I've ever tried. Maybelline has been making some really fun (as in bold) eyeshadows lately.

Guest Elizabeth K

Ummmmm - late reply

I suggest taking several steps in learning - not trying everything at once. Make-up is applied in steps anyway:

Facial preparation (washing - defoliation - moisturizing - hair plucking)

Concealer and Foundation (really important to master this)

Full fascial application (face powder, highlighting, contouring, rouge)

Eyes (mascara and liner)

Eye area (shadow, brow liner)

Lips (liner, lipstick)

Miscellaneous (under chin, breast cleavage, jewelry and sequins)

[Each one can stand alone.]

Also - think: contact lenses, false eyelashes, eyeglasses

For example I FINALLY decided it is best to put on lipstick, then use the lipliner - works better for me as it automatically blends.

And I discovered you can moisturize - THEN put on concealer! Doesn't make sense but it works.

Believe it or not - on slow days the cosmetic make-over counters will help you out if you BUY stuff!

And you need to learn about brushes and application sponges.

And as expensive as this sounds (it is) only buy good cosmetics! That 'little girl' stuff is junk! The best makeup wears all day and you cannot feel it. The new mineral type are fantastic (and $$$).

Buy good containers to store your makeup! Know that if you pack it in a purse - it will be exposed to a lot of heat and cold - so its best to carry a minimal amount. Have a base kit for your cosmetics - they are precious items, those colors you use!

And

You can NEVER have TOO MANY LIPSTICK COLORS! YEAAAAAA (my weakness)

So don't end up looking like a clown. Don't end up looking like a cheap hooker (okay - maybe an expensive one) So go for a minimalist look. What is shown on TV and in the fashion magazines is BOGGUS! No woman can do that and make it work (and most are models with makeup 'airbrushed on" anyway).

Watch how your mother, your wife, your girlfriend, your sister - all the 'real' women in your life apply makeup. Sometimes they will help you out - if you are out to them.

Some opinions!

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean
Ummmmm - late reply

Concealer and Foundation (really important to master this) Been working hard to conceal tone variations on my face....

Full fascial application (face powder, highlighting, contouring, rouge) Don't just stop at the jaw line...FUNKY!!!!

Eyes (mascara and liner) I personally only line the bottom....

Eye area (shadow, brow liner) Too much of this kills you...........

Lips (liner, lipstick)

Miscellaneous (under chin, breast cleavage, jewelry and sequins) Sequins?

[Each one can stand alone.]

Also - think: contact lenses, false eyelashes, eyeglasses Tried false eyelashes once, wife laughed at me...gave 'em to the cats to play with...they think they're spiders....

For example I FINALLY decided it is best to put on lipstick, then use the lipliner - works better for me as it automatically blends. Cool, gotta try that!

And you need to learn about brushes and application sponges. I use both, but still learning a bunch!

And

You can NEVER have TOO MANY LIPSTICK COLORS! YEAAAAAA (my weakness) I have about a dozen now, with favorites, of course!

Some opinions!

Lizzy

Thanks, Lizzy....as usual...really good stuff from you.....How you know so much?

LOVE

Donna Jean

Guest Danielle J

I use an old mascara brush, after washing it out, to go over my eyelashes. After I apply my mascara it works great to separate the lashes so they don't look all clumped up, more natural.

Danielle :rolleyes:

Just wanted to throw in my two cents about eyeliner. I see it too thick wayyyyy too often, and personally I think the only way it works is if you are young and going for an 'emo popstar' look, or some kinda gothic look. Otherwise you'll just look like a very stereotypical 'old school' CD or TV. Something I love to do with the eyeliner is start it out thicker on the outside of the lower eyelid and fade it softly till its not even noticeable on the inside. You can do this with a basic 'pencil' type liner just be very gentle and build it up in layers... Thicker toward the outside. I just find it looks much more natural than simply applying to the whole lid or like a lot of girls do apply it to 3/4's of the lid and have nothing toward the inside :/ If you look at your lower eyelashes you will probably notice they are thicker and longer toward the outside... Hence the more natural look of applying it gradually and blending/fading it out :)

Hope I could be helpful. And by the way great tip about the mascara brush, I do that as well :D

Guest julia_d

my method is real simple.. and quick.. and every day.

I have a concealer that matches exactly my skin colour.. I only use that on the odd spot.

foundation.. I have some of that combined wet/dry stuff foundation/powder.. dead cheap and I have 2 sponges for it.. slap a thin coat over everything.. again it's the same colour as my skin anyway so it's invisible near enough..

blush.. a little.. very little.. just to put a little colour in my cheeks. and i give my whole face a quick over with the brush too just to matte the powder which can be a little shiny..

eyes.. i use a black eyeliner but only at the bottom.. makes my green eyes stand out.

shadow.. I use a purple/brown powder.. put on with a pretty big brush

lips.. whatever takes my fancy.. usually a rather drab metallic pink.. nothing special.. or if I want to make a bit more of a statement bright scarlet.

total time (I have years of experience) .. less than 10 minutes from start to streets. Nobody looks like a supermodel here.. I get enough stares because of my general tallness and svelte looks in a town of people wider than they are tall.. so simple and easy for everyday.. going somewhere special I don't honestly do much more apart from take a little more time.. and perhaps a different eyeshadow.

that reminds me.. I need sardines and bread and some more foundation.. better hit the shops soon XD