• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Being Counted - Would You?

Guest Michele H

How would you answer  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Are you or do you suspect that you are gender varient

• I would answer the question honestly
    • I would not answer the question honestly
  2. 2. What is your gender orientation? (5choices: FtM, MtF, M, F, Other

• I would answer the question honestly
    • I would not answer the question honestly

Guest Michele H

One of our problems is that no one truly knows how many trans people there are. Detractors claim that there are very few of us yet we know that there are far more but can't prove it. There is some discussion in activist circles about trying to gety the "trasns question" included on a census (next shot would be 2020). I wonder, though, how many would honestly answer that question if it appeared on the 2010 census? If we didn't answer correctly - the under count could play into the hands of those who would see us sent to the gheto. To see if this is a problem, please answer the following questions as you would if it was on your census form

It may seem to be a contradiction because I am not out to very many people - due entirely to financial and a small legal matter that should be resolved shortly - but I have no problem being counted as and MTF - I he never cared for the term Transsexual but that is how I am identified and I will no more deny it than I would being Caucasian because I think that it has an ugly sound as well.

This is not the place to be shy or coy - this is where we can make a stand after all the government will have to know all about you before you finish your transition's paperwork - Social Security Numbers, Driver's Licenses and name changes all go through governmental agencies from local to federal.

So if asked to stand up and be counted - I will and I'll even help Donna Jean up high enough so they can see her too!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Michele H

Wow - while not many have taken the poll yet - the response so far, along with the comments has made my day! I'm lying in bed with a cold that will not go away and this have really perked me up! My love and kisses to you all

The confidentiality of these replies is very important. By law, no one — neither the census takers nor any other Census Bureau employee — is permitted to reveal identifiable information about any person, household, or business. Without such protections, those living illegally in the United States or hiding from the government would be deterred from submitting census data.

Sure, why not?

I don't get counted in the US Census, obviously, but I think I'd be too paranoid to answer a question like that honestly. Sure, the government would hypothetically already have my info from changing my other documents, but they'd have to go looking through those records specifically to find either trans people in general or me. It's too easy to generate a list of all American trans people from a simple question like that, and while the results of the census are supposed to be kept confidential, that just seems like asking for trouble. I think someone would be far more likely to leak a list of all trans people than, say, a list of all people with the same income level. The levels of transphobia in this country make creating a list like this a potentially dangerous thing to do.

In my eyes, this isn't a question of pride, but rather a question of personal safety. Granted, I am very very cautious about who I am out to because I am stealth, but I'm also in an area where if I was outed, I would probably still be fairly safe. I been able to stay stealth for this long because I'm a little paranoid about things like this. My point is that I think my cautiousness about this, though perhaps a little overzealous, has some merit to it.

Guest sarah f

I would have no problem letting them know the truth. It will only help us out more if we all stick together and let the world know how many of us there are. I think there are a lot more people in hiding than we can imagine. Most are afraid to come out ever in fear of being labeled. I wish there was a way we could start an online count of how many of us are out there but to afraid to come out. Then we could have a better idea.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest Joanna Phipps
Zab is sick, Dee Jay was sick - now you!

Must be a computer virus!

I think we should be counted!

Lizzy

Falls in line with the others, takes her turn waving the flag.. we need accurate numbers to persuade politicians that we are actually worth dealing with.;l

Guest julia_d

I refuse to answer government prying.. always have and always will.. I lie and have on the last 2 that I have been forced to provide a return on.. by staying out until after midnight that makes my address "no one eligible" .. technically it's not even a lie. I will not be traced or monitored by use of a census.

People don't get it.. these things are public records.. sooo.. at your address suddenly somebody with a different first name but the same date of birth or age appears.. especially if you live alone.. ever heard of outing yourself to everybody in a way that can be used by media and others against you?

I won't even vote.. my answer on the matter is clear enough. I don't comply with state big brother methods.

I think...if it were the sort of census where you remain anonymous, but the actual statistics themselves are made public, then yes, I would answer honestly (not that Australia would ever have a census like this, but hey). I think that, if provided with the opportunity to answer truthfully for myself, and to not have to conform to their M/F sex identification, I would take it, because otherwise it would seem like I was still bowing to institutionalised homo/transphobia in feeling the need to continue to conceal how/who I really am. I think it's also important for others out there like us to *know* that there are others. Being who you are is easier when you're not alone, and I think - remembering that I'm not actually in a position to have to do this - that not being honest would be a disservice to ourselves, as the fewer numbers would mean less support, and less awareness, and less acceptance, and less change. The more we speak up, and the more visible we are, the better off our long-term situation will (/should) be.

But again, I'm safe and employed and warm in bed at home in my parents' house. If it meant losing my job/family/home/life, I don't know.

xox Remus

Guest Jean Davis

I definately would tell the truth.

This is an excellent opportunity to stand up and get counted not only to help get the rights I deserve but for those people who come after me. We have to stand up for the next generation, otherwise nothing will change and the next generation will suffer the same horrors that we do.

LUV

Jean

Guest Michele H

The national Gay and Lesbian task force is distruting peel off stickers to put on the back of the census envelope that says:

ATTN: U. S. CENSUS BUREAU IT'S TRIME TO COUNT EVERYONE

Are you (check all that apply) - then check boxes for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or a straight ally - it's on gloss stock so I don't think you could check a box (wouldn't recommend it anyway) - You can get order packs of these stickers at www.queerthecensus.org.

I plan on putting a sticker on my census envelope - how about you.

Guest Amanda joan

I would Vote truthfuly.

I must admit though that I was polled through my work E-mail about new technology and my impressions of them. They started by asking about TV watching, newpapers and magazines and internet use. I check off that I read Glamour and that I had not heard of most of the techie stuff that they were asking about. Then it asked for my age range and then my gender. I froze....... I had a hard time figuring out what to do. I decided to go with what the company considered me to me and checked off male. I hated doing that. This happened again when I was taking a pole a few days ago and I checked off that I was female but, that did not feel right either. So I guess I would be really happy to see additional boxes for us to declare who we are.

Let's be bold, let's be counted.

Peace & Love Amanda

Guest Ryles_D

Is the census anonymous? If it was- I don't see the problem in answering honestly. But if there's a way for people to use this to out stealth trans people- it could definitely be a problem.

Guest Robin Winter
The national Gay and Lesbian task force is distruting peel off stickers to put on the back of the census envelope that says:

Are you (check all that apply) - then check boxes for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender or a straight ally - it's on gloss stock so I don't think you could check a box (wouldn't recommend it anyway) - You can get order packs of these stickers at www.queerthecensus.org.

Ok...We need a Canadian version of this.....

Guest Natalie92

The law requires I tell how many people are living in my household. NOTHING MORE. I would not specify my gender identity, race, income level, or anything else.

But that's just me

Natalie Alexis

Guest Ryles_D

Where are they distributing this?

this isn't a question of pride, but rather a question of personal safety.

I agree. The safety and liberty of your family and friends is also at stake. I have great reservations about the cataloging of the population because whilst you may have a government or power who is sympathetic to you today, history has taught us that you can never be sure what you will have tomorrow.

The increase in acceptance that LBGT people and indeed all people have gained in the last 50 years is, sadly, not necessarily a one way street. It is impossible to tell whether the tide of increasing acceptance of LBGT people - or any other demographic of people; racial, social, political, religious, medical, scientific or otherwise - will turn.

Liberty is fragile.

The Stonewall riots were only 40 years ago, homosexuality is still illegal in loads and loads of countries. Little more than 60 years ago (within living memory of some of my family) western Europe was systematically "ethnically cleansed" and it's still happening in parts of the world today. Eugenics and compulsory (forced) sterilisation was being practiced for most of the c20th in many countries - even in progressive and liberal nations like Sweden (Sweden didn't formally abolish compulsory sterilisation until 1976). In the US, the Oregon Board of Eugenics, rebraded as the "Board of Social Protection" still existed in 1983. This is all too close for comfort.

Guest Donna Jean

Ok.I see where this is going and now I've had a chance to re-think my stand on this...

I know that many countries used statistics in the past to control the population...in a bad way...

Germany had gun control and all firearms were registered...they collected all firearms from the population under Hitler because he knew that an unarmed population was easier to cow. He also used the stats to round up portions of the population deemed "undesirable".

And the possibilities from the misuse of the census scare me to death.....

BUT!

Everything ever devised can be used for good or evil...look at Alfred Nobel, whom the Peace prize was named after..He invented dynamite...he wanted it used to clear trees and rocks, and harbors..yet, look what happened to it...evil.

Yes, the census data can be used for evil.....

But, sometimes we must place trust in our country, our way of life...every thing that we stand for...

The data is for population counts...it helps with steering money to roads, schools...places where it is needed..

It tells general income level which helps with setting the tax rates...

It helps with representation of groups of people that are under represented...US!

Yep....if the government thinks that there are very few of us, we won't be given the attention we are due.

We split from England years ago because of taxation without representation...

We now have representation...

Those that know me know that I'm not a pro government table banger...

I was sent to VietNam by the government...I'm a firearms owner and I will not give them up...I dislike high taxes, although I realize that some tax is necessary...

But, I'll co-operate with the census...I want them to know that we're here. We exist...They can't close their eyes and make us go away.....

Oh my! What was in that coffee?

Donna Jean

Guest Joanna Phipps

Liberty may be fragile, but that which we are not willing to fight for we can lose all too easily

I am one of those who will take the stand that, while it is good to learn what the past can teach, not stepping boldly forward because of our fear of what has happened in the past is going to keep us from becoming full an equal members of society. Remember it was FDR who said "The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself..." It is the fear of the past that has kept the transsexual population riding the coat tails of the rest of the LGB movement and it will keep us as the poor second cousins unless we decide to step boldly out and let the country and the world know that we are here now, always have been and always will be, and that pure and simple we want the same rights and protections under and before the law as the rest of society. Those who put their lives on the line durring the three days of Stonewall didnt let the past hold them back, if they had we might still be living under those horrid conditions, remember that Pride day is actually a commemoration of Stonewall (the first was held in New York on the first anniversary of that event).

I realize that open activism is not for everyone, however for us to move forward as a community it is up to each and everyone of us to do something. Look at where you are in your transition, in your life and ask yourself what you could do for our community if you were called on to do something.

"No one can do everything but everyone can do something"

Liberty may be fragile, but that which we are not willing to fight for we can lose all too easily

I'm 100% with you on that Joanna; freedom and liberty must be continually fort for. But, I don't feel that providing that information will bring any more freedom that couldn't be won with less cost to privacy. Part of freedom is not having to submit to intrusion or interference in your life and the census is certainly that. I'd have the same opinion if the question was about ethnic origin, religion, what side of the bed I sleep or how many pieces of fruit I eat each day. None of their business as far as I'm concerned. ;) Give them only the legal minimum.

Guest Joanna Phipps
I'm 100% with you on that Joanna; freedom and liberty must be continually fort for. But, I don't feel that providing that information will bring any more freedom that couldn't be won with less cost to privacy. Part of freedom is not having to submit to intrusion or interference in your life and the census is certainly that. I'd have the same opinion if the question was about ethnic origin, religion, what side of the bed I sleep or how many pieces of fruit I eat each day. None of their business as far as I'm concerned. ;) Give them only the legal minimum.

If, in order to get those rights and freedoms, we need to figuratively and litteraly stand up and be counted so that the politico's know how many of us there are (or at least how many of us wish to hold out heads up) the I am for it. Yes there is a risk that the information can be turned to ill use but that is the risk we take with all information today.