• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

How Can I Dress?

Guest Lady Nykeisha

Guest Lady Nykeisha

This is going to sound bad, but my mom was saying I would have to get special clothes or whatever.

Would I have to get any "special" clothing? Or could I just wear whatever clothing the other girls wear? (except for skirts, at least not until I'm completely comfortable doing that)

Guest i is Sam :-)

If you are exceptionally tall you might have trouble finding clothes that fit, or if you've got very large feet, you may have trouble with shoes. but otherwise, no, I can't think what the heck she's on about, it's complete nonsense.

Guest Robin Winter

You can wear whatever you want that you find in your size. I shop the ladies section of whatever store I happen to like...special clothing? The only special clothing I've heard of for transwomen is gaffs :P

Guest Victoriaf

Hello sweetie

The only thing special i ever had toget was a wig and breast forms. Other than that i wear the same clothes other ladies wear. In fact half the time me and my lovely spouse fight over who gets towear which outfit.

So your answer in short,no you do not needanything special.

Huggs

Victoria

Guest julia_d

The NHS helped this cancer survivor with wigs.. they look good and other cancer sufferers clock the 100+ styles and give you the nod.. also explains (apparently) the lack of real breasts.. not that I'm saying get cancer.. just that your doc in the UK may be able to help you with a hair problem that is causing serious discomfort..

Otherwise I just buy clothes I like and wear them. Nothing special at all.. There are tall women, but they are usually very skinny.. there are sources for long girls.. and for short girls.. and as for large.. well.. just look on the streets and you will see that to run out of clothing options you would have to enter the "whale" category. ;)

That brings back memories of attending a gender conference in my short denim skirt with long boots and designer tops and watching these 40 something overweight women "steering" these floral frocks around a stage.. strewth.. I'm over 40 now and I don't look like that hehehehehehe

Guest Donna Jean
This is going to sound bad, but my mom was saying I would have to get special clothes or whatever.

Would I have to get any "special" clothing? Or could I just wear whatever clothing the other girls wear? (except for skirts, at least not until I'm completely comfortable doing that)

Honey...

I'm thick, but, I guess that I don't understand what you mean by "special"....

Can you help out a little there?

Thanks...

Donna Jean

What the others have said. Anything that is the right size. You might want to mess about with certain styles to make shoulder look smaller or emphasise your waist, but there is a lot of overlap between women. There are physical differences in teh overall body proportions of the average male versus the average female (women have longer legs, men longer torsos), but the point is the are average sized, and people of either gender come in all shapes and sizes. You might find clothes from certain shops are cut better for you than from other places, but half the the fun is in finding out

Guest Lady Nykeisha
Honey...

I'm thick, but, I guess that I don't understand what you mean by "special"....

Can you help out a little there?

Thanks...

Donna Jean

I guess she was worried that elements of me would stand out, I think she might have only meant shoes and undergarments. I don't know. But I do have big feet, that might be a slight problem.

Guest DisDwarf

I found some clothes for pregnant moms in my area that look like they can fit my obese male body LOL. I think looking into clothes for moms can help because they are usually larger and have lots of space for a beer belly

• 3 weeks later...
Guest E2Sweet
...Anything that is the right size. You might want to mess about with certain styles to make shoulder look smaller or emphasise your waist, but there is a lot of overlap between women. There are physical differences in teh overall body proportions of the average male versus the average female (women have longer legs, men longer torsos), but the point is the are average sized, and people of either gender come in all shapes and sizes. You might find clothes from certain shops are cut better for you than from other places, but half the the fun is in finding out

Indeed this is all true. If you're wanting to be out in the public eye, then the real trick is to find the styles that flatter your shape the most, and perhaps mask areas that you wish to de-emphasize.

I most often wear a size 6 bottom and around a size 8 top, but that varies by manufacturer. Within those sizes, some types of clothing simply looks better on me than other types. I find empire waisted tops and komono style tops look the best one me because they disguise my low waist to underbust ratio. Also, tops that fit snugly at the bust area but loosey toward the bottom work well. Basically, these styles make me look more curvy than I am and emphasize my (fake) bust, all while de-emphasizing my straight-as-a-stick torso. I avoid tight fitting one piece outfits of any kind. They simply do not work on me at all.

If you have muscular legs, look for bottoms that fit loosely on the legs. If your legs are fairly smooth in shape, then you can do outfits based around leggings and such. It's about using common sense and combining it with a developed sense of style that is the goal. It takes time and practice to put it all together.

Also, watch "What Not To Wear" on TLC for pointers. That show has been quite helpful for me.

This is about as special as clothing needs to be.

Enjoy and best wishes!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 124 Guests (See full list)

• MaryEllen
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • April Marie
    • Birdie
    • VickySGV
    • MaybeRob