• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Article In New York Times Re. Name Changes

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Yeah, Carolyn.....

Very good indeed!

Well, if not everyone, at least some of us are making inroads.!

And the more that happens like that, the more overall things get better for us!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

That was very well written.

Whenever I hear about discrimination against trans people, I get extremely upset. However, whenever I see something positive like this I get proportionately happy :D

• Admin
Someone had posted this in another forum I'm in and to be honest, I don't know the point to it! Lol, to the article that is.

Mostly, it was New York patting itself on the back. Secondarily, trans issues always make good copy.

We're different (a.k.a "strange") so people want to hear about us. Not necessarily a good thing. <_<

Why else would they include photos? No real need in an article like that.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Chris_421
Mostly, it was New York patting itself on the back. Secondarily, trans issues always make good copy.

We're different (a.k.a "strange") so people want to hear about us. Not necessarily a good thing. <_<

Why else would they include photos? No real need in an article like that.

Carolyn Marie

Lmao thought so when I read it and it felt like a "So?"

I mentioned in the other forum that an issue regarding ID which isn't mentioned is the sex marker. You can be "passing" 100% (in my case facial hair, deep voice and just more masculine) but have an ID saying something different because you haven't been able to access/afford surgery.

Well ,the reason it was there is that the GENDA bill vote is coming up in New York state. The GENDA bill is an anti discrimination bill for transgender people in the state . We in NYC have had anti discrimination bill for some time. If you live upstate NY you can be fired- the usual.. My guess is that they are trying to bring the subject up to the general public in a nice calm way. N Y Times is a liberal paper. I changed my name my self. It was easy. We have a number on LGBTQ centers in the city. the largest being the Center. The first Monday of the month there is a name change clinic where volunteer lawyers fill out the paper work for free, There is also group named the Sylvia Rivera law project that has a web site with all the info, what court house to go to, everything you need to know to change most of your documents.

I also know Roberta Schnur. We have attended the same support group and have had dinner together a few times she is a smart well read person who is fun to be with. You have to give these women and men a lot of credit for putting them selves out there no way they can go stealth now.

Kelly