• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finding A Therapist

Guest Michael J.

Guest Michael J.

After being fidgety about the idea of seeing a therapist, I got over the phobia and asked a friend to help me rectify my transportation issues (and my general anxiety of medical professionals by at least dropping me off at the office). They agreed to help me get there, pick me up, all of that stuff, so I'm finally able to think about seeing a professional about whatever goes on up in my head. I've got a small list amassed of local therapists with price ranges I can afford (and two whose prices I don't know because they weren't listed on their website. Which kicks up my anxiety, but they're also on the list of gender therapists up on the main site here, so I'm not sure on that?)

I was wondering: for those of you who have already found a therapist, how'd you come to your decision on who to see? I know most of the therapists on my list have free phone consultations. Other than the obvious (most of them have expertise in Gay and Lesbian issues, but, with the exception of two on the Laura's list, I have no idea if they've ever dealt with someone identifying as trans), any advice on questions I should ask? I'm trying to get started, but I've never done this before, so I'm not exactly sure how to other than to set up the free phone consultations. :[ And maybe that's all there is to it, but any advice on things to ask or experiences with therapists would be helpful. I've just never dealt with them before, and so I'm not sure what to expect or look for.

Hi Michael J!

One way is to ask friends who live in your area who have seen a theraist regarding the same situation. Referrals of your friends are good, cos people close to you won't want you to see an unprofessional therapist.

Other way is to contact your local LGBT center for details of therapists who have experience in Gender Disorder. There is a chance that they will recommend who is good and who you should avoid, but it depends on the center.

Dude, hope you will get a good professional and be on your way! ^_^

Mila

Guest SusanKG

Hi Michael J,

Two primary methods I see are:

1. Compile your list of therapists from Laura's, the phone book, and other sources. If there are many, prioritize them by gut response to whatever information you have, and call them with a short list of questions, i.e., what training and experience in Transgender issues do they have, do they offer a no charge full length first consultation, preferably in person but by phone otherwise, what is their standard procedure and timeline to help the average transgendered person through the process (of course YMMV), and any other questions that you feel are important to have answered prior to entering therapy with any therapist.

2. Recomendations from any support group you know of. That turns out to be the method that worked for me; I finally found a TG support group, went to one meeting, then heard of a new group starting and went to the first meeting of it. It was organized and facilitated by a therapist, so it turned out to be one stop shopping for me. Other than the several meetings I've attended, I have only had one therapy session with him; a no-charge first session, but he seems to be fine, so I'll continue. And he is flexible regarding fees - always an important factor. You can't count on having a staff therapist in your support group, but the group should be a source of recomendations.

You're investing a lot in the therapy process - time, money, emotion. Give the process a chance; make sure the therapist will be a good fit, and can and will help you reach your goals.

SusanKG