• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Loosing My Home Due To Discrimination

Guest Zabrak

As the title says.

I got a new landlord a month ago and hes discriminating againts me because I'm trans. Hes already givin me my eviction note. I understood he didn't like my cat in the first place but I found out it was a excuse to discriminate againts me and that he really doesn't care about the cat. The eviction note says that I've damanged the apartment and the only way to evict me legelly is to say that so thats why hes doing it. The thing is there is no damage to the apartment at all and he knows that. He refuses to answer my phone calls or come in and show me "the damange".

Its always one thing or the other with me. I guess I'm just bound to have a bad life no matter what. I feel like I'm just about to give up life because it aint worth running into bad things my whole life. People are just going to get sick of me because of all the bad things that happen. No ones going to end up wanting to talk to me if I always just end up down.

Hi Zabrak,

So sorry to hear this. That would be illegal here. What legal recourse do you have there? It's so wrong that there has to be some law against it.

Best of luck - hopefully it will all work out okay

Love, Kat

• Root Admin

Geez, Z-man that really terrible. If you recall, the same thing happened to Joe Cool a few months ago. I wouldn't try to fight it. Start looking for a new place as soon as you can. Even if you were able to prove discrimination and win a case against your landlord, they would find ways to make your life miserable. I know what I'm talking about. I worked for a property management company for many years and I've seen all the dirty little tricks they can pull.

It's discouraging when life keep throwing these roadblocks in front of you but you can overcome them. You're tough and you're not a quitter. Even though you feel pretty low right now, you've got the strength to go on to even bigger and better things. You never know what you can accomplish until you set your mind to it. You've got it in you. Now go get 'em.

Don't ever think that nobody will want to talk to you if you complain a little bit. We're your friends here and true friends don't run out when the going gets tough. So rant, rave and complain all you want. We're listening to you and we ain't running. You've been a good friend to all of us here and we're not going to desert you now.

Hugs,

MaryEllen

Guest NatalieRene
As the title says.

I got a new landlord a month ago and hes discriminating againts me because I'm trans. Hes already givin me my eviction note. I understood he didn't like my cat in the first place but I found out it was a excuse to discriminate againts me and that he really doesn't care about the cat. The eviction note says that I've damanged the apartment and the only way to evict me legelly is to say that so thats why hes doing it. The thing is there is no damage to the apartment at all and he knows that. He refuses to answer my phone calls or come in and show me "the damange".

Its always one thing or the other with me. I guess I'm just bound to have a bad life no matter what. I feel like I'm just about to give up life because it aint worth running into bad things my whole life. People are just going to get sick of me because of all the bad things that happen. No ones going to end up wanting to talk to me if I always just end up down.

Zabrak you have to be strong. Some people are just jerks to the core and hate everyone and everything. Thats what your landlord is. He is probably lashing out against you because of his insecurities. If you where not trans he'd hate you for something else. People like him are unhappy and lash out at the world to make everyone else as miserable as them. Don't let him get to you.

While it's true you're going to have to move. It's for the best. You'll get a fresh start and if you do it on your own you do have a recourse that will teach him a lesson he won't soon forget.

Go through the entire place with a camcorder (or computer web cam) and document that the apartment is spotless as moving out. Do this as soon as you can, and quickly find another place to live. Proceed to the nearest court house and sue him for discrimination and committing perjury while making false statements about what you "did" to his apartment to the judge. Don't continue to live on his property so he can't trash it while you're out and say you did it. Once you're done with court and this crooked jerk is judged against by the judge you can spend your settlement money on buying your own place. Don't worry about him perjury is a major offense and he'll be facing jail time. Couldn't happen to a better person huh. :D

I'm not sure what the housing market is like up in Canada or if there are any first time home buyers programs or if your job has an assistance program.

Guest ~Brenda~

Kyle,

I am so sorry to hear this :( I know it is a pain to find another place, but I guess that is what you have to do. If I may suggest that you find a place that has no problems with pets. Having a new landlord that has personal biases towards trans people and pets is no place you want to be in anyway. I don't know what kind of apartment situation you live in now, but I suspect that is is not an apartment complex. I would take this setback as an opportunity to find a place more suited to your lifestyle. I think that a large apartment complex would be a good place for you (that allows pets). With apartment complexes you are not dealing with a "landlord" per se. You pay your rent to a corporation not to an individual. It is less personal, but in your case, I think that is for the better.

Setbacks in your life are not an indication of how your life will be. Setbacks are just that... setbacks, exceptions to your life.

You are still so very young. You have so much life to live still :) Your life is just beginning to unfold, and it will be a good life... you will see.

Love

Brenda

Z-man,

I am sorry to hear about your idiot landlord, if not you then someone else, when you move out it will be someone else, you got great advise to take pictures or video record your apartment so if the landlord damages it and will not give you the security deposit back you can sue him for it.

Good luck finding a new apartment quickly to get away from that jerk.

Paula

Guest Chris_421
Go through the entire place with a camcorder (or computer web cam) and document that the apartment is spotless as moving out. Do this as soon as you can, and quickly find another place to live. Proceed to the nearest court house and sue him for discrimination and committing perjury while making false statements about what you "did" to his apartment to the judge.

I second this, if you do do a recording (probably best option) get a newspaper for that date to show the actual date...it's good proof.

If you don't mind me asking, what province are you in?

Guest Elizabeth K

Kyle - hey guy - be strong! You are NOT one of those people who give up! Its the stupid landloard not you causing this mess - he will be like that all his life - stupid! You on the other hand will rise to fame and fortune! You just have that survival knack!

Tough break though! Maybe something better awaits you elsewhere!

Lizzy

Well Kyle,

You do know that if you can get here you always have a place at my house - I mean that!

I will always be here for you and help in any way that I can - we have been through way too much together for you to even think that I would ever not want to speak to you - you don't complain that much and you have been there for me when I was really down so forget about this jerk and move on.

Not only are you talented and a survivor you are a genuinely good person and the world needs all of them that we can get!

You will make this work to your advantage, I know you will.

Love, hugs and devotion,

Sally

• Admin

Kyle, prove to this jerk that you are a better man than he is. Hold your head up and leave that place with your dignity and pride. You don't need his baloney.

You can do better, and you will do better.

Not all landlords are heartless, prejudiced jerks. I know you can find a good place that will accept you and your cat.

Like everyone else has said, you should never feel bad about posting your troubles here. We are always here for you, Kyle. We always will be.

We're your friends, and we care about you, and we'll stick up for you any time you need us. All you have to do is ask.

You're a good man, Kyle. Never think less of yourself. You've got good things happening in your life, so focus on them and forget about this doo doo.

It will pass.

HUGS

Carolyn Marie

Hi Zabrak,

Hun, you have come up against a jack booted skin head ( any tats on the rat??).

I hate to use this kinda language but when these insects crawl outa the woodwork,,,well,

you know the feeling hun , yeh ???. A move wont hurt too much , leave that hole and

start fresh under your proper name . Your a man !!!!present as one and leave the old you

behind for good . Zabrak , I know all too well how difficult our live"s can be -but both

of us know its worth the climb ,look for that light at the end of the tunnel , I swear to you

its there . I also know we need friends to share the good and not so good times . You

dig deep as you can and spit out all that crap among us here , we will be here all

day /all night , you are NEVER alone . We love you hun,,,,please know that , you are my

rock too you know ,I need you in good health and ready to help me up when I fall down.

I am hoping you get this problem out of your life soon , put that effort in , I know its

though but I know its in you hun. We may know setback ,,,we never do defeat ,,EVER!!!

I have spoken before about the warrior who lives in our soul"s , I truly believe this.

Tell him you need him now ,,,he wont let you down ,,,,luv,viv :)

Thanks all....I want to move but the landlord is lieing to people about me sayign I damanged the place. I already lost one place I could of got into because of him....it seems like everyday he comes up with more lies to try to make me look bad and he refuses to give any proof for them. But other landlords don't expect a grown man to make up lies so they trust hes telling the truth about me....

I'm really scr-wed...I need to find a place somehow without letting the people contact the lieing bigot of a landlord I have...

Guest i is Sam :-)

Well if you wanna find a new place with a landlord that is ok with you being trans, then I guess you should be honest when you're talking to potential landlords. Show them a few pics of the place spotless and then explain that he's kicking you out because he's a trans/homophobic facist. I would do what other's have suggested, document the whole place so that you can sue, and you should also contanct every GBLT group you can in the area and name and shame this jerk.

I wouldn't try to fight it. Start looking for a new place as soon as you can. Even if you were able to prove discrimination and win a case against your landlord, they would find ways to make your life miserable. I know what I'm talking about. I worked for a property management company for many years and I've seen all the dirty little tricks they can pull.

Can you please elaborate on some of these "tricks" because to me it's starting to sound like he should be looking into taking legal action before he's totally shut out of any possible place to go... What should he be looking out for? What should any of us be looking out for if we ever end up in a similar situation? It'd really be nice to know.

Guest NatalieRene
Thanks all....I want to move but the landlord is lieing to people about me sayign I damanged the place. I already lost one place I could of got into because of him....it seems like everyday he comes up with more lies to try to make me look bad and he refuses to give any proof for them. But other landlords don't expect a grown man to make up lies so they trust hes telling the truth about me....

I'm really scr-wed...I need to find a place somehow without letting the people contact the lieing bigot of a landlord I have...

You need to document on video what your place looks like. Go back to one of the places you liked that turned you down because of what he said and then show them your current place. Once they see that the place you are living at now was not trashed they will realize that the other landlord is a scum bag. Anything else the land lord said will be reveled to be nothing but lies just on the basis that he would make false statements about the state of his building. If he is trying to say you damaged property outside of the apartment he would need proof of you having done so. This is a good thing though, if you play your cards right you now have first hand witnesses that this land lord douche bag is slandering you.

If that doesn't work and you just want out then just ommit to the next land lord that you ever lived there. Change your ID to reflect that you live at home with your parents. Go to your next apartment and tell them you're moving out on your own. You're young enough that people won't think much of it and this snake can't say crap about it because you don't have to use him as a reference.

Guest CharliTo

yeah. dump that douche. in fact, if it were me, i would stay in there (while I put all my valuables in a friend's house) even after the eviction notice and wait until the landlord finally appears in front of your house. If they ask you why you haven't left, well...that's when you definitely can let him know a mouthful, starting with a "can you please explain what EXACTLY did I trash?"

That's me though. Lately I've becoming a bit confrontational. Do what you can...and like what Natalie said, definitely don't say you lived there before cuz nothing good'll come out of that one when applying for new places if it comes down to that...

Guest Donna Jean

Short and sweet, Honey...........

You are a better man than him.

Beauty is skin deep, But stupid goes straight yo the bone!

LOVING HUGGS!

Donna Jean

We arre collecting everything we can againts my new landlord..we have more then enough to clearly show what hes doing againts me and that hes lieing. But I still fear he'll somehow win. The eviction letter says we caused damange, but we didnt, so I fear he'll try to keep our damange deposit and we NEED that money to move. I could borrow it from someone else for awhile but I have to get it back because I do not have that money to spare. There is 0 damage done here and I kept this place clean and perfect - I shouldn't be punished because my landlords a bigot.

I am trying to work around my landlord and get another place. The thing is I never gave the place I applied to my current home, she called herself and talked to my new landlord without my concent.

I wanted my roomate whos not under the lease to call places and put her name in for taking a look, that way they'll look at her first. However, my roomate doesn't clean, or do anything or pay for anything in the apartment, so shes been too lazy to pick up the phone and call the numbers I've found....I am pretty much her babysitter because shes too lazy to do anything and I don't trust any other random person to become my roomate. The roomate I had before her threw temper tantrums when she had to clean her own kitty litter box or do her own dishes. People my age are not mature and expect me to be their parent by cleaning up after them and doing all their work. If I don't...well the place will end up smelling like rotting food and cat urine and I wont be able to breath.

Zabrak,

I am so sorry that you have all of these problems, life should be easier for good people but it seems it is always harder.

You have two problems with roommates and landlords - for one you are too mature and for the other you are different.

Nothing can make either of them grow up!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest praisedbeherhooves
As the title says.

Do you have proof that he evicted you because of your gender orientation? If you do, you can sue him. I'm sure the ACLU will be glad to pick up the case.

Guest Donna Jean
Do you have proof that he evicted you because of your gender orientation? If you do, you can sue him. I'm sure the ACLU will be glad to pick up the case.

Hmmmmmm.........

Zabrak is in Canada........Is the ACLU active up there?

Donna Jean

Guest praisedbeherhooves
Hmmmmmm.........

Zabrak is in Canada........Is the ACLU active up there?

Donna Jean

Oh, probably not. >.< However, there probably is a Canadian equivalent.

Guest Joanna Phipps

Zab if you can prove he evicted you because of your gender go to the BC human rights. It is ilegal to do so. This link might help you out http://www.bchrcoalition.org/files/lawoverview.html they can also give you pointers as to how to proceed, also your local landlord and tenant board can help as well

CYA ZAB, you or a friend take photos of that place and have several people write letters stating that the apartment is not damaged in any way. Take the photos and letters to landlord and tenant along with the eviction notice and make him defend it against the photos, also raise the issue that you suspect it is a smoke screen to get you out because of your gender status.

Guest CharliTo

yeah. if it is totally illegal...take pictures. lots of them. even videos showing how everything is in pristine condition. it'll help you... either way, get more people involved in it. That way you can have more people against one bigot.

Guest sarah f

Zabrak, I am sorry you are having to go through this. This just shows how little some people are out there. They just don't understand that this is not a choice to live this way. I hope you can find a new place soon and maybe even a new roomate that will help you out. I would take plenty of pictures of the apartment and date them. That way you have something to fight your landlord with if he decides to keep your deposit. You might even send him some copies of the pictures to let him know you have them and you expect your deposit back. Good Luck

Love,

Sarah F