• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

It's Deductable According To The Irs

Guest Joanna Phipps

Guest Joanna Phipps

This came of a transgender list I am on I thought it might be of interest to US residents

----- Original Message -----

Subject: Community Conference call with Attorneys from SRS IRS Tax Case

Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 2:21:47

U.S. Tax Court Rules in Favor of SRS Deduction Join Conference Call With Attorneys From the Case

February 2, 2010

The U.S. Tax Court today issued a long-awaited decision in O'Donnabhain v. Commissioner of Internal Revenue, ruling that medical treatment for gender identity disorder (GID) qualifies as medical care under the Internal Revenue Code, and is therefore deductible.

First of all, NCTE applauds and thanks

Rhiannon O'Donnabhain for her bravery and perseverance and to the Gay and Lesbian Advocates and Defenders (GLAD) for their smart and amazing work on this case.

Secondly, we are supporting GLAD in a community conference call GLAD is hosting tomorrow (Wednesday) February 3 at 6PM EST / 3PM PST. Attorneys who worked on the case will be on the call explain the case and its ramifications for transgender people.

If you are interested in hearing more about the case from the actual attorneys who worked on it, please join us for the call.

Toll Free Dial-In Number: 1-800-704-9804 Participant Code(s): 61898641#

Wednesday February 3

6:00 PM Eastern Time Zone 5:00 PM Central Time Zone 4:00 PM Mountain Time Zone 3:00 PM Pacific Time Zone

Please visit GLAD's

website for more information about the case:

www.glad.org

Thanks, Mara

About NCTE The National Center for Transgender Equality is a national social justice organization devoted to ending discrimination and violence against transgender people through education and advocacy on national issues of importance to transgender people. By empowering transgender people and our allies to educate and influence policymakers and others, NCTE facilitates a strong and clear voice for

transgender equality in our nation's capital and around the country. The National Center for Transgender Equality is a 501©3 organization.

Forward email

Guest praisedbeherhooves

This news was already posted but it still makes me happy to read it. ^.^ I am so glad that our country is slowly taking steps in the direction of tolerance.

Guest Donna Jean

Yes....saw that posted earlier.....

But, good news bears repeting!

Maybe it's just because we're here on this site or maybe things are coming around our way bit by bit!

I certainly hope so!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest nymphblossom

Donna Jean wrote:

Maybe it's just because we're here on this site or maybe things are coming around our way bit by bit!

I think the latter, Donna Jean, and I am actually quite surprised with as small a group as we transsexuals are. Given the momentum to remove us from the LGBT community, the why of it has been playing on my mind quite a bit lately. First a huge Federal discrimination settlement, then establishing harassment by gender as a hate crime, the Presidential transsexual appointment, OPM's inclusion of gender as protected by their discrimination rules and now deductible SRS. That's a monumental progress in transsexual rights in less than a year. I have been wrangling my brain over this and all I have been able to come up with is we have some very powerful stealth sisters pulling strings in high places.

Blossom

And don't overlook the possibility of stealth men as well!

No one's seen Evan recently - Hmmmm?

It is a major step forward and there have been many in the past year and a half that I have been here.

There is a movement being headed up by members of the mainstream of society trying to establish basic human rights for everyone, everywhere regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, gender or anything else - just simply put everyone deserves the same rights, it is possible that this group has had a hand in the advances.

What ever is causing these changes it is not only good for us but for everyone.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

Even more localized is Ohio House Bill 176....

It was passed by the Ohio Senate and has just one more thing to go through, I think...I have to look that up...

But, I hope that it passes soon......I'll be coming out at work this year and the sooner, the better!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Even more localized is Ohio House Bill 176....

It was passed by the Ohio Senate and has just one more thing to go through, I think...I have to look that up...

But, I hope that it passes soon......I'll be coming out at work this year and the sooner, the better!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Actually I am amazed that you aren't out already - who is your boss, Mister Magoo?

Seriously once the federal government does something most states follow suit pretty quickly.

Love ya,

Sally

This sounds pretty awesome - but can someone like, explain to me exactly how this works? Like, how do you get a tax refund on your surgery (yes I really am clueless), what surgeries does it cover, how much of a refund do you get, etc.?

Guest Charlene_Leona

This is really great news for us, it sounds like our gender issue's are truly being considered medical conditions. Maybe because of the AMA's resolution 122 and WPATH's statement of medical necessity is going along way towards us finally being respected for what we truly are, People with a medical condition and not sexual deviant's.

ETH

I would think this would cover any medical expense related to transitioning. If I were you folks that have been paying for this out of your pocket I would try to get tax write offs on everything that you've paid for out of your pockets for as many years back as the government allows.

Take Care

Charlene Leona