• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

"court Case" Booked

Guest Zabrak

On the 12th of this month I'll be taking a conference call with a appointed arbitrator for my case againts the landlord. We(my family and friends) know his motives are because I'm transgendered but I don't have money to sue him for that - I do have rights, though, so the tenants act for B.C can help me to keep my place or force my landlord to pay for me to move if the arbitrator finds he is unjustly trying to evict me. They'll listen to my case and the landlords case then make a choice. I hate having to do it but we have everything written down, witnesses and pictures. He has...nothing but lies againts me but he IS the landlord, a full grown man, lieing his face off like a little kid throwing a fit. I am crossing my fingers that the arbitrator will notice hes a lier and things will go my way. However, people like him do get away with things so theres always a chance that I'll fail and be kicked out for doing nothing wrong....

Wish me good luck...I'll post the results when I get them...good or bad.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sally

• MaryEllen

Guest i is Sam :-)

You don't have long obviously, but assuming you don't wanna live their with him being a git to you if the court stops hom from evicting you, have you thought about maybe trying to apply for a restraining order or something, I'm just tyring to think what will make them decide that you cannot live there and he must pay for you to move elsewhere.

Guest Natalie92

Good luck! And remember, try to look your best. As shallow as it seems, the way you present yourself can make all the difference in legal hearings (trials, arbitration, etc). Also, remember to remain civil. This is a CIVIL matter you and your landlord are fighting over, not a WHINE AND SHOUT LIKE A 9 YR OLD matter.

Natalie

Guest i is Sam :-)

Well since he said it was a conference call, looking smart probably won't have much impact :lol:

Don't be afraid to throw around the word "hate crime"

Guest Katrina Reann

Stay composed, be respectful to the court system by waiting to have your say no mtter what lies he says. He probably won't be able to do the same when it is your turn to speak. Stand your ground, good luck, and know we are praying...Huggsss...Katrina

Well since he said it was a conference call, looking smart probably won't have much impact :lol:

Actually, looking smart might not be a bad idea. It's kind of like how you can hear someone smile over the phone -- if you're in fancier clothes than normal, it might put you in a good, serious, take-me-seriously kind of mode, and if you feel that way, it'll come across over the phone.

Good luck, Kyle. This whole situation sounds awful.

Don't be afraid to throw around the word "hate crime"

Actually, this is a good idea. Just a few months ago federal legislation was passed to recognize gender identity as a legitimate target of a hate crime, and thats a really bad offense to have against you.

Basically what everyone else said, though. Stay cool and the person doing the conference call will be inclined to favor you. It'll only be a plus if your landlord can't remain collected :P

Guest ~Brenda~

Kyle,

This is really good news!!! The arbitrator would not even get involved if there was no case here.

I wish you luck, and I hope that true justice prevails.

Do not get emotional during the proceedings. Present the facts and let the facts speak for themselves.

Your friend

Always

Brenda

Wow, I have not been on Laura's for a while---I hope everything goes well for you! this is your home---NO ONE should be able to force you from your home, grrrrr!!!!

Good Luck, Son,

I want you to have this judgment go in your favor so that you can make plans about what to do and when to move, not just have it thrust upon you.

You will do just fine because you are the adult in this case and therefore will be more believable to the arbitrator.

I am looking forward to hearing good news from you soon.

Love ya, Always,

Mom

Guest NatalieRene
On the 12th of this month I'll be taking a conference call with a appointed arbitrator for my case againts the landlord. We(my family and friends) know his motives are because I'm transgendered but I don't have money to sue him for that - I do have rights, though, so the tenants act for B.C can help me to keep my place or force my landlord to pay for me to move if the arbitrator finds he is unjustly trying to evict me. They'll listen to my case and the landlords case then make a choice. I hate having to do it but we have everything written down, witnesses and pictures. He has...nothing but lies againts me but he IS the landlord, a full grown man, lieing his face off like a little kid throwing a fit. I am crossing my fingers that the arbitrator will notice hes a lier and things will go my way. However, people like him do get away with things so theres always a chance that I'll fail and be kicked out for doing nothing wrong....

Wish me good luck...I'll post the results when I get them...good or bad.

Good luck.

I wouldn't worry too much. These jerks get their way often because no one stands up to them. As long as you have clear and admissible evidence to back up your side of the story and he has nothing but his false testimony he is up the creek. Once you get this judgement the door is wide open for a laundry list of charges against him, multiple counts of slander, filing false police reports, breech of contract, (if its protected in Canada) Sexual Identity discrimination. Thats just what I can think of off the top of my head. in the United States filing false police reports is a felony and it's something that has to be done in the eviction process. Once you've won this case I'd head right over to the police station and file a police report against him and press charges. You won't have to pay a penny to send him to the slammer.

• 2 weeks later...

Ha anyone heard anything from Zabrak?

I hope things are going well in this matter - I hate even the thought of moving.

Love ya,

Sally

• Root Admin

I haven't seen anything of him either. It's been 4 days since he signed in at Gender Friendly. I've got a bad feeling that this thing with his landlord isn't going too well.

ME

Sorry, its for the 12th of next month. However, I'm still having trouble with my landlord. I NEED a copy of my lease and now...but he said "sorry, the owner has them and he most likely wont give you a copy because we are going into dispute." I know thats not allowed so we are calling for legel help but I'm not sure how quickly they can do anything.

After all, doesn't he write his momma?

Sadly no!

But he is having enough troubles without my nagging him - I see that he is alright and that was my biggest concern - after all if worse came to worse he could always move to Texas and live with his mother.

Sorry about the hassles, son I wish I could help.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest NatalieRene
Sorry, its for the 12th of next month. However, I'm still having trouble with my landlord. I NEED a copy of my lease and now...but he said "sorry, the owner has them and he most likely wont give you a copy because we are going into dispute." I know thats not allowed so we are calling for legel help but I'm not sure how quickly they can do anything.

Any and all documents being used in a court case have to be furnished to the other party involved in the case at their request. It is illegal for the land lord to withhold the document even if he previously gave you one. File a motion in the court for a copy of the lease if you have to and if the land lord refuses move to have the case dismissed.

Guest Jean Davis
Any and all documents being used in a court case have to be furnished to the other party involved in the case at their request. It is illegal for the land lord to withhold the document even if he previously gave you one. File a motion in the court for a copy of the lease if you have to and if the land lord refuses move to have the case dismissed.

Natalie honey

I'm pretty sure that Zabrak is the plaintiff here, having the case dismissed would not work to his favor. ;)

Also Zabrak, do you have one of those hand held digital recorders. If you do perhaps you could start recording any conversation that is relative to your case and if you have a telephone message system use it to record your phone conversations. I'm not sure if you can use them but it's better to have them and not be able to use them than be able to use them and not have them. ;):D

LUV

Jean

Well I found my old lease, which is good and it saves me. Now I got that and the landlord looking bad. I called and asked if it was legel for him to withhold it and it isn't legel, so he just made himself look even worse.

I can't record him on the phone and use it. I already know that.

Guest ~Brenda~

Kyle.....

I just want to say that I love you, and I do hope all of this shenanigans with your new landlord calms down soon. I have missed you so.....

KISS

Brenda

Guest NatalieRene
Well I found my old lease, which is good and it saves me. Now I got that and the landlord looking bad. I called and asked if it was legel for him to withhold it and it isn't legel, so he just made himself look even worse.

I can't record him on the phone and use it. I already know that.

Thats good news.

Actually if something like a cell phone on voice mail happens to "accidentally" record a conversation in the background in a public space it is admissible in court if it is submitted regardless of if both parties knew the conversation was being recorded. Try talking to him in person outside the house while your calling your home phone and the answering machine is recording it.

If you're not comfortable with that get stuff in writing from him. any email or letter from him is admissible and he doesn't have to give you permission to use it against him.