• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Don't Know What To Do.

Guest Ryles_D

Guest Ryles_D

For awhile now, I haven't been very comfortable with any kind of touch. Living with my partner makes this difficult, especially since my partner doesn't get two things:

1. I suck at expressing myself. I won't try to hide it. English is not a language I've mastery of, even if it is my first and only language. Also, when something is a big deal, I go into major fight or flight mode and need to get out of there immediately. That happens here, when I try to explain it I end up having a panic attack.

2. I'M NOT COMFORTABLE BEING TOUCHED RIGHT NOW.

It isn't personal to him. My dad hugged me once this month and I had the exact same "Oh my goodness GTFO" reaction I've tried to make this clear for well over a month now. I made the mistake of trying to make it easier for him by trying to give him and put up with as much affection as possible. Once when he was particularly upset, I let him hug me for a few minutes because I knew he needed it. This was a bad idea, as afterwards rather than accepting it and letting me get away to recover- he chose then to start demanding to know why I was so uncomfortable with being touched. The end result? He got pissy that I was upset, I spent the better part of a day trying to recover.

And it keeps getting worse- he doesn't seem to get that when he hugs or kisses me without asking or warning, it makes me extremely uncomfortable. The more he does it, the less comfortable I am.

Awhile earlier he kissed me on the cheek, and when I wiped it off he said "I'll have to get used to that" (me wiping it off, not 'I need to remember to ask first because you're uncomfortable') and then followed it up with "No- you have to get used to it or I'll start licking you instead" (something I loathe). I'm sure it was joking, but the meaning of the words is still there: I'm willing to ignore your obvious discomfort and expect you to accept what I want. Even if these things are said in jest- how am I supposed to be getting more comfortable?

Today he said he wanted to talk- I agreed. He then asked me to sit right next to him- I didn't want to, so I asked why we couldn't talk there, I was only a few feet away and was pretty comfortable where I was. He refused to talk. After a while we ended up talking and after five minutes of "I sometimes dont' say things because I don't want you to get upset", which, by the way, only bothers me and makes it seem like I'm wrong to get upset ended up saying something along the lines of "I don't like how you're uncomfortable sharing a blanket with me".

Okay, so, that's not the worst thing in the world. But I'm guessing what he intended to ask was "I know you're uncomfortable sharing a blanket with me. I don't like this, because

I like sharing a blanket with you and don't like it when you're unhappy. Is there a reason why or anything we can do to ease that?". I'm sure people don't see the problem, it's not that much of a problem, I can appreciate that this is long winded, but the biggest thing is that it wasn't about how I feel or my situation- it was about how he felt about it.

While writing this, he got back home. He immediately walked over and went to hug me, and got offended when I pushed him off. He was annoyed that I was angry and said "I left you alone on purpose so you wouldn't be angry". I never said that being left alone would give me time to calm down, although I cna see the logic, and I wasn't consulted about what actions would be taken to help me feel better.

I'm trying to be calm abuot this and objective, but it's difficult. We get along when there is no breaking my personal boundaries. I enjoy talking to him, I enjoy spending time with him. I do not like my personal needs being treated as less important than someone else's.

Maybe I'm ignoring his needs, but I tried ignoring my own needs to make this easier for him and that made it worse. So here I am in a bit of a bind. I don't know how to make my feelings clear. You can say "why don't you just tell them?" all you want, but when I try to explain it I end up having a panic attack, so that's right out. My way of communicating is primarily through blog posts- that's just how I'm most comfortable. Why? I don't know. But then he takes it as "why can't you tell me when you can tell any number of strangers?" so there's a major language barrier there. I can't communicate the way he wants me to, verbally. He won't listen when I communicate the way that's most natural to me, online.

I don't know what to do.

Guest Alex Blitzen

this situation does sound difficult for you. sometimes when someone is trying to help us, they are really just making things worse. I know, as my mother is always trying to "help" me. Panic attacks can be a difficult thing to overcome. Sometimes when I have them I literally think I am going to die. Have you tried perhaps writing a letter to your partner and giving it to them, an email maybe? That way you can get your feelings across without being too close. I don't know if they would listen or not, but I'd say it's worth a try.

• Admin

Ryles, I like Alex's idea. A letter is more personal than an e-mail or blog entry, but it still allows you time to compose it carefully and say

what you want. Its worth a try. Be sure and sign it if you type and print it, so it has at least some personal feeling to it.

If it doesn't work, come back here and let us know and we'll try to find something else that works.

Carolyn Marie

Ryles,

When you write that letter start off with the why you are writing rather than just talking - explain about the panic attacks and tell him that you are sorry about them but they are very real and cripple you when you try to talk about important issues.

Good luck and I hope that he will listen.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Elizabeth K

Wikipedia - its full of errors - but anyway - here is a start:

The fear of being touched (also known as aphephobia, haphephobia, haphophobia, ... is a rare specific phobia that involves the fear of touching or of being touched. ... or predominantly, to being touched by people of the opposite sex.

I have a good friend - FTM - who has this. Its a real thing. I give him hell (he knows I am kidding) when he walks into the glbt meeting - Aze - let me give you a BIG OLE HUG! He shudders! I am a terrrrrrible friend!

So it is nothing to worry about really - you are what you are. If you need to get resolution, this condition, like gender dysphoria - can be discussed with a therapist. I suppose they could be related - but I suspect they are separate conditions.

Hope this helps.

Lizzy

Guest N. Jane

In the vast majority of cases, there will be an underlying reason WHY a person does not like being touched, why they have "a large personal space" and it would be very beneficial to investigate this (even with professional help) because it could become a life-long issue. Finding out what is behind it could give you the tools to deal with it and to help others deal with it.

At age 15 I was attacked and I thought I "got over it" but 15 years later if my husband touched me unexpectedly (or worse yet grabbed me by surprise) I'd freak. It took a long time to work though that subconscious fear response.

Guest Ryles_D
The fear of being touched (also known as aphephobia, haphephobia, haphophobia, ... is a rare specific phobia that involves the fear of touching or of being touched. ... or predominantly, to being touched by people of the opposite sex.

That might be it, but it's a more recent thing (past few months) not a life-long one, and I don't know what brought it on.

I'm also not seeing a therapist right now. I saw one to get my letter, but I really cn't afford to see one regularly, and I've yet to find one who actually helps me. Most so far have treated me like a case study. <_<

In the vast majority of cases, there will be an underlying reason WHY a person does not like being touched, why they have "a large personal space" and it would be very beneficial to investigate this (even with professional help) because it could become a life-long issue. Finding out what is behind it could give you the tools to deal with it and to help others deal with it.

I would like to find this out, but I don't really have the tools right now, so I'm pretty much stuck just dealing with it.

Well Ryles, I do hope that someday you can work it out. I spent alot of my youth untouchable and it finally resolved. It was a painful time, and happily it's over. I wish you well.

I'll save the hugs for someday when you're ready.

Love, Kat

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 170 Guests (See full list)

• Abigail Genevieve
    • MAN8791
    • Andrea D
    • Cynthia Slowan
    • Birdie
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

gender_equality_nccu
    Newest Member
    gender_equality_nccu

1. Alexa Amorosa
      Alexa Amorosa
      (48 years old)
    2. Bluestem
      Bluestem
      (39 years old)
    3. CharlotteSW
      CharlotteSW
      (26 years old)
    4. Daisy91
      Daisy91
    5. jriddle1990
      jriddle1990
      (30 years old)
    • missyjo
      started Spiro very recently..told to expect it like Lasix  you'll pee, a lot. have some other complications so we're taking this cautiously . heard something about slightly higher risk for OA too. hugs to all. 
    • MAN8791
      Mine was Hatshepsut, an Egyptian pharaoh who had to carry herself as a male in order to rule. I was completely facinated by her as a student.
    • Willow
      Well it was a good day at work I got everything done I needed to do. My audits came out right and everything.  I had to fix the printer on one pump. It wouldn’t cut the paper and needed two parts replaced.  The District Manager left us Thank you bags,  Murphy Bucks and candy.  We can use Murphy bucks to buy things in the store, or pay for gas.  I guess next week the Area Manager will be around to check on things.  He would be the next layer higher.  Well my eyelids are starting to get heavy, time for a nap.thats the only thing about opening the store it definitely causes me to need a nap.    
    • Vidanjali
      Interesting point. I was raised Catholic and was intensely intrigued by the lives of saints. Similar to your obsession with Mulan, I was particularly drawn to Joan of Arc, a 15th century saint who took on the guise of a man to lead the French army to victory over the English in the Hundred Years' War. Later, she was sold out by the Burgundians to the English who brought multiple charges against her as a heretic, including claiming she could communicate directly with God (which undermined the church's authority), and wearing men's clothes. At one point, while imprisoned, she was made to dress in women's clothes, which she did, but was later found again in men's attire which she said she preferred. She was eventually burnt at the stake at age 19. Rather gruesome tale, but not atypical of the stories of Catholic martyrs. 
    • Abigail Genevieve
      I just read something a FB friend posted about guilt.  I am changing it somewhat for here.   There are things you should not feel guilty about because they are not wrong.  Being transgender is one. People like to send us on guilt-trips about it, intentionally or unintentionally.   There are things you have actual guilt about whether you feel guilty or not.  If you murder someone, you may not feel any guilt.   The FEELING of guilt can be widely separated from objective guilt. All of us need to train ourselves to not feel guilty about things we are not guilty of,, and to feel guilty about the things we are guilty of.  It is not easy.
    • Abigail Genevieve
      Jeans, t-shirt, flip-flops.
    • Vidanjali
      Good news. That just means you're normal!   Understand that thoughts leading to thoughtlessness is a VERY high ideal. Those who aspire to that may spend their entire life working on it and only ever glimpse momentary stillness. In fact, I'm reminded of a story which was relayed to me recently about a yogic master who was interviewed and asked - In deep meditation, how long can you sustain a still mind before another thought creeps in? You may expect the master to reply hours or perhaps even days. His answer - 7 seconds. The thing is, as long as you're operating with a human brain, thoughts will go on. In Bhagavad Gita chapter 6, verse 34, Arjuna (who represents every individual) complains to Lord Krishna (who represents the Higher Self), "The mind is very restless, turbulent, strong and obstinate, O Krishna. It appears to me that it is more difficult to control than the wind." Such is the nature of mind. The difference, though, is in learning gradually to not identify with thought, but rather to become the dispassionate witness of thoughts, like clouds passing in the sky, or often more poignant a simile, like high speed trains rushing by. 
    • Jamey-Heather
      It's very warm here in the Willamette Valley after a couple of weeks of rain. So I thought I'd get springy 🥰🥰🥰
    • Cynthia Slowan
      Hi Ivy!  Thanks so much! 💗Cynthia                      
    • RaineOnYourParade
      As a guy with a mom constantly throwing around "she/her", I feel you.   I think trans people in general hold ourselves to an impossible standard to be more girly or manly. There are some people who look or act a lot like the opposite gender, even if they're completely comfortable in their AGAB. That thought helps comfort me sometimes. If being a man was a set of boxes to check off (beyond the obvious chromosome things), I'm sure there'd be plenty of cis guys that would suddenly find themselves no longer being guys. It can be hard when it feels like evidence is stacked against you, but you don't have to be a certain way to turn into a guy. Some people will make it sound that way, but you're already a guy, regardless of how you look or act. After all, men don't look or act one way.   Moving on from that, your mom'll probably (unfortunately) be an issue until you're able to put some distance between yourself and her. Finding a good group of people that support you and your identity can help some -- even if you can't stop her from misgendering you, the more people that you find that respect you can sometimes make it easier to drown out that voice.   I wish you the best of luck <3
    • RaineOnYourParade
      Dang, this post started a loooooong time ago :o   I'm not the most masculine guy, and I would be way too terrified to talk about any desire to be a boy tbh. Everyone said I was girl, I was told I had girl parts, all that, so I figured there was no other option, even if I wanted to be a boy. So, I basically masked the few remaining "signs" I would have after taking away some stereotypical guy things. I was a bit of a tomboy, but I didn't mind wearing fem clothing, and I was seen as just that -- a bit of a boyish girl.   Though, one internalized sign I did have and never talked about was my obsession with Mulan. A girl who got to go and be a guy. She got to hang out with the guys, eat and sleep with the guys, act like a guy, learn the same things the guys in the movie did. I thought every girl would be jealous of that... apparently not, lol 
    • RaineOnYourParade
      It depends what you consider "rich". "Rich" as in there's plenty going on in there? Yeah, sure. Doesn't mean it's high quality junk. There's a lot of complicated stuff I'm still working on sorting out, so even if I've got a lot in my inner life, it's such a mess that it looks more like a hoarder's den than the nice, temple-like space a "rich inner life" makes me think of.     Then I'm definitely doing something wrong with thinking haha 😅 My brain is physically incapable of not thinking about something. I can focus on one thing if I try really hard or if it's a specific interest of mine, but I have to keep thinking on it, otherwise my brain just starts jumping around. If I leave my brain alone, it sometimes jumps to some stuff that kinda scares me, so I don't think my thoughts will ever go to silence     Great minds think alike, I suppose! :D
    • Ivy
      I will add, Sometimes it's just a look of recognition from a woman, say like in a coffeeshop, store, etc. that helps me feel like I do belong.  I don't get that recognition from men anymore - and don't miss it.
    • Ivy
      I wanted to say this too. One thing that is hard for trans women is not having had the girl's socialization growing up.  A lot of the time we just don't know how to act, and that shows. For myself, sometimes I hold back maybe more than I should out of fear of seeming "creepy." Acceptance varies.  Some women are quite accepting, others less so.  I usually wait to be invited to participate.  I don't want to push myself on anybody.   These days I don't have much interaction with men anyway.  Perhaps my seeing men as "other" gets picked up on by women.  I don't know.  I seem to fall back on "it's complicated."   I think when you understand what women go through in this patriarchal society it helps to understand better.  As trans women, we do get some of this as well, but most of us didn't have to grow up with it. Over time, and even pre-transition, I've developed a very feminist view of our society.  (Also raising 6 daughters helped a bit.)  But that is a whole other subject.
    • Vidanjali
      I spend time reflecting on this too. I do so in terms of transcending mind. I study Vedanta, mystical yoga philosophy, under guru's guidance. The mind-body complex is spoken of where "mind" is further parsed as ego, mind, intellect, unconscious all interacting with each other. It is said that one's real Self is soul and from a transcendent point of view, soul is not individualized, but One. It is through the illusion of ignorance we experience a world of multiplicity. Soul reflected through conditioned mind projects our seemingly subjective experience. When our unconscious is steeped in negative impressions, the ego is inflated. That inflated ego influences intellect which is the faculty of discernment, reasoning, and will, to direct the mind to project the negativity it believes is true. Negative experience of the world creates further negative impressions in the unconscious and thus a vicious cycle occurs. But likewise we are able to exert self-effort to control the mind, break that cycle and plant seeds of positivity in the unconscious by doing good practices in many ways.    It is said that mind is the cause of bondage and release. My guru once said if your thinking lead to more and more thinking, then there is something wrong with your thinking. But if your thoughts lead to thoughtlessness, then you are on the right track. That is, one can do many things with the mind - make the mind one-pointed, make the mind distracted, or make the mind so still that it negates itself. That is a taste of bliss.   So, do I have a rich inner life? I would say I do. But that was not a given; I aspire for it. It requires persistent effort and patience. And the term "rich" is not literal. Lord Jesus said, blessed are the poor in spirit for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. By this, "poor" is also not meant literally. Poor in spirit is the state of cessation of ego and attachment - there is no "me" or "mine". In that state the kingdom which is Absolute Bliss is attained.
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.