• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Trying On Clothing At Department Stores

Guest Steph S.

Guest Steph S.

Has anyone tried on or have been tempted to try on different articles of clothing at department stores? If so are there any rules around it and what can and cannot be tried on or does it depend on the store? My guess is that taking women's clothing to the men's changing room would be a total no-no.

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Steph,

If you have a carry letter then you really do not have a problem with trying on clothes in the womens department.

What I do is that I know my size already so I simply pick up the dress/slacks/blouse etc. goto the cashier and buy them. No issue, no hassel.

Sometimes a pice of clothing does not fit as I would like, but these days, that rarely happens for me.

Hope this helps

Brenda

• Admin

Steph, I'm assuming you are making the purchase while in male mode. I think you would get far less hassle taking women's clothes to the men's changing room

than walking into the women's dressing room dressed as a male. That will get you noticed.

I've only used the women's changing room once so far, dressed en femme, and had no problems at all. But while en femme, I would not attempt to take clothes

to the men's rooms.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kaitlyn88

I haven't tried on clothes yet, but my ex says she is taking me shopping in a couple of weeks. I'm pretty nervous about it but she thinks I will have no problems if i go as a girl. So I guess we'll see what happens. I never got a carry letter or anything from my therapist and haven't got my name changed yet so I will have to rely on passing. Hopefully a year of hormones and getting rid of the facial hair won't let me down. :)

Guest sarah f

Letter or not, it you want to try something on just go into the changing room. All they can do is tell you that you are not allowed in there. Than just ask them if you can take them to the mens changing room or do they want to lose the possible sale. I think they wouldn't say anything if you went in to try on the clothes anyway. Good Luck in the future.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest Donna Jean

Lizzy and I were at Cato's this fall (presenting female) and tried on tons of stuff in the fitting rooms...of course there are no "Male" rooms in that store!

I'd say that taking female items into the mens room would cause more reaction than just presenting female and doing it!

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Emily H

If you can pass female, go as a female and go into the female changing rooms.

If you shop as a male, and you are feeling lucky, go ahead and try going to the mens room. Id only do it in stores that don't check you before going to the changing rooms.

~Emily

• 11 months later...
Guest Elizabeth K

An apparent 'male' in the woman's changing room can be disrupting to other women shoppers. THAT is what the clerks worry about. Go early or on week days when you would not run into others using the changing rooms.

Also - a guy and a girl shopping together? Hardly anyone else in the rooms? Clerks won't care.

Shopping alone - ATTITUDE - use common sense - if you won't be disruptive because no one is around - just do it.

I was never refused in the year I spent as androgynous. I was too afraid when I thought of myself as a crossdresser, but now wish I had been bolder. Most of the clerks who catch on, are really thinking how brave you are and are sympathetic to your plight.

I hope this helps.

Lizzy

This holiday season I tried on clothes for the first time. I used to grab and buy but decided in the Season, that clerks were to busy or tired to care or judge. The reality is that the problem was my being overly sensitive to what someone MAY think, rather than it violating a rule. At stores like Kohls, Target, Sears etc, no one will make you keep the merchandise in the department(for fear of losing a commission). I took blouses and tops to the mens section and tried them on. I was glad I did since3/5 weren't a good look. I just fold them over to carry in. No hassle.

Lastly, I has come to realize almost all my limitations in such matters are self imposed. As the fear of what total strangers think of me disappears, such activity becomes much easier. simply fold the garment several times and carry to the mens dressing room. No hassle.

Now..... if I could only adopt that attitude for the makeup counter!

Michelle

Guest kimberly c

Has anyone tried on or have been tempted to try on different articles of clothing at department stores? If so are there any rules around it and what can and cannot be tried on or does it depend on the store? My guess is that taking women's clothing to the men's changing room would be a total no-no.

Hi Steph, If in male mode just take your items to the mens dressing room. I have taken tops jeans and even bras to the male dressing room. No one

really cares. I have done this at Kohl`s and JC PENNY. Good luck.

Love Kim

Guest Maria_B

I've gone presenting en femme. No Hrt, no fakies, just fat-chested (Ha, see what I did there?) Be presenting fem, acting natural and going in casually.

I've bought an entire wardrobe (well, half a wardrobe and the other half was donated by my Mum ;P)

Lotsa women have no bewbies for many reasons (mastectomy, flat chested, an accident, stunted development) and lots have small amounts of facial hair ( a santa beard will get you read!) So just present female, walk in and do your stuff!

Love, Maria :wub:

I have tried on all items of women's clothing in department stores and was only rejected once of and that was when I first started buy my wardrobe, and that was some 10 years ago.

Patricia :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Guest Melanie N

I've taken nearly all my items to the men's changing room and had no problems at all. I even had a helper in Old Navy actually get me a smaller size skirt...he didn't bat an eye. I would like to be able to go into some stores that are women's clothing only such as Lane Bryant or J Jill, but Ive settled for catalouge shopping/ebay for now. If I get up the courage, I might go into the store, explain what I was doing and ask for help...you never know, they may help out. I always shop in male mode as I dont really pass.

Guest Elizabeth K

I've gone presenting en femme. No Hrt, no fakies, just fat-chested (Ha, see what I did there?) Be presenting fem, acting natural and going in casually.

I've bought an entire wardrobe (well, half a wardrobe and the other half was donated by my Mum ;P)

Lotsa women have no bewbies for many reasons (mastectomy, flat chested, an accident, stunted development) and lots have small amounts of facial hair ( a santa beard will get you read!) So just present female, walk in and do your stuff!

Love, Maria :wub:

EXACTLY

Attitude, that's all it takes.

Lizzy

• 6 months later...

May be time to bring this up from page 3?

As I have gotten a better understanding of my sizes and what works for me I buy a fair amount from Penny's clearance on-line...just look for the bargains 70+% off. Btw. they have a tall section... I actually had to return pants purchased as ultra tall because they were too long!

I posted several months ago about taking stuff to the men's section to try on and I still find it very effective. There have been many things I have tried on and been disappointed that it didn't look the way I thought it would. But at least I didn't buy and have to return it or donate to Goodwill since I was too embarassed to return it, lol!

Michelle

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Rowan19

I just guess, pay and scurry away. I've never even CD'd in public b4, buying clothes for my "fashion-challenged cousin" is risky enough for now. It took me about half an hour to even get game enough to go to the mens section the first time I did it. One clerk in particular was very helpful, I think he could tell lol.

Guest Daniel Dee

I was nervous when I first started going shoping in both modes but have become very confident and now have no hesitation about going trying clothes on when dressed. Have sometimes tried on female attire when in male mode in mens changeing rooms but depends on the store and even been in womens when in men mode but depends on the store. Never had any problems. I think it is all about confidence. I never hesitate about asking for help and all SA are most helpful even male ones. I now talk to anyone when out dressed even with my quite deep voice no one seems to bother which amazes me but again I think its about confidence. Daniel

Guest GabeIsWinning

I know that, in the UK, Asda, BHS, H&M and Marks & Spencer have unisex changing cubicles and do not check anyone before entry.

-G

I was at an uPscale outlet this summer (think it was polo) and brought some swimwear (mens) into dressing room to try on. In these places, there are unisex changing rooms. When I got in and closed the door I almost freaked because someone had left three or four dresses etc in there. I threw one on and it fit! I tried them all on and really enjoyed myself but I couldn't buy any due to who i was with and besides, they were too expensive. All I thought about later was that there was probably a camera somewhere and someone had fun watching but who cares? I wasn't doing anything illegal!

Deena

Guest sonia shadows

An english cross dressing comedian once did a really funny sketch about what happened when he picked his clothes , announced his intentions and dissappeared into a changing cubicle. He said it was like a nuclear bomb going off, junior shop assistants running up and down like crazy etc.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mirandacdgirl

I see clothing all the time i would love to try on but i get all weird feeling even just being in the ladys secion. like everyone is watching me. wish I had the confedence to just pick up things and buy them..I shop moslty online or take my girlfriend who knows I dress.. she doesnt mind and I just pretend its for her.

Guest xjpopfanx

I simply just walked up to the female's dressing room with some girl's clothing and went on in. xD Didn't get any questions or strange looks or anything, but maybe it is because I just look feminine already? ^^;; Who knows? If you look really masculine then I suggest possibly bringing a couple of female items to the male changing rooms but have it hidden amongst some men's clothing, that way they are less likely to notice so you won't have to feel as anxious about it. ^^

• 2 months later...
Guest Mellissawi

I have only tried on cloths a few times. I did go in male mode. It was to the Goodwill (thrift store) there they have unisex fitting rooms. I made no big deal of it and no one gave me a second look. Even the cashiers were very polite and did nkt question any of my purchases. I even had one compliment me on some of the things I had picked out.

Guest thomasina uk

Trying on clothes in the changing room is one thing, is anyone blazae enough to walk out wearing their purchase?

I wish i had the guts for that.

T