• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

So What Does A Trip To Trinidad/dr. Bowers Cost?

Guest BeckyTG

Guest BeckyTG

Hello Sweet Sisters,

I'm an MTF that needs to find out how many paper routes I need to get in order to go to Trinidad, Colorado to see Dr. Bowers. I've looked all over, googled her site, checked the master page here and even searched this forum and I can't seem to put my finger on a number.

What I hope to find out first is: What will it cost to have my SRS done by Dr. Bowers from the time I leave home until I return? I do understand there are other options, but, for me, it's important that I know this number first. This needs to include room while there and aftercare.

I'd prefer to hear this from a woman who's been there fairly recently.

Is it 20 grand or is it 80 grand?

Once that's known, I'm more than open to other ideas and other numbers.

Can't set a goal unless I know what it takes to cross the goal line, you know.... :)

Thank you so much.

Love,

Becky

Guest ~Brenda~

Hi Becky,

Dr. Bowers is the world recognized transgendered surgeon. She is considered the best of the best. Did you know that she is a transwoman herself?

I would recommend that you not worry about SRS at this point in time. I know the tendency to try to plan everything out to the minute and penny, but hon, transitioning does not work that way.

Your therapist, I am sure can explain this better to you than I. Consider transitioning as an evolutionary process where each stage is indeterminate. There is no schedule per se for transitioning.

I would focus more on your emotional readiness for each step over your financial readiness. When you are truely emotionally ready, the finances will follow.

With all that said, I will add that there are many many very good SRS surgeons in addition to Dr. Bowers. There are many factors involved with SRS beyond who is the surgeon.

One step at a time hon. One step at a time :)

Love

Brenda

Guest Chandra

Hello Dearest Becky,

I sense your excitement, it seems you have cranked it up a notch, you go with it girl !

Your baby steps have evolved to the next level, I'm so very happy for you sis.

In the short time I have got to know you, I know you are an over achiever, I am not surprised you are planing your completion.

I am sorry that I do not meet the criteria, you asked for in experience, as you know I am just starting to understand my self better, thanks mainly to you dear sis. I most sincerely appreciate yours and everyones acceptance of me at my beginning phase. I know I am not close to being at most sisters levels here, you gals are way ahead of me, But do not be surprised if I to live my dream, I think my switch is turned on, and it is unstoppable now. The girl in me is destine to dominate my persona.

But did not every one have a starting point at one time, so with that thought, even though I can not help with your specific

questions, I will stand behind you 100% . You are so driven by expressing your true feelings and have so much excitement to achieve you goal. Your feelings are contagious to others. You have infected me sweetest.

I have seen a show about Trinidad, and it seems that is the best place to go.

Even If I might never make it that far, it gives my great joy to experience a dream of mine through Dearest Becky

As I think you know, I wish only the very best for you, and hope you find everything you could have hoped for and more, you most certainly deserve it.

Sweetest dreams baby, I know you will live them someday.

Love and Hugs

Your Friend For ever, Love Chandra

Well, I ran over to her website and you can just look at the Link that IGotThatGoodGood gave you.

DANG!

It went up another 2 grand since last September!

Ouch!

And that doesn't refer to the actual pain during recovery!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest sarah f

Thanks for the link with the pricing IGotThatGoodGood. That just shows how much money you need to start saving if you ever want to have SRS done. I knew it was not cheap but wow by the time I will be ready for it, I can only imagine how much it will be then.

Love,

Sarah F

Guest BeckyTG
Hi Becky,

Dr. Bowers is the world recognized transgendered surgeon. She is considered the best of the best. Did you know that she is a transwoman herself?

I would recommend that you not worry about SRS at this point in time. I know the tendency to try to plan everything out to the minute and penny, but hon, transitioning does not work that way.

Your therapist, I am sure can explain this better to you than I. Consider transitioning as an evolutionary process where each stage is indeterminate. There is no schedule per se for transitioning.

I would focus more on your emotional readiness for each step over your financial readiness. When you are truely emotionally ready, the finances will follow.

With all that said, I will add that there are many many very good SRS surgeons in addition to Dr. Bowers. There are many factors involved with SRS beyond who is the surgeon.

One step at a time hon. One step at a time :)

Love

Brenda

Hi Dear Brenda,

I appreciate your great thoughts.

I'm a business woman, and this is just how I think. It's illogical to me to be on a transition journey and not have some idea what future choices will cost, how long they take and what all the logistics are. This is just called planning to me.

I'm not ready to make a reservation, yet. :D Smart businesses always plan 5 to 10 years out with their business strategies. Frankly, it would be wise for any of us to set a goal to save up the money starting right now. Just because we're saving for it and, in reality, just because we reach the goal of XXX in the bank doesn't mean we'll actually choose surgery when the time comes.

However, when planning has been done, people would then have the free choice to go where they wanted and do it or not.

The way everyone talks around here, you'd think this was real money or something.... :lol: Actually, 22 grand is nothing. Have you ever seen the hospital bill for a simple emergency appendectomy? It can run way more than that. You can buy a nice sedan for 22 grand and people do it every day. This isn't so hard to fathom, actually. Call your credit union and see what the payments are on a 5 year car loan for that amount.

Sell your car, buy a bike and start working on cutting every single expenditure you can. You'll have the money in less than 5 years....

I am taking it slow and I am enjoying this trip a great deal. I honestly don't know if surgery is really right for me or not. But I do know that it will sure be easier to do it, if I decide to do it, if I've planned for the expense and have the money in the bank. At that point, it will be my choice and mine alone to do it or not do it. I'll not have any regrets later that I want it done and it'll take X years to get it.

I've learned that I can literally have anything I want, anything at all, if I only can first visualize it and then believe that I can do it. It's that simple, really.

Girlfriend, this is something I've sure visualized plenty over the years..... :lol:

Warm hugs to you, Brenda and thank you for all the help you give to others. You truly have a giving spirit and I thank you for it.

Becky

Guest Donna Jean

Becky.....

I really don't find it unreasonable to want to know the costs very early on...I know that the surgery may be a long way off..

But, many peoploe my have to set up a budget to save for a few years and need to have a general idea of what they need to do.

Do I need to take a second job? Do I save $100 a month? Do I start eating nothing but saltines?

The future seems far away, but it gets sooner than we think...

It's better to be prepared!

Huggs

Donna Jean

But you don't have to pay airfare to Thailand - then again the motel rooms in Trinidad are a bit higher and the exchange rate is 1 US Dollar to 1 US Dollar - no help there either - DANG!

That is why for those of us in the middle of the US might start taking a look towards PA - and see how Dr. McGinn is doing - $17,500 and still no long flights!

http://drchristinemcginn.com/

She is also transsexual and was a flight surgeon for NASA - not listed by the AMA who still say that Marci is the only Transsexual performing the surgery because they do not acknowledge Osteopaths as being Doctors - a little bit silly but politics - you know how that works.

Still hoping for Trinidad, Co but New Hope, PA is another stateside alternative.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Joanna Phipps

Its going to be Montreal and Dr. Brassard for me, the BC Govt is going to be paying for it and thats who they use. It will be a 7 hour flight but its worth it

Guest IGotThatGoodGood
Thank you, you sweet girl. I appreciate the quick response. You do a nice job of supporting others here.

A big hug,

Becky

Your welcome :D good luck with planning your surgery..

Guest Elizabeth K

Ummmm

Researching that right now. there is a prejudice FOR using the USA sites - especially Dr. Bower's services. I am working with my wife on that argument right now. And certainly if there are complications - the drive home from Colorado will be easier than spending a few months in a foreign country. Plus - we need a temporary passport to go to Thailand.

I found the Thailand clinics are less expensive - including air fare and extended stay. The prefered procedure has to be decided by the individual, but Thailand received high marks from my post op friends. Thailand does NOT require emmm.... penal electrolysis.... beforehand. BUT my friends say the flight home is a b***h

I hesitate to put actual $$$ here as it can change - but the difference was about 5 grand less in Thailand - including adding 1 K contingency.

And there are new surgery clinics in New England - a spin-off, I think, of the Trinidad clinic.

So do your research!

Lizzy

Guest AshleyRF
But you don't have to pay airfare to Thailand - then again the motel rooms in Trinidad are a bit higher and the exchange rate is 1 US Dollar to 1 US Dollar - no help there either - DANG!

That is why for those of us in the middle of the US might start taking a look towards PA - and see how Dr. McGinn is doing - $17,500 and still no long flights!

http://drchristinemcginn.com/

She is also transsexual and was a flight surgeon for NASA - not listed by the AMA who still say that Marci is the only Transsexual performing the surgery because they do not acknowledge Osteopaths as being Doctors - a little bit silly but politics - you know how that works.

Still hoping for Trinidad, Co but New Hope, PA is another stateside alternative.

Love ya,

Sally

She is also opening a clinic in Key West, Fl for SRS. That is where I was planning on having it done since it's the closest place to me and I really like her work.

Guest ~Brenda~
Hi Dear Brenda,

I appreciate your great thoughts.

I'm a business woman, and this is just how I think. It's illogical to me to be on a transition journey and not have some idea what future choices will cost, how long they take and what all the logistics are. This is just called planning to me.

I'm not ready to make a reservation, yet. :D Smart businesses always plan 5 to 10 years out with their business strategies. Frankly, it would be wise for any of us to set a goal to save up the money starting right now. Just because we're saving for it and, in reality, just because we reach the goal of XXX in the bank doesn't mean we'll actually choose surgery when the time comes.

However, when planning has been done, people would then have the free choice to go where they wanted and do it or not.

The way everyone talks around here, you'd think this was real money or something.... :lol: Actually, 22 grand is nothing. Have you ever seen the hospital bill for a simple emergency appendectomy? It can run way more than that. You can buy a nice sedan for 22 grand and people do it every day. This isn't so hard to fathom, actually. Call your credit union and see what the payments are on a 5 year car loan for that amount.

Sell your car, buy a bike and start working on cutting every single expenditure you can. You'll have the money in less than 5 years....

I am taking it slow and I am enjoying this trip a great deal. I honestly don't know if surgery is really right for me or not. But I do know that it will sure be easier to do it, if I decide to do it, if I've planned for the expense and have the money in the bank. At that point, it will be my choice and mine alone to do it or not do it. I'll not have any regrets later that I want it done and it'll take X years to get it.

I've learned that I can literally have anything I want, anything at all, if I only can first visualize it and then believe that I can do it. It's that simple, really.

Girlfriend, this is something I've sure visualized plenty over the years..... :lol:

Warm hugs to you, Brenda and thank you for all the help you give to others. You truly have a giving spirit and I thank you for it.

Becky

Becky hon,

I apologize if I made you feel defensive about wanting to know what SRS costs. I am very sorry if I made you feel that way. I was just trying to help by trying to show that transitioning is far more complex than a financial plan. You are right in that planning is important (I post that concept all of the time). I guess that I am guilty of letting how I think influence my response to you without truely understanding your question.

I don't plan like you do. My plans are more simple and immediate. I do have longer term goals, but planning for them is not rigidly structured. I simply look at all of the steps to reach my goals, and then focus on each step as a goal in itself. As I reach each step, I plan for the next.

Your way is just fine, and I do hope that it works for you the way that you expect.

We are different kinds of people and that is all OK :)

Love and HUGS

Brenda

Guest BeckyTG
Becky hon,

I apologize if I made you feel defensive about wanting to know what SRS costs. I am very sorry if I made you feel that way. I was just trying to help by trying to show that transitioning is far more complex than a financial plan. You are right in that planning is important (I post that concept all of the time). I guess that I am guilty of letting how I think influence my response to you without truely understanding your question.

Dearest Brenda,

You didn't make me feel defensive at all, but I did feel misunderstood. I still do a little, hence the reason behind this response.

You and I agree that transitioning is far more complex than a financial plan. In fact, I'll tell you that finances are the absolute least of my concerns regarding transitioning for me.

I don't plan like you do. My plans are more simple and immediate. I do have longer term goals, but planning for them is not rigidly structured. I simply look at all of the steps to reach my goals, and then focus on each step as a goal in itself. As I reach each step, I plan for the next.

This is a purely emotional issue and you simply can not plan out emotions. To do so would be the ultimate mistake. This is a very slow and deliberate step by step process. Each step must be experienced, savored, integrated into our being and mastered, if you will, before the next step is even considered. This is not a race, this is not a competition and this most certainly is not just a journey with an end and then it's over.

This is life-altering stuff. This is "you can't go back" stuff. This is "this can kill you if you don't do it right" stuff. This is "I've lost everything I've ever worked for and held dear" stuff. You simply can't assign time lines to it and if you do, you may make a serious mistake.

I'm in my 3rd month of HRT and this is the right thing for me right now. How far will it go? I have no idea, I really and truly don't. I'll never stop, because it makes me feel so good and so right. I'm incredibly happy every single day and I can truthfully say that, since my E dosage was ramped up 6 weeks ago, I haven't had a bad mood since. That's 6 weeks without a single bad mood day. How can I argue with that? This is a "step" I can stay with for some time to come.

What is my next step in my plan? To get up tomorrow, take my medications and enjoy another glorious day. That's my complete and total plan right now. Seriously and really.

If it helps you better understand how my mind thinks, I've got a rough, hand-drawn map of the expected terrain I may face in the journey I'm on. I realize that things will happen that may make it difficult to stay right where I'm at, so eventually, I'll have to move along. (The hormones may change me so much that I may have trouble passing as a man, so I need a plan for that). The rough map really lacks detail, but I know there's some water ahead that I can't swim through. So, at some point, I need a way to get across that water.

The money for the surgery represents the method to cross the water. Having the method doesn't mean I'll cross it, only that I can if I encounter it and decide to cross it.

I might find a nice, comfortable spot to settle in before I even get to the water and that would be great, too. So, having the money lined up gives me the means to make a choice when and IF I get there.

Your way is just fine, and I do hope that it works for you the way that you expect.

I have only one expectation right now--that each day I take my medications I'll continue to feel great. As long as that continues to happen, my expectations will be met.

We are different kinds of people and that is all OK :)

I know and you're just a dear sweet girl who wants to help everybody and I just love you for that. You are a very dedicated woman and I respect everything you do for all of us sisters here.

Love and HUGS

Brenda

Hugs,

Becky

Guest Chandra

Dearest Becky,

I have just been looking over some of Dr. Marci stuff. I get good vibes from her and the entire treatment program.

I have no doubt that when you know it is time, thats were you will be sis.

And I can understand you wanting to know all the costs, thats just the business woman in you. And trying to see if it is acceptable, with in the boundaries of your cost-benefit limits. Keep your powder dry sis, and have it there for you. So when you know it's time, you know you will have the financial power to do so.

At Laura's we all seem to pass on things we learn from others, here are a few things I have learned.

Extremely caring Brenda pointing out that slow evolution is key to successes. And that the emotional and mental changes are extremely complex changing to different levels.

This will the tougher one for you Dear Becky, because I know you have got your financial ducks in a row.

The true and only power that can help you with this one, is the power that lies within deep with in you sis, and I know you can pull it out of you.

I think we all share and have this this power that has always been lying deep with in, it's called called transition.

It's kind of like being Dorothy in the wizard of oz, but does not understand and has to learn about clicking her heels to get back home. Just personally speaking, I would be perfectly content staying as Dorothy in oz. But you know what I mean.

And the super cool Amanda joan told me her GT said transition is like a train ride from New York to L.A. with LA being SRS

People can get off at there right spot of transition, and it's ok, you don't have to ride it all way to LA

Wow it that cool or what.

For what it was worth, I just wanted to use a little what I have learned here for you dear sis.

Is that not what friends are for.

Love Chandra

• 1 month later...
Guest Leah1026

The rumor mill has Dr Bowers moving to the West Coast. Mt San Rafael Hospital has not been very supportive over the last year or so. Also I believe Marci got divorced from the mother of her child and has re-married. Her new wife works in the Bay area. So a move to the West Coast makes sense. Don't know when the move will happen, it's all still rumor because Marci has made an official statement yet.