• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

86 Year Old Aunt Is In The Hospital

Guest Katrina Reann

Guest Katrina Reann

Hi all,

My last Aunt on my mom's side is very sick right now and she is 86 years old.She has not been healthy at all for the past year. Seems like every time she would get rid of one infection she would catch something else and she has lost about 50 pounds in the last few months. In the past couple of week she has had it coming out both ends and just a few days ago started passing blood in her stool. She has been in the hospital now for just over two full days. She is very weak and seems to be getting weaker. When my cousins took her to the ER they did do some blood work which came back normal and they also did xrays of her chest. The Drs saw something in one of her lungs that had them concerned enough to admit her. Yesterday they had her on IV's the first day because the want to do more testing and gave her her first full meal yesterday and it came out both ends again and today she has been on a liquid diet and are preparing her for endoscopy a colonoscopy tommorow. Tonight she her stools are like water, so far no blood, but she is so weak her kids are starting to stay with her all night and calling all the family to let us know they are very worried and really don't know at this point if she is going to make it. She has had the scopes before and she gets very sick after drinking all that chalky stuff you have to have before the procedure. And that could very be enough take what little fight she may have left at this point. As for the spot on her lung we are sure what is happening. They did do an ultra sound on her abdomen yesterday and where going to take more xrays of her chest but for some reason they have put that off. From the ER xrays they did say it could be pneumonia and really didn't think it was cancer. This woman has a very hard life gone through 3 abusive husbands and her children are always feuding with one another They use her, abused her, and tried to bleed her dry of money. They are a very dysfunctional family. On top of all this she also has some dementia and it too has gotten worse and worse this past year. So at thi we are just praying for God's will to be done and if He wants to take her home then take her

And please remember my mom and our family in all this. Mom is pretty sick right now with a nasty sisnus infection that is spilling over into one of her ears. And when she gets infections like this she too starts showing signs of dementia.This her last sibling evryone else in her family is gone and March 11th is coming up which is the day when my dad passed away 7 years ago. So there is the possibility that my Aunt could pass away on that day. So in general it is a very difficult time and situation we are in. My Aunt lives in Arkansas and we live in Illinios and with mom being sick right now we cant go down regardless of what happens. Mom says she is okay with that because she knew last year when she went down for a visit she knew it might be the last time she would be able to go, because of her own health and age. And they did have a long talk about that. But it will still be very difficult to deal with. I will keep you all posted in this thread as to how things are going with both my mom and Aunt.

As for me all things considered I am doing pretty good and holding up well. I tend to deal with illnesses and passing's pretty well this one does have that added possiblity that could make things rougher than usual if it happens on the 11th. I am preparing myself for that possibility while taking things one day at a time and not worrying about it.

I am totally exhausted right now though because it has been a long day and I have been up since 5 30 this morning. So nightie night all....Huggsss galore to all of you~~

Katrina hon,

I am sorry to hear about your aunt, i hope they find out what is wrong and can resolve what ever it is, and i hope your mother feels better soon too.

HUGS!!!

Paula

• Admin

Katrina, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. It sounds like things have been really rough for her. I think sometimes its better if someone doesn't

linger and suffer too long, but in the end its whatever is the will of the Goddess. All you can do is give her all the love you can.

I hope too that your mother feels better soon. You have a lot on your mind, so go take care of the ones you love, and if you need us, we'll be

here for you. You know you can always PM me or another Mod or a friend, and we will give you a shoulder to cry on if you need one.

((HUGGSS))

Carolyn Marie

Guest Elizabeth K

Kartrina

You are the definition of having a full plate! MY GOODNESS.

My wife lights candles for those who are sick, especially the elder ones. I will have her do so for your grandmother. She can also light a candle for your mother and for your family. Keep us posted.

Lizzy

Guest BeckyTG

Dearest Katrina,

I offer you my deepest sympathy, girlfriend. You're getting tested beyond what any normal person should and I know how tough you are. No one should have to go through that, but, as you know, the choice is not ours to make.

It sounds like you've accepted that, however it comes out, it's for the best. That's all we can do as mortals.

I'm praying for you and your Aunt, sweetheart. Here's a big, long, warm hug for you girlfriend--huuuuuggggg.

More hugs,

Becky

I understand how you are feeling right now, I have in the past lost my Grandmother and her sister within a week and an Uncle and his wife within a few hours of each other all four from lingering illnesses so I do know the toll that it can ake on you.

You have got to remind yourself that if this is the end for your Aunt that her suffering will end and it seems that she has suffered for quite a while.

I will keep you, your aunt and your mother in my prayers.

Take good care of your mother for this is a very difficult time for her as well.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

Katrina......

I'm sending love and positive energy to you and yours...I understand that it's a difficult itme for you right now..

All the best wishes in the world to you...

Hang in there

LOVE

Donna Jean

Guest Katrina Reann

Thank you ALL so very much for your support, prayers, thoughts, and well wishes. It means so much to me. More than many of you may realize or know.

My Aunt had the test run and is now resting somewhat. They did find several things. She has some type of a yeast infection in her esophagus form throwing up so much. She also has a hernia with severely bleeding ulcers and has divaticulotis or whatever it is that causes major diarrhea. So for an 86 year old she is a mess. We still don't know anything about the spot on her lungs though.

Lizzy, you are right I do have a very full plate right now.

This morning I realized just how much everything is weighing on me. I have bipolar disorder which under normal circumstances is very well managed with meds. But all this stress has push me to my very limits of having another breakdown. The last few days I have not slept all at well, it has been very hard for me to keep my thought patterns straight, and I often lose track of what I am trying to say or do. My emotions are kind of all over the place as well. But I do see those things now as signs which for many years my head was so screwed up that I couldn't see them. But I do have a good structure of support in place with family and having a place like Laura's with so many wonderful people That I can talk to is a huge help. My psychiatrist is aware of the stress I am under. But right now we are in agreement that I should try to work through everything rather than do anything with my meds. Today I chose to take the bull by the horns and addressing somethings that are in my control. Such as my struggle with Dad's death this year. I have been trying to hold myself together because of everything else going. I wasn't going to go out to his grave this year because I knew I would fall apart. My dad was always the rock of the family and I was tring to be that rock for my family. Today I realized I am not a rock like Dad I am more like an egg or a hard shell taco. To much pressure and I fall apart or crack...:). So today I went to dad's grave all alone and scrambled the eggs...:)... I allowed myself to cry and grieve. That helped me a lot. And I also talked to my sister and wife for a long time today, and that has lifted a lot of pressure on me and my mind is a whole lot more at ease right now. This is most definitely the hardest thing I have had to go through since getting my disorder under control but I am learning how to manage such things and keep everything under control and I know I may come out of the particular difficult time in my life a little bruised, battered, and weary but I will come out a alive and victorious, cause I am determined and I am a fighter.

Again Thank you ALL Sooo very much for being here for me and my family...I love you all very much and know I too am here for you when you go through your hard times as well....Huggsss

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 238 Guests (See full list)

• Birdie
    • Betty K
    • Abigail Genevieve
    • MaryEllen
    • Karen Carey
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

MossycupMolly
    Newest Member
    MossycupMolly

1. Angelo christoper
      Angelo christoper
      (38 years old)
    2. Joslynn
      Joslynn
      (61 years old)
    3. Kaltia_Atlas
      Kaltia_Atlas
    4. Rika_Lil
      Rika_Lil
      (40 years old)
    5. Summerluv
      Summerluv
      (19 years old)
    • Birdie
      A bit of bra humour...
    • Mirrabooka
      Friday May 17th is IDAHOBIT (International Day Against HOmophobia, BIphobia and Transphobia).   Do you acknowledge or celebrate it? Do you do anything special for it, like taking part in any organized events or activities?   I'm not an activist and I prefer to fly under the radar, but I am slowly becoming aware of important dates. I have been aware of the date of IDAHOBIT for a few weeks now, but other important 'rainbow' dates have not been etched into my brain yet.    I will wear my favorite pride t-shirt as a token acknowledgement of the day, but it probably won't be seen; cool weather here will mean that it will be hidden under a sweater.    
    • Mirrabooka
    • Mirrabooka
      Happiness for me comes from being cognizant of the things that make me feel good.   Sunshine.   Pandering to my inner woman.   Knowing that some people in my life really 'know' me.   Vacations, and Eggs Benedict at an alfresco cafe.   My wife and I being telepathic.   Grandchildren.   Music.   Wine!    
    • Ivy
      True.  Every trans death is not a hate crime. There is so much hate expressed by some people, that we kinda get to expect it.
    • KymmieL
      happiness to me is being ME. At all times, and it has yet to happen.
    • Vidanjali
      Hello & welcome, giz! Your post makes me remember how excited I was to join here too. I also had queer friends at the time I joined, but any of my trans friends lived a long distance away. So most local queer friends are gay & I felt uncomfortable coming out to them bc I couldn't assume they'd understand genderqueerness. So it was a thrill to join here and immediately have access to do many wonderful, genuine, kind & thoughtful friends-to-be.   Are you saying you're concerned that if you come out to your queer friends that somehow your parents will find out?     My love, I just want to affirm that that's not a weird dysphoria. It's just dysphoria. And we definitely get it. You're in good company here!     Look forward to seeing you around here & getting to know you. I shoot for androgynous appearance as well, leaning towards masculine.   Hope you're having a splendid day!
    • Heather Shay
      Listening to a YouTube mix for me and this song came up and I immediately fell in love again and just want to play music with like minded musicians playing OUR music and feel the joy and fulfillment even if no one else gets it. I love to fall into the music....  
    • April Marie
      Welcome to the forums, giz! We’re so happy you found us. You’ll find lots of information and many wonderful people here. Each of us is unique but we all share similarities as well. Look around, ask questions and join in where you feel comfortable!
    • Heather Shay
      NPR tiny desk winner 2024 - REALLY ENJOYED - simple song with wonderful melody, retro sound, reminds me of Billy Preston....  
    • Heather Shay
      What is happiness for you?
    • Birdie
      Funny.....   The day-centre transportation director told me yesterday morning that I was to receive an award, my picture on the website, etc... for having won the billiards tournament (I knew better).   Later that afternoon he returns to "shake my hand" and tell me, "thanks for participating."   I could have told him that was all I would receive earlier. I'm not well liked by management. 
    • Heather Shay
      Feelings are joyful as happiness spreads.
    • Heather Shay
      The Power of Feeling our Feelings: a story of joy and pain https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1683051267452-AAZVC5ZJZ5E2XRBOOPRE/unsplash-image-rOKbmUbcOVg.jpg Does “joy” feel like a distant memory or an intangible experience for you?  Are you on the journey of seeking more joy in your life? Maybe you’ve found this blog, as in your healing journey, “more joy” is the beacon that gets you through the tough times, and you are fearlessly on the quest to learn more about trauma, anxiety and depression and how to support a more joyous life. If that sounds like you, then welcome, this post is for you, and if that doesn’t feel like you that’s okay too, I invite you to stay for a story. Let me tell you a story about a woman named Ellie who came to therapy with the goal of “wanting to feel more joy + lightness in her life”. She sat on the couch across from me…she was so eternally wise, and self-aware. She had worked so hard to get to this place of understanding herself, but she still felt stuck and nowhere closer to her joyful, fulfilled life. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684948947151-PH97YWGUXYF7JJT25K1I/image-asset.jpeg She came back session after session, explaining her struggles and breaking down the gritty details of who she was, until one day I said, I paused her again in attempts to help her connect more with her emotional experience, For the first time in her therapy experience, Ellie was still, she took a moment to check inside and find her sadness…she was really being with her emotional experience. Sometimes as humans we can be aware of feelings, but struggle to FEEL the feelings, tuning in to our emotions and letting them take up space. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684949533886-EOI9VPKBEQ2EZHERTYT1/image-asset.jpeg All of a sudden she felt her throat getting tighter, her heart sinking, and tears welling up in her eyes. She said, as she began to cry, “ yeah I feel so sad because…” I so ever gently interrupted her again “hey Ellie it’s okay, can we just let the sadness be there, it's SO important why, and also its SO important to just feel, so just feel sad my dear”. Ellie, hearing this, felt her shoulders drop and soften in surrender, and spent the next minute or so letting her tears flow, crying, and being guided by me, to find support in her own breath and the pillows and blankets on the couch. This somatic release, was exactly what she needed. She cried, while I held space, providing compassionate support and company, until Ellie felt a huge sense of relief wash over her body and exclaimed “woah that felt so cathartic, I feel lighter”.  I cracked a very stereotypical nerdy therapist joke and Ellie let out a HUGE chuckle, beginning  to laugh deep into her belly, and that feeling of lightness transformed into a moment of JOY! Could it be? Ellie settled into a feeling of calm after her chuckle with me and asked, “What just happened? For a moment there I felt so light and wow, I really laughed. Is that joy? How is that possible?” I then began to share a bit of on emotions…."Let me explain the connection between our pain and joy. They might be more connected than you think!” Emotions are an integral part of the human experience. They provide us with valuable information about ourselves and our environment, and they can motivate us to take action or change our behavior. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950220510-2BYGYE4A5XKZODNS2I0Y/image-asset.jpeg However, it is common for people to try to avoid or suppress emotions such as sadness, anger, and fear.  They may try to explain it away, finding logical and “cognitive” ways to cope with the pain…. While this may seem like a reasonable strategy to avoid discomfort, it can actually have negative consequences, including a reduced ability to feel positive emotions. Our emotions are interconnected and interdependent, they are all processed in the same areas of the brain. The neural pathways that process pain are called the nociceptive pathways. The nociceptive pathways send signals to the brain's pain center, the somatosensory cortex, which processes the sensory information and generates the experience of pain.   However, the same neural pathways that process pain can also process pleasure and joy.  This is because the somatosensory cortex does not just process sensory information related to pain; it also processes sensory information related to other physical sensations, such as touch, temperature, and pressure. When we experience pleasure and joy, these sensory signals are processed in the same way as pain signals. However, instead of activating the pain center, they activate the brain's pleasure center. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950865903-TQRJXIIXD3SHELV065QA/image-asset.jpeg This means that the same sensory channels in the brain can be activated by both pain and pleasure, but the experience we have depends on which part of the brain is activated. When the pain center is activated, we experience pain, and when the pleasure center is activated, we experience pleasure and joy. Pain and joy are actually closely related to each other, cousins if you will! In other words, our emotional experiences are not isolated events, but rather a complex and dynamic system of interrelated experiences. When we try to avoid or suppress our perceived negative emotions, we are essentially shutting down a part of our emotional experience. This can create a "numbing" effect, where we feel less overall emotion, both positive and negative.  This is because the brain processes emotions as a whole, so if we try to suppress painful or uncomfortable emotions, it can also reduce the intensity and richness of positive emotions. Research has shown that people who struggle to identify or express their emotions, particularly painful ones, often experience lower levels of overall emotional experience, including positive emotions. This is because our ability to experience positive emotions is dependent on our ability to process and regulate negative emotions. By suppressing negative emotions, we may be hindering our ability to fully experience positive emotions. _____________________________ So, to wrap up this short story with a nice bow… Ellie was able to FEEL into her sadness, thus allowing her to FEEL into the depths of her own experience of joy. She was activating “stuck” pain and moving through the experience, using those key areas of the brain, so her JOY was fully expressed as well. This is why….I extend an invitation for you to FEEL it all my dear, the heavy and awful, the light, and all the emotions in between. These different parts of us, make up who we are. If it feels too scary at first that's okay, maybe find a trusted friend or a therapist that can help support you in feeling safe  to express your emotions slowly, bit by bit, over time.  And If you are ready to lean into those heavier feelings, let them out, because the pain that you may be avoiding feeling, just might be the very thing you need to feel, to then welcome and unlock the feeling of JOY. https://images.squarespace-cdn.com/content/v1/57cc4071725e25df3ef3c66a/1684950934538-PW47TOU8LXR9AINGG53F/unsplash-image-ktPKyUs3Qjs.jpg At Integrative Psychotherapy we help clients engage in therapy so they can feel more comfortable in their skin and befriend alllll their emotions.
    • Heather Shay
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.