• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Got Read By A ... Homeless Person?

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

So the day started off innocent enough: drop off applications at 4 stores and then come home. So I got up at ripe hour of 0730 and was out the door by 0945. First stop: Lane Bryant @ 10a. The mall first opens at 10 and I got there about 10:15. The only people in the mall at 1015 are employees and old people. Easy-peasy! I walked in, talked to an employee and the manager on duty, dropped off my application, looked at their jewelry, found a big bracelet that works with my outfit and it large enough for my wrist. Bought it and walked out feeling super happy that they treated me like any other woman.

Got in the car, drove across the street and down a tad to Catherines. Walked in, talked to the store manager who is sooo nice! Dropped off the application. Talked a bit. Then it was off to Fashion Bug (noticing a trend? these are all plus size clothing stores that are owned by Charming Shoppes, Inc). Same dealio. Walked in, talked to manager, handed over application, talked, laughed, smiled, thanked, left.

By this time I was dying for nicotine (no flames about this, please) so I drive into a wide open area of the mall parking lot by the movie theater. Step out and light one up. Tried taking some phone pics but I couldn't figure the darn thing out (new phone, btw). I'm almost done and as I turn back around this homeless guy appears on his bike.

"Sorry, didn't want to scare ya"

Homeless people only ask you for 1 of 2 things so I went for the obvious. "Need a cigarette?"

"Yeah if you got one."

(hands guy cigarette)

(fyi, this is the good part....)

"How long have you been cross dressing?" (excuse me?!)

"What makes you think I'm a cross dresser?"

"Your voice. It's a dead giveaway." (way to go Liz...)

"Really. I've been out all day and noone's called me 'sir' yet."

"Is that right? What's your name?"

"Elizabeth"

(something about how long he was in prison. being homeless. sleeping on the streets)

"What's your real name?"

"That is my real name."

"Oh. Well nice to meet you Elizabeth. Thanks for the cigarette."

:angry:

Note to self: work on voice? work on not dropping voice when in a comfortable setting. *ponders*

Anyway, I talked to about 6 people up to that guy and noone called me sir or batted an eye. I talked to another few people after that guy and the same results. Sooooo, maybe this was just a rare read instance.

Oh, I also got a pedicure today. My nails are soo pretty! I think pedicures should be MANDATORY for all women (that includes the T-spectrum girls) because they're so heavenly and relaxing and ... they make your toes look pretty!

and before I forget, here's 2 pics from today:

liz0316-smaller.jpg

Liz-031602.jpg

I accidentally cut my bangs too short recently. My hairdresser is going to kill me!! *hides*

Guest Donna Jean

Lizzie......

The reason that the guy read you like that is because he's an alien!

Yup!

Advance scout!

It's a good thing that it was daytime and not night or folks would be sayin' "You seen Lizzie lately?"

See....aliens don't have gender, so they have trouble figuring us out!

So, I wouldn't take it personal..(but, I'd keep my phaser handy!)

And, DANG!...Everyone is getting their nails done...I gotta do that!

Nice pix, too...you're looking real good, Girlfriend....(another reason to watch out for alien abductions!)

LOVE

Donna Jean

• Admin

Great story, Lizzie. Hey, the good thing is, you passed among the folks that count the most - potential employers.

Anything else is gravy.

One time coming home late from a police reserve shift, I was in civies, and walked into a doughnut shop (yeah, I know LOL!)

for a snack and a coffee for the long ride home, and up walks a homeless guy, who calls me by my name (I had been out

of high school at least 12 years). He remembers me from school, and proceeds to tell me all about his life.

Moral of the story is, you never know who you're gonna meet, so be prepared for anything.

I love your hair BTW, so never mind what your hairdresser says. You look cute!

Carolyn Marie

Guest Charlene_Leona

Yea it happens to all of us from time to time. That's cutting the bangs too short. Getting read by a homeless person thats gotta be a real rarity!

Take Care

Charlene Leona

Guest Kaitlyn88

I was homeless when I was a kid, it wasn't fun. I wasn't crazy, but my parents were. Now though there are a lot of homeless that just couldn't find a job.

When you're homeless you run into all kinds of unusual people. I've seen a lot of cross dressers at the shelters, so he probably is used to it and anything at all could make him think that. Some random employer usually isn't thinking that someone would apply for the job cross dressing, so you must be female in their mind. I don't know many people that cross dress to apply for a job lol. Being transsexual you aren't cross dressing but most people don't even think they could ever run into a transsexual, so in their mind you must be an average female.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Ok I posted the same picture twice. I had a feeling I was about to so I had to wait for it to be approved so I could go back to the thread and ... dang, can't edit a topic. Hmm. okay, well here's the OTHER pic I meant to post:

liz03161-1.jpg

*clicks preview*

*double checks*

*clicks 'Add reply'* :P

Guest Donna Jean

OHHhhhhhh...., OK!

Those other two were both the same!

Thank God!

I spent 5 minutes trying to figure out what was different between them...*whew*

And, the smile is REALLY cute!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Evan_J

Actually? ("Hate" to be the defender of homeless people but this time I gotta.....) Even though they often get labeled "crazy" I actually have talked to one or two who were brilliant as hell. As for why/how it occured when in the eyes of the world you are as you actually are (a woman)? You have to think about it, one of the hardest things to be able to survive as is a homeless person; they HAVE to be more keyed into EVERY detail just to survive moment to moment. Pair that with the fact that they often have "seen everything" or lived or whatever on the route to getting in the shape they are and "voila". Someone with "abnormal" abilities.

Guest julia_d

I have been homeless.. one thing you learn fast is most are there from misfortune and not by choice. It is a life where only the astute and clever survive.. after all.. even after he read you he didn't make anything of it.. Another thing being destitute teaches you.. humility and what it really means to be a despised outcast shunned by "respectable" society.

Next time you see somebody huddled in a doorway remember.. we have far more in common than you might at first think.

Guest Evan_J
I have been homeless.. one thing you learn fast is most are there from misfortune and not by choice. It is a life where only the astute and clever survive.. after all.. even after he read you he didn't make anything of it.. Another thing being destitute teaches you.. humility and what it really means to be a despised outcast shunned by "respectable" society.

Next time you see somebody huddled in a doorway remember.. we have far more in common than you might at first think.

If they let me have stars I'd put 5

Guest Astro_Liz

Lizzie, hun, you're beautiful! The voice will be everyones downfall, at least I think so anyway, but like you said, just a little more diligence will go a long way. Hmmm... maybe I should just drive over to the other coast and practice with ya! :lol:

Now, about that "no flames about this"..... :mad:

Guest Lizzie McTrucker
Lizzie, hun, you're beautiful! The voice will be everyones downfall, at least I think so anyway, but like you said, just a little more diligence will go a long way. Hmmm... maybe I should just drive over to the other coast and practice with ya! :lol:

Now, about that "no flames about this"..... :mad:

I think it's my mistake for slipping out of character. I've done that once before up in MA while doing laundry. But, I didn't give him the pleasure of knowing he was correct. I stuck to my guns and I think when I told him my real name was Elizabeth maybe that cast a shadow of doubt that maybe he was wrong and I was right.

But I'm over-thinking what is most likely a one-time encounter.

• 1 month later...
Guest 91curiouskitten

Somethign I was told and it seems true enough, you can always tell one of your own ^^ Maybey he had some, friendly, tiem in prison >.>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Esperanza Xochitl
So the day started off innocent enough: drop off applications at 4 stores and then come home. So I got up at ripe hour of 0730 and was out the door by 0945. First stop: Lane Bryant @ 10a. The mall first opens at 10 and I got there about 10:15. The only people in the mall at 1015 are employees and old people. Easy-peasy! I walked in, talked to an employee and the manager on duty, dropped off my application, looked at their jewelry, found a big bracelet that works with my outfit and it large enough for my wrist. Bought it and walked out feeling super happy that they treated me like any other woman.

Got in the car, drove across the street and down a tad to Catherines. Walked in, talked to the store manager who is sooo nice! Dropped off the application. Talked a bit. Then it was off to Fashion Bug (noticing a trend? these are all plus size clothing stores that are owned by Charming Shoppes, Inc). Same dealio. Walked in, talked to manager, handed over application, talked, laughed, smiled, thanked, left.

By this time I was dying for nicotine (no flames about this, please) so I drive into a wide open area of the mall parking lot by the movie theater. Step out and light one up. Tried taking some phone pics but I couldn't figure the darn thing out (new phone, btw). I'm almost done and as I turn back around this homeless guy appears on his bike.

"Sorry, didn't want to scare ya"

Homeless people only ask you for 1 of 2 things so I went for the obvious. "Need a cigarette?"

"Yeah if you got one."

(hands guy cigarette)

(fyi, this is the good part....)

"How long have you been cross dressing?" (excuse me?!)

"What makes you think I'm a cross dresser?"

"Your voice. It's a dead giveaway." (way to go Liz...)

"Really. I've been out all day and noone's called me 'sir' yet."

"Is that right? What's your name?"

"Elizabeth"

(something about how long he was in prison. being homeless. sleeping on the streets)

"What's your real name?"

"That is my real name."

"Oh. Well nice to meet you Elizabeth. Thanks for the cigarette."

:angry:

Note to self: work on voice? work on not dropping voice when in a comfortable setting. *ponders*

Anyway, I talked to about 6 people up to that guy and noone called me sir or batted an eye. I talked to another few people after that guy and the same results. Sooooo, maybe this was just a rare read instance.

Oh, I also got a pedicure today. My nails are soo pretty! I think pedicures should be MANDATORY for all women (that includes the T-spectrum girls) because they're so heavenly and relaxing and ... they make your toes look pretty!

and before I forget, here's 2 pics from today:

liz0316-smaller.jpg

Liz-031602.jpg

I accidentally cut my bangs too short recently. My hairdresser is going to kill me!! *hides*

I won't flame (get it?) you for a cig (get it yet? ah, the humor) It's not the best habit but I have it too.

But enough about sparking grits...

I believe to my heart that just as with any other group in society homeless people have some who are nice, and some who aren't. Some who are crazy, and some who aren't. There is probably a higher percentage of crazy people at a tea party rally than amongst homeless people.

Let's not be too hard on the homeless, I have a special place in my heart for many of them some through misfortune and some by choice, it is not an easy or particularly safe life.

I used to run the sound board for the local Shakespeare in the park productions some 40 summers ago and while I still the young man eager to prove his manhood by doing everything by himself (OK, they were too cheap to hire me an assistant) I was left after the productions were over to take the make shift and highly modified components to the room where they were locked up at night.

The lighting crew of 5 had their gear stashed in minutes and left - just me the main lights off down to a couple of small work lights and a security guard to lock the door - I was left to do the hour and a half tear down and storage by myself, it would be thirty minutes with help - how do I know that because after the first week of my first summer I had help, the park was where most of the homeless in that area slept and I was in their way so one night a couple of men approached me and asked if I could use a hand (the security guard stood by the door but did reach for his walkie-talkie - I said that I could and the other one asked how much had to be disconnected to move it - he had worked in an assembly plant for Radio Shack before deciding that he just didn't like society at all.

From that night on I had a team of four homeless men who helped me to get packed up and out of their bedroom in 30 minutes or less every night - there are some good people everywhere.

And as I am edging closer to homeless myself, I would like to think that we would be more accepting of them not just for me but for all of the outcasts from a society with no room for diversity.

I hope you get one of those jobs, I think it would be perfect for you.

Love ya,

Sally

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Melanie Dawn
I won't flame (get it?) you for a cig (get it yet? ah, the humor) It's not the best habit but I have it too.

But enough about sparking grits...

I believe to my heart that just as with any other group in society homeless people have some who are nice, and some who aren't. Some who are crazy, and some who aren't. There is probably a higher percentage of crazy people at a tea party rally than amongst homeless people.

LMAO so true!

Melanie Dawn