• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

:huh: How Do You Chose Your Name?

Guest Flistan

Guest Flistan

ugh- I'm really frustrated b/c I'm on my phone and right when when I finished typing all of this, my phone deleted it all, argh!!

Anywho...

Ever since I was little, I've always been fascinated with the idea of what I'd be like if I was born a guy, like my name. If I were a guy, my parents would have named me Edward for my grandfather(ew, Twilight get it off get it off! lol).

Lately, since I've been thinking about crossdressing on occassion after I get a summer job and can buy my own clothes in secret, I've been wondering if I should have a masculine public name, but it might be hard on my friends, haha. Thing is, I have quite a feminine name that has no male equivalent. ><

I've asked a couple of friends about the subject, and one of them said I look like an Erik. Being androgyne however has made me wonder if I should have a more androgynous name like Logan. It's the name of one of the characters in my stories and I have an attachment to the meaning, but it doesn't really sound like ''me''. I sort of like something like Erik or Ethan.

So, I decided to put this up so everyone could inspire others to chose their name, whether by basing it off your birth name, what your parents would have called you if born the opposite gender, what you like, what name meaning describes you, or what sounds good to you. :3

Guest Elizabeth K

NAME?

Gosh - everyone does it differently. I once liked 'Becka" - but changed my mind. Then I went through some of the new female names this generation has - good strong women's names but feminine.

But

I settled on two family names. The women in my family named 'Elizabeth' - POWERFUL. And there is a sentimental attachement to 'Anne." I owe these people so much - all are deceased except my daughter - all were so special to me. I had to be in their circle.

But 'Becka' still appeals to me sometmes - but I have been Lizzy too long and I strongly identify with it now.

Perhaps - look in 'male" names section of 'what to name your baby.'

Lizzy (aka Shizuzu -grin)

Guest Matthias_Bane

I actually named myself after my role play character. He was my oldest one, and most like myself (I role played to allow myself be a boy the way I longed to physically, all my characters are male and are created from taking one specific trait of myself and making it the main personality feature of them). My fully changed name is Matthias Alexander Bane, for the two most prominant characters and my great (great?) grandmother's maiden name. :3 So in a way, I too took from one of my stories.

Guest Flistan

forum emote title fail, lol.

haha- my name is Bekah. >< and my sister's middle name is elizabeth. how ironic.

i used to look on babyname sites forever for character names, but i somehow lost my spark for it... /:

there was one i really liked- Akshay (name of onre of my characters- on my icon) but I don't think with my terribly white complection that an Indian name woulrd fit... ><

I'll have to think on it...

Guest Lauren D.

Well, my parents were cruel enough to give a joy a girl's middle name so I just used that as my first name, made my grandmother's name my middle name, and dropped my last name and replaced it with my first name. I was Lucky to have a first name that is easily converted to a last name and I really love the way my name sounds.

I am now Lauren Patricia D. :-)

xoxo Laurie

Guest Flistan

eh, that won't work... i know like 7 chrises and one of them is my ex-best friend >< (although strangely we're getting along... o.0). i've always like that name though..

Guest Donna Jean
I'm of the "the name should reflect the person" camp; I would say one that is you.

I agree....

I'm a Donna Jean....always have been.....

I look like, walk like and talk like a Donna Jean...

No mystery there!

Huggs...

Guess who?

Guest My_Genesis
forum emote title fail, lol.

haha- my name is Bekah. >< and my sister's middle name is elizabeth. how ironic.

i used to look on babyname sites forever for character names, but i somehow lost my spark for it... /:

there was one i really liked- Akshay (name of onre of my characters- on my icon) but I don't think with my terribly white complection that an Indian name woulrd fit... ><

I'll have to think on it...

My birth name is (/was) Rebecca (so no male equivalent except maybe Beck? like the singer? lol), but my initials turn out to be R.J., so I just went with R.J. because that is a pretty common male name/acronym.. lol... then I wasn't sure what it should actually stand for..but my mom also told me if I had been born a boy my parents considered Robert and James, so I've decided on Robert James as the full name, but I'll go by just R.J. unless it might cause confusion with other R.J.'s? In that case I'd go by Robbie J. (and I might make that my name on facebook b/c they don't let you have 2 capital letters, just the R is capitalized and that bugs me :P) I just think it sounds cool, has a nice ring to it. :)

Ok... My name choice was fairly complicated. My actual name I was born with was a fairly Androgynous name but also fairly unique. Basically, my name is currently listed as Raven. I didn't want to use my birth name despite my liking it. So... I went into my male roleplay characters.

One of them was named Athan, it is derived from the greek word Athanas which means immortal. Since immortality is something I would always love for myself, I kind of put that as a yes. Besides, I also love A names. This name is kind of half made and easy to interpret as Ethan, which doesn't bother me.

I also picked a middle name, partially because I would feel bothered to not have a semi long name since my birth name has two middle names and a hyphanated name. I picked Raphael because I liked the association with healing. I also have a fascination with the angels and demons in christanity even though my belief system is... Complicated.

Pick a name that fits you. If you have to, if you like certain sounds, look there. If you like certain ethnicities for names, go there too. Above all though, remember to pick a meaning that suits you.

Guest ChalenAustin
Hon that's just it :)

You don't choose your name. Your name chooses you :)

When it finds you. You will know :)

HUGS

Brenda

I agree. Mine found me and it's perfect.

Guest Elizabeth K

I don't think this works for males.

But for transitioning MTF? I read in a guide for cross dressers (I read everything) when you need a female name, you use the name of the pet dog you loved as a kid, and add your mother's maiden name

Hope this helps

Sandy Moore

Guest Blindheart

My mom would have named me Laura if i had been born a girl. I might have ended up using that except for the fact that my brother dated a girl with that name for awhile so it just felt kinda weird. ended up choosing Lana instead, since i had been using it for years anyway when i needed a girl name in a video game. The way i got it was i just re-arranged the letters in my given name. of those 4 letters i get 1 boys name and 2 girls.

Guest Katrina Reann

I picked several names and put them on a huge wheel, (like the wheel of fortune wheel) Spun it and it kept landed on bankrupt. So then I put all the names on a dart board, but kept missing the board entirely. The I put all the names in a hat and kept pulling out names I didn't like.(It was kind of like the bad santa thing, you never get what you really want). So then I just started trying on names like I do clothes and found one that fits.

I know, I do things the hard way, but you gotta' give me kudos for trying...lol

Guest Donna Jean

But for transitioning MTF? I read in a guide for cross dressers (I read everything) when you need a female name, you use the name of the pet dog you loved as a kid, and add your mother's maiden name

Hope this helps

Sandy Moore

LOL.....

Well, I guess then I'd be ......

Buddy I dunno...

Hope this helps

Sandy Moore

Okay then, from today on I will be known as Lucretius Barkenstein Thomas!!!!

...Or not.

Anywho...

I keep flip-flopping on my name. When I first started out I wanted something more feminine- Caitlin, Emily, whatever. I just wanted something generic that wouldn't make me stand out of a crowd. However, these days my confidence has slipped considerably and I can't imagine myself saying, "my name is (girls name)." So, instead I've been thinking about a unisex one like 'Francis.' Not really sure though.

Guest Flistan

Ugh, it's so hard for me to think about it... I like certain names because they sound cool (Erik/Erikeld and Ethan), ones that mean something to me (Logan), ones that mean something to me but are to ethnic for my whiteness(Akshay, Akira), and rawrg. T.T Lol I wonder what people would think of me if I asked them to call me Shift. That'd be a little weird, since it's the name of a character(shape-shifter) in one of my stories, and it's not really a catchy name nor is it popular... "Shift, like... the key on my keyboard?" o.0

Ugh, nothing is sticking. T.T

Whatever, I'll figure it out somehow. Anyone have suggestions? >< I think the most expressively accurate photo of mine is the one on my profile, it's just I'm surprised a name isn't jumping out at/sticking with me yet...

Guest Sotha

The only thing I can suggest is that a relatively mundane name would probably be a good idea (like Ethan or Logan, both of which I like by the way). And just because a name may not appeal to you right off the bat, it may grow on you after some experimentation.

Good luck!

Guest Flistan

thanks pplz. :3 i've narrowed it down a little. my friend suggested to me Jack, which is androgynous if u think about Jackie(although not too keen on that...). hopefully in time it will come, although i am anxious. ><