• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Tax Court Allows Deduction For Woman's Sex Change

Guest KellyKat

Guest Donna Jean
Well here is something that made me smile. http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=9731645 If only we could get the insurance companies to follow suit!!

Luv Kat

YEP! Its happening a little at a time....

If each little victory is a little pebble and we toss it into the barrell full of water...one day we'll be able to stand on top of the water and not get wet!

It's all wonderful, no matter how small as long as it's going in the right direction!

Thanks for the link, Hon!

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

I read this about two weeks before i filed my taxes, though i have not had GRS, the person that did my taxes had read the article and did research, we deducted all my medical expenses related to my transition, hormones, blood work, Dr visits in addition to the miles to and from these appointments, you can not deduct cosmetic expenses like laser hair removal or electrolysis.

In order to deduct you need receipts for everything.

Paula

Guest Flistan

People need to realize that it's the same thing as someone going through breast cancer. My mom's side of the family is completely covered in breast cancer and other forms of cancer, and when my mom got it, she had a double mastectomy. It is not considered "cosmetic" when she had implants put it, nor when she had to have them replaced due to a flaw. This is also not a preference to become more socially popular but to be more comfortable with themselves.

Thing is, and I hate to put a downer on this, but why does the article specifically say "WOMEN" in terms of tax deductions? Can't FTM's get the same treatment? If I'm misunderstanding, please point it out, otherwise I'm not sure what's worse- the ignorance of the public or the sexism involved here...

Sry- uber feminist, or rather in this case masculinist? lol... or just... eithersexinist. yeah, there we go!

Either way it's good news I suppose... I just have a burning fury for sexists and womanizers. ><!!!

Guest Donna Jean
Thing is, and I hate to put a downer on this, but why does the article specifically say "WOMEN" in terms of tax deductions? Can't FTM's get the same treatment? If I'm misunderstanding, please point it out, otherwise I'm not sure what's worse- the ignorance of the public or the sexism involved here...

Sry- uber feminist, or rather in this case masculinist? lol... or just... eithersexinist. yeah, there we go!

Either way it's good news I suppose... I just have a burning fury for sexists and womanizers. ><!!!

Whoa! Down, big fella'!

The story was about a Transwoman that sued the IRS to get tax deductions for her medical, which we all know, can be astronomical!

Now, maybe the next time a Transman will follow suit and do the same until it is written into the tax code and becomes common for all of us. This was just a one off case!

Huggs

Donna Jean...

Guest Flistan

Lol mah bad- I thought it said "WOMEN'S" as in, because of this one lady's tax returns, all women could get them but never mentioned men. -.-

btw random side note...

I take a terrible anatomy class taught by a coach and with a load of "boys" ...you know, the one's that snicker at the "naughty words"... I'm not sure if they weren't listening or just indifferent but there was a brief note on HRT and no one seemed to have an immature/biased reaction towards it. 50% of me thinks no one was paying attention and the other half of me is saying "yayz!" with warm, cuddly feelings inside.

And I was afraid they'd be all judgmental, although everyday people are getting more and more liberal, neh? Although, sometimes too much liberal can't be good, like if you spend all your time with Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds when you should be becoming a neurosurgeon... lol

So, with this mini side-note and the article above, hopefully we won't be so "taboo" or misunderstood anymore. ^.^