• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

A Few Ftm Top Surgery Questions

Guest Miles

Guest Miles

Hey

So right now it looks like it's entirely possible for me to have top surgery in mid-December 2010. I [can] get out of school as early as December 19, and I don't have to go back for a month. I might be able to stay with a friend who lives relatively close to Dr. Garramone, who I want to be my surgeon.

My question is this: about how long (obviously it varies) after my double mastectomy am I able to get on a plane and fly back to school on my own (I might be with the friend, but let's just say worst case scenario)?? Are barely four weeks enough for me to be wearing a backpack and basically return to normal physical activity level?? And does anyone really have serious problems where they'd need to see their surgeon immediately a month after surgery??

Any guys with experience would be so helpful!!!

Thanks!

-Miles

Guest lvmyftm

It's been about 6 years since my boyfriend had his top surgery. If I remember correctly he was in the area where his surgeon was for less than a week. I believe the drains come out a couple days after surgery and then he was good to go. I don't remember what his activity restrictions were if any. I had a breast reduction several years before he had his top surgery and I was only restricted from carrying things for 2 weeks. I am pretty sure that 4 weeks is more than enough time. Infection would be the biggest concern for needing to see your surgeon after but after 2 weeks the wounds have closed and the chance of infection is less. I dont see any reason why you wouldnt be able to fly alone a week or so after surgery. Top surgery isn't that painful or complicated and heals pretty quick. The only complicated part is finding a good surgeon that does a good job suturing you up so you dont end up with dog ears or thick scars.

Sounds like you are getting top surgery THIS year!! Congrats!

Guest Evan_J

My drains came out at 5 days. Typically you'll hear it can be 7-10 days. It will depend on the amount of fluid. The sooner you have barely anything draining thats when they'll come out. DO NOT try to rush it or tell the doc you have less than you do. Make sure someone travels with you. The first day to two days you really will want someone to help you with just basic things ; positioning yourself in bed, food prep, ANYthing that would take arm pressure. After about a week, you'll feel pretty good but dont' think for a second you're "healed" . Its at least a month before they release you to "normal activity"; carrying a backpack falls under that catagory. Heck for the first week to two weeks theres a five pound weight restriction. Let your friends know its time to demonstrate their intense friendship; "carry books anyone?"

added in: the plane. Ask Garramone to tell you how soon he thinks it would be safe to be on a plane. (Its the air pressure you would be concerned about.) I know peeps do the "medical tourism" thing, but honestly, I heard on a medical program that IDEALLY you would wait 30 days. That being the case, ask him.

We talk about the surgeries so much that its easy to get the idea its "a walk in the park". Surgery is surgery. You really will have been cut. And not in a "tiny , unaffecting" type way.

Guest AndrewK

This is delayed so you might already have your answer but I figured I'd respond anyway...

I'm getting top surgery with Dr. Garramone on Friday, June 11. My mother and I are flying down Thursday June 10th...and I have a post-op appointment to get my drains out the following Thursday in the morning. I will be flying back home to NJ after that post-op appointment. He said it'd be about 6 weeks before I should lift anything heavy. barely 4 weeks is probably not long enough for you to be wearing a backpack...try to ask your friends for help for at least the first week.

I did question Garramone about the issue of post-op problems since I'm from NJ... he said as long as I have a primary care doctor or a hospital or something I can go to up here, he could work with them over the phone if necessary... for instance, if you got an infection or something, he could tell them a specific anti-biotic to give you. stuff like that.

• 1 month later...
Guest Joe Joe

I will be having surgery with Garramone on June 18th...the drains come out the following thursday and i will fly back to VA on the next day. Garramone said some people flyout the same day the drains come out.

Guest StrandedOutThere

A lot of this depends on you and how quickly you heal up. I've found that those of us (like myself) that had more tissue taken out, seem to take a little longer to get back to 100%. For me, it was around a month before I started to feel normal again. I think it was more like 6 weeks before I was back to pre-surgery levels of functioning.

Guest Evan_J

(Thinks back.....) Yeah, I could see walking onto a plane the day the drains come out (but why rush) although not carrying anything. lol Make the person who says they came to help you do just that. Trust me bro. Cuz the "back to normal functioning" is actually what Stranded is describing. 6-8weeks. (8 for me- I'm a baby and have no problems with behaving like one if I think its gonna hurt me over the long haul to over work)

Guest StrandedOutThere
(Thinks back.....) Yeah, I could see walking onto a plane the day the drains come out (but why rush) although not carrying anything. lol Make the person who says they came to help you do just that. Trust me bro. Cuz the "back to normal functioning" is actually what Stranded is describing. 6-8weeks. (8 for me- I'm a baby and have no problems with behaving like one if I think its gonna hurt me over the long haul to over work)

Another reason to be chill for 6 to 8 weeks is that raising your arms up too soon can stretch the scars. No one wants THAT!

Guest Leigh

i have no input on this, as i've yet to have top surgery myself. but Dr. Garramone has been one of the surgeons i've been looking at, so i'll be interested to hear how things go. best wishes.

peace&love

Guest Batsu Maru Otoko Yo!

I'll be eagerly awaiting your results as well...I'm trying to decide between Dr. Garramone and Dr. Fischer (in Maryland). Either one will require me to stay out-of-town for at least a week, but Dr. Garramone is less expensive for the actual surgery. If his work is just as good, which it looks like it is, I might go with him instead.

• Forum Moderator
My drains came out at 5 days. Typically you'll hear it can be 7-10 days. It will depend on the amount of fluid. The sooner you have barely anything draining thats when they'll come out. DO NOT try to rush it or tell the doc you have less than you do. Make sure someone travels with you. The first day to two days you really will want someone to help you with just basic things ; positioning yourself in bed, food prep, ANYthing that would take arm pressure. After about a week, you'll feel pretty good but dont' think for a second you're "healed" . Its at least a month before they release you to "normal activity"; carrying a backpack falls under that catagory. Heck for the first week to two weeks theres a five pound weight restriction. Let your friends know its time to demonstrate their intense friendship; "carry books anyone?"

added in: the plane. Ask Garramone to tell you how soon he thinks it would be safe to be on a plane. (Its the air pressure you would be concerned about.) I know peeps do the "medical tourism" thing, but honestly, I heard on a medical program that IDEALLY you would wait 30 days. That being the case, ask him.

We talk about the surgeries so much that its easy to get the idea its "a walk in the park". Surgery is surgery. You really will have been cut. And not in a "tiny , unaffecting" type way.

Evan, I totally agree with you. Hving a Double M is NOT a walk in the park thing. It's a very serious surgery. Anything can go wrong and sometimes it does. But the most important aspect to approaching it is a Positive Attitude!!! This is a must! ou will need this sttitude when you begin coming to in your hospital bed.

First off, I came to in the recovery room,sat up and tried to reach the barf pan; scared the heck ouuta the nursing staff. Next time I came to, I was in my room. I didn't feel any chest pain, pulled down the sheet, saw the big badage and knew that it was over- passed out again.

The next morn, the nurse came in to give me a bath. But, I insisted on walking into the batroom and doing it myself. But, I made her push the IV cart. I also held onto her. They took the IV needle out of my neck in the afternoon. I also sat up in the chair a little bit. The drs came into see me and check the dressing and my "bullets" [ drains- as they are called\

The second day, I did the bath thing and went for a short walk. Still no pain, so I refused to take any more pain shots. In actuality, I took several walks that day and when I looked into a full length mirror and saw that I was flat-chested, I woulda danced if I could have lol.

The 3rd day the drs came in and checked me out. The usual questions. In fact, I had all kinds of strange visitors, wihing me the very best. I got released the next day.

That was the easy part. Now, the real process of healing began. I was told not to lift anything over a pound, not to streatch my arms upwards and to protect my chest at all costs. I wasn't allowed to carry my books to classes, no sports,no sex, no nuthin honey! But, to be honest, I didn't feel like much of anything by the time I'd sat through a lecture or two.

The next drs visit, they informed me that I had 242 stitchs in my chest and that they had lost for for quite a few minutes during the surgery. Now, that'll put a cold chill down your spine.

It did take me several months before I got back up to power. I was in my 40s when this all took place. So, in all probability, anyone who has this surgery is going to feel weak as a kitten the first week or so. Make someone carry your books. DO Not be a fool and rip out your stitchs; it ain't worth being macho over!! In a crowd or when someone tries to hug you, protect your chest area, as it will be extrememly tender; one small blow or bump could put you on your kness very quickly. Just like when a dude gets sucker-punched you know where.

Mike

• 1 month later...
Guest Miles

Thank you all for responding!!!

My surgery has actually been moved to this July 21st! 3 WEEKS! And I'll be 5 weeks before I go back to school, so I might ship more stuff (rather than carry it on the plane) than usual. But things like books shouldn't be a problem, because at most I'll have to carry my laptop.

Everything you guys said was very helpful. :)

-Miles

• 4 months later...