• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Buff Or Skinny?

Guest AlexanderG

Guest AlexanderG

Guys around me over here in 'real life' so to speak all talk about going to the gym and buffing up and such. So I'm getting the general impression I'm the oddball for not particularly wanting that. I'd rather be a skinny dude.

What about you guys on here?

Good Topic Alexander!

I am looking forward to seeing how many guys want to be really buff or just a little more toward the average guy - the girls seem to aim for super model.

I for one am not overly impressed with really buff guys.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Donna Jean

Well, Hon................

Buff guys are fun to look at.....

But, I'm not impressed with that sort of thing!

Arnold Schwarzenegger was built like a brick convenience, but I saw a pic of him in swim trunks recently and everything has fallen down...YUCK!

You just be yourself, Hon......

Hugs

Donna Jean

Guest Elizabeth K

My impression? BUFF turns to FAT really easily. I think it is an excuse to eat a lot of foods.

Lizzy

DANG - all the girls answered!

WHERE ARE THE GUYS?

Guest CrimsonEdge

I'd absolutely HATE to buff up, even after I start T!! I don't want to be really bulky, I just want to be physically strong. And strength is as much about training your muscles properly as it is about increasing muscle mass. But I'd certainly want enough bulk to be able to impress the girls ;)

Guest hayden_jude

I am destined to never be buff. This is primarily because (1) I don't want to put forth the effort to actually go to the gym everyday & buy those expensive muscle-building things & all that, and (2) I just really don't care that much. I'd rather just be who I am, whoever that turns out to be. Physical strength would be nice, because I'd like to maybe beat my best friend in arm wrestle one day :), but it's not something I really need.

I am like you. Pretty much unconcerned. Plus, as some of the girls have said, I am really not all that impressed with overly buff guys. Sometimes they are nice to look at, but I don't want to be one of them.

Guest MrAwesome

I want to be average looking, I really don't want to be this huge bulky guy, I want some muscles, and I want to be strong, but I want to be 'lean' most of all...

Guest JeanVier

Good question. Even after I get hormones, I do not think I will ever be a muscle-man-- and that is fine with me. My ideal body would be somewhere between a male dancer and a skinny scene kid. Sinewy, not muscle-y; long, somewhat-defined muscles, not bulky, see-every-tendon muscles.

-JV

Guest Quinn

Haha, if I were to get buff, at the height of 5'3, gosh would I look like I was compensating for something.

Anyways, realistically...no, I don't want to get buff. It doesn't really look attractive to me. Plus, once my rear-end and bits-of-hips go down with T a bit, I'll be a pretty small guy. I do want my arms to be a bit more defined - I'm working on that now. And I also don't really want a six pack, but I want a strong core. I don't want to be "soft" in my stomach, I guess. I want to feel that muscles are there, and be lean and in shape, but not bulging with muscles and "buff".

Guest Bunny

Healthy... I'm going for that. I'm skinny, mostly, I have a belly I would like to get rid of though. I'd just like to be fit enough to not pant going up or down stairs or chasing my two year old nephew around lol.

Granted I could never spend the amount of time working out to be that buff, bad hands, hobbies that take up time that would have to be spent in the gym. Nah I'm good without that lol.

Plus, I'm not built to look even mildly good with that much muscle mass on me. Being able to move a dresser around only needing a little help is my goal, pretty much. lol. Low standards!

Guest My_Genesis

I want to be somewhat average. I am thin to begin with and my arms are fairly muscular to begin with - I guess I want to enhance that. I don't like working out now b/c it makes me more dysphoric, but once I start T and can pass as male, I want to start working out routinely. However, you can be thin and still be in shape and somewhat buff (like i said, my arms can kinda demonstrate that) I guess you can call it an athletic build? Not football player buff, more like outdoorsy buff. haha.

Guest BrandonIThink

I don't feel I would look good if I built up the muscle mass, with my being 5'3(and a half!!)"

But I wouldn't want it anyway....I always thought it was kind of weird, but my preferred body type is skinny, for myself and in other guys. Second to that are guys who are lean (I think that's the right word), like, with a little definition. I don't mind a little but once it gets to the point where you could cross your eyes and still pick out the individual lines of his muscles, I actually find it to be a turn-off. (I have used 'crossing your eyes and....' as a comparison an unbelievable number of times in the past few weeks....XD) Just my opinion ;)

Guest joeytheman16

I don't want to be huge muscular, but I want some muscle. Kind of like Channing Tatum in Step Up. Muscular but not over done like Arnold.

Just my thoughts!

Joey

Guest insanitylives
WHERE ARE THE GUYS?

Lurking away from the glittery pink? lol JK

(There's the "Classic Blue" option for that :P)

Anyway personally neither.

I'm not a body builder, and I'll never be one. But I want that level of definition most guys have by doing nothing.... if that makes sense. Not the fact that even though I have muscle it's hard to notice because *something* has to be in the way *cough*stupidestrogen*cough*

Get rid of the soft nearly squishy look thing.

I think someone said dancer... yeah, that. lol I'd add "swimmer, male" into that too actually.

EVAN!

I thought we had made a pact about not mentioning fat stomachs!

I love you anyway,

Sally

Guest StrandedOutThere

Not to brag... but I kinda accidentally got buff.

At first I was working out to prepare for top surgery. All I wanted was to lose some weight and give the surgeon something to work with (scar placement is better if you have a little muscle definition). Yesterday my friend asked me if I was trying to be all giant. I totally was not. However, apparently my chest muscles are big enough that people notice. It probably didn't help that I was wearing an uber-preppy Hollister polo shirt.

To some extent, one's tendency toward "buffness" depends on genetics. I know people who work out more than me, are definitely stronger, and still don't look any bigger. Fun fact: part of building strength comes from more efficient use of muscle. This means that you can get stronger way before you look any bigger. :)

Evan, our mutual friend Raymond claims he hasn't been working out (or at least said this last time I asked). Still, the man looks buff. What's up? You think he's working out in secret or got a lucky hand from the genetic grab bag?

Guest Evan_J
Not to brag... but I kinda accidentally got buff.

Yes, we know you rat illegitimate child ( :P ) (he reallly is though y'all :mellow: )

I think Ray was already is shape long before transition. The T just shifted his fitness.

Guest StrandedOutThere
Yes, we know you rat illegitimate child ( :P ) (he reallly is though y'all :mellow: )

I think Ray was already is shape long before transition. The T just shifted his fitness.

B)

It doesn't help that all the ladies are all after me either... *sigh*

I'm messing with you.

Guest harvester52

I'll admit... I want to be buff. After top surgery, (whenever that happens to be...) I plan to work out a lot. I've always been proud of my muscle, but right now, even though I'm on T, I don't work out all that much because, like others have said, I get a lot of chest dysphoria when I work out. ><