• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

I Need Help Dressing Normally

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Guest praisedbeherhooves

I have a fairly unusual fashion sense. I want to get into activism and I don't want my style to distract from the message. I am against consumerism so I refuse to follow trends. I also refuse to use animal products or support sweatshop labor and I only buy ethically or from thrift stores. If I dress like a slob I will send the message that anti-consumerism means you must look messy. I have some normal clothing but not a lot. I'm not trying to look like everyone else, though that will probably be the result. I am trying to dress in a way that will make people take me and my points seriously. I am planning to donate my unacceptable clothing to thrift store in or perhaps sell it on ebay if I need to buy a lot more clothing. I am sixteen so I can't go the easy way and wear suits daily. Any advice?

Guest Elizabeth K

I have a simnilar problem in the fact I am a design professional and have to meet people who wear 'suits,' and I have clients that spend big $$$ and dont wanna see a scudzy dresser, yet I walk muddy and dusty construction sites too.

And on top of that I am MTF and transitioning, feminized face and long hair. HOW TO PASS male to some - wear my gender approriate clothing and look sharp?

I pony tail my long hair and wear turquoise necklaces, bracelets and rings - a lot of sterling silver too - I tell people that now I am older I am going back to my Native American roots (I am 1/4 Melungeon - which is associated with the Cherokee). It also explains no beard, high cheekbones and super smooth skin (go figure).

BUT I wear my girl penny loafers, no socks, and my girl dark blue skinny jeans (which are usually read as gender neautral).

The key to looking sharp everyday? An expensive pure white, dress shirt! Some that I wear have french cuffs and expensive cuff links. And I wear them open collar with the turquoise beads showing. my bracelets showing at the cuffs - spectacular! It's formal enough for business, and I don't get my good clothes muddy. Except for the shirt (which is really gender neutral because I buy the super soft kind) - all is women's clothing.

Changing to female mode? Put in my earrings, a little lipstick, sling my purse over my shoulder - there I go!

It works for me. Would work for a Tguy... as you could keep your jeans and shoes. And white dress shirts are rather easy to find - even a man cut blouse would work.

Just keep it crisP and clean!

Lizzy

• 1 month later...
I have a fairly unusual fashion sense. I want to get into activism and I don't want my style to distract from the message. I am against consumerism so I refuse to follow trends. I also refuse to use animal products or support sweatshop labor and I only buy ethically or from thrift stores.

Me Too!! I know it's different as a girl, but i prefer to buy from a thrift store, add patches, fabric paint, flair out legs, or do anthing else i can to make something old cool again. I get alot of complements on my clothing and jewelry that i make/remake. I would suggest a clean t-shirt and jeans in your case ( I turned a Dead Kennedys T-shirt into a low rise v-neck pretty easily.)

Just Use your imagination. You're obviously a pretty conscious person. Don't let that go to waste on buying a suit and tie (yuck) I'm sure with some thought and a little creativity, you'll be able to dress well in a way that is comfortable for you.