• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Hi Guys. I'm Very Scared

Guest Precious L

Guest Dennis S.

Hi guys, it's me DJ and I want to express a concern that I'm having. I often have second thoughts about being changing my gender: mostly it's because I might not be able to get a decent job when I grow up. I want to get a good job, like police officer, doctor, or a full time EMT. Or maybe a job with the US government. I want to help out people any way I can. I love to help people. It's a passion that I have, along with education. I believe that I have a smart head on my shoulders and I want to use it through this transition. I often ask myself, almost everyday, will I get a good job or will I be jobless? Will I have a home or will I be homeless? Will I be loved or will I be scorned? I am basically afraid for my future. I want to do whatever I can to get a good job.

Thanks

Guest Elizabeth K

You are still the same person - same talents, same intelligence. Women get good jobs all the time - after all, we make up half the world!

Get your education - then worry! It's the American Way!

Lizzy

Guest ~Brenda~

Dearheart :)

Now, just relax and take a deep breath :) Everything will turn out OK for you. Continue to simply be yourself. Whether you transition or not, always do your best in everything that you do. Success will come to you if you take ownership in every endeavor that you pursue. Transitioning will not hinder you nor will your success hinder your transitioning :) Who you are will always remain.

Love

Brenda :)

Guest Donna Jean
I often ask myself, almost everyday, will I get a good job or will I be jobless? Will I have a home or will I be homeless? Will I be loved or will I be scorned? I am basically afraid for my future. I want to do whatever I can to get a good job.

Thanks

Dear one.....

Make room on that bench you're sitting on, because I think that you'll find most everyone in here feels the same!

Everyone has some fear of the future...Especially us Trans folk....

No one can say that we'll get a good job, or for that matter, stay in the one that we have...

It's not fair, but right now, it's life..Yeah, it sux out loud....

We have to prepare ourselves if we can...the younger ones need to stay in school and get a good education...us older ones need to go for the federal, state and corporate jobs that have protections for us...And, those of us that are my age or so (60) just need to hold on to the jobs that we have for dear life!

You mention Police officer, doctor or EMT...all of those jobs are open to us in most places..

You are young....Get educated and make yourself saleable...then you'll have no worries, transitioned or not!

We all fear the future...but, you can stack the cards in your favor!

Huggs

Donna Jean

• Admin

Dennis, I agree with what everyone has said.

Things sometimes change slowly, and not at the same rate in all places. But they do change, hon. I'm old enough to have witnessed amazing social changes in

the world.

Yes, there are still problems, yes, transpeople are among the last to be openly and legally discriminated against, but even that is changing. New laws protecting us

are passed every year in different states, cities and communities, and companies large and small are enacting policies to protect against discrimination of TG workers.

Government is one of the best places for transpeople to be hired or to transition on the job. The Federal and many state and local governments have good policies

in place to protect our rights. Private industry won't be far behind.

So go into whatever field you want, hon. You'll be fine.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Jean Davis
Make room on that bench you're sitting on, because I think that you'll find most everyone in here feels the same!

Huggs

Donna Jean

WOW! Dee Jay.

That's going to be a very long bench. :lol:

But now on to the matter at hand. ;)

I agree with Dee Jay on this, most of us worry about those same issues. The best advice I can offer is to take things slow and educate yourself on the choices you encounter in life. Making informed decisions is the best way to dictate how your future progresses. ;)

LUV

Jean