• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Steampunk

My dear ladies, gentlemen and other beautiful crewmembers, if I may beg your respective indulgences for but a moment to break with tradition and post a thread that contains neither angsty rant nor ranty angst...

Does anyone here, like yours truly, enjoy a good bit of steampunkery?

I've found, amongst the pseudo-Victorian fashion, syntax and roleplay, a certain (and when I say 'certain' I mean 'significant') degree of relief from the dysphoria that otherwise plagues our lives.

For the uninitiated amongst our crew, please allow me to explain:

Steampunk is like Victorian life - the clothing, sensibilities, social ranks, art, wars, empires (primarily British, God save the Queen), sometimes (but not always or necessarily) gender roles, cities, industrialism, everything - but with modern technology driven by steam and clockwork. Computers*, trains, airships (including airpirate ships**. Air pirates may not speak like traditional pirates, but who needs to with air ships??), giant Indian-manufactured submarines and so on. So like Leage of Extraordinary Gentlemen and Stardust (sorry, both very gendered examples. :mellow: Upon my word of honour, ladies, steampunk women are kickarse too!). It involves large amounts of leather, shiny brass, the odd bit of swordplay (guns are generally out, sorry), tophats and/or corsets, lots of cogs, regular tea-drinking (God save the Queen), goggles, exploration of new lands, and general over-the-top Britishness (God save the Queen).

So how is this gender escapist?, you may wonder. Firstly, as it doesn't actually exist, and, indeed, never did exist, it's all roleplay/imagination. Meaning that *everyone* is pretending, meaning that being yourself and not your birth sex is hardly noticeable amongst the tophatgoggles (yes, they exist) and other (quite frankly) bizarre creations.

Secondly, a lot of the time, particularly when spoken to as a group, one's last name only is used. So none of this 'Miss' or 'Mrs' nonsense for the gents (not sure for the ladies, sorry), just "Jones, Williams, English, Doveton - my hat is off" (for example). I am aware that it does sound rather inconsequential, but for those gentlemen members of the crew sick of being erroneously addressed as "Miss", when this happens (*coughFacebookcough*) and one is not even trying to pass but is still addressed in such a non-feminine manner, one does tend to feel relieved of the angst and depression.

It is thus that I came to realise my love of steampunk. The brass knobs and cogs caught my attention initially, nigh simultaneously followed by swordsandairpirateshipszomgf!!!, but the true love set in when I realised that because 1) everyone uses their imaginations and 2) everyone thus creates their own characters (and 3) it is so deliberately profoundly British (God save the Queen) and thus, generally, almost overly well-spoken/written and gramatically correct), it afforded the opportunity to not be seen or addressed (online, at any rate) as a woman. "Give a man a mask and he'll tell you the truth": everyone else may be pretending, but within their fictitious world I can be me, introduced as a man (or, as on Facebook, not) and addressed as such. Even when wandering around in the real world, something small (like, for example, a chunky leather cogtastic Steampunk watch!) helps ease the dysphoria (I suppose because it reminds me of that. I think).

At any rate, to finally return to the original point and question - does any other esteemed crewmember find similar dysphoria relief through the coggy imaginative joys of steampunk? (Or, for that matter, anything else?).

Your most devoted tea-loving servant,

~ Captain Remus

Guest Donna Jean

Oh, My Dear, Reamus!

Outstanding post!

I think that steampunk is awesome, although I don't participate!

I hope that you get some cool replies here...

I want to read more!

HUggs...

Donna Jean

Hey Remus,

That is very interesting but I have one question - how did you get that picture of my computer?

Love ya,

Sally (an anachronism in my own time)

Guest Bunny

...Stupid computer! Okay well I had something nice and intelligent all written out and the stupid thing opted to restart on me (Reason why I hate windows #... Oh I lost count years ago)

Anyways!!! I think steampunk and cyberpunk are both ways where, in roleplay(though roleplay of any kind can still apply) gender can become anything you want it to. Down to easily portraying ones self without gender at all or heck, without being honestly human. Which could bring you into scifi and thats a whole extra can or worms!

I have a personal preference of both the bright end of cyberpunk and the grittier, steampunk-esc end of it but. Same deal different coating, right? I think its similar to the (general) freedom of portraying yourself as anything you're more comfortable as in writing.

On the other hand, one I've never personally expierenced though lets face it, things like this happen, one can be made to feel worse by these things when returning to the "real" world and not be what they're comfortable else or seen as what they're still trying portray themselves as.

And that is my less well written, windows at my post, version of what I think. Sorry for the typos, I have no spell check. XD

-Bunnywhocurrentlyhatestechnology

Guest Elizabeth K

Remus

A wonderous way to be! As a believer in kerosene lighting (prefered over electricity) and steeped in Anglophilism (such a word ever exist?) I venture to such places in my reading - though not enough of that exists in my choice of type - science fiction. Alternate History does a good approximation (where the Confederacy defeated the Norther Aggressors) - the mundane is not my choice of tea-in-cup! I live in a city founded in 1717, heavily olden and steeped in elegant ruin - I ride the waves of the past like a surfing fool!

So call me Kensworth and place me on an airship, but I warn you now, I do no heavy lifting, and my weapons of choice are a concealed dirk- and an equally sharp wit!

Corsets are torture chamber holdovers, so restrict me only in sailor's togs with a blousy white top, cut open at the shoulders so allow freedom to swing a line (or a blade) - or entice a mate...! And my earrings No simple pirates gold loops! Instead pure gold pendante encrusted with gemstones pried from the eyes of primative Indian idols in jungle grottos - other ornaments and my embroidered pumps? Secured (stolen?) from colonies belong to her Majesty!

Still - I am a child of British America (and never trust those shifty French America dandies)! Although British to my Victorian core, treat me with respect as my edges are sharp, even as my breasts are soft... do not misjudge me! I do the work of any man - and with twice the skill. [And pleasant to view upon as well, so I am told)

Run up the skull and bones - fire the furnices full up for steam - there are treasures to be wrested from the undeserving!

Bess

Guest Quinn

As of right now, not being a roleplayer anymore...I can only really appreciate steampunk, because I'm not quite sure how one rightfully participates without being a roleplayer. I guess it can be a sort of fashion sense (and dang do I love top hats and goggles) but it'd be a hard one to keep up day after day...

Anyways. I love the look of steampunk. It's brilliant. I'd totally wear this watch. And I'd also love have this guitar.

In any event, I could totally understand the escapism aspect to steampunk. It's pretty brilliant, so while I can't say I'm particularly involved myself, you could definitely say that I still really appreciate and adore it.

...here, have a cake.

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Steampunk is amazing :D but I don't know how to get into the culture, nor can I afford any of the clothing. T.T Still, it looks greata nd I love the music.

Guest Larson

I LOVE STEAMPUNK!

I've never gotten into the roleplay side of it. I'll have to do some research into this....

I do, however, adore the fashion and overall aesthetics of steampunk. A friend of mine was smoking from a tobacco pipe the other night and I went crazy over how steampunk it looked. She didn't understand what steampunk was and ended up selling it to me because I was clearly more crazy about it than she was. #WIN

Guest Evan_J

*runs off to find out what steampunk is.

But it sounds entirely cool.

**wistfully remembers the days of youth and how cool he once thought it would be to be British (God Save the Queen, of course...lol)

Guest hayden_jude

Steampunk rocks. I am like Praised, though - not into the roleplay and can't afford anything else. But I like the look of it & the concept & the idea. Pirate airships....How much cooler do you get, right?

Guest SpaceyCasey

I LOVE steam punk! For some reason I just really like how it romanticizes something technical, and makes it so fantastic. That, and being an engineer, it really appeals to me since I love watching gears and machines and whatnot work. :lol:

To give you an example, I just bought the earrings and necklace attached to this post! What better way to say "I'm a transgendered rocket scientist" than with a steam punk butterfly necklace!

Sorry sorry, I know this is the FtM section... but us girls like it to! :D

• 1 month later...
Guest Chrysee

Greetings,

I'm Chrysee (short for Chrysalis)and am new to this site. And this is my 'maiden post.' As well (and I can't imagine why saying this wouldn't be acceptable) I am fifty eight years and only two months ago finally. . .FINALLY!. . .came out.

That said, to the point.

I have been obsessed with the world of Steampunk since the mid Eighties. At the time, I was illustrating (my profession) a role playing game set in the world of future sci. fi. When asked by the person in charge of the project my opinion of it, I commented that my real love was Victorian Sci.. Fi. Smiling, he directed me towards Space 1889. The next day I purchased a hard back copy of the roles. This is now a collector's item and remains and relatively mint condition.

Now a week ago, my mother succumbed to complications caused by unsuccessful cancer surgery. The following day, in trying to calm myself beyond what the idiot medicine the doctor provided could do, I decided that I needed some new music. And thought it had never crossed my mind before (?!) I went in search of steampunk music. Within seconds, I was introduced to Abney Park. After savoring a fistful of videos on Youtube, I dropped by the Itunes store. The remainder of the day now had it's own soundtrack: three wonderful albums by this fascinating band.

The next day, it occurred to me that, as the band was just up the road in Seattle, there would seem to be a chance that they'd come to town at least some time. Turns out, they were scheduled to play a local club in just five days.

And so, last Friday, the 11th., I and my partner attended. I have always lived a rather isolated life: I know no other genderqueers nor steampunkers. However, a couple of nights ago I and my partner stood at the edge of the stage, savoring the performance of Capt. Robert and his crew, and waded through a sea of steampunkers. There were even vendors' tables along the edge of the room selling every sort of steampunk accessory.

If my mom was looking down, though shocked at how I was dressed, I'm sure, she would have been pleased to see how I was getting on with life.

Steampunk offers a superb setting for androgyny, with ample room to move in any direction, swaddled in a gritty grace and pennydreadful romance that is sure to inspire.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Capt. Sartorious

Ether Flyer 'The Priscilla'

Guest Donna Jean

Hello, Chrysee...

Welcome to the Playground....

I'm Donna Jean

I also started my transition at 58 (60 now...)

I would of moved your post over to the introductions forum, but, it's mostly about steampunk...so, here will do...

Now, I'd like to ask you to be sure to have a look at the forum rules...there's a link at the top of most pages...It says “Terms & Conditions..

And, we moderate this site to keep it safe for everyone..

It's nice to have you!

Huggs...

Donna Jean

Guest thefireship

Count me in as a steampunk fan. What I lack in attire I make up for in quirky antique devices.

As far as having things like this to help curb dysphoria, I have my art and characters that I write about. I'm able to get closer to the real me through all of it, the writing especially, which -was- a bit of an issue before I accepted myself (cause I'd hit the stage after so many writing sessions of feeling like I'd only ever live as The Narrator, which can get kinda depressing) but now its not nearly as bad since I am doing something about my life. :)

I used to do more online RP too but stopped so I could focus on writing for my stories, but when I did RP, oh man.. Total escapism. Its probably for the better that I stopped!

Guest NatashaJade

I'm slowly learning everything I can about Steampunk. I think it's awesome. My wife and I are making a Steampunk inspired jacket and the Shakespeare play I'm directing in the fall is going to be Steampunk-themed.

luv

Gin

Guest AlexMichel

I TOTALLY dig the steampunk style/scene. XD

I have a friend who I made a steampunk 'club' with when I was in high school. We were the only members and we never got past finding an awesome pair of boots and some goggles, but it was an awesome idea at the time. I like to sew clothing, and was going to make pimped-out Victorian riding coats for us to wear, but I never actually did..

I might do that this summer... Sew up some gentleman's garments.

I would sooo be an aeronaut. XD

Guest AlexMichel

Another of my guilty pleasures is cyber/industrial/gothic clothing. PVC, goggles, fishnet, and dreadfalls make the world go 'round. Actually, I think that most of the appeal comes from the androgyny of some of the styles. Granted there are subtle differences between men and women's clothing in these alt fashions, I think that the lines between male and female are quite squiggly and thin.

When I was in high school this style was my savior. I felt more comfortable dressing 'strangely' than I did dressing like a girl. I was happier to be seen as odd, weird, scary, intimidating, unapproachable, etc. than pretty or feminine.

My gothic and alt. style definitely was something that made life a little less ridiculous. It helped me get through some of the most difficult times of my life and also did a little bit of opening my mom's mind so that she understood that I was different. I think that if she didn't have the transition from girl to androgynous goth girl to androgynous goth boy to boy, it might have been more horrible coming out than it was... and it was pretty horrible.

Yay for open-mindedness!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Chrysee

Okay, I don't know how long this thread has remained dormant, but I found something I thought worthy of sharing. Now this involves providing a link, but it is not to something for sale, political, religious, or in any way controversial in any harmful respect. The name of the site is The Great Steampunk debate. Specifically, they have a thread that has grown considerably wherein the subject of Steampunk and gender gets analyzed. Thought it might be intriguing for those of us here that gravitate towards both.

Here ya go:

/www.greatsteampunkdebate.com/forum

Hope I've not violated anything, as I have read the rules and believe this is okay.

Enjoy!

Guest Nikki A

steampunk is the reason i love making anything!! like you have no idea how much i love steampunk anything. the books might be my favorite tho, that is true escapism, steampunk literature for the humble basement inventor/engineer

hugs, Nikki

Guest Nikki A

Another of my guilty pleasures is cyber/industrial/gothic clothing. PVC, goggles, fishnet, and dreadfalls make the world go 'round. Actually, I think that most of the appeal comes from the androgyny of some of the styles. Granted there are subtle differences between men and women's clothing in these alt fashions, I think that the lines between male and female are quite squiggly and thin.

When I was in high school this style was my savior. I felt more comfortable dressing 'strangely' than I did dressing like a girl. I was happier to be seen as odd, weird, scary, intimidating, unapproachable, etc. than pretty or feminine.

My gothic and alt. style definitely was something that made life a little less ridiculous. It helped me get through some of the most difficult times of my life and also did a little bit of opening my mom's mind so that she understood that I was different. I think that if she didn't have the transition from girl to androgynous goth girl to androgynous goth boy to boy, it might have been more horrible coming out than it was... and it was pretty horrible.

Yay for open-mindedness!

You should see my cyber goggles and platform boots! and perhaps my colored contacts (they add nicely) plus when i'm feeling cybergoth i like to add a little steampunk feel to it with my antique wwII gas mask!! i love this topic! tis me in a topic it is. bleh, i've posted too much in too little time on here! i should go take a breather!

hugs, Nikki

• Forum Moderator

Remus

Corsets are torture chamber holdovers, so restrict me only in sailor's togs with a blousy white top, cut open at the shoulders so allow freedom to swing a line (or a blade) - or entice a mate...! And my earrings No simple pirates gold loops! Instead pure gold pendante encrusted with gemstones pried from the eyes of primative Indian idols in jungle grottos - other ornaments and my embroidered pumps? Secured (stolen?) from colonies belong to her Majesty!

Bess

Oh Lizzy you have sorely disappointed me. No corset?? Even not laced tight?? You can't imagine what a corset can do for a girl.

Not that I ever want to see another one but it's not because it hurts-it can but that's up to the wearer-I'm just more interested in the velvet frock coat and top hats these days.

I want to angle my winter wardrobe that way -as much as I can myself. With the help of the internet.

I fervently wish there was a role playing venue within a couple of hours of here.

You want bears, deer, trees, mountains or fish this is your place. Roleplay?-Uh not.:(

But steampunk is definately cool!

Ravenwood here sir!

Guest Chrysee

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/thehobogod/Steampunk-Lincoln.jpg

this isn't quite what i picture steampunk as (considering abe lincoln isn't very british [god save the queen]) but it makes me laugh

as for the price of clothes, half the fun is making them yourself!

hugs, Nikki

Don't know if you've heard much Steampunk music, but i would like to recommend the band Abney Park. You might check out their latest c.d. 'Aether Shanties.' And if you ever get the chance to hear them live, no matter what, go! You' get steampunk music with tricked out steampunk instruments and fire eaters and fire dancers between sets. Plus, if it's at alol as it was here, you'll be surrounded by a bazillion steampunks in great outfits.

Guest Nikki A

Don't know if you've heard much Steampunk music, but i would like to recommend the band Abney Park. You might check out their latest c.d. 'Aether Shanties.' And if you ever get the chance to hear them live, no matter what, go! You' get steampunk music with tricked out steampunk instruments and fire eaters and fire dancers between sets. Plus, if it's at alol as it was here, you'll be surrounded by a bazillion steampunks in great outfits.

I didn't know there was steampunk music! I remember looking It up not finding anything! Lol that is awsome! I really really gotta check this out! Thnk you!

Hugs, nikki

Guest Chrysee

I didn't know there was steampunk music! I remember looking It up not finding anything! Lol that is awsome! I really really gotta check this out! Thnk you!

Hugs, nikki

Here are some other bands that Wikipedia lists as being steampunk: The Clockwork Cabaret, The Men That Will Not Be Blamed For Nothing, Rasputina, & Unextraordinary Gentlemen.

I haven't listened to all of them and can't personally say one way or the other.

Oh, I suggested that you check out Abney Park. You'll find a good selection on Youtube, though some are just those lame vids that are nothing but a shot of the disc cover while the song plays. However, there is a great one of 'Herr Drosselmeyer's Doll,' complete with the wind-up dancer.

Enjoy, and hugs back atcha!