• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Digit Ratio

Guest Chandra

Guest Chandra

Hello Everyone,

It seems some scientist's believe there is some significance between the lengths of index and ring fingers.

In a nut shell, women generally have longer index fingers than ring fingers, men the opposite.

Is this just an old wise tale, or do you think there might be something to it ?

As I look down at my fingers, both index fingers are longer than my ring fingers.

What do you think ?

This is where I got it from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digit_ratio

Love, Chandra

Guest ~Brenda~

Dearest Chandra :)

Some gender identity tests indicate that if one's ring finger is identitcal to one's index finger in terms of length then they are female.

Many people's index fingers are longer than their ring fingers. I am the opposite. My ring finger extends beyond my index finger (on both hands).

I am not worried :) I know that I am pre-disposed for kickin' guitar playing :)

The whole index vs ring finger thing is rediculous. The physical dynamics of all human beings are endless.

Love

Brenda

Guest Skylar

On my right hand my ring finger is longer but on my left hand they are the same size. haha I guess that explains why I questioned being androgynous or a ftm for the longest time. lol

Guest JeanVier

My ring fingers are both longer than my index fingers. *beams*

Yet, my cisgender male partner's index fingers are longer than his ring fingers, so it is certainly not 100%...

Thanks!

-JV

Guest Kieri

I'm pretty sure the digit ratio thing has been discredited as not consistent enough. There's enough natural variation so that it can't be relied on.

That said, do you all eyeball it? I can make the lengths look different in relation to each other just by holding my fingers in different natural positions.

For example:

-If I hold my fingers together, the index finger appears slightly longer than the ring finger

-If I hold my fingers slightly apart, the index finger appears the same length

-and if I hold my fingers even further apart the ring finger appears longer

Just for the sake of curiosity, I broke out a ruler. My right index finger is about 1 millimeter longer and my left is 2 millimeters shorter when measured as the wiki article describes. So there you have it, I am both male and female! :rolleyes:

Rumor-esque pseudo-medical things like this are really alienating and invalidating for people who don't necessarily fit the expectation.

I know; I have man-hands >_<

Guest Maelee
Dearest Chandra :)

Some gender identity tests indicate that if one's ring finger is identitcal to one's index finger in terms of length then they are female.

Many people's index fingers are longer than their ring fingers. I am the opposite. My ring finger extends beyond my index finger (on both hands).

I am not worried :) I know that I am pre-disposed for kickin' guitar playing :)

The whole index vs ring finger thing is rediculous. The physical dynamics of all human beings are endless.

Love

Brenda

I have to agree with Brenda. Useing physical comparison measurements to determine something about a person is way to general. Plus it sort of screams out to me as being a bad thing, very reminiscent of what the cup cake's did in WW2 to describe "races" of human and their hunt for the orgin of their "master race". There is even a type of astrology or numerology or something like that based off of physical measurements. Most of it I think is ridiculous. Heck, just by looking I can see a difference in my finger lengths from one hand to the other, so how could anything like this be accurate?

With that said though I have to say I have man hands too :( My left hand the index is shorter then the ring and on the right they are about the same. I also have big hands in general :( I can not even come close to wearing bangles, have never found any yet that I can get past my hands.

Love and *hugs*

Mae

I haven't bothered to measure.

Isn't it just this type of physical evidence that got us mislabeled in the first place?

Love ya,

Sally

• 11 months later...
  • Forum Moderator

Funny I came across this information on a scientific site today. And got completely sidetracked researching it-and it is pretty much an accepted scientific fact. The research and debate now is focused on why.

It is being used as further scientific proof that being transgender is from the womb because many-NOT ALL - TS have fingers that correspond to their gender identity rather than their assigned gender.

nn

I was not happy. My index finger looks longer than my ring finger. So I thought i had missed that validation (Don't we ever get enough validation folks? Nope!) But i read further and found the criteria for measuring the fingers and it isn't based on appearance but on the measurement from the fold at the base of the fingers -on the ring finger which can have 2 it is the closer one. And my ring finger is actually significantly longer than my index finger! Male pattern. My palms are tapered so that my ring finger sits lower than my index finger. I never thought about measuring till now.

Interestingly enough it has been found that primates share this characteristic and it is believed to be tied in to pre-natal androgen in some way. It is not 100% -it doesn't mean you aren't trans if yours aren't in the category for your gender identity. It is just a clue about conditions in your mother's womb that played a part if they do correspond.

But it IS proven science folks, whether we like the idea or not. I read a half dozen scientific papers on it this morning and saw sources for more cited. So much of what we are is influenced in ways that are just beginning to be hinted at as research becomes more focused on very specific gender determined characteristics.

Guest Mina89

I never thought about this before. Mine are almost equal, index about 1/16 inch longer from the base of the lowest fold. Whatever the truth is, I guess I correspond to the findings.

For all their unfortunate applications, ideas like phrenology and eugenics didn't come from some underground think tank of evil and catch on through propaganda. They had some semblance of reason driving them: certain biological characteristics tend to correspond to other characteristics. Not really all that counter-intuitive. No one would deny that biological men tend to have larger skeletons than biological women, but details like digit ratio are tempting to reject out of hand.

Of course, phrenology ignored the social factors at work in its theory of criminality: people of the same ethnicity tend to have similarly shaped heads for the same reason they share other features in common, and the heads deemed "criminal" in the United States tended to belong to people of Black, Irish, Polish,and Italian descent: the most impoverished groups and the most likely to live in the slums where cultures of crime flourished in those days. Eugenics came from the fact that some diseases are hereditary, and could be "bred out" if those carrying them did not breed. This was tainted by the racial mind of the time, who viewed way too much of human variation as a hereditary disease, such as Jewishness.

If any society wants to start a eugenics program against us, it does not need something like digit ratio to do it. Merely chasing down our medical records will make finding us and our descendants easy enough. I don't see anything wrong with science investigating possible common factors between body development and brain development. Isn't stuff like that what scientists are supposed to do? It's up to the rest of us to make an atrocity out of it.

-Valerie

• Forum Moderator

I agree Valerie.

Apparently what is driving some of this research is determining what genes are linked. In this case a gene that determines gender is also tied to finger ratio between those two fingers. It helps identify the gene and what it does. Which has all kinds of positive implications for health and medicine in the future as well as of course the potential for abuse.

One application that has been suggested for this information is that babies be screened for it because it isn't only transgender but other intersexed conditions that are indicated and a parent would know to be aware of possible problems. Think of the implications if we KNEW that a child was a different gender from their external genatalia from the beginning. First the stigma would be less-this is a medical situation then beyond doubt but the feelings of wrongness could be mitigated early on and the cross socialization avoided. So much pain and confusion avoided. Kids wouldn't face having to come out to parents in denial anymore. If nothing else brain scans could then also be done along with chromosome testing to catch all the conditions that cause gender issues. Parents would have the knowledge to understand who they child was from the beginning instead of investing in years of plans and dreams and beliefs that they are later anot always able to let go.

We screen for all kinds of conditions now and that has not led to any sort of eugenics program. Science is what it is and our denial or fear of the implications won't change or stop the research or the knowledge.

i was in a bar a long while ago . and that show mansers was on the TV there . and the episode " how do you tell if that woman is really a dude " was on and that very issues was posed and soon as it was every guy in the place looked at the nearest womans hands... lol

my index and ring finger on both hands are exactly the same length so is my moms and my sisters , and my female cousins . i think its more a genetics than anything . least in my family

Sakura

Guest Roxanna L

I'm down with the flu, but I couldnt resist checking around. So I'm miserable and sick... <_<

*Grabs the rollo-tape and starts measuring...*

Yay!! Ive got 75 millimeters on each index and ring finger! :)

Now I can be happy and sick.

(I know... weird...)

I won't be giving any hugs, because I don't want to infect anyone. :P

Anna

Guest Nick A

Well, I'm happy for everybody who can have this validation. I was hoping I'd be with you all, but I'm not. Both my index and ring fingers are measuring pretty much the same, which puts me in the average female category -- what I've been all of my life on the outside at least. Funny, as I've only ever been the "tomboy" type who loves all things masculine in colors and all that. I couldn't describe myself in the least as female, except for my body. And now my fingers tell the story of my mother's womb while she carried me and what I was exposed to (or not exposed to).

I gotta say, sucks for me. I know JJ you said not ALL transexuals/transgenders fit this category, but honestly, if I didn't get the androgen wash in the womb, why the heck is my ID male? I mean, seriously -- and not trying to come across and mad at this (it's all science after all), but I'm feeling so down right now. Ever since I've faced this Gosh darned demon 3 years ago (I'm 40 now), I've been wondering if it's all in my head while hoping I'd get some physical proof. The digit ratio thing would have been something. I think you said it best JJ...it seems we can never get enough validation.

The science behind the digit ratio seems solid. So again, I'm really wondering what is really wrong with me. How can I say my identity was formed because my brain got the second male wash in the womb, when it is obvious from my index/ring finger lengths that my mother had no excess androgens washing over me. I am so tired of trying to figure this out...coming close to feeling "free" and then, now, feeling like the worst thing in the world because I have no explanation. And the proof that I see moving over the keyboard is that all was "normal" in the womb.

I don't honestly know how I can climb out of this particular hole. Please do not say that this doesn't matter, because it obviously does. To have struggled my entire life with TG feelings always repressing, constantly aware only to finally face it head-on when to do otherwise would have been to kill myself, now it comes to me having to face it all over again, only this time there's nothing but female hands, female womb, no explanation, no validation. And now, just emptiness.

• Forum Moderator

Nick, the ratio is thought not to hold for all transpeople because the finger some women have more variation or at different times than others. It doesn't make you any less trans. the only thing that should bother you that much would be if an MRI also showed that you had a female brain. It;s not set in stone. Plus as said above there can be familial variations as well as differences in different geographical groups.

And you should have seen when my cis. daughter realized her hand are more masculine than most men! Since she carries her weight in a masculine way and has always been a tomboy but has no question at all about her gender identity she was miffed about it.

This is a difficult road we are on and we are often desperate for validation. But the only real validation is in your head. What you know to be so. Everything else is subject to variation and if you look outward for that validation then it will be a miserable roller coaster ride.

For all of us that voice sneaks in at times "What if this is all in my head?" or "I'm so imaginative, what if it's all my imagination?". I still have to fight that at times and I can clearly see 60 years of evidence I was born a man inside. The truth is that there will never be enough proof-all I really need is to have faith in my own judgment and ignore those doubts.

Easier said than done but I really think it is the only way that works. No one will have all the markers or characteristics. We are just too diverse for that.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   6 Members, 0 Anonymous, 102 Guests (See full list)

• missyjo
    • Stefi
    • Ashley0616
    • BUGFIEND
    • April Marie
    • MaeBe
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Tiffany Cross
    Newest Member
    Tiffany Cross

1. Alex Blitzen
      Alex Blitzen
    2. ARK
      ARK
      (37 years old)
    3. Beverley50
      Beverley50
      (58 years old)
    4. Em
      Em
    5. Jlandry1970
      Jlandry1970
    • missyjo
      easye, go for it sweetie. it sounds cute   just simple denim mini n blue top from the shop   hugs to all
    • Nicola_Atherton
      Thank you! Eager to find other writers and readers!
    • Davie
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kM753ilB8ns 41st Annual Long Beach Pride Parade, broadcast by NBC.  
    • MaeBe
    • Sally Stone
      I liked it, Mae.  No apologies necessary.  
    • MaeBe
      Sorry for the schlocky poetry, feeling a little moody.
    • Sally Stone
      Post 13 “My Compartmentalized Life” In the interest of “full disclosure” I thought I should point out that my part-time life is also a very compartmentalized life.  Long time friends and close family don’t know Sally.  Most of the acquaintances I have made as Sally, have never met my male persona, and only a few close friends, know both personas.  It sounds complicated, I know, but it happens to fit my current transgender lifestyle.  But, how did I get here?   It started years ago when I didn’t know why I felt like a girl.  The only choice I thought I had, was to keep my feelings, and the crossdressing that went along with it, a closely guarded secret.  My Army career forced me to be even more guarded, so the need for secrecy became a habit.  Later, I wanted to emerge from my closet.  I wanted Sally to experience the world but because I still didn’t understand my true transgender nature, I wasn’t ready to share my feminine side with people I knew.    As Sally’s social life expanded, it was only natural that her circle of friends and acquaintances would also expand.  This resulted in a situation where suddenly, I was simultaneously in and out of the closet.  My transgender life had become compartmentalized.  Again, because I didn’t know where my trans journey was taking me, keeping my feminine side a secret from close friends and family, was still the logical choice.  I knew the situation might change if my destination was going to be full transition, but I decided to cross that bridge if or when I came to it.   It would be many more years before I understood completely, my trans nature.  When it became clear to me that I could be happy and fulfilled living my life as a part-time woman, I didn’t have to cross the full transition bridge.  And, because I had become quite adept at keeping my two lives compartmentalized, I saw no benefit to changing things.  I was walking in two completely different worlds.  My male persona had his world with his acquaintances, and Sally had her own world, with her own acquaintances.  For a very long time those two worlds didn’t overlap, but a few years ago, that changed.   Through my New Jersey dinner group, Sally became close with a couple, one trans, the other her spouse.  My wife became good friends with them as well.  We went out together often, and because our friends only knew me as Sally, I always presented to them that way.  That was until one time, when my wife and I had a commitment earlier in the day that made it impossible for me to transform before we were scheduled to meet our friends for dinner.  My first reaction to the situation was to cancel.  I had this overpowering aversion to letting them meet my male persona.  My wife convinced me that my concern was silly.  Still, I was so spring-loaded to maintaining my compartmentalized life, I actually called my friends to ask them if they would be okay meeting my “alter-ego.” As if they would have said no.  It was a ridiculous concern, and of course, they were actually perfectly happy to meet my “other half."    It turned out that letting our friends meet and interact with my male persona wasn’t as terrifying as I had imagined, and since that initial reveal, I have come out the same way to more of Sally’s close friends.  It’s easier now, but still not natural for me.  I’d still rather Sally’s friends interact only with Sally.  I guess all the years of compartmentalizing my two personalities, has formed a habit that I struggle to break.    When it comes to family and longtime friends, they only know my male persona, and based on my current trans lifestyle, I have no plans to introduce Sally to them.  There just isn’t anything about the way I live my life right now, that would make it necessary.  I won’t deny that sometimes, because I’m hiding a big part of my personality, I feel like a bit of a fraud. After all, they aren’t seeing all of the real me. I do sometimes struggle with this conflict.  On the one hand, I want everyone to know the real me but on the other hand, why run the risk of alienating family members or long-time friends when it isn’t absolutely necessary?   Believe it or not, there have been some in the trans community, that have argued I’m not actually trans since I haven’t gone through the ordeal of coming out to family and friends, that I haven’t experienced the one true transgender right-of-passage.  I know it has been way more difficult for those who have had to face the coming out challenge with friends and loved ones, but the level of difficulty one experiences doesn’t define someone’s level of transness.  In a future post, I’ll reflect on an incident when I was called out publicly for not being trans enough, and how it affected my confidence and self-worth.   I do have some family members and longtime friends that I have seriously considered coming out to, and I may follow through at some point. But again, because I am part-time, the timeline for doing so is really up to me and my comfort level, instead of a matter of necessity.           It’s obvious that unlike so many in our community, I haven’t had to “face the music.” I know how gut-wrenching and life changing coming out to close acquaintances can be, so I do consider myself fortunate.  It is important to note that I have not chosen a part-time trans life just to avoid the pain and tribulations of coming out.  Living part-time honestly has to do with not having to choose between one personality over the other, because ultimately, I could never be happy or fulfilled if I had to choose only one.   Yes, my life is seriously compartmentalized, with Sally in one compartment and my male persona in another.  Based on where my trans journey has taken me up to this point, and where it looks like it is headed in the future, I don’t anticipate much of a change. Walking in two worlds is a choice that works for me.  I know I am different, but each of us is, so I don’t think I need to make any apologies for living my life this way.    Hugs,   Sally       
    • MaeBe
      Mourning the Boy   As I sit Pants at the knees The first tear hits Rolls down a slender wrist A wave of loss So profound As I come To mourn the passing Of the boy A boy that once was
    • VickySGV
      This was from my May 2018 Face Book post and a friend of mine IRL asked to use it on a blog spot for the Personal Stories Project which is an effort of love for he and his husband.   From Diversity To Sameness, A PRIDE Meditation    May 21, 2018   It is Pride season again, and on Saturday I was at the Pride event in Long Beach CA to help out the San Gabriel Valley LGBTQ Center which I volunteer at these days. This was the first of several events I will be going to over the next few weeks, and others stretching over the next month or two. One of the people I was with made the comment that “We really are a diverse group here!!” The comment got me thinking, and re-opened my eyes to something that has amazed me in the relatively few years I have recognized that I am part of the LGBTQIA**** (the letters keep adding on) alphabet soup of life that does and will exist. My friend was right about the scope of the diversity that does exist and is on display at Pride events without shame and yes, with PRIDE in what and who each individual really is. To many people Diversity is one of those concepts that ranks up with blasphemy against a deity and the most horrendous of demons the Evil One (human imagination) has ever created. A person who is different is to be hated, feared, shamed and made valueless. The fear of diversity fuels minds to pull away from others, and to protect themselves by taking on feelings of superiority and exclusiveness above the different person. For the most part people with those feelings are good people in many many ways, but the fear and false god of superiority they have created masks that goodness terribly. At Pride events such as the one I was at, the diversity is so intense and so visible that after a moment or two the differences become the sameness of those who participate in them. We celebrate our differences to achieve our sameness and oneness by mentally stripping off the visual differences that at first overload us and can be dizzying to the point of a feeling of sickness for some who fit the pattern I described above. With the sameness we become even more aware of the other person’s humanity, and begin to look for the good elements that we share and find them more readily. Our conversations become how to help each other and take that helpfulness beyond those immediately with us. We reassure ourselves of our value, and explore new ways to add to that value in all ways, not just for ourselves, but those of our fellow humans who fear us and thus hide themselves deeper and deeper from the good that we could share fully. The LGBTQIA**** margin is not the only place where this can be present. The reason for other Pride events such as cultural gatherings of people “othered” and devalued, or even those of persons with what are declared to be disabilities, or mental diversity do the same thing, and people of different margins, as well as those who consider themselves “mainstream” are invited to submerge themselves in those groups by the same process of celebrating the diversity that will create the sameness of humanity. One group though who has suggested that it hold massive “Pride” events does not suggest their pride to be a celebration of diversity within that group, but rather enforced rigidity of an imagined sameness for only that group. Where that has been tried in recent months, there has been universal tragedy in many ways, the least of which has been murder. A celebration of false arrogance and even more false superiority is a hell on earth, and not a thing of pride, only of tears that they are afraid to show. I could have been in this last group believing it’s agenda and set of beliefs, but I was not allowed to be there because of something strange and wonderful in me that I did not accept about my life for over 50 years until it was to celebrate or die with my Gender Dysphoria. Today it is so “ordinary” for me to see inside of the differences in the outsides of people that I forget the lesson I relearned this past week.   Pride and Peace be in your lives.
    • VickySGV
      I for one am actually pleased with how this one played out.  Local issues need to remain local and I am not on the States Rights bandwagon for all cases.  The facts of the matter did not constitute a case or controversy since the plaintiffs did not show actual or immediately impending harm to their children.  Now if the parents can show that the child had developed some type of sleep and eating disorder because they were in a bathroom with a Trans child or are involved in self harm over the idea (which is probably the parent's doing and not the school) then there might be something of a case or controversy for the court to take up.   I have six text books on U.S. Constitutional Law grinning down evilly at me that all say the SCOTUS should avoid this type of case, and shows where they have done it consistently for a couple of centuries. 
    • Ladypcnj
      When I was a kid growing up, I was considered the baby sibling of the family. I was often the last to know of everything, and since I wasn't old enough just yet to stay home by myself, I had to tagged along with my family members who drove their cars, this included going to church. I never knew other religions existed; all I knew was about the teachings of Christianity. It's easy to join a church, but what if things aren't what it appears to be than what is preached? Strange things began going on at the church in which group leaders didn't want the news media to know about it, such as an almost drowning during a baptizing among other things. The preacher/minister began to sense I wanted out of the cult. Followers that was nice to me in the beginning, was now talking behind my back, not encouraging me to find another church that I would feel more spiritually connected to.     
    • Ivy
      An option to opt out is one thing, but removing the content entirely (for everyone) is something different.  I don't think it's beneficial to isolate one's kids from the broader culture since they are going to have to live in it eventually.  If something about it bothers you, you need to explain why.  Pretending it doesn't exist is a disservice to them.   In my (and my ex's) more conservative past, we considered homeschooling.  But we also realized our kids had to live in the broader culture and needed the socialization. Two of my adult children do homeschool now.  I have mixed feelings about that. Another of them is a public school teacher.   I personally would prefer that scarce resources not be diverted from public education.  The current move against public education bothers me.  For many kids it's all they have. 
    • April Marie
      Looking in the mirror brings joy.   The woman smiles back at me.
    • Charlize
      Perhaps a bit of light might exist if i look at this as a further verification that simply disliking the existence of a school's policy is not a reason to sue.  The rights of these parents or their children are not harmed.  They simply cannot dictate policy because of dubious beliefs.   Hugs,   Charlize
    • Mmindy
      Life has its twist, and who knows what the future holds. She may only want to know your family and medical history’s long term chronic health history. Then again she may become your biggest supporter in your current life situation.   I am an optimist. So much so that if you put me in a room full of puppy poo, I’m going to look for the puppies.    Hugs and best wishes,   Mindy🌈🐛🏳️‍⚧️🦋
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.