• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Growing Out Leg Hair.

Guest thefireship

Guest thefireship

I'm trying to grow my leg hair out. But, there's a catch.

It drives me INSANE!

Will letting it grow out after waxing have a better (softer, less splintery sensation) than letting it grow out after shaving? I realize I'll likely have to tolerate a few days of letting it grow after shaving in order to get it to a waxing length (I've never waxed, so I have no clue really) but I'm willing to suck it up and cope if there was a chance that after the wax, it'll be more tolerable a process. Basically, I want to have the hairs grow out as if they had to grow all over again, so the ends of them are more tapered and less.. blunt and madness inducing.

I know I don't have to not shave, but I want to try it out. The only thing stopping me is how irritable the growing out process appears to be. It makes me not the most pleasant guy to be around either. I don't even want to be around myself when I'm that irritated. :|

Lotions didn't work to ease anything, nor did attempts at conditioning the hairs. Please advise, for I am sick of constantly wearing knee high socks that I have to carefully hike up every ten minutes.

Guest miss kindheart

The longer it is the softer it feels cause it bends over B)

Personally shaven legs is the way to go, but then i am a girl :P

good luck

:wub: vanna

I had the same problem about wearing knee high socks to hide my basically hairless legs while presenting male - not just for when after I shaved but because I have very little hair to begin with.

I don't know about waxing either - I never tried that but I did not notice a really huge difference between growing it back after shaving or after using Nair - it takes a little bit but as soon as it is long enough to bend it becomes much softer to the touch and less of an irritation.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest thefireship

Long enough to bend.. Okay. This may be where my impatience resides. Seems to take forever to bend.

I may have to accept that my hairs are reinforced with steel. Over the shins especially. e_e

Trying to think of any ways to attempt to weaken the hairs during the pre-bending phase so they won't be so darn rigid. (And annoyingly full of ouch.) I swear though, if I ever manage to get it grown out and end up liking it, I'm never going to shave them again! Not for all this trouble and irritation.

Guest Quinn

Yeah growing my leg hair out was pretty annoying, if I remember correctly. Mostly because I had to get over actually wanting to shave though...your leg just feels sooo smooooth afterrr, I loved it, haha.

Anyways, yeah, it is unfortunately one of those "awkward points" where you just have to wait it out. Like growing out your regular hair - you have to get past that annoying, ridiculous looking awkward point in the middle. For me, my hair grew pretty fast so it wasn't too long before it was long enough to not hurt. They're just rigid because of their short length right now, unfortunately.

I've never heard anything about waxing helping one way or another, though. Personally I'd think it'd be better and a shorter process to just keep letting it grow now until you get to that softer point, if you can tolerate the annoyance.

Guest Keane

Why would growing out leg hair be painful? Except when you touch it with your hand, stubbles are annoying to touch. I think the only thing you can do is moisturize like crazy. Waxing before letting it grow out might be better because you won't be stubbly, it'll grow out like it's the first time growing out ever.

Guest sixeaside

Yeah i can kinda relate, not so much with the hurting part, cuz growing leg hair has never hurt for me before, but right now im regrowing it out and im not gonna shave it anymore, and i dunno last time i shaved it was bout a week and a half ago and so right now its grown out but still really short, so idk to me it looks kinda awkward <_<

but it seems like for the both of us that we'll just have to wait these things out lol

(:

happy growing lol :)

Guest Bunny

This has to be odd somehow but heres what I know.

I might shave my legs once a month. Only when I see my friend because. Strange doesn't begin to cover us to say the least.

I've noticed that these days, when I shave that maybe once a month when it grows back it isn't as "sharp" feeling and... Strong and whatever else you wanna call it that makes it uncomfortable. Maybe it will be for a day but thats a big maybe.

I don't know if this anything to do with age as well or just my hair growth or something strange about my shaving habits make it work out like this but it does. I only lotion after I shave too so its not due to a crazy amount of that. I do take very very long showers though. Soaking helps?

At least once its grown out its grown!

-Jaden

Guest thefireship

Thanks for the input! I am glad to know that the hair stiffness does actually fade. I was getting a wee bit concerned that I had freakishly strong leg hair.

I am just going to have to wait it out. Perhaps sacrifice the feet off a pair of socks for the duration since it bugs me to be in my apartment with anything but bare feet. The mock leg-warmers should hide alright up in my PJ pants. But still.. Oh the humiliation of leg-warmers! (Hee. At least the new ones won't be hot pink like the ones I had as a kid.) XD

Guest Nicodeme

Honestly, wearing knee-high socks would be the LAST thing I would do. Socks cling to my leg hair, and that hurts like a...well, insert noun of choice.

I would imagine shorter socks would irritate that leghair less.

Guest Hoslers_wife

Nick (my partner) always had leg hair, years before I met him. Well, I got curious and asked him to shave (fyi we were both extremely intoxicated) He agreed. For the next week he complained like our two year old about the hair growing back so that friday night after work we took a bubble bath and I busted out my sugar rub exfoliant and massaged his legs for a couple minutes. He asked me to do it for the next week or so until it quit irritating him. I'm still not sure if it really helped him or he just liked bath time with wifey.

If you want to try it avoid anything with citrus. I use it on my legs after I shave and it burns like crazy. My favorite it milk and almond sugar rub and I found it at the dollar tree.