• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Possible Changes In The Military. What Do You All Think?

Guest Anira

Hey there everyone. I was talking to my mother a couple weeks ago when i came out to her about being trans. she was rather accepting about it which made the conversation go a lot smoother. She is retired military, and currently still works for the military. one of the things we had talked about was my situation in the military and whether i was going to stay in or not. One of the things she discussed with me was the fact they are trying to get rid of. she had said if/when it does go away it would make things easier cause i could pass things off as being gay, at least in there eyes, and that it would only be a matter of time until they became accepting of trans persons. then once that happened it would be very likely that the military would start paying for the therapy, Hormone treatments, and possibly the SRS as well. Unfortunately though i want to believe her and i certainly hope it does come to pass and soon. i am having a hard time seeing it happening any time within my life time. she thinks it will and that i should stay in the full 20 and retire. My thing is i like the order and structure that the military offers but i don't want to wait 6, 10 even 18 years living as a female stuck in a males body hoping that the military will accept me for who i am and help me make whats on the outside match what is on the inside. I'm a bit torn on the matter, and i'm not sure what i should do. from what i've seen there is nothing in DODT or plans to reverse it that would cover myself or anyone else who is in a similar situation. Does anyone have any imput on this or know anything about it? i wanna believe that it would happen and that it would happen soon, but i dun wanna hold my breath *lowers her ears and sighs*

Guest Donna Jean

Vet here......

Honey.....there is change in the air....but it is minimal......

I wouldn't hold my breath for what you are talking about.

You could take your chances, stay in and hope for more change, but if the next administration is conservative it could set it back 8 years right off the top!

Nothing at all may happen.

You might spend your time better getting out and working in the real world and saving your money for SRS...you could continue your transition an HRT and be happier....

But, all of that is your call....

I wish you luck, Honey...

I spent my military time wearing women's clothes under my flight suit...

Took those panties and bras around the world!....lol

Good luck, Baby....

HUGGS!

Donna Jean

Guest Girl Emily

Anira,

Now that you have honestly accepted your condition you will only be happy if you get out at the end of your enlistment I think. The results of hormones are much better with less risk of side effects if you are younger. If you start now or soon you could be a woman in just a few years with your whole life ahead of you to date and get married or whatever. Otherwise you have to spend the next 14+ years living alone and in hiding regarding your true self. That doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Huggs,

Guest Donna Jean

Anira....I agree with Emily ....If you are truly Transsexual, it will be hell to try to stay a full 20.....

If you are just cross dressing I'd say to stick it out, but I fear that once you have gotten to the point that you're at it will be difficult, if not impossible, to suck it up for the duration.

Once you have gained acceptance of your true self, there is not much that you can do but begin your transition....

This is all stuff that you are going to have to ask yourself!

Good luck, Honey...

Huggs

Donna Jean

Guest Anira
Stay in and live with it. The retirement benifits will make it all worth while and you'll still be young enough to do your thing.

What benefits? As far as i know I'll still have access to the VA hospitals and things like that. I am already gauranteed the G.I bill. Aside from the additional income from the retirement check i'm not sure what benefits i would have at age 43 as apposed to when my current contract is up in 2013 that would make transtioning any easier

Anira,

Now that you have honestly accepted your condition you will only be happy if you get out at the end of your enlistment I think. The results of hormones are much better with less risk of side effects if you are younger. If you start now or soon you could be a woman in just a few years with your whole life ahead of you to date and get married or whatever. Otherwise you have to spend the next 14+ years living alone and in hiding regarding your true self. That doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Huggs,

I do have a wonderful mate who i wish to grow old with. though it seems at times he still has a bit of trouble accepting who i am. *lowers her ears* i know he loves me and i love him. its just really hard for him right now. and i would love to be able to complete my transition within a few years but i worry about the financial aspect of it. *sighs* i haven't been able to save up much money for anything let alone the Hormones or any surgeries i may/will need. thats one of the things i'm hoping will come from this deployment. something i start putting towards my transition.

Anira....I agree with Emily ....If you are truly Transsexual, it will be hell to try to stay a full 20.....

If you are just cross dressing I'd say to stick it out, but I fear that once you have gotten to the point that you're at it will be difficult, if not impossible, to suck it up for the duration.

Once you have gained acceptance of your true self, there is not much that you can do but begin your transition....

This is all stuff that you are going to have to ask yourself!

Good luck, Honey...

Huggs

Donna Jean

I know that i am supposed to be a female. I have come to accept that and love the female that is inside me. Every night when i go to bed. i wish, though i know it doesn't work that easily, that when i wake up it will have been a dream that was so close to the life i am living that the fact i was a male in the dream would be the only difference. I love working in the medical field and if the Military would let me rejoin after i became a female i probably would. (though i would go in as an officer with a nursing degree than an enlisted who is working on a nursing degree) but as the military stands now.. i know that isn't possible. so I am leaning heavily towards getting out as soon as my enlistment is up. using my Montgomery G.I bill to finish paying for my education and my housing while i'm getting it. (yeah unless things change from what i've learned from my direct superiors. since its unlikely i'll be able to use all 96,000 of my G.I bill on tuition and books alone the govenrment will pay me E-5 Basic housing allowance for where ever i'm attending College so long as i'm in college and maintaining good grades) and hopefully while i'm getting my degree i'll be able to work on my transition and save up for the surgeries and things like that. *lowers her ears* alot of this may be subject to change depending on what all changes in the government and what benefits change. (i.e a change to the G.I bill that makes it so they won't pay for my housing while i'm in college) *sighs* i still have a little over 3yrs left before my current contract is up. I turn 24 next month on the 19th so i'll be 27 when my contract is up that year in novembe. *sighs* it seems like sooooooo far away.... *pouts* i want whats outside to match whats inside already.....