• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Standing At The Threshold

Sally

Here I am about to start my ninth month of HRT and realizing that there is no longer any more putting things off like I always have.

There comes this point where there is no turning back for some it is when you physically can no longer pass as your previous gender for others it is when they start HRT or when they are starting into therapy, even getting the letter for surgery marks that point for some, for me it went back to a day in January of 2008 when I decided that I had to do something about all of this and make things right.

Now if you do the math that is twenty eight months and I am starting month nine of HRT - was I not a good candidate?

Actually - I am in very good health, physically and mentally - no obstacles, just my incredible almost epic lack of any form of drive or ambition.

From the time that I decided that something must be done it took me six months before I started in therapy, then for various reasons (let's face it they were just excuses - almost all reasons are just excuses to rationalize inaction or actual failure) I did not start my HRT until August of the following year - my therapist was ready to give me that letter almost a year before I started.

I had my marriage to worry about - it was over ten months earlier, my business - well I had let it die while I was trying to decide how to keep it going while I transitioned, so it all boiled down to just me and my extreme procrastination.

The only thing in my life that I have not put off until later is right here, Laura's and all of my wonderful friends and such beautiful yet troubled people who need help, I have found that I can help these people just as they have all helped me but bills need to be paid and I have no burning desire to just work to be working - I have little use for money in great quantities other than survival and one day SRS - at my current speed I will be nearly 90.

So I am poised at a threshold of entering into full time and I am considering a career change which will require additional Education, I have found a career that I have a passion, an ability and actually a feeling of being driven to do.

I owe that to Laura's as well because I had never opened up to anyone before either about myself or listening to anyone else but this wonderful place has changed me, it has allowed me to share my inner thoughts and dreams with others and to not only listen but to care about the dreams and fears of others - I have decided that for my long term work, something that I can actually be proud of and feel like it is making a difference that I am going to go back to school and become a Therapist, specializing in gender identity - I feel that my ambling, no particular direction journey through life has given me a unique perspective and that along with being transsexual myself should not only allow me to relate to most patients better but to allow them to trust me from the start.

Trust and love are the two most important things in life and sadly we don't appreciate their value when compared to cold and heartless money.

I have a model in mind for my practice and I have been fortunate enough to have watched her work for almost two years now, caring for the patient ahead of the billing - just the way I want to be, helping them to be themselves and finding just who that really is.

At last, a job where I wouldn't spend each night wondering what the point to all of that was - I know the point, I have seen it from the other side and trust me selling appliances can never give you that incredible feeling that I get when some one says thank you or just shows up the next day after a long PM session about suicide - a job with a real purpose - helping others.

I want to thank you for reading all of that and I would like to ask for your help - don't go, I'm not asking for money - well not from you anyway - if anyone knows of grants or scholarship funds for older students (58) with far from perfect credit, please let me know.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Paula D
Here I am about to start my ninth month of HRT and realizing that there is no longer any more putting things off like I always have.

There comes this point where there is no turning back for some it is when you physically can no longer pass as your previous gender for others it is when they start HRT or when they are starting into therapy, even getting the letter for surgery marks that point for some, for me it went back to a day in January of 2008 when I decided that I had to do something about all of this and make things right.

Now if you do the math that is twenty eight months and I am starting month nine of HRT - was I not a good candidate?

Actually - I am in very good health, physically and mentally - no obstacles, just my incredible almost epic lack of any form of drive or ambition.

From the time that I decided that something must be done it took me six months before I started in therapy, then for various reasons (let's face it they were just excuses - almost all reasons are just excuses to rationalize inaction or actual failure) I did not start my HRT until August of the following year - my therapist was ready to give me that letter almost a year before I started.

I had my marriage to worry about - it was over ten months earlier, my business - well I had let it die while I was trying to decide how to keep it going while I transitioned, so it all boiled down to just me and my extreme procrastination.

The only thing in my life that I have not put off until later is right here, Laura's and all of my wonderful friends and such beautiful yet troubled people who need help, I have found that I can help these people just as they have all helped me but bills need to be paid and I have no burning desire to just work to be working - I have little use for money in great quantities other than survival and one day SRS - at my current speed I will be nearly 90.

So I am poised at a threshold of entering into full time and I am considering a career change which will require additional Education, I have found a career that I have a passion, an ability and actually a feeling of being driven to do.

I owe that to Laura's as well because I had never opened up to anyone before either about myself or listening to anyone else but this wonderful place has changed me, it has allowed me to share my inner thoughts and dreams with others and to not only listen but to care about the dreams and fears of others - I have decided that for my long term work, something that I can actually be proud of and feel like it is making a difference that I am going to go back to school and become a Therapist, specializing in gender identity - I feel that my ambling, no particular direction journey through life has given me a unique perspective and that along with being transsexual myself should not only allow me to relate to most patients better but to allow them to trust me from the start.

Trust and love are the two most important things in life and sadly we don't appreciate their value when compared to cold and heartless money.

I have a model in mind for my practice and I have been fortunate enough to have watched her work for almost two years now, caring for the patient ahead of the billing - just the way I want to be, helping them to be themselves and finding just who that really is.

At last, a job where I wouldn't spend each night wondering what the point to all of that was - I know the point, I have seen it from the other side and trust me selling appliances can never give you that incredible feeling that I get when some one says thank you or just shows up the next day after a long PM session about suicide - a job with a real purpose - helping others.

I want to thank you for reading all of that and I would like to ask for your help - don't go, I'm not asking for money - well not from you anyway - if anyone knows of grants or scholarship funds for older students (58) with far from perfect credit, please let me know.

Love ya,

Sally

I say go for it! Paula D

• Admin
I am going to go back to school and become a Therapist, specializing in gender identity - I feel that my ambling, no particular direction journey through life has given me a unique perspective and that along with being transsexual myself should not only allow me to relate to most patients better but to allow them to trust me from the start.

Love ya,

Sally

Sally, I can think of no path better than this one for you, and I can think of no one more suited to it. You would

be an awesome therapist, and I encourage you to get started right now!

As to your question, the only thing I know of right off the bat is the Lifetime Learning Tax Credit, which can help

down the line but isn't much good as a kick off. I'm pretty good at Internet research, so let me work on it and

I'll let you know what I find. Community College is a great place to start, and the fees are usually pretty reasonable.

You're going to be great at this. :)

Carolyn Marie

Guest Evan_J

"whew" Finally, she'll have other peeps to prattle to.

JUST KIDDING :P

What do you say when someone's embarking on a new adventure? Bon Voyage? Well "Bon Voyage" as long as you log in here :lol:.

Guest Naomi Stardust

I had no luck finding money for college until I actually enrolled

then I got lots of help from the financial aid person

so my advice would to ask someone whose job it is to know about those things

also look into PELL grants

or is it PEL?

either way I do not think that age is a factor for those

the transgender scholarships I found were all for highschool students

so I didn't qualify anymore

so maybe you should enroll in highschool again

after all you are on HRT and going through puberty

you'll fit right in :lol:

love and flowers

Naomi

Guest NatashaJade

I think it's great that you're going back to school. The new learning tax credit is pretty great. If you take student loans out and only accept the money for tuition, you should be able to afford a state school and see most of the money back at tax time.

We're moving forward, Sally! I used to say, "I plan ahead, that way I don't have to do anything today." (h/t Tremors). Now, I act on my plans and do things today, because there is no better time to start. If you have a passion for this career, follow it, dear. It can only lead to good things for you.

luv

Gin

Guest Jean Davis

HA!

I told you there was a silver lining. :P

And now you found it, a career that will make you happy. :D

But remember with anything good in life there is a price to pay (and no I'm not talking about money :lol: )

I'm talking about studying and reading till your eyes drop out and roll around on the floor. :lol:

But I'm sure you're up for the task at hand (all the reading here at Laura's got you in good shape ;) ).

Just keep the prize at the end in site, it will be worth every late night you spend studying. :D

LUV

Jean

Guest Girl Emily

Sally,

Congratulations on finding a passion to follow. It will make a difference in all areas of your life.

You need to fill out a federal form called federal application for student aid so you can receive the pell grant and student loans. It has a deadline so don't procrastinate. ;-)

Huggs,

Guest My_Genesis

The threshold for me is starting HRT and becoming myself at a new college. At least, that's how I see it now, that that's where my life will make a complete turnaround. A lot of people get into a career field that they become really passionate about because they are able to relate to it through personal experience and want to help others overcome what they have. I suppose a lot of us end up going down that path - look at Dr. Bowers.

I myself have an interest in the sciences and if I have the intellect and ability, I hope that I can one day play some role in pioneering new and improved surgeries for trans people. I know it will change the lives of many as well as myself.

Do what you are passionate about, not what makes money. My dad always says, do what you love and the money will follow.

:)

Hi Sally,

I just now came across your post! I'm so glad that you've decided to move forward. You'll do great!

Can we put a couch somewhere in the playground? Hey what's this bill I just got? When did you start charging money for this?

Thanks for everything Sally!

Love, Kat

Guest twinstar4

Good for you ,Sally, You go girl!

That field is perfect for you.

And you know what you need even more than money to do what you are planning? A goal and courage, and you have them both. When you start with those the financial part will fall into place.

Guest again

Hi Sally,

When I read your post I thought it was so great that you are chosing this occupation! You have a kindness about you and your compassion comes through in how you deal with everyone here at Laura's. Being Canadian, I am not familiar with how the grants and bursaries and whatnot work in the USA, but all colleges and universities have financial aid counsellors---so I would imagine that's the best place to start---TODAY! Here is some good info on the Pell Grants:

http://collegeapps.about.com/od/grantsands.../pell_grant.htm

Guest ~Brenda~

I just wanted to tell you Sally,

That I think you would be a wonderful Therapist.

You are a natural. You are so good with people.

Sorry, I don't have any concrete advice about financing.

All, I can suggest is that you find what is available via the institution you are considering.

Many times, fees (including tuition) can be waived for certain circumstances (your circumstances may warrant significant reductions in costs).

Who knows, you may find that the cost is not nearly what you think it might be.

Love

Brenda

Guest Elizabeth K

Sally - we have talked and you know how happy I am for you. I just wanted to say something on the forum.

You are a natural fot his. It is something that will take time and dedication but is 100% doable. My therapist trains new therapists (required here in Louisiana) after they gain that degree. The one SM went to was a 58 year old CPA trained natal female accountant, who gave her career up because it wasn't right, and went for the gold. What I need to explain? She was also taking chemotherapy for Non- Hodgkinsons Lymphoma (cancer of the blood), at the same time. She is now on the edge of certification and her cancer is in remission.

We muddle through and BINGO - sometimes it works just fine!

I love you Girlfriend!

Lizzy