• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Things We Used To Believe As Kids?

Flint

Hey, I guess you could say I've been feeling somewhat nostalgic recently. It got me thinking i find it interesting and sometimes funny B):P when hearing other peoples stories about themselves when little. It could be gender related or it might not be gender related at all, I'm asking about stories you remember in general not just gender related. Like those insane beliefs some of us had as a child. :P

When i was younger i used to play out on the street, occasionally one of the war sirens would go off (I'd like to mention there was no war at the time ;) ) when it went off I'd shout to all the other kids playing "EVERYONE HIDE!" so I would go running into the house and I'd sit in the little little hall way looking out of the letter box. I wasn't playing a game or anything, i seriously believed that soldiers who were our enemies would come marching down the street with their guns. After the siren stopped I'd make sure all the kids remained in their hiding places for at least 10 minutes after, because i believed that there could still be enemies about. Then after that 10 minutes I'd leave my hiding place first and go crawling around front gardens checking for the enemies. Then I'd shout "CLEAR" when i was convinced there were no enemies.... B)

Guest Jewel

I remember one of my eldest brother's girlfriends telling me that if I ever kissed my own elbow, even by accident, I'd turn into a girl. Same deal for girls... kissing their own elbow would instantly transform them into a boy. Now being the skeptical science-nerdy six year old, I didn't believe it. And I think it was meant to be some sort of horror story... as in, "Don't ever ever ever let someone trick you into kissing your elbow or you'll change into an icky girl!!" But she gave me the funniest look when she caught me later that day trying to figure out how to contort myself so I could kiss my elbow. :lol:

Guest Flistan

Things I believed in when I was little...

1-Santa, Tooth Fairy, etc... (still do. ^.^)

2-I had the ability to fly

3-I was also psychic and telekinetic

4-I had purple eyes that could change color

5-I could fly

6-I would grow up intersexed

7-I was also part dragon

8-I could give accurate tarot readings with cards from an anime/tv show called Card Captors (I had a copy of the CLOW/book of cards- I was like, in 5th grade)

9-I could make my dad love me and sacrifice his money genuinely if I put myself in danger for that purpose. :/

10-I would become a storyteller(writer/artist) some day. Still working on it! ^.^

Lol.

Guest Flistan

OH YEAH! Funny story. Ugh, I was so gullible... When I was young, my sister and I were going through our closet to clean it and she found one of the sticks to the Chinese yo-yo. She grabbed it and was all "WOOOOW, do you know what this is?!!"

Me: "Um... a stick?"

Sis: "Noooo... this is something really special!"

Me: "What is it?!"

Sis: "It's a... bosomhalter..."

Me: "WOW! A BOSOMHALTER!"

*goes running down hall*

Me: "MOM, GUESS WHAT GUESS WHAT?! WE FOUND A BOSOMHALTER!"

She just cracked up so bad... Lol she told me it meant "bra" in German (bosom and "halter") and I was all... "huh?" >< Lol shortly after that I started wearing one... o.0 I was like... 7. ><

Guest My_Genesis

kinda related to being trans... but i used to think women could just get pregnant randomly. the thought of me being pregnant freaked me out so i was scared to grow up b/c i was so afraid that one day i would just randomly get pregnant.

I had a imaginary friend when I was little if that counts. He had a napolean hat and would watch me play super mario bros. He rocked.

Guest Lizzie McTrucker

Two silly ones. First I thought you could pause your dreams, you know in case you had to get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night. Secondly I thought if you did pause your dream and took too long to restart it, someone else could fall asleep and take your dream and then you were stuck with theirs.

Guest My_Genesis
I had a imaginary friend when I was little if that counts. He had a napolean hat and would watch me play super mario bros. He rocked.

lol, grover from sesame street was my imaginary friend when I was about 4.

Guest Elizabeth K

The wind was caused by the trees moving like fans.

That if you crawled thru a culvert pipe, that you entered another world just like the on the side you just left - but different in some way you would not notice.

That prayer, if done just right, could be answered with a gender change as requested, and God would set it up like nobody noticed, except you.

That the Wonderful World of Disney, the show 'journey to the moon' 1959, was true instead of imaginary.

Lizzy

I didn't have imaginary friends till i was 18...... <_<

What? Fred is real! I don't care what you say! :P

But when i was younger i used to have a teddy, who i called Jake. Jake was my son. Yes, that is right. I pretended he was my son. :rolleyes: See i pretended that I'd adopted him and i was now his father. I guess that could be classed as a gender thing too. <_<

Guest again

hopefully parents can reply to this post..........I remember as a child I was convinced that the "the olden days came once a year"--for some reason I thought that once a year everyone turned into characters from the wild west, lol! also, I definitely thought I could fly---I used to have very vivid dreams of taking off from my top bunk in a bedroom with three sisters---once I must have been "sleep flying" as I soared out into the room and crashed to the floor in no time flat (no broken bones)! I used to think that as I walked around the house, I was really being filmed and would end up on TV at some point---this always kept me on my toes.....vivid imaginations are a wonderful thing!

Guest thefireship

I was a hard core Santa believer for many years. It helped that on one particular Christmas, I crawled into bed with my parents at 3am (because I couldn't sleep, DUH). No sooner did I pull the blanket up, and a big hickory nut fell off the tree outside, tap-tap-tapped down the chimney and made a resounding BANG against the tin fireplace blocker at the bottom. To further the 'proof' my parents actually had accidentally both purchased the same big item from my list. One said "From Mom and Dad" the other, of course, "From Santa." I was sold.

I used to believe that if I held my breath just right I could fly like I did in my dreams. I have no idea why holding my breath had anything to do with it though, but boy did I try a lot!

Okay one more silly one. I used to believe that if I "bottled" my sneezes and/or coughs I wouldn't get sick, nor contaminate the kids around me in class. What I did was sneeze or cough in my hands, then mime out putting them in small jars then screwing on the caps. Then, I'd set them beside my desk and made sure the other kids didn't walk into them. c_c I guess it was a halfhearted belief though. I knew I was full of bologna but it was still fun to make the other kids nervous.

Guest Elizabeth K

I knew the world was round but i didn't understand how big it is. I thought you COULD dig to China, if you had the right tools and enough time.

Lizzy

Guest Donna Jean

Oh my goodness...

When I was little I believed that if I was watching a movie and it was interupted by somethin (like supper) and you missed the end, when you died, God would let you see the rest of that movie....

Actually, I'm not too sure that's not how it works!

Donna Jean

I am extremely Naive and Gullible (and you thought I was Sally) so basically anything that I believed as a child, I still do.

With one notable exception - that Danged tooth fairy has become a real capitalist, when I was a child and I lost a tooth, I put it under the pillow and the next morning I had a quarter - a few years ago I broke a tooth and not only did the oral surgeon keep the tooth, I got a bill for over $2000 dollars for the extraction and implant and I bet he got my quarter too!

Teddy Bears are real and they can talk to you, you just have to listen very carefully because they are so shy.

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Emilio

- Girls turned into boys and boys turned into girls on their tenth birthday.

- My bathroom was haunted by both a little blonde girl and a cranky old woman.

- I'd never grow up.

- I could time travel.

- I was an alien.

- My dad was in the mafia.

- When commercials started up and were suddenly cut off by another commercial, it was because someone cut in line at the tv station.

- The world used to be black and white.

Guest D.V. Faust

-I used to think Freddy Krueger was real (I knew nothing about the movies or his character, just that he was a killer. I didn't even see the first movie until over a year ago)

-That if I jumped off something, I could use an umbrella to gently float down (good thing I was too much of a wuss to jump off anything higher than the couch)

-That I could learn to run like the deer in "Bambi" (tried it. Also tried jumping off the couch like the deer jumped off the rocks)

-I stopped using a nightlight because I thought that Dracula (or a Dracula look-alike) was going to appear in my room. I figured I'd rather not see what's about to get me.

-I avoided sewer grates because I thought "IT" was real and living in the sewer.

-I seriously believed there were little people in my ears talking to each other (my ears used to make weird sounds)

Guest Girl Emily

I honestly believed that if I stepped on a crack I would break my mother's back...

I was the youngest and very gullible but thankfully my memory has saved me from the reallllly embarrassing beliefs. My siblings were so cruel.

Huggs,

Guest Janessa

1. I believed I would wake up the next day as a woman.

2. I thought that through training I could use telekinesis. XD (kids probably thought I was weird for staring at stuff all the time)

3. I believed in four leaf clovers being lucky... imagine my surprise when I found a 5 leaf clover. o.o

4. The whole blood sisters thing. I thought if we got a cut and put them together, we'd become related. XD

I remember one of my eldest brother's girlfriends telling me that if I ever kissed my own elbow, even by accident, I'd turn into a girl. Same deal for girls... kissing their own elbow would instantly transform them into a boy. Now being the skeptical science-nerdy six year old, I didn't believe it. And I think it was meant to be some sort of horror story... as in, "Don't ever ever ever let someone trick you into kissing your elbow or you'll change into an icky girl!!" But she gave me the funniest look when she caught me later that day trying to figure out how to contort myself so I could kiss my elbow. :lol:

OMG that happened with me too XD. Wayyy back in Kindergarten I believe. Except I was told that by one of the girls at my school, and it was my mother at home who was giving me weird looks when she caught me trying to kiss my elbow. XD