• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Insurance Companies Just Suck

Guest chngnwnd

Guest chngnwnd

I hate my insurance company... It's not so much that they won't cover the services I need, but the fact that the only way to find out would be to out myself to the HR deparment - they are the only ones with the full listing of service covered and not covered. There is no listing on the web site even when you have an account set up. You are not provided a full listing from HR when you sign up - and to make it worse - I work in a field that is known and allowed to discriminate against trangender in employment...

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. Insurance companies just need to burn burn burn... well at least conduct themselves in a more open and ethical manner... You are suposed to be able to have full confidentiality and privacy as it relates to health issues in my state - this practice of only giving HR the complete info kind of defeats those laws.

I feel better now - problem is not gone... I guess I will just have to figure out an excuse to inquire about it all that won't give me away...

Bobby

I'm in the same boat. Don't want to ask my HR dept about anything, and they're the gatekeepers to the insurance plan. I'm going to ask my doctor to ask - they can go directly to the insurance company in a confidential manner without going through my HR. Have you tried that approach?

Kat

Guest ~Brenda~

Hmmm,

Seems kind of strange that full-disclosure of covered services would be so hidden and only known to the HR department.

That being the case, can you simply request from the HR department a complete list of what is covered and what is not covered.

I would doubt that you would have to give a specific reason.

I would suspect that simply saying that you just wanted to know for future reference would suffice.

Just my thoughts.

Brenda

Guest Donna Jean
I'm going to ask my doctor to ask - they can go directly to the insurance company in a confidential manner without going through my HR. Have you tried that approach?

Kat

Hmmm,

That being the case, can you simply request from the HR department a complete list of what is covered and what is not covered.

Brenda

Both of these are great ideas...

I received an insurance "Handbook" that explained the entire program....(and it says "No SEX CHANGE or associated stuff...)....

But...there's ways....

Donna Jean

Guest Evan_J
Hmmm,

Seems kind of strange that full-disclosure of covered services would be so hidden and only known to the HR department.

I would doubt that you would have to give a specific reason.

I would suspect that simply saying that you just wanted to know for future reference would suffice.

Just my thoughts.

Brenda

I agree with Brenda. I've never heard of an insurance company that will only disclose whats covered to one company's HR..... (read: contact the insurance company)

However, each insurance company's policy is different with each company that they're contracted with. There's a lot of variation, so it would have to relate directly to your company's policy.

In my case, the company that handles my insurance is nothing more than a subdivision of my own company. Conflict of interest! Makes it really hard to do anything in confidence plus I work for a hospital, where everything can be justified for medical reasons. We treat patient's privacy like it's gold, but that doesn't extend to employees.

Oh well, I'll be outed someday - just have to be prepared for that eventuality.

Love, Kat

Guest Amber Jean

For me I just asked my HR for the "complete" guidebook which by law they HAVE to give you. They usually only hand out an overview or summery during the open enrollment process. The complete guide spells out specifically what is NOT covered. In MY book it specifically points out "Services, Labs, and procedures related to changing one's sex". There it is in black and white. What I did initially was to call the insurance company and "act" as a new hire and ask if transgender services were covered. They told me that the sex change stuff is not included...to use thier words. Being anonymous I then asked if they offered services for suicide prevention which they did. I then pushed further and said that it was either the transgender assistance or suicide and she went back to "sir we don't cover sex change services". Big brick wall and in all honesty, I coulc have gone around with them all day but it was pointless. In they end she asked for my name, I said I wouldn't give it and she said without my name she couldn't talk to me anymore and hung up.....I love my insurance company too. Just so you all know if you work in PA. Geisinger insurance will in no way cover ANY services for "sex change" reasons. I will be changing to blue cross/Blue shield as at LEAST the hormones are covered and the Labs too depending on how the Dr bills them. Thats what I have learned.....

Amber

Guest chngnwnd

Oh - that is so awesome about blue cross/blue shield - that's what I have! I need to talk to HR tomorrow to get the whole list!

Guest TracieV3
For me I just asked my HR for the "complete" guidebook which by law they HAVE to give you. They usually only hand out an overview or summery during the open enrollment process. The complete guide spells out specifically what is NOT covered. In MY book it specifically points out "Services, Labs, and procedures related to changing one's sex". There it is in black and white. What I did initially was to call the insurance company and "act" as a new hire and ask if transgender services were covered. They told me that the sex change stuff is not included...to use thier words. Being anonymous I then asked if they offered services for suicide prevention which they did. I then pushed further and said that it was either the transgender assistance or suicide and she went back to "sir we don't cover sex change services". Big brick wall and in all honesty, I coulc have gone around with them all day but it was pointless. In they end she asked for my name, I said I wouldn't give it and she said without my name she couldn't talk to me anymore and hung up.....I love my insurance company too. Just so you all know if you work in PA. Geisinger insurance will in no way cover ANY services for "sex change" reasons. I will be changing to blue cross/Blue shield as at LEAST the hormones are covered and the Labs too depending on how the Dr bills them. Thats what I have learned.....

Amber

Really! I have BC/BS. Could you please post the details on how the labs and hormones can be cover by BC/BS in the way the doctor bills them.
Guest Amber Jean
Really! I have BC/BS. Could you please post the details on how the labs and hormones can be cover by BC/BS in the way the doctor bills them.

Only thing I can tell you on this is that my Hormone Doc told me that the way he bills it out it has been covered. This is also to an extent dependant on your own individual policy. Some company's specifically exclude certain things. As a general rule though, from what the doc said the BC/BS can be covered unless your company excludes it. My current insurance excluded ANY "sex change" medical expenses. I would check your exclusions in yoru policy's manuel. It will be all the way in the back in VERY small print.

Amber

Guest WastelandBoat

Awh man Bobby. :/ I feel you.

I'm kind of going through the backdoor of my insurance. Seeing a psychiatrist that's on my plan later this month for my anxiety. I'm gonna ask him if he knows of any therapists that are on my plan that can see me, and through a therapist.. hopefully find a gender identity therapist. Maybe try that way? Just say you need to see a therapist? While my insurance probably will never cover T or top surgery. I should be able to find a therapist.

I hope you do too.

And.. heh, another Marylander. :)