• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Finally, Some Acknowledgment

EVAN_DESU

From the very begining, I never really liked my art teacher. She despises anime..was my main reason for disliking her. ;_______;

Almost every cartoon I would draw (that WASN'T anime) she'd tell he "Oooh, that's anime!" And I kept going on and on arguing with her. >__________>

There's this really ignorant girl in my class. We had to draw a portrait of what was being described to us. One of them was a Japanese woman in formal dress. The girl said it was anime. GOSHHHH I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH THIS AGRIVATES ME. DXX UNFFFFF.

She doesn't like that I procrastinate on every project. Sometimes waiting til the end of the second week we're giving the assignment to actually start. Honestly it's because I'm now in an advanced drawing class and I'm the only freshman, and I'm afraid of screwing up in front of everyone.

And I just HATE, HATE, HATE, when people watch me draw, I get so nervous you will not believe. D8

She always says I do well on my assignments, yet I look around and see I'm probably worst in the class.

She always tells me what I can imporve on, and I try to work hard to make improvement happen.

I'm just always so tired of how she holds a few of her students on a high pedistal, and not really acknoweledging others as much. I really miss my middle school art teacher, he was great. We got to use photoshop, draw, make awesome things. I used to get A's all the time in his class. I really liked him. He was my favorite teacher and I really looked up to him. After class sometimes we'd talk for a good half an hour just about random things. He always treated me like I was valued in his class, sometimes..a little too much, taking time away from students who needed help just to give me free art supplies, or show me something new, or talk about conventions he had gone to.

On projects he thought would be a challenge for me, or if I was feeling sick that day, he'd call me over to his desk and tell me stuff like

"You and I both know you are very talented. I understand if you don't do well on this because it's hard for you/different/things are going on/you don't feel well. I will take that into consideration and I won't count points off. If there's anytime you don't want to do a certain project, and you have something else in mind, come to me and we can work something out. I know you can do it."

He even told me if I don't feel like doing some projects, I could just sketch some things and get the same grade as if I did the project. Anytime I needed art supplies, he'd give them to me free of charge.

I visited him back in February. We talked and ranted about how crappy life is now, and how things seem to be changing for the worse. He told me how he had to get rid of the school's art show because no one seemed to care about it anymore, and how he might get fired and leave the school without an art class. I felt so sad. ;_______;

He told me not to be, and to always look on the bright side, and in the future I'll be successful. He even told me how he didn't like my current art teacher, or my school at all. He really wanted me to get my grades up so I can make it to my sophomore year so I can go to the new school they built near me that I'm zoned for.

Anyways, today the teacher took a look at my project and announced to the class that I was the best at drawing faces and shading. It was awkward...I can't take compliments. >____<

Then she asked if I was thinking about AP for next year. I told her not really, because she had said a few weeks ago she already talked to the people who are having AP next year. She then asked if I was going to be a Junior or a Senior next year. When I told her sophomore, she backed away. Everyone was shoked that I was a freshman for some reason, I don't know. She said I need to take my sophomore year to work on my portfolio so It'll be done and ready by the end of sophomore year to submit so I can get AP art for my junior year.

I never though she would have said that. I never thought she saw AP potential in me, and honestly I don't really see it in myself.

AP to me means you have a good concept of many art related things. I only know drawing....

I guess that's why I need to take a year to develop in other areas of art. And learn, learn a lot and fast!

People talk about so many art terms and things in my class that I have no idea what they are/used for/what they look like...

I feel so....out of place and awkward and uneducated. ;_______________;

Guest ~Brenda~

Evan hon,

I am not in a position to read your post carefully (at the moment), but I will say one thing... I have seen your artwork and you are really talented. It makes me sad to hear you put yourself down like that.

I'll post more when I get home.

HUGS

Brenda

Guest Girl Emily

Evan,

It sounds as though she has a teaching style that particularly aggravates you I had similar relations with some of my HS teachers. It is those same teachers that I learned the most from. They were critical of me because they saw my potential and my not meeting that potential was a going to only hurt me. As a senior about to graduate their attitude towards me changed and they told me I was the brightest in the class and they enjoyed having me as a student. If she says you waist time before starting assignments try and improve that by starting one day earth next time and add a day every assignment. You will be showing improvement in both the quality of work, her perception of you, and your ability to draw while being watched. I always had difficulty starting assignments until it became critical. Through my talent I as able to produce above average work, but failed to reach my potential.

Huggs,