• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Coming Out

Okay....so today is ahard day for me.....It wuld have been my friends birthday if she was still alive. So i'm thinking alot today. And then my grandad came and that got me thinking even more. about coming out to family. I#m out to mum and dad and sister. Mum tries to accept but can't. Dad wont accept and can't try. Thats what he says that he can't. But i know it's not that he can't it's simply that he wont try. Sister well she bullies me more so now. But.... I'm 18 this year. and i feel like this secret is holding me back. I feel like i'm getting no where. But i dont know how to go about it. COming out to rest of the family. It's not a very likley thing for me to do, to just phone them and such things. Grandad said today "How long you had your hair like that?" I replied a few weeks now. a month or so. (I've been avoiding all family for a while now) he said "Groow it back. You'd think you was a lad." In my head i was thinking "Yea? No kidding! thats cause i am a lad!" I've been looking into changing my name legally. But one thing that scares me is that not all family knows yet. I need advice really. How did you come out to the rest of your family? Problem is some of you might have better communications with your family. Due to my illness, and my never knowing realy how to comunicate properly it may be diff. But i just wondered if anyone could share with me how they told the rest of their family?

Thanks

MB

honestly, I still haven't yet and am freaked out about it. Since I live on the other side of the country from them, it's been fairly easy to just not share that with them. I'm actually hoping that my grandfather dies before I have to come out to the whole family. Of course, that's a little complicated... I'll probably have to come out a little ahead of his death (which could happen in the next year, easily) so that it doesn't look like I'm trying to steal attention at the funeral.

families are rough.

Huff

Well, I'm rather lucky, family-wise. We're all a very tight-knit group. That whole "unconditional love" thing. Although I haven't told everyone yet, I haven't received a single negative reaction from the 16-or-so people I've told so far.

That said, I wouldn't have even cared if they hated me for it. The only person I cared about accepting me was my Dad, and he's been the most accepting of everyone I've talked to--family, friends, whatever. He actually had to worm it out of me though. I was too much of a coward to go to him. (It's a long story)

What I did for extended family was wait until I had a month and a half of therapy under my belt, and then approaching my family, one by one, and starting off as scientifically as I could, to sound less like a 'freak':

"I've been seeing a therapist for the past couple of months for gender dysphoria. We both believe that I have something called Gender Identity Disorder, which basically means that I'm a guy in a girl's body. Because of that, I've decided to start transitioning into becoming a male."

Along those lines. It seems to be the best opener, and invites questions. Which generally starts off with "how are you going to be doing that?", FYI, so be prepared to answer that if you decide to go the same route.

Things just happen from there. Hope this helped.

Guest Ryles_D
he said "Groow it back. You'd think you was a lad."

I would be so happy if someone said that to me. "yes! Success" :) I need to find out the rules on guys with long hair, though, having it short drives me insane.

Anyways, good luck with telling them. The response from your family is a bit disheartening, but you might be surprised at how the rest of them react. And, even if they do the same, at least it'll be out there so the more polite might be willing to switch to calling you 'he'.

Not that I know, I haven't told anyone. The closest I've came was telling a friend, and at first he seemed fine with it- but he didn't seem to get the subtleties that saying he was fine with it didn't mean it was now ok to call me a girl. (not because I'm MTF, because I'm FTN/M. I was really confused about the logic.). So, yeah, I'm not exactly an expert on coming out or people's reactions. When I finally get around to it I'll probably just compile a series of note cards in response to every question they could have on it. otherwise I'll forget.

Guest Sergei
I've been looking into changing my name legally. But one thing that scares me is that not all family knows yet.

I found it really useful to change my name before I came out to my more extended family, because then I had the certificate to show them when I did come out, and it showed them all just how serious I was.

• 1 month later...
Guest harvester52

My mom told the rest of my family, too. The only family members that don't know are my dad's parents... and they're really rude, closed-minded, over-religious people who I know will not take it well.

Guest StrandedOutThere

Wow, it takes a lot of bravery to come out to people. I don't know if I have the guts do ever do it. My mom already feels so bad because my younger brother has had problems with drugs. I feel like it would kill her if I dropped the bomb on her. She's very accepting of things that other people tell her. Since she's a counselor (a quite good one at that), she has to be. Still, I think the standards for her own family are different.

My dad would be freaked out, but would get over it. I think my step-mother wouldn't be surprised and would continue to hate me.

The plan I always had would be to "just do it" and let them do the math. Since the change would be gradual, maybe they'd get used to it a little at a time. Given my history of acting like a boy and being a fairly masculine girl, I don't think my family would be all that surprised. Yeah, I don't think any therapist would recommend this route. Total honesty, from the beginning, is probably the healthiest way to go.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 0 Anonymous, 113 Guests (See full list)

• Maddee
    • christinakristy2021
    • Ashley0616
    • Petra Jane
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Aleksandria
    Newest Member
    Aleksandria

1. Conner_Sent_By_Cyberlife
      Conner_Sent_By_Cyberlife
      (22 years old)
    2. CtN1p
      CtN1p
    3. heyim_finn
      heyim_finn
      (21 years old)
    4. Jayn
      Jayn
    5. joni_girl_1988
      joni_girl_1988
      (51 years old)
    • Mealaini
      Thank you for fixing my country of origin MaryEllen!     :) Mealaini
    • Mealaini
      Thank you KayC!  I am just trying to keep breathing. I don't have a huge amount of time in my life for self exploration.  My job and responsibilities have me second guessing all my inner work.  I do have time off in the summer - coming up soon as I am a teacher.  Only a few workshops.  Looking forward ward to some introspection.     :) Mealaini
    • Betty K
      Yes, essentially. As Julia Serano says, they view trans outcomes as intrinsically worse than cis outcomes. 
    • Jani
      I used to but now its just lip gloss every now and then, in a subdued tone.
    • Ivy
      Yeah, a lot of times I don't really have anything to add to the conversation. There are some threads I seldom post on.
    • Ivy
      I have seen some things about this.  As I remember it was not very trans-friendly. The people doing these things seem to minimize the positive aspects of transition, and maximize the potential problems. Basically, make it as difficult as possible (without outright banning it) to discourage anyone from doing it.
    • Willow
      Good morning    woke up to some light rain this morning.  Maybe I should run out with a giant umbrella to cover the car.   Ha ha ha.     I’ve had really nice cars before but never something like this.     @KymmieL I hope you got to go on your ride. Back when I had my Harley we went out for a ride almost every weekend. We would head either SW down the Shenandoah Valley or Skyline Drive which danced along the tops of the Mountains or we would head west into West Virginia and just travel along until it was time to find our way home.   occasionally I wish I still had a bike but I usually quickly for get that. The only thing I ever wanted as a young person that I never had was a late 50s vette.      
    • April Marie
      I admit to wearing make-up. Actually, I'll admit to enjoying wearing make-up. For me, it's been part of learning about myself as a woman and finding a style and look that reflects my personality.    Sometimes, it will just be a bit of mascara and a touch of lipstick. But, most often I wear foundation with setting powder, gel eyeliner, mascara, a little blush on my cheek line and lipstick. I also use an eyebrow pencil to darken my brows a bit.  Infrequently, I will add some eye shadow.   Most of my make-up is from Mary Kay although my lipsticks or from various manufacturers and eyeliners are mostly Maybelline. My wife purchases most of her make-up from Mary Kay and so we order together from our local representative. Of course, I don't have much brand experience but I'm happy with the Mary Kay products and find myself transitioning almost entirely to their line of make-up.
    • KathyLauren
      I did early on, out of necessity.  Regardless of how close you shave, beard shadow shows through.  I just used a bit of foundation, setting powder and blush.    I didn't use much eye makeup.  I started out with a bit of eye liner, but I thought it gave me a "trying too hard" look.  So I mostly didn't use any.   With covid and masking, I stopped using makeup altogether.  Why bother when no one can see your face and the mask smears the makeup anyway?   When restrictions were lifted, I didn't go back to wearing makeup.  My face feminized quite nicely over the first few years of HRT.  I'll never be pretty, but I look more female than male.  (Or I like to tell myself that anyway.)  With several years of electrolysis, and with what facial hair remains turning white, I don't have much beard shadow, so there is nothing to cover up.
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
      Do you use make-up? If so, why and what  types?
    • Heather Shay
      Pride is primarily about yourself, even when it is not you who did something that you are proud about. You can also be proud of something someone else did, who you associate with, such as your children or your favorite football team. People can feel proud of their culture, their family name, or their appearance, none of which require them to actively contribute to the praiseworthy thing1. However, the opinions of others are of crucial importance, as best demonstrated when you purposefully do something that other people praise. Pride is a social emotion, and to feel proud, you need other people’s (real or imagined) confirmation that you have a reason to feel that way. Because of this, other people can also ‘be in your head’ and prevent you from feeling pride. Namely, what is praiseworthy is subjective. Things that may be considered good in a certain (cultural) group may not be praiseworthy in another (e.g., if you grew up in a family that greatly values academics, your athletic abilities may not evoke much praise). Moreover, what is praiseworthy is relative (e.g., if you are a good runner in an athletically average school, you may regularly feel proud about your times; but if you move to a school with highly competent athletes, these same times may seem unremarkable to you). Thus, the more exclusive your quality is in your surroundings, the prouder you feel. Pride has recognizable features. Although its static facial expression (typically a smile or laugh) does not clearly distinguish it from other positive emotions, it typically results in a bodily posture, gestures, and behavior that are clearly recognizable: lifting your chin, looking people in the eye, walking confidently, or in extreme cases, raising arms above your head. In a way, you try to make yourself larger and more noticeable, as if to say: ‘look at me!’ You may also exhibit more perseverance in your activities2. People generally find it very pleasant to experience pride, as it elevates our feeling of social self-worth and status3. At the same time, many social groups, religions, and cultures (especially those that are highly collectivistic, such as the East Asian or African culture) believe that pride needs to be checked. Unchecked pride leads to arrogance and misplaced feelings of superiority (‘letting something get to your head’, ‘hubris comes before the fall’), and social groups typically do not tolerate members feeling like they are superior or deserve special treatment.  
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
    • Heather Shay
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.