• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

When I Came Out...

Guest Father Ford

Guest harvester52

Coming out for me was... kind of weird.

Back when I was in seventh grade (I'm a senior in high school now), I told my mom I was androgynous. I explained to her that I didn't want to be called either gender. I thought that was somehow better or less worse than wanting to be a boy. All my life, whenever my siblings and I played pretend, I was always a boy. I was the dad when we played house. I was the hero that saved the damsel in distress when we played things about princesses and knights. My mom knew of these things as I never hid them throughout my young childhood. As I got older, I bottled it up, and began to hide it because I just wanted to fit into my family. I have two sisters who are one year older than me, and one year younger than me. My brother is five years younger than me, so we never really got along. Five years is a big difference when you're six. I wanted to be one of my sisters. The night I told my mom I was androgyne, she said, "I've never thought of you as one of 'the girls' and I never really thought of you as my 'son'... so I don't mind." She continued to call me female, and what-not as if I had never told her anything.

I never had any real good friends in elementary school until I reached the fifth grade when I finally got up the courage to ask the principal if I could help run the sound system. I needed something to keep me going because at that rate, I was starting to get really depressed, and electronics had always fascinated me. The principal said yes, and that sound system became my best friend. It was unbiased, didn't laugh at me, let me cry on it, and was the biggest comfort I could have as a trans preteen. Then something awful had to happen. I had to move onto middle school. My heart was broke in two. I had to leave my best friend behind, and from that day on, every sound system I worked with became my partner of sorts. That led me to believe that I was technosexual, meaning that I preferred electronics over human beings. This was something else I told my mom that night when I told her I was androgyne. She said she knew that from a very young age because I was always loving up to my electronics. That statement is still true. I find electronic equipment, sound equipment especially, to be asthetically pleasing, and for those familiar with energy work, its energy really calms and relaxes me. I to this day sleep with two soundboards in my bed with me every night.

That coming-out was right before I moved in with my dad. Now, moving in with my dad was both the best thing I ever did, and the worst thing I ever did for myself. I was picked on so much in my mom's neighborhood that I couldn't stand it anymore. I have an IQ of 130, and I was getting straight F's in school. I had to do something. It was getting so bad at that middle school that I had to stay in the same classroom everyday and teachers had to get my lunch for me because if I went into that cafeteria, I was going to get hurt. I had to arrive ten minutes late, and leave ten minutes early to miss the crowds so I wouldn't be beaten up on my way to class. I had to ride the city bus to school everyday because kids liked to shoot what we called "flickers" and "stingers" at me. Flickers were torture devices made from broken bread sack fasteners. The hooked edge of the fastener would go on your finger, and with a strong flick, it would spin through the air, and the broken edge would slice your skin where it hit. Stingers were little strips of paper rolled into hard sticks, shot at you with a rubber band. I went home everyday with welts on my face from such things. I couldn't take this stuff anymore, so I moved.

Now, as soon as I moved, I came out as a lesbian at school. It felt right at the time. I found myself attracted to females as well as sound equipment. I got a little involved in the gay community, and it was nice. It went on like that for a long time. When I was a junior in high school, I joined the diversity club. We were going to go a transgender summit put on by WA state's GLSEN network. There were two FTM's there that shared their stories, and they were already physically transitioning. Their stories spoke to me in a way I cannot describe. They gave me the confidence to proclaim to the world that I was a man and there was nothing anybody could do to tell me otherwise. Unfortunately, that confidence only lasted until I got home that night. My dad lectured me yet again that my spiritual beliefs were BS and that I needed to hide who I was more. Shot down, I cried myself to sleep.

A year later, the pot started to boil over. I couldn't keep it in anymore. Finally, while I was at my mom's, we went out to dinner. She mentioned she was going to have to save surgery on her bladder for some reason, and how much she hated the idea. I said, "I really wouldn't mind having surgery. I plan on having a mastectomy anyway." She gasped, and said, "What?! Do you know what's involved in that? Why would you want to take those risks?" Blah blah blah. We sat down to dinner, and I further explained that I was transsexual, and that for the sake of my well-being, needed to transition into the male that I always knew I should've been. The androgynous facade I put up was only for the family's benefit. She then asked me what name I wanted to go by, and she was so happy to hear that I would one day be able to have a family, and even said that I'd be a great dad. I felt so good, I wanted to cry right there in the middle of the restaurant. Later that evening, I told all of my siblings, and called all the relatives on my mom's side. They are all accepting, and supportive. My mom even said she'd help with paying for HRT and my surgeries.

But the next day, I had to return to my dad's house. My bliss was soon to end. I walked in the front door, gulped, and slowly made my way upstairs. He didn't say anything to me that would've led me to feel that he maybe had somehow found out, so I figured I was O.K. I even got a really short, conservative men's haircut that day, and he didn't say much about it, he even told me it looked better on me than the huge mop of hair that I had before. As soon as my sister pulled out of the driveway, he cornered me. He said, "The school called, and said that you've been telling your teachers to call you BC. That's not O.K. You're completely disrespecting your parents, and you need to tell all those people to call you by the name we gave you." I was crushed. I broke down, and I finally told him. "Dad, the reason that I need to go by another name is because I... well... I'm transgender." He asked, "What does that mean?" I said, "It means that... uhm... I'm physically female, but on the inside, I'm male. I need to have a masculine name." We discussed it for awhile, and I told him to look it up online, and do some research. He did, and it seems that all is relatively well. We don't talk about it. He knows I am going to legally change my name, and go through a sex change. His only request was that I wait until I graduate high school. I'm waiting until then to go legal. However, everywhere I go, I'm read as male. I live full time except at home. My dad refuses to call me his son, and continues to use that hideous legal name. Everybody at work and school calls me Bruce or BC and uses male pronouns. They all know, and are all accepting.

All in all, my coming out went relatively well. The only people who I know will not be happy about it are my grandparents on my dad's side. They do not know yet, and are hardcore Christians, so strict you can't put your elbows on the table at dinner time. I have plenty of horror stories about them, but those are for another thread. This is simply (and long-windedly) my coming out story... from my first false coming out to my current, accurate, and 100% truthful coming out that happened just last December.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest GoldenKirbichu

Wow, that's a pretty cool story... Mine wasn't nearly as interesting. I just said "Kay, I just figured out the name for what's been making me feel like crud for the past fifteen years; there it is, if you don't like it you can bite me".

But hey, you sound like a pretty cool guy.

Guest SilverArrow

Wow, I'm surprised your dad actually accepted the idea in the end, it seemed almost as though he'd be the type to kick you back to your mom's.

Don't worry about the getting picked on though, it happens to a lot of people. I was the one in grade school that always got the short end of the stick in that regard, although I finally had enough and decided to fight back. I lost a lot of fights back then... So as you can see, there's always someone that gets hurt, but at least we're understanding because of it. We know what it's like, and are all the better for it because we can work towards a better future. I hope everything works out for you, you're mom's side sound really supportive. Keep close to them.

Guest harvester52

He probably would have kicked me back to my mom's if I weren't two months from graduating high school. He and I just don't talk about it. I've told all my coworkers at the TV station that they aren't allowed to call my home phone so the subject won't come up when my boss calls me "BC" and "he" on the phone if my dad accidently answers.

It makes work hard because they can't call me in for meetings, or what-not... but it will only be temporary until I start getting regular paychecks and can get my own cell phone, or move to my mom's after graduation... whichever happens first.

-Bruce

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 97 Guests (See full list)

• LucyF
    • MirandaB
    • April Marie
    • MaybeRob
    • Heather Shay
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Justine76
    Newest Member
    Justine76

1. April Marie
      April Marie
    2. daniela...
      daniela...
      (59 years old)
    3. Emily May
      Emily May
    4. Felixr
      Felixr
      (20 years old)
    5. Leann
      Leann
      (56 years old)
    • April Marie
      Good morning, everyone! We're back from a short vacation with friends to the mountains of NC. It was a fun time driving the twisty mountain roads.   Now it's back to reality of cutting grass, washing windows and putting in screens and putting out the porch furniture. Coming home to warmer weather than when we left is glorious.   Happy Anniversary @Willow!    I hope your family is feeling better @KymmieL - my wife and I shared a stomach virus several weeks ago that was horrid.   Hang in there @Birdie, it will all work out!!   Have a wonderful day, everyone!
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      I think many Christians end up with a false dichotomy.  If we didn't choose to be how we are, then something in our environment did it. Is going along with it a sin?  Maybe.  But if so, its one of those times where we mess something up no matter what we do.  Part of the imperfect nature of this fallen world is that there are times where we'll sin no matter what we do.  In a no-win scenario like that, we do the wisest thing possible with our free will. 
    • EasyE
      This is the crux of my anguish these many, many months (years!) and where I go back-and-forth with my own journey ... I was born a biological male. No denying that in my case. But I have a lot of internal feminine leanings and external ones, too. I prefer to wear women's clothes 100 percent of the time (if I could). I wish I had the female plumbing. I long for that badly sometimes. I don't know why or where that came from but no denying that either. I have started HRT because I like the idea of having a more feminine physical body and some of the "perks" that go with that. I just asked my doc to up my dose to the next level today!   So the big question I ask myself is: am I knowingly disobeying God, who likes order and made humans male and female, by taking these steps? This is my wife's take on things. "You are sinning. You know God made you a male biologically. Yet you are willfully pursuing transition to being something God didn't intend you to be regardless of what you feel inside, what your preferences are, etc."  I keep trying to tell her it's much more complex than that but sometimes I don't even know what I think...   This ties up in knots and makes me angry and makes me feel stuck!!! I don't want to disobey my Creator and Savior and yet I have this strong, strong leaning toward the feminine in many ways (that keeps getting stronger and refuses to go away no matter how much I have tried to stuff it away!!) ... It feels like misery no matter which path I take - if I "give in" to the feminine, which I have been doing a lot the past 12 months or so, am I endangering my soul? Am I creating scandal? Yet the thought of putting the feminine aside feels, at times, like death too (or is it just me being self-centered and unwilling to bend the knee to my Creator who would ask me to give this up as a testament to my love for him...   I don't know. I don't know. I don't know!! But sometimes I really really F***ing hate this quandary... 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      We use a ton of Harbor Freight stuff here.  They have pretty good warranty, too, I guess.  GF beats all heck out of sockets and things, and if she takes them back they get replaced for free.  Harbor Freight was junk 20 years ago, but its really good now.  Craftsman used to be good 20 years ago, but now its junk (but they still want to charge made-in-the-usa prices).  Dewalt is now Chinese also, when it used to be made in Germany.  Older Dewalt tools are good, but GF got a really bad hand injury a few years ago from a Chinese Dewalt drill bit that shattered.  Some of the name brands just aren't what they used to be. 
    • awkward-yet-sweet
      Honestly, all the numbers are monkey math.  Doesn't matter who's in charge.  Trump kept crowing about the damn stock market, which didn't make a difference to normal people.  All the "job creation" is an illusion.  They consider it job creation when they take good full time jobs, and split them in half to "make" two part-time or temp jobs.  Not totally a Biden problem, as this has been going on for decades now.  Things *began* to get better under Trump.  A bit.  Maybe 8 years would have been better, but it wouldn't have fixed it.  Too much damage.    To me, Trump is a case of "too little, too late."  In my opinion, we need more - a true nationalist, with an aggressive and isolationist foreign policy.  And we needed him 50 years ago.  I want to see:   High import tariffs, a currency backed by precious metals, no more "climate" stuff and repudiation of all "accords" or other agreements, elimination of excess government agencies like the FBI and EPA, and total seizure of foreign-owned assets on US soil - with sale and disbursement of profits to our citizens.  And that would be a basic start.  Instead of "sanctions" to interrupt the trade of nations we don't like, Congress should instead issue letters-of-marque as described in the Constitution.  I'd like to see an alliance with Russia, and an end to nearly a century of useless conflict.    Trump won't do any of those things.  He's a sad, pale imitation of the leaders that founded our nation.     
    • KymmieL
      Well I got some terrible news today. My therapist is a doctoral intern at the VA. Her internship is ending the end of July. Normally interns just continue with the VA after their degree is done. However, VA has a hiring freeze on. So, I am going to loose one of the best therapists I have ever had. One that actually cares about me. I do have a few months till she leaves, Thankfully.   Other than that. my wife and youngest are both sick. Don't know if they got it worse that I had on Thurs/Friday. Or I am destine to get it too.   I've got tools that range from cheapy flea market stuff all the way up to high grade, Mac and Snap-on. Most have lasted me for quite a long time. I am diligently trying to keep my happy arse out or the Snap-on truck when he comes every Thurs. So far, I have resisted. But the temptation is there.   Kymmie
    • RaineOnYourParade
      IMO: If politicians stopped focusing on which bathrooms people were using and, you know, the actual issues of the country, maybe we could work on that 30+ trillion dollar debt of ours? Put more effort into international cooperation? Consider ways to improve education? Literally anything more productive than worrying about what's in some lady's pants you'll never meet?
    • VickySGV
      I have been thinking of this one a bit today since my first response here.  If you check out the relation that Peter had with Jesus and you can see that even Jesus was criticized for being who Jesus was by Peter.  In that relationship which I have come to think was more of a Chosen Family situation than genetic family,  Peter was telling Jesus who Peter thought Jesus should be. Especially when it came to Jesus being killed for what his true identity was.  Transgender is very much an issue of identity and not primarily about sexuality.  Sexuality is the BIG thing with certain religious groups and if you look at it, it is always about pro-creating kids into certain genealogies and making them new church members. 
    • Willow
      Good evening   @Adrianna Danielle wow 13 years out of a harbor freight tool.  That’s amazing, and lucky.  I read an article recently about how harbor freight does make inexpensive tools. It seems that some percentage of them are expected to fail in some manner.  However they are typically made with the same laborers  parts design as name brand high end tools.  If you get a good one it can last for a long time.
    • Adrianna Danielle
      Needed,my 3/4 drive air impact is about to give out.Bought it from Harbor Freight 13 years ago and got my money out of it
    • MaeBe
      Happy anniversary @Willow!   Good luck, @Birdie!   Congratulations on the new gear @Adrianna Danielle!   My family is currently considering a big move. My wife applied for and received an offer for a job in WA. If all things are equal I am down for a change of scenery, but it’s not that simple. Much maths are about to happen…wish me luck! ;)
    • MaeBe
      Or they could live and let live and not clog the courts with games of roulette? To absolve the attempt based on a perceived chance of success is gambling in another guise.   Sure, it could all be marketing to gin up the base, but we see it constantly getting pushed at the local, State, and Federal levels. Don’t we want lawmakers focused on issues of import? Maybe we’re a distraction, but that means we become social targets. If we’re really just a side show game to them, they obviously don’t give a damn what the repercussions are for us; we’re just lambs for slaughter. So why support people or adjacent policies that do that to us? Why believe these jaguars won’t eat your face when they tell you that, if they can, they will?
    • Sorourke
      Thank you so much, hugs Stefi 
    • MaeBe
      Manufacturing jobs have increased by nearly 800k since Biden’s inauguration. Deficits and debt are up as well, which water down some of the positive metrics.  Given the fact we were coming out of a pandemic and then into a global economy affected by a Russian aggression and then a war in the Middle East, things wouldn’t be ideal. But we’re not on a gold standard anymore. Government budgets aren’t household budgets. Inflation was up but is coming down, which means that government spending isn’t uncontrolled.  Honest news media? Which news are we referring to? I recommend looking into Ground.news and their blind spot feature. It will show you, regardless of your leanings, what you’re not seeing in your typically consumed news.    MAGA is not about making America great again or otherwise. It’s a marketing cult for populist conservatism, aka the cult of Trump. America being great is not bad or a bad idea, but its choice as the moniker of the campaign is not-so-subtle political marketing. By default, no one wants to argue against the idea, however it creates a dichotomy where “the other side must not want (or is actively trying to destroy) it”. It’s an empty slogan because America was no greater during the Trump years and you can logically argue our global cache was diminished during his term, which was marked by sentiment of the US being a unilateral agitator. 
    • missyjo
      smiles I think I need to help him find a way to simply love others, regardless of identifying with them or understanding their journey..but I thought I recall stories of Jesus being asked which of 10 laws were greatest..n the answer being 1. God us God n have no other gods you worship..asking forgiveness to friends who practice religions with polydieties..but I think catholic say 1 god..n the 2nd rule is almost as important..love each other as I have loved you   maybe if I can focus him on we all believe God wants us to love n help each..maybe he'll forget the footnote he seems to be inserting, unless they are lgbt..then they go to hell...nerd   sorry probably too politically charged..delete if so with my apologies  hugs to all who want them
  • Upcoming Events

Contact TransPulse

TransPulse can be contacted in the following ways:

Email: Click Here.

To report an error on this page.

Legal

Your use of this site is subject to the following rules and policies, whether you have read them or not.

Terms of Use
Privacy Policy
DMCA Policy
Community Rules

Hosting

Upstream hosting for TransPulse provided by QnEZ.

Sponsorship

Special consideration for TransPulse is kindly provided by The Breast Form Store.