• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Gender Ideas Illustrated

Guest Evan_J

Guest Evan_J

Hmmmm. I don't want this to go anywhere crazy so folks try to keep it "containable".ie no fighting about transmen having babies thats not where I wanna go. But as usual I was wandering around the internet bumping into stuff I didn't know was going to be there. And I came across this photo. It was part of a question about fathers and paternity leave. So it wasn't part of a "joke" or anything. The comments of course about that topic though had a lot to do with gender. In the end it made me wonder how the picture affected people in terms of their ideas and feelings about gender.

Does it have an affect on us here? If so what is it?

(and yes I edited his gown just a little more coverage to pass the censors so forgive the telltale nonartistic attempt:rolleyes: )

Guest A.S.

Never thought they would come across that.... I heard one about a man who gave birth to the baby which he's one of us.... I do remember there was a movie about a man gave birth by doing researching or something... I forgot the name of it. It been a while back if i could recalled.

Guest Princess Elle

That picture made me go :huh: and a little voice went "that's so wrong..." I guess it's because I have never seen a picture of a man who just gave birth to a baby. If I seen more pictures and know the background information on it better, I would see it as normal. That could be true one day in the future and I'm positive that when it happens, I'll support it. (Mainly to teach men how hard it is to give birth :lol:) I kid, I kid! :P

Guest Lee-Asher Geo-James

My reaction to the picture is "mhm"

Really it seems "Normal" to me.

Like I don't think it looks wrong or whatever. :blink:

Maybe because I don't see Gender as anything that has to do with giving birth. :huh:

I don't know. :lol:

Just seems right to me I guess you could say.

I probably made no sense what so ever. <_<

*hugs*

LeeAsher

Guest Donna Jean

The picture doesn't assault my senses like it might someone outside of the community.....

Because my being here has broadened my horizons...

But, at first look, I do find it rather incongruous as one would if they saw something totally out of the norm.

A transman having a child? Well, look at how many Transwomen here, have fathered a child. It's just the way it is....

Weird pic, but, totally understandable.....

Donna Jean

Guest lvmyftm
Never thought they would come across that.... I heard one about a man who gave birth to the baby which he's one of us.... I do remember there was a movie about a man gave birth by doing researching or something... I forgot the name of it. It been a while back if i could recalled.

Wasn't that the movie that the Governator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) was in? I remember that one as well. I remember thinking wouldnt that be nice if men could carry babies too. But in reality men are too big of babies to handle being prego and giving birth, sorry but true. Thomas Beattie is the transman that has very publicly given birth. I have issues with him. I live in the same state as him and have gotten inside information from people he contacted prior to getting prego that he did so not only to have a family with his wife but to also make money off it if. If a transman wants to have a baby of his own and give birth to it so be it, its not my place to place judgement on that. But to do so publicly and make a big show of it I think discredits all other transmen and in a way is a step backwards in them being viewed as real men in society. But that is just my opinion for what is is worth.

The pic you posted is very obvious artwork that is meant to make a point. Just cuz you didn't physically give birth doesn't mean you aren't needed at home with a newborn. The pic in and of itself doesn't strike any nerves or reactions with me, more of a thought provoking piece.

Guest My_Genesis
But in reality men are too big of babies to handle being prego and giving birth, sorry but true.

Actually, you are right. :) Women actually have a higher threshold for pain than men do (sorry bros, it's a scientific fact, even though us guys like to act all manly and pretend we're not in pain when we are :P) and the reason women biologically can handle more pain is so that they can better handle the pain of childbirth.

Thomas Beattie is the transman that has very publicly given birth. I have issues with him. I live in the same state as him and have gotten inside information from people he contacted prior to getting prego that he did so not only to have a family with his wife but to also make money off it if. If a transman wants to have a baby of his own and give birth to it so be it, its not my place to place judgement on that. But to do so publicly and make a big show of it I think discredits all other transmen and in a way is a step backwards in them being viewed as real men in society. But that is just my opinion for what is is worth.

I actually agree with you there. I would not want to be pregnant, I think in a way men are biologically programmed to not have such a desire, but women are, because they have that maternal instinct and all. So in a way I feel like a man wanting to get pregnant does not do much to help our case as transmen, because we just want to be accepted as men. So it's mainly the societal implications that I have an issue with. But my personal feelings about it aside, I don't want to judge his decision. But the publicity surrounding it I kinda have an issue with.

Guest My_Genesis
The pic you posted is very obvious artwork that is meant to make a point. Just cuz you didn't physically give birth doesn't mean you aren't needed at home with a newborn. The pic in and of itself doesn't strike any nerves or reactions with me, more of a thought provoking piece.

Sorry for the double post. I agree with you here as well.

Thomas Beattie is the transman that has very publicly given birth. I have issues with him. I live in the same state as him and have gotten inside information from people he contacted prior to getting prego that he did so not only to have a family with his wife but to also make money off it if. If a transman wants to have a baby of his own and give birth to it so be it, its not my place to place judgement on that. But to do so publicly and make a big show of it I think discredits all other transmen and in a way is a step backwards in them being viewed as real men in society. But that is just my opinion for what is is worth.

He really did it for money!?!?!?!??!?!?

Guest Evan_J
He really did it for money!?!?!?!??!?!?

I can't decide if the "!?"'s indicate sarcasm or you really didn' t know, so assuming you didn't yes, the strong word in the vine is he did it for money.

That aside though. I (like many of you ) thought cerebrally that I was "used to" the idea of a male body having a baby cuz its discussed in trans circles from a lot of perspectives but when I saw the "graphic"/actual visual of it it "jarred" me and like princess elle's words my viseral response was that it was outside of what I put in the actions/functions of males.

No real statements about it. Just gauging my reaction I suppose. Found that interesting that even being trans and talking about all kinds of stuff when confronted with a visual of the body that was what I had. Wondered about others.

Guest Ami James
Wasn't that the movie that the Governator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) was in? I remember that one as well. I remember thinking wouldnt that be nice if men could carry babies too. But in reality men are too big of babies to handle being prego and giving birth, sorry but true. Thomas Beattie is the transman that has very publicly given birth. I have issues with him. I live in the same state as him and have gotten inside information from people he contacted prior to getting prego that he did so not only to have a family with his wife but to also make money off it if. If a transman wants to have a baby of his own and give birth to it so be it, its not my place to place judgement on that. But to do so publicly and make a big show of it I think discredits all other transmen and in a way is a step backwards in them being viewed as real men in society. But that is just my opinion for what is is worth.

I believe so that it was who played by Arnold Schwarenegger. Ain't too sure... It been forever since I watched that darn movie...

I got to agree what ya post about the pic.

I can't decide if the "!?"'s indicate sarcasm or you really didn' t know, so assuming you didn't yes, the strong word in the vine is he did it for money.

I really didn't know. Honestly.

That's horrible that he did that. :(

Guest NatashaJade
I believe so that it was who played by Arnold Schwarenegger. Ain't too sure... It been forever since I watched that darn movie...

I got to agree what ya post about the pic.

A film called "Junior." Strangely successful film in that weird line of Schwartzenegger/DeVito comedies.

luv

Gin

Guest Ami James

On Thomas Beattie topic,

I would be shame of him if he done for attention.

Back on the Movie....

I remember it now... Junior. That's it then... and yeah it is strange movie... I didn't think that movie going to popular back in old days

Guest Ami James
The cross realities of our biology is what be have to deal with and work with everyday

Hate to say... I got to agree with bernii.

Guest Ami James

Ok, I got a question...

When trans man gave birth, what would make him a daddy still or a mommy?

Does that ever come cross y'all minds?

Guest Elizabeth K

Before you go off the subject. I raised a newborn daughter - all but the first two months when my mother helped me - for about a year and a half - without help, after my wife died in birthing her. Yes I am trans and had the instincts perhaps. But I didn't know it at the time. People are capable of being a mother or a father (I am really both) if they just get past the stereotyping!

Lizzy

Guest Evan_J
Before you go off the subject. I raised a newborn daughter - all but the first two months when my mother helped me - for about a year and a half - without help, after my wife died in birthing her. Yes I am trans and had the instincts perhaps. But I didn't know it at the time. People are capable of being a mother or a father (I am really both) if they just get past the stereotyping!

Lizzy

That actually is very true. Cisgendered "man's men" can be very maternal. Likewise there are quite a few ciswomen who are lovin being women who do a great job of fathering.;

And to answer your question to the best of my knowledge......

Ok, I got a question...

When trans man gave birth, what would make him a daddy still or a mommy?

Does that ever come cross y'all minds?

In their family of course that depends on whats been decided.

Legally and on paper it depends on the state you are in , whether or not you are legally your transitioned sex on paper , and what that state allows if you are male. I say thtat because I do know of one father who is listed on his childs birthcertificate as the father.

Guest Ami James

Don't mean to offend anyone if i ever did but I am learning. It is pretty cool to able to be who we are... Such as being both mom and dad.