• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

What If Gender Roles Were Completely Abolished?

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Guest praisedbeherhooves

Let's say gender roles were completely abolished. People do not have to dress all the same. In fact, you see masculine, feminine and androgynous looking people mixed together all the time. It's just that they aren't considered androgynous, masculien or feminine looking because there are no more gender roles. A dress is no longer for females. It's just clothing. Everyone dressed how they want and no one cared. People are not treated differently based on what gender they look like, because there are no longer are gender roles. However, biologically things are the same. People with XY chromosomes generally have male genitals and people with XX chromosomes generally have female genitals, though they aren't labeled as male or female and no one is treated differently based on them. How would you feel in such a world?

Guest Elizabeth K
Let's say gender roles were completely abolished. People do not have to dress all the same. In fact, you see masculine, feminine and androgynous looking people mixed together all the time. It's just that they aren't considered androgynous, masculien or feminine looking because there are no more gender roles. A dress is no longer for females. It's just clothing. Everyone dressed how they want and no one cared. People are not treated differently based on what gender they look like, because there are no longer are gender roles. However, biologically things are the same. People with XY chromosomes generally have male genitals and people with XX chromosomes generally have female genitals, though they aren't labeled as male or female and no one is treated differently based on them. How would you feel in such a world?

My body would still not be a match with what I really am. I would have to fix that - but ideally, who would care other than me?

Lizzy

Interesting question. See we all turn around and say "I wish people didn't care about my gender" and while to extent that is true, I think I'd feel lost without the labels.

I don't like to label myself as such but certain aspects of my self I feel a need to label myself. I don't know why. I think labels are bad and good. Labels can cause discrimination but labels also help to find people who have similar interests to you. Labels help us identify with a certain group of people.

I wish people didn't care what was between my legs and just saw me male the whole time regardless. But I would feel lost without the labels of male, female and androgynous.

What your saying is being seen as no gender right? I don't like the idea of no genders or anything. What I do wish for is for people to see people as the genders they wish/feel they should be seen as!

Guest My_Genesis
My body would still not be a match with what I really am. I would have to fix that - but ideally, who would care other than me?

Lizzy

I agree with Lizzy. I've thought about this and being trans isn't about conforming to gender roles that are not those assigned to your birth sex; it's biological and internal. I would still internally feel I should have a male body.

Guest Donna Jean

I also agree......

For me...it's not necessarily the role ...as the dysphoria of being in the wrong body!

If I fix that, I could accept a lot more in society....male/female/neutral....

Donna Jean

Guest NatashaJade

Much as others have answered, this isn't about clothes. It's about body congruency. It would be nice not to have to worry about societal norms and reactions, but I would still transition.

luv

Gin

Guest Opal

I think it might bother some people who identify closely with their appearance. But on the other hand, it would allow one to make friends and develop a love for a significant other that wouldn't be based so much on appearance.

I guess what I'm trying to say is loving someone for who they are on the inside, not what appears on the outside.

Hope this makes sense.

Hugs!

Opal

Guest Micha

For me, clothes aren't so much the issue. It's the expected behaviors, acceptable standards and such, the gender roles in society. Certainly if there were no gender bias in clothes I would dress more freely, but what bothers me most about the way things are is how I'm expected to be. I'm not manly in my behavior or ambitions, and I don't want to have to be. If in this theoretical world I could act and live without anyone else shoving their expectations down my throat, I'd probably be happy.

I can also see what people are saying though about erasing the existence of gender identification. That's going further than abolishing gender roles, and descriptions of identification do provide as sense of security or empowerment. It's the discrimination against such descriptions that need to be done away with, prolly not the identities themselves.

Guest My_Genesis

Gender identity is internal; if you truly have a gender identity opposite, or at least not congruent with, your birth sex, sans societal pressure there would still be an internal conflict.

Guest Elizabeth K
For me, clothes aren't so much the issue. It's the expected behaviors, acceptable standards and such, the gender roles in society. Certainly if there were no gender bias in clothes I would dress more freely, but what bothers me most about the way things are is how I'm expected to be. I'm not manly in my behavior or ambitions, and I don't want to have to be. If in this theoretical world I could act and live without anyone else shoving their expectations down my throat, I'd probably be happy.

I can also see what people are saying though about erasing the existence of gender identification. That's going further than abolishing gender roles, and descriptions of identification do provide as sense of security or empowerment. It's the discrimination against such descriptions that need to be done away with, prolly not the identities themselves.

Your avatar - Vertigo Sandman's sister 'DEATH" - my fa-vo-rite in the entire series! YEAAAAAAAA

ooops - off Topic! sorry!

Lizzy

Guest Micha
Your avatar - Vertigo Sandman's sister 'DEATH" - my fa-vo-rite in the entire series! YEAAAAAAAA

ooops - off Topic! sorry!

Lizzy

Yup. :wub: She's awesome.

• Forum Moderator

For me-as a probably bi-gendered person whose primary state is male-I'm new enough at this to say its a best guess right now-I have to say I would miss gender roles because you really couldn't ave gender identity without some sort of gender roles. I am driven to be what I am. The issue for me is enjoying and accepting it.

So my perfect world would be total gender acceptance and celebration. All voices would be heard and respected. All variations valued for the unique perspectives and gifts each has to offer.

My pain-and the pain I believe of so many others is not that we are transgendered but that there is so much fear and rejection. Sure most people would still need to transition but with acceptance the road would be much, much easier and faster.

I'm glad I'm me now-my regret is all the time I wasted and the care I will still have to use in my life.

You know I just decided to have a little gender celebration party for myself as soon as I can get to town and buy a little chocolate cake and some ice cream.

Everybody is invited!

Hey I just realized I want the world to be like Lauras....

JJ

Guest Jo22

i'm not sure if i would be happier in a world like that. i believe that while gender is internal, it is an aspect of identity, which is in part a social construction. therefore, i feel that gender is difficult to separate from gender roles to the extent that acting in a certain gender specific manner is an expression of internal gendered identity. for me, the incongruence between my identity and my body manifests as a rejection of male gender, and hence the social expectations associated with it. if you if the social and cultural world did not construct gender roles, i think part of my identity would cease to exist. :o