• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Word Of Warning To Walmartians!

Guest AshleySummers

Guest AshleySummers

In addition to my resurfacing on the boards, I wanted to share a little bit about how I was received by upper management when I announced I was trans, and that I would begin presenting as Ashley at work potentially as soon as August.

I first let my 3rd shift immediate supervisors know, in a little bit of a meeting. They offered their support, and told me they would discuss a set of guidelines for me with HR and the store manager.

A few days later, I spoke with the store manager about it, he agreed to let me return to days in June, and then proceeded to give me the rules he claimed "Are Walmart's policies on transpeople."

1. Until my name change is legal, I will not be allowed to wear a name badge that reads my desired name. Even if I agree to present fulltime 100%, unless my name is changed I have to wear a "Frank" badge no matter what I'm wearing.

2. Until SURGERY is 100% complete, I am to follow the male dress code. Essentially this means I am forbidden from wearing a skirt, v-neck shirts, and sleeves that don't cover 3/4ths of my upper arm. And if you think that's offensive, just wait.

3. Finally, until surgery is 100% complete, and keep in mind my SRS goal is the fall of 2012, I am to use MALE RESTROOMS within the store. I am also forbidden from using the private bathroom for Tire & Lube Express employees that is located out in the lube shop. This I will not stand for.

So, a two-part question follows: If I ignore their rules, and they fire me, do you think I would be able to claim unemployment in Indiana? and secondly, does anyone know a good lawyer? Because that sure as hell isn't "Respect for the Individual"

Guest angie

NO I would NOT settle for anything less than being

treated and called by your name and female pronouns,

have the right to present in your gender,and get to use

the proper facilities,for your protection. That is what RLE/RLT

is all about. I would suggest writting Bentonville HR department

today,get it straight what WallyWorlds policy is on a trans person

transitioning on the job.Personally,I hope they make your manager

have to eat crow.(evil smile)

Your post sure got my attention didn't it?

Hugs Sweety,

Angelique

P.S.

I am very glad you posted this instead of keeping in all inside.

Good Girl.

Guest JessicaLynn

This post caught my attention. Before I started working at my current job, I worked at a Walmart store in Sacramento, CA for a good 6 months. Now, this could be due to a difference in state laws, but I didn't run into the same walls you are hitting. As soon as I was hired, like literally within a month I came out to my superiors as trans. I had a private sit down with one of them. It was all very pleasant. We went over everything I planned to do and how I wished to bring the news to other co-workers. During this meeting I was informed of the name change rule.... HOWEVER they told me not to worry, as long as i could show i had some kind of bill (proof of my new name) or something to that effect that they would consider it changed under common law and allow me to use my name of choice. The restroom thing was a problem for.. like a day, until they worked out a compromise that worked for everyone. Any single person restrooms were open to me, and all but one public and employee restroom was free for me to use. They informed employees that if anyone was uncomfortable sharing a restroom with me that they could use the one restroom that i was asked not to use. This worked better than you can imagine. It meant i could still use the mens room if i felt it appropriate or use the womens if i needed to.. and no one could complain. I was never informed of being required to follow a gender specific dress code. I was allowed to wear a face full of make up and whatever clothes that were appropriate for work. Aside from some coworkers being a little rude at first and stuff (not entirely their fault, lack of knowledge.) I really did not have a problem transitioning at walmart.

If I were you I would take your issue to the next person up in the food chain. The person you spoke to may not be fully aware of the policies or could possibly be inserting their own ideals into their expectations of you. Keep in mind that most rules, especially the gender specific dress code can be EASILY worked around by simply showing whats feminine and masculine is a matter of opinion.

Also, I am curious about the whole "100% surgery completion" thing. Not even social security or birth certificate changes require 100% surgery. They just require "some kind of surgery that changes the sex characteristics". Also, how did they tell you they need to be informed of it? Letter from a doctor, DL change, SS change, ect?

If they do fire you for it, the ACLU would probably be who you would want to ask to represent you legally. And as far as I know, if they fire you, you are eligible for unemployment.

Hope everything goes well for you doll. Keep us updated!

Guest Erin Girl to Be

From what I read in the newspapers here in Chicago, try contacting William Borah in Chicago.

He has won several really high profile cases. He may be able to help.

Erin

In addition to my resurfacing on the boards, I wanted to share a little bit about how I was received by upper management when I announced I was trans, and that I would begin presenting as Ashley at work potentially as soon as August.

I first let my 3rd shift immediate supervisors know, in a little bit of a meeting. They offered their support, and told me they would discuss a set of guidelines for me with HR and the store manager.

A few days later, I spoke with the store manager about it, he agreed to let me return to days in June, and then proceeded to give me the rules he claimed "Are Walmart's policies on transpeople."

1. Until my name change is legal, I will not be allowed to wear a name badge that reads my desired name. Even if I agree to present fulltime 100%, unless my name is changed I have to wear a "Frank" badge no matter what I'm wearing.

2. Until SURGERY is 100% complete, I am to follow the male dress code. Essentially this means I am forbidden from wearing a skirt, v-neck shirts, and sleeves that don't cover 3/4ths of my upper arm. And if you think that's offensive, just wait.

3. Finally, until surgery is 100% complete, and keep in mind my SRS goal is the fall of 2012, I am to use MALE RESTROOMS within the store. I am also forbidden from using the private bathroom for Tire & Lube Express employees that is located out in the lube shop. This I will not stand for.

So, a two-part question follows: If I ignore their rules, and they fire me, do you think I would be able to claim unemployment in Indiana? and secondly, does anyone know a good lawyer? Because that sure as hell isn't "Respect for the Individual"

Guest angie

FYI Girls,

For your marker to be changed with Social Security,

You must have the letter from your surgeon saying

you are now 100% female.

And that from a SS rep when I had my name change

and the court awarded marker change,when I asked

if my marker would be changed as well with SSI.

I told him that that will be my reward for completing my journey.

Angelique

Guest Austen

I'm doing the transition thing in Indiana too and have a few tips for you:

1. if you haven't already done so, and you are living full time, ask your doctor for a letter requesting a change of gender on your driver's license. Thanks to some clutch lobbying efforts Indiana statutes allow for change of license with a doctor's note. Get that changed ASAP.

2. File your name change paperwork ASAP. IN the meantime, ask if there's a compromise you can do. "F Lastname" is much better than "Frank."

3. With the corrected license you may have more leverage to ask for a compromise position - be sure to lean on the fact that using the men's restroom is both dangerous for you and unsettling for customers - moreso than you using the women's, or a unisex bathroom.

Indiana is an at-will state, and if you are fired from there you will not receive unemployment. (Termination outside of layoff pretty much makes unemployment a no-go.) However, I _strongly_ recommend working up your resume, putting your name out there, and trying to land a new job. I myself went through three jobs during the first few months of transition: at the first job I was just an effeminate gay man, at the second i was an androgynous man, and at the third (my job now) i am a woman. Trust me: finding a new job will be a lot easier than transitioning OTJ, if you can swing it.

Also, if you can I suggest moving to Lafayette, Bloomington, or Indianapolis, as those are the three cities/municipalities in Indiana that have trans protections on the books. It just makes things easier.

Hope this helps!

Guest Hoslers_wife

Unfortunately I have no idea of indiana laws. I know here, depending on the company, you could take them to court and depending on how long you worked there file for unemployment. That is completely unfair. If you need the money I'd say start looking for a different job. If you don't NEED the money (ie live at home and could get by) LEAVE!!!!!!!!!!!

That's not right, fair, or O.K. in anyway!

Guest chngnwnd

I worked as an assistant manager for Wal-Mart and I am a little surprised by the list of rules. Specifically, the fact that they want to require you to use your "legal" name. I admit it was 10 years ago, but we always allowed associates to put the name they wanted to be referred to as on their badges - it was all part of the "respect for the individual" part of the culture. It sounds like you have a case to go to upper management because they are certainly not respecting you and your needs.

Guest foxy

i'm a little surprised about the rules on cloths, i have been dressing at work and have not had a word said to me. i would highly suggest you bring up JessicaLynn's idea with your store manager. i have been experiencing first hand the danger of going into the males restroom. lots of stares, even scared 2 customers so bad that they bolted out of the restroom thinking it was the wrong one. if your store is like mine, you should have family restrooms, many employees use them at my store, which in my current situation i have begun using it as-well.

to my knowledge dress code is kaki colors pants/shorts/skirts on sales floor and a navy blue polo.... for overnight stoker and ice its bluejeans and a navy polo. i never once did it say anywhere that they had to be sex appropriate.

if you need to look anything up, the wire has all the policies you need, or you could ask personnel, i do believe they are the equivalent of the stores hr.

i believe your store manager was playing off your lack of knowledge of policies... so i think it would be a good idea to brush up on the correct policies so you can not have any issues, trust me i almost had to take it to the district level to get things taken care of.

as my team lead told me, in this company you have to step on toes to get things done. just make sure to be respectful while doing it, follow the chain of command and be polite and things will be taken care of.

hugs,

Amanda

Guest Ashley C.

Hey Ashley, you don't have to wait til you get fired to sue them--all you have to do is prove that you're subject to disparate treatment while you're working, or that you've been subjected to a hostile work environment. Find a good civil rights attorney, and he/she should be able to tell you all you need to know :).

Personally, I'd love it if you sued Wal-Mart lol...that whole company needs to be taken down a peg or ten for the way it treats its employees.

Guest Bailey

Ashley,

I just wanted to comment on what chgnwnd said. I was also and Assistant Manager at Wal-Mart Just a year ago and store policy is that you can put whatever name you want on your badge as long as it was not offensive. I went by a nickname that showed up on none of my legal documents. They are not allowed to force you to a specific name. They are just trying to make you uncomfortable. As far as dress code, I also say that they are making up or taking their interpretation of the rules way to literaly. As long as you are wearing the appropriate color scheme, I would never have found any reason to fault you. I hope that things get better for you. If you would lik any specifics about Wal-Mart policy or just want to talk give me a holler. I will be happy to answer or if I don't know I still have friends in management at several stores that I can ask to find out.

With Love,

Aislinn

Guest Esperanza Xochitl

If you want to change this, you hit the entire corporation where it hurts: profits. The best ways to do that to a corporation is one of two aproaches legal and activist. For legal once ENDA passes, that will help. An activist aproach would be getting a boycott going. I'd join a boycott, picket and advocate others to do such a thing if you got out a call for that.

Guest Sannara

Ashley,

I am not a Lawyer or expert of any kind, but I've run across people like you discribe all my life. I've learned a thing two that I'd like to share.

If you'd like some instant gratification, it might be possible to make him eat a little crow and keep your job, but like all things theres the risk. But, from what you say, there were others above this "creature" who were not opposed or even supportive.

"I first let my 3rd shift immediate supervisors know, in a little bit of a meeting. They offered their support, and told me..."

I do know BS doesn't fly, unless you let it.

Darling if you are willing to take the chance of losing your job, Then fight. I'd write a letter to whomever above him and him, to hold over his head when requesting those rules and where they are in the Walmart Employee handbook, directives or whatever, and I might even be brash enough to tell him my "attorney requested it". An I'd have his name ready too. --(Never go for Bear, with empty barrels).

What can he do? He could trump up some reason to fire you, yes--(but honestly that might already be on his mind). But because you are ready to "CC" those above him, Unless it's his cousins, he'll have reason to take pause.

Results: He changes his tune, fine, congrates on the win, but understand your relation ship under this guy might get better,--(he gains respect for you.) or if he's real crud, you will need to watch your back, cross your "t's" and dot..., You know what I mean.

I know this may reflect a mean streak in me, but I've learned respect is rarely given, it more often a result of the demand for it.

I don't know if this helps, but I offer it as a solution. It may be poor advise--(reaching for my kitchen knife), perhaps, but I just don't want him to get away with that.

Hang in there. --Hugs Sannara

Guest lvmyftm

What about Frankie as the name on the name tag? That is at least somewhat gender neutral and still has your legal name in it. The bathroom thing is just not ok and I somehow doubt that is really walmarts policy...and if it is then screw shopping there ever again! Pretty sure you could find something to wear other than a dress that would make you and them ok with.

Guest chngnwnd

I would like to comment on what Sannara said about writing a letter to someone higher up. I had a conflict with a store manager that I reported to who did many unthical things and violated WM policy.

If you decide to fight, I would recommend you document dates and times of conversations, who was present, and what was said. Also, document specific actions that they take. Include a copy of your documentation with your letter. Upper management will respond and you will get results - especially if they have acted in violation of Wal-Mart policies. Remember, if you do not know the policy - they should all be available through the WM intranet for all associates.

I did this and my conflict was resolved favorably.

good luck

Bobbie

Guest Melanie Dawn
If you want to change this, you hit the entire corporation where it hurts: profits. The best ways to do that to a corporation is one of two aproaches legal and activist. For legal once ENDA passes, that will help. An activist aproach would be getting a boycott going. I'd join a boycott, picket and advocate others to do such a thing if you got out a call for that.

While this is a nice thought, If you sue wal mart, as large of a company as they are, even a class action suit would take YEARS to even get to trial, they would drag it and you through the mud in the mean time, also, a boycott won't even make Wally world blink. They are a multi-national company with ridiculous amounts of income, and people willing to shop there irregardless of what a particular group says/does.

not to sound harsh or mean, but life stinks.

Melanie Dawn

Guest Esperanza Xochitl
While this is a nice thought, If you sue wal mart, as large of a company as they are, even a class action suit would take YEARS to even get to trial, they would drag it and you through the mud in the mean time, also, a boycott won't even make Wally world blink. They are a multi-national company with ridiculous amounts of income, and people willing to shop there irregardless of what a particular group says/does.

not to sound harsh or mean, but life stinks.

Melanie Dawn

It is the very pessimism that stands in the way that has always stood in the way. To lay down and take that bullsh*t from some anti-trans sentiments in society would be to follow any historic precident to let others abuse you. It's my opinion that if we make our detriment economically to their profits (even a smaller amount) they will listen because $$$$ is all they understand and they don't want to lose ANY of their profits. It is the ultimate weakness of corporate greed. Hit them where it counts. Of course it may not be as simple as one tactic, but we stand more loss to let them throw that sh*t at you. I think of Cesar Chavez who fought and won. Organize, organize organize...

Guest Melanie Dawn
It is the very pessimism that stands in the way that has always stood in the way. To lay down and take that bullsh*t from some anti-trans sentiments in society would be to follow any historic precident to let others abuse you. It's my opinion that if we make our detriment economically to their profits (even a smaller amount) they will listen because $$$$ is all they understand and they don't want to lose ANY of their profits. It is the ultimate weakness of corporate greed. Hit them where it counts. Of course it may not be as simple as one tactic, but we stand more loss to let them throw that sh*t at you. I think of Cesar Chavez who fought and won. Organize, organize organize...

I'm not being pessimistic, i am being realistic. I think I heard recently that the lgbt community in the US is 5-7% of the total population, seeing how wal mart open a new store like every day, even if it's 10 million (way over estimating), wal mart won't blink at that, any loss of profits from the entire lgbt community (and i'm sure not all of them would anyway) the new stores would make up for it. I'm not saying let them abuse you, just don't go to wal mart. making some sort of 'grass roots' movement (and this really isn't like Chavez) really won't make a difference. No matter what group you are a part of someone won't like you, it's the nature of the beast (humanity as a whole), and frankly it's not worth the effort to even try and relate, understand, or make an effort to effect a HUGE company like them. they will laugh at you and turn their backs. that's the root of american capitalism, profits, and if they lose them (lgbts) they will get others from somewhere else, sadly we will always be "second hand citizens" because american has their heads up their you know whats)

Melanie Dawn