• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Happy Work Story

Guest WastelandBoat

Guest WastelandBoat

I work nights at a home improvement store because I have huge social anxiety issues. Unless the crowd makes me comfortable.. I'm usually panicky. (Anime Conventions and Pagan Festivals sooth me.) But outside of that, work wise. I do behind the scenes stuff, right? I have for 6 years. Who wouldn't whos pre-op and trans and just wants to remain below the radar on top of everything else!

Well for about two hours I'm on the floor every night before the store closes. Usually I am unloading the truck. And once in a while people stop me and ask for help. But lately. A LOT and I mean A LOT of people get the right gender. To hear "Hey young man!" "Sir!" "Excuse me Buddy!" really is nice to hear.

One lady called for my help, thinking I was a guy(well I am ;)). When she.. couldn't tell up front what I was when I came to her, and I dodged her apology.. I guess she 'got it' and let me help her. She was so happy with how informative I was and how enthusiastic I was. How much I knew about the garden work she was doing. Usually around people I shut down. Shut off. I'm very quiet. But.. just hearing those RIGHT pronouns and terms. :)

Part of me feels... The more I listen to my mind. The more male-looking I'll be with out hormones, just the way I move, talk, react. That.. it will just work its own magic. Before I can make my own repairs.

• Admin

Great story, hon.

Its very true that you really don't need hormones to pass a lot of the time. Sure, it helps, but self confidence and a little practice go just as far.

I'm glad that you're learning that lesson.

I hope you have a lot more such encounters. They build on each other, and so will your confidence.

Carolyn Marie