• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Just Realized Something...

EVAN_DESU

Because I am a rebel against the system, I like to draw random portraits while my art teacher isn't looking. (hahaha)

I DO work on the assigned things, but I draw faces as well...

Well she happened to pass by me as I was drawing a random person from my imagination and she told me it looked androgynous.

It made me think...

When I'm drawing without any specific thing or person I want to draw in mind, they always come out androgynous looking.

The girls who sit at my table even comment saying "Not another he-she" and things like that. >_>

When I DO draw with a specific gender in mind 9 times out of 10 I choose male.

The only times I choose female are when I'm drawing a girl I have a crush on or something like that....

I find a lot of times I go into drawing, wanting to draw a male, winds up looking completely female, and I get coments on them saying "Oh, she's so pretty!" I've gotten tired of saying "It's supposed to be a guy..."

Because then they ask "Why the long hair? Why the make up? Why all the feminine features?"

Most of the times when I draw, I try to make subtle masculine features, with many female ones.

It's just something I've realized....

Guest Alex Blitzen

That's really interesting. A lot of times when I draw faces, they start out as human and usually end up changing to something else entirely lol

Guest Zolrek

The men I draw turn out pretty manly but young looking unless I mean to make them look more andro(although rarely). I never draw faical hair on any of my guys. I didn't really think about that till I read your post.

If you like to draw your men that way then thats cool. I know a lot of artists who draw andro men.

For example:

gender.jpg

Hes suppose to be andro.^

Guest Ashley C.

Ugh. If I could draw, I would totally make comic strips. You guys are very lucky. Speaking of which....if you're looking for a writer to provide some plot and some characterization to what you're drawing, I'm your girl haha ;).

All I like to draw is anthromorphic animal people and and I'm still not very good at it. >.< Also if my family ever found the pix I drew, they would chimp. No nudes or anything but they learned over the internet about furries and would give me nonstop flak about it. Such a bad stigma made worse by the /b/tards on the internet... *sigh*

Also very nice pic there Zolrek! Way better than anything I could draw lol.

Guest meagan

An interesting self observation and really cool. I had not thought about my own drawings before in this manner. But thinking now, i know for certain that if i wish to draw a man, it will be a man with all the classic male characteristics to leave little doubt, same if i draw a woman, it will be a woman. What i do a lot with my drawings and more so with my paintings, is i leave out the major details and have lots of open or blank spaces. That way the viewer has the opportunity to auto fill in the missing spots and thus make the image less or more masculine or feminine. I did it this way after i learned how the brain will automatically add in missing elements to an image to form a complete picture or visually correct it.

Guest Evan_J

When I was in gt, my therapist one week unexpectedly asked me to draw several things. He didn't explain why or give much information. Just asked me do it. One of the things was (exact wording ) "a person". What I drew was a pencil version of a man; pecs, goatee, some ab muscles, crotch. I'm purposely leaving out the remainder of the "assignment" in case anyone else encounters it, but in essence after it was all over, he said "most people, when asked to draw 'a person' tend to draw that which most closely represents themselves . On the occassion that they draw an opposite sex it typically is one representing a sexual interest and is depicted in a way focusing on that (like a woman but scantily clad , or a man with an exposed huge member). Its interesting because essentially thats what you do. When you draw a woman you draw ones you have an interest in. The rest of the time it could be argued that you are drawing "yourself" as you may see you.