• Welcome to the TransPulse Forums!

We offer a safe, inclusive community for transgender and gender non-conforming folks, as well as their loved ones, to find support and information.  Join today!

Anyone Else Noticing This? Period From Hrt?

Guest Hanayuki

Guest Hanayuki

Hey everybody!

I searched around a little on this forum, but I couldn't find anything relating to this...

Okay, so I've been on HRT for 3 months (as of today =D)

Towards the end of the first month on HRT, I started feeling a little weird, my stomach was aching quite a lot for a few days, I had a huge increase in appetite, and I really was an emotional rollercoaster lol... (went from totally cheerful to depressed, getting mad at anyone for just saying a wrong word and so on...)

That lasted for approximately 6 days or so. I thought it was just a coincidence.

Then, a few days ago, the exact same things started again (and my tummy still hurts, ugh)...

So I was wondering, is it possible that the hormones make you get a sort of period? So, if I had normal female organs, I would be having my period now?

I don't know if I'm just imagining things, but I do know that it's the second time already and the stomach ache sure doesn't feel fake >___<

So I asked a friend in maths this morning where it normally hurts and that's exactly where I have aches o.O

What do you all think? Just wondering :D

• Admin

Not sure about the tummy aches, hon, but it certainly is possible.

The mood swings, oh yes. Mood swings are part of the package for sure. Spiro seems to make them worse,

but I'm not on Spiro (Finesteride instead) and still get them.

Enjoy the ride, hon, because you are on the roller coaster, for sure.

Carolyn Marie

Guest Donna Jean

Hey, Hanayuki!

Let me ask you a quick question first....OK?

Do you cycle any of your HRT?

I know girls that take Progesterone in cycles for 10 days a month...that could be the cause if you do that....

If you don't, I really don't see how you could be having those symptoms on a regular basis...

Natal women's hormones cycle and that's what starts her monthlies...

Maybe just a big coincidence?

Mood swings are a big factor, though!

Donna Jean

Guest Jewel
Hey everybody!

I searched around a little on this forum, but I couldn't find anything relating to this...

Okay, so I've been on HRT for 3 months (as of today =D)

Towards the end of the first month on HRT, I started feeling a little weird, my stomach was aching quite a lot for a few days, I had a huge increase in appetite, and I really was an emotional rollercoaster lol... (went from totally cheerful to depressed, getting mad at anyone for just saying a wrong word and so on...)

That lasted for approximately 6 days or so. I thought it was just a coincidence.

Then, a few days ago, the exact same things started again (and my tummy still hurts, ugh)...

So I was wondering, is it possible that the hormones make you get a sort of period? So, if I had normal female organs, I would be having my period now?

I don't know if I'm just imagining things, but I do know that it's the second time already and the stomach ache sure doesn't feel fake >___<

So I asked a friend in maths this morning where it normally hurts and that's exactly where I have aches o.O

What do you all think? Just wondering :D

Natal women who have intact and functional internal reproductive systems often experience cramps or abdominal pain during their period or during ovulation. And outside of those times, they can also experience hormone-level related abdominal pains due to other causes like endometriosis. But the cause of these pains in natal women isn't really applicable to trans women. If you're experiencing stomach pain, it's something else. Likely you just had a stomach ache. But if it persists, you may want to ask your doctor. One possible problem with HRT, though it is rare, is problems with the liver.

As for mood swings... they can be related to changes in your estrogen and progesterone levels. Normally you shouldn't be experiencing much of that unless your doctor has you intentionally cycling progesterone (rare, but some doctors do this). Although when first starting HRT, some trans women experience mood swings while their body is adjusting to the new "chemistry."

Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor - for real advice on this, talk to him or her.

Guest Hanayuki
Hey, Hanayuki!

Let me ask you a quick question first....OK?

Do you cycle any of your HRT?

I know girls that take Progesterone in cycles for 10 days a month...that could be the cause if you do that....

If you don't, I really don't see how you could be having those symptoms on a regular basis...

Natal women's hormones cycle and that's what starts her monthlies...

Maybe just a big coincidence?

Mood swings are a big factor, though!

Donna Jean

No I don't (just estrogen, though I did get asked if I wanted to be put on progesterone too) =)

As I said, it might really just be a coincidence, but twice is a little weird, no? Especially since I was experiencing none of the symptoms in between..

But then again, maybe I'm just imagining things and being paranoid..

I asked my endocrinologist, and he said he wasn't sure, so that was of no help at all lol...

And if I remember correctly, I somewhere read a post about a mtf girl who had that too... Too bad I can't find it again, I think it was on a different forum :/

I guess I'll have to wait how it goes on, and if it happens again next month, then there definitely is something and I guess I'll ask my endo again then ^^

Hey, who knows, there are many things left undiscovered lol..

But if it was true, that would be interesting and a proof that with the proper transplantations, getting a period isn't impossible... Okay, probably only in one or two decades... But it'd still be interesting!

Guest Elizabeth K

I had some of that at first, but traced it back to the sausage, pickles, anchovies and watermelon pizza (I now have them put the sausage on the side).

Seriously - I am one of those girls on the cycled progesterone. I also use spiro and fenisteride together. But I found it took about six months to finally balance out. I didn't have the cramps on any schedule, only when I was trying to keep my belt cinched up to get a waist.

I know none of this helps - I just felt like yacking I guess.

lizzy

Cycles without progesterone are highly unlikely but it seems that nothing is truly impossible after all we are changing everything about our physical bodies - blood chemistry si an amazing thing there is a lot that it can do.

A quick note Lizzy, I am making my own pizzas!

Love ya,

Sally

Guest Hanayuki

I also think that it's highly unlikely, but bodies can react weirdly... Nothing's impossible :D

Oh, forgot to mention: My endo did say "males" (from a biological point of view...) also produce progesterone,(is that true? Never heard of that, I thought progesterone was only produced in genetic females :o) so it could be possible if my body somehow regulated the progesterone produced but that seems extremely unlikely to me... He wants to test that next time though, just in case =)

Aaah, but if next month, it starts again, there's gotta be something to it ^^

Seems stupid, I know, but I'd actually be happy if it started again next month lol I guess I'm weird...

Okay, so I guess I'll have to wait for the tests and for time to just pass...

Thanks for all your answers :D

PS: I want a Pizza tooooo! :o

• Admin
I...traced it back to the sausage, pickles, anchovies and watermelon pizza (I now have them put the sausage on the side).

lizzy

OMG, Lizzy! Its a wonder you're still with us. :blink:

Breath mint? :P

Carolyn Marie

Guest Kieri

For what it's worth, I've seen at least a few posts elsewhere about transwomen developing monthly cycles - no blood or anything, but emotionally. Especially if they're living with other women. When women live together their cycles tend to synchronize over time, so I would not be at all surprised if the same were to happen with us.

Guest Jo-I-Dunno
Oh, forgot to mention: My endo did say "males" (from a biological point of view...) also produce progesterone,(is that true? Never heard of that, I thought progesterone was only produced in genetic females :o)

Males and females are basically the same to begin with except for genitals (and even those are kinda similar if you look at scientifically), and then hormones control all the other changes. Everyone has a little of every hormone. Women have a little testosterone. Men have a little estrogen. We need them all. Men and women just have different balances, and we have HRT to tip the scales in our favor.

I am 2 years on hormones and i am one who does have monthly cycles, it started before i started taking progesterone, around the 13th of the month you do not want to get me mad, i do get slight bloating, irritable and cry easily and no i am not intersexed, not at least according to the test i took, at first i did not know what it was but a GG friend pointed it out.

Paula

Guest kameryn_gymnast

Contrary to what people may think or say, yes some transwomen do have periods(minus the bleeding of course).

Some may experience bloating, fatigue, iritability, cramps(im not for sure but have heard of it happening) around the same time of the month every month.

PS:Lots of girls are not on cyling progesterone that this happens to.

It doesnt happen to everyone but it does to some, and from what i read(on some different forums) it usually starts about a year after being on hrt.

I hope i get one though because i would love to complain about my period just like every other girl...lol :P .

Guest NatashaJade
Contrary to what people may think or say, yes some transwomen do have periods(minus the bleeding of course).

Some may experience bloating, fatigue, iritability, cramps(im not for sure but have heard of it happening) around the same time of the month every month.

PS:Lots of girls are not on cyling progesterone that this happens to.

It doesnt happen to everyone but it does to some, and from what i read(on some different forums) it usually starts about a year after being on hrt.

I hope i get one though because i would love to complain about my period just like every other girl...lol :P .

Oh, I can do without the achy bloaty crabbiness. I'm already crabby enough! I've never known a girl to be happy about having a period. The only way I would be happy about getting one is if it were the real thing. ;)

luv

Gin

Guest kameryn_gymnast
Oh, I can do without the achy bloaty crabbiness. I'm already crabby enough! I've never known a girl to be happy about having a period. The only way I would be happy about getting one is if it were the real thing. ;)

luv

Gin

Lol i understand but for me i just get all bubblyy inside thinking about having one(I know its wierd because who would want that but i actually do).

I guess its a womanhood type of thing with me && having girl talk about our periods lol :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest NotClaire

I usually just get really depressed and angry when I'm tired or hungry. Before starting I could stay up for a day or two without sleep, but now if I don't get my beauty rest I'm really b-word-y and start crying my eyes out over simple things ha ha :lol:

• 1 month later...
Guest samantha cupcakes

I do, i get the same exact way mine starts around the 5th but can vary a couple days behind or ahead...i get the bloating, i feel like stomach cramps, migranes, and im more easily iritated. Ive been on hormones for 7 months now and i started getting those symptoms around the 3rd month, then never got any worse really but they just seem to always suck still lol...but i just noticed last night that im getting some clear stuff coming out of my breast, is that normal...i was massaging the tissue and i got liquid on my fingers and im just really confused, ive heard of lactation being possible but this early on and im growing like really fast too, im almost a b-cup...so i think that some of us maybe have a special gene of some sort. But if anyone can answer my question that would be great thanks :)

Guest N. Jane

I have had some kind of cycles ever since puberty but I didn't know what it was when I was young, only that sometimes I was better able to deal with things and other times I just hid because I knew I was to emotional/sensitive to deal. At 18 they found I had cyclic oestrogen, like 1/2 normal female levels (which explained the breast development) before I started HRT, so then I had a reason to be bitchy LOL!

With SRS (24) I didn't think about it again for years until my husband of 10 years objected to my statement that I didn't have PMS and showed me the calender where he kept track. Oops! :blush: There was no physiological reason why I should have cycles but I couldn't argue (well I COULD have but it wasn't "that time" :rolleyes: )

I am now in my 60's and knew there are still times when I am sharp and times when I would rather not deal with issues but I don't bother keeping track.